Woeful Home Atmosphere

Dusic

This is becoming quite a big factor in our slide down the table. I would say playing at home gives an advantage to the opponent at the moment - in a big way.

There isn't exactly a lot of supporting happening. Some players take unfair abuse, the likes of Tadic, Redmond and Forster - the latter two have been ruined partly by a lack of any support. Bertrand was the target last night.

No new player songs, can't remember the last time the whole stadium sang OWTSGMI.

The whole ground is so tense and it definitely transmits to the players. Any oppo Manager will be telling his team to deny us a fast start and then wait til the crowd get stuck into their own team.

I read on here about protests and constant chanting about sacking the Manager but that will not help one bit. It will just make an already ****e home atmosphere even worse.

For a relegation battle the home atmosphere has to improve, as well have 3 or 4 massive home games that are truely must-win. A couple of popular signings will help, but fans also need to kick themselves up the arse a bit IMO.

Aside: another way to reduce your home advantage is by providing an absolute turdburger of a pitch that negates the way the team tries to play. We didn't adapt to the conditions and Palace did but I bet Pellegrino was livid at the groundstaff for letting it get like that, even if some elements were outside of their control. Very unfortunate. Fine margins in the PL and on the day Ralph told everyone how great the whole setup was. Oops.

It's a bit chicken and egg.... If the players looked like they cared, or showed some effort or value for their wages, then the fans would lift too. Yes the negative vibes don't help, but this lot would think a round of applause would mean they can take it even easier.....

If the players show effort and start winning games and creating entertainment, the atmosphere will follow. It's a two way thing really. I'm not going to be shouting my support for Tadic whilst he is rolling around the floor holding his broken fingernail after he's passed it sideways for the 5002352052th time.

If the players show effort worthy of being supported, then they'll be supported. As long as they keep putting in these disjointed half arsed backwards-sideways displays then the stadium isn't going to get behind them. It's not like we're Huddersfield, being that we have 20 points is an amazing achievement thus far. We have amazingly under-preformed in all area's so there really isn't anything to encourage us as fans. There are certain players who are not playing at their level and need to have a long hard long at themselves before they get prolonged support.

There were attempts last night to create a decent atmosphere, but when you see the crap which was served up in the 2nd half you do start to wonder what's the point?

It's a bit chicken and egg.... If the players looked like they cared, or showed some effort or value for their wages, then the fans would lift too. Yes the negative vibes don't help, but this lot would think a round of applause would mean they can take it even easier.....
Exactly this. The turgid atmosphere contrasts with some of the games the year we got relegated from the prem which were some of the best atmospheres ever seen at St Mary's because the players actually cared. Certain performances it is impossible to support because the players aren't trying hard enough.

In fairness to the fans, any club finishing top 8 in the preceding 4 seasons who find themselves GD above drop zone first week of Jan are going to have pi** poor atmosphere on a wet and windy Tuesday night. Going further back than last night, the fans have seen average one Home league goal a game for over a season and a half now. This, IMO, is compounded by something we didn’t see last season under Puel but has crept in under MP-being obviously out fought on home turf by mediocre sides.

While I don’t expect the atmosphere to be remotely positive for the rest of this season, I totally agree about the chants around the manager and actively creating a hostile environment for your home players-talk about counterproductive. A lot of the muppets where we sit (Kingsland North) were clearly not around in relegation battles of the past 12 years because they sound like spoilt little brats at the moment, crying at Puel, boo him, crying at Pellegrino, boo him. If you’re going to boo, save it for the end instead of spouting off chants about the manager from 80 minutes.

Specifically on last night-I thought the surrendering (again) of the advantage in the game killed any atmosphere that was starting to build from Long’s goal. That was not a night for holding out for a 1-0, not leaving a man up as an outlet at a Palace set piece ALL NIGHT or sending your only centre forward on the pitch scurrying down the flanks to leave Tadic as a makeshift CF. Or for that matter taking off your best player with plenty of game left.

Think MP’s tactics kill any potential atmosphere and have since the get go this season. I personally go hoping for a neutral rather than hostile atmosphere at the moment but fear that may become a pipe dream next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe if some of the midfielders made some effort to get up front instead of indulging in their comfort zone sideways and backwards possession, whilst often just unloading the ball to avoid having to run with it, the crowd would wake up a bit rather than being bored stiff by the rubbish being served up.

This is becoming quite a big factor in our slide down the table. I would say playing at home gives an advantage to the opponent at the moment - in a big way.

There isn't exactly a lot of supporting happening. Some players take unfair abuse, the likes of Tadic, Redmond and Forster - the latter two have been ruined partly by a lack of any support. Bertrand was the target last night.

No new player songs, can't remember the last time the whole stadium sang OWTSGMI.

The whole ground is so tense and it definitely transmits to the players. Any oppo Manager will be telling his team to deny us a fast start and then wait til the crowd get stuck into their own team.

I read on here about protests and constant chanting about sacking the Manager but that will not help one bit. It will just make an already ****e home atmosphere even worse.

For a relegation battle the home atmosphere has to improve, as well have 3 or 4 massive home games that are truely must-win. A couple of popular signings will help, but fans also need to kick themselves up the arse a bit IMO.

Aside: another way to reduce your home advantage is by providing an absolute turdburger of a pitch that negates the way the team tries to play. We didn't adapt to the conditions and Palace did but I bet Pellegrino was livid at the groundstaff for letting it get like that, even if some elements were outside of their control. Very unfortunate. Fine margins in the PL and on the day Ralph told everyone how great the whole setup was. Oops.

The advantage that other teams have at the moment at St Mary's is that they are much better teams than we are.

At least a third leave way before the end.

We are the worst supporters in the league at the moment, woeful. We’re good at taking the **** out of other sides supporters on this forum, but absolutely ****ing hopeless at actually walking the walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this not just the way some modern football fans behave, with their shiny scarves and manicured beards?? Not that there's anything wrong with either scarves or beards. I get the impression from around my seat that those leaving early are often the ST holders who've been there for maybe a handful of years. Even more annoying is when they start chiming in with utter rubbish that those of us who've been there a while just raise our eyebrows and sigh at.

It's got nothing to do with how we're playing. The atmosphere has been crap at home for years, even when we were doing alright. And quite frankly it's crept into the away support recently too. The OP is correct. Bar Lemina, no songs for the players, OWTSGMI is a complete dirge when it's repeated umpteen times by a couple of hundred making an effort, and a couple of ****y songs about the irrelevant lot down the M27. Our support is a ****ing embarrassment.

I’m absolutely sick and tired of some clever bugger coming on here and blaming the supporters.

Last night at half time the team were clapped off, they were leading and had done ok, not brilliant but ok.

Now, second half, it wasn’t me or any single fan in that ground that told them to drop deeper, pass the ball sideways and backwards and basically forget about attacking. It wasn’t one single fan decided to make a nothing substitution when the away manager made pro-active changes. It wasn’t the supporters who were clueless about what to do out on that pitch.

If it had been a one off performance or had the players given everything the fans would have stayed with them. But it wasn’t a one off, they didn’t give everything and most people in that ground could see what was coming as it has so often this season.

So if you want to point the finger point it towards the pitch, the touchline and the directors box. Don’t point it at the loyal supporters who still turn up and watch this crap.

Our fans have always been **** at home and plenty of empty seats as always.

Exactly this. The turgid atmosphere contrasts with some of the games the year we got relegated from the prem which were some of the best atmospheres ever seen at St Mary's because the players actually cared. Certain performances it is impossible to support because the players aren't trying hard enough.

I don't agree our atmosphere has always been crap, but it is now and getting worse.

I agree with Hypo about our relegation season, that 4-3 game against Norwich in particular the atmosphere was incredible and probably helped play a part in the win, but it just feels different now, it doesn't feel like we are all in it together.

The flat, turgid atmosphere is a reflection of the flat, turgid football that we've been served up for the last 18 months and apathy has crept in in a big way. Unfortunately going to SMS now is a chore and not an enjoyable experience, and there is also very little bond between the fans and players. After the events of the last few years it just feels like all players are just passing through and don't really care, it's very hard to get behind that. Personally I'd like less songs about the players and more about the club/city, but first we need to somehow get rid of this wave of apathy that seems to prevail.

What a load of horse ****. Negativity breeds negativity. The players don't care and many are simply going through the motions. When Redmond got stick for passing the ball back to half way when we are at their 18 yard box is a prime example of why we are so poor. Here in Italy and I'm sure in Spain too the fans will get on your case quickly if you don't seem to be trying. They will boo you if you keep looking to pass back. I think even Liverpool fans do that and they are lauded for their supposed support.

When your club is playing so poor, the board room seems full of clueless money grabbers and a new foreign owner we know nothing about it is hard for people to jump up and down and cheer when you are losing at home to say Burnley or whoever.

If the manager and players showed positive play and actually put in effort then the crowd would respond to that. So now we have some people blaming the fans for our results. You really couldn't make it up...

At least a third leave way before the end.

We are the worst supporters in the league at the moment, woeful. We’re good at taking the **** out of other sides supporters on this forum, but absolutely ****ing hopeless at actually walking

Actually against Huddersfield most were there until the end despite us being bloody crap so don’t try and blame the crowd ‘Ralph’

The problems are on the pitch driven by the dugout!

It is not the fans fault that Pellegrino is pretending to be a football manager

This: I am tempted to stop going for this very reason. I have watched Saints for many years and a lot of the time they were rubbish but the fans weren't. Pompey fans I work are saying the same thing. I feel Eastleigh could be my destination next year unless we get relegated and the fair weather fans do one.

I’m absolutely sick and tired of some clever bugger coming on here and blaming the supporters.

Last night at half time the team were clapped off, they were leading and had done ok, not brilliant but ok.

Now, second half, it wasn’t me or any single fan in that ground that told them to drop deeper, pass the ball sideways and backwards and basically forget about attacking. It wasn’t one single fan decided to make a nothing substitution when the away manager made pro-active changes. It wasn’t the supporters who were clueless about what to do out on that pitch.

If it had been a one off performance or had the players given everything the fans would have stayed with them. But it wasn’t a one off, they didn’t give everything and most people in that ground could see what was coming as it has so often this season.

So if you want to point the finger point it towards the pitch, the touchline and the directors box. Don’t point it at the loyal supporters who still turn up and watch this crap.

Exactly this.

I made the effort last night on a ****ty tuesday evening, rushing straight from work, through rush hour traffic, without any tea, to take my seat at 7:45pm. I cheered the Saints on from kick off and celebrated Longs much needed goal. BUT, the writing was on the wall early on in second half. It was obvious to most of us that Palace were getting on top and it was no surprise they turned us over.

I drove home angry and hungry. But somehow i'm being told by others fans i'm not doing enough?

I'm with the OP on this; as a long-time Archers Road veteran, I've been saying for a while that the Northam needs to have a long hard look at itself. I'm happy to go with the argument that you need something to get most of the crowd going, but the hard-core section should not need that. In fact, they can be the ones to get the team and rest of the crowd going. I don't care how crap the team are (and we never let that get us down too much in the 90s, when we were mostly appalling), we're called supporters, but the ground seems to be mostly full of customers at the moment.

To be absolutely clear, for the more hard-of-thinking among you, I'm not excusing the appalling manager, or some of our players's "performances", but we have a role to perform too, and we're currently as ****-poor as the team.

I have been a Saints fan for an embarrassingly long time

When I was a lad watching Saints in the Third Division South we never expected much so the expectation/disappointment level was low.

It has cranked up over the years, none more so since the Liebherr take over.

Expectation levels have risen significantly in recent times and I can well understand the negative feelings of those younger fans who are more used to a decent level of performance of success.

I will be at St Marys next season, possibly on my own, as I fear that 4 or possibly 5 of my group have had enough of the regular turgid home performances since Koeman left.

Last night we had a well paid squad that cost well over £100m and I doubt, on recent performances, that they would be more than mid table in the Championship under our current manager.

Sell off those who are of value, and too expensive to keep next year when we are relegated, and I can forsee a similar situation that last years relegated teams are currently experiencing.

However the ritual is in my blood and I expect to be suffering in a half empty stadium next season.

It will be interesting to see what the club decide on season ticket prices next year. Probably no change on the basis of 5 more home games!!

I'm with the OP on this; as a long-time Archers Road veteran, I've been saying for a while that the Northam needs to have a long hard look at itself. I'm happy to go with the argument that you need something to get most of the crowd going, but the hard-core section should not need that. In fact, they can be the ones to get the team and rest of the crowd going. I don't care how crap the team are (and we never let that get us down too much in the 90s, when we were mostly appalling), we're called supporters, but the ground seems to be mostly full of customers at the moment.

To be absolutely clear, for the more hard-of-thinking among you, I'm not excusing the appalling manager, or some of our players's "performances", but we have a role to perform too, and we're currently as ****-poor as the team.

I was in the Northam last night and there was plenty of singing and support being given to the team. If other parts of the ground don't think it's good enough or loud enough they are free to join in, or make up their own songs if they don't like what we sing. BUT stop f*cking moaning and do something about it!

I was in the Northam last night and there was plenty of singing and support being given to the team. If other parts of the ground don't think it's good enough or loud enough they are free to join in, or make up their own songs if they don't like what we sing. BUT stop f*cking moaning and do something about it!

Plenty? Was there f*ck. Given the rest of the ground was practically silent, I'm pretty sure I'd have heard this "plenty of support".

I'm in the Family Stand, pretty sure there's nothing I can do that will make the blindest bit of difference to the atmosphere in the ground, it's the Northam that needs to do it, it's what the Archers used to do.

Actually against Huddersfield most were there until the end despite us being bloody crap so don’t try and blame the crowd ‘Ralph’

The problems are on the pitch driven by the dugout!

It is not the fans fault that Pellegrino is pretending to be a football manager

Don't write pony. Huddersfield fans were singing "oh when the saints go marching out" as our "loyal supporters" were heading to the exit. Second game running because Leicester sang the exact same song. Why was that if nobody was leaving. I sit at the end of an aisle in the Kingsland and week after week there's a steady stream leaving from about 85 mins, regardless of the score . Last night it was as soon as they scored the second. Anyone who doesn't think our support at home is pitiful is deluded.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Don't write pony. Huddersfield fans were singing "oh when the saints go marching out" as our "loyal supporters" were heading to the exit. Second game running because Leicester sang the exact same song. Why was that if nobody was leaving. I sit at the end of an aisle in the Kingsland and week after week there's a steady stream leaving from about 85 mins, regardless of the score . Last night it was as soon as they scored the second. Anyone who doesn't think our support at home is pitiful is deluded.

you of course stay to the very end of every single match no matter what the score - Leicester for example ?

Plenty? Was there f*ck. Given the rest of the ground was practically silent, I'm pretty sure I'd have heard this "plenty of support".

I'm in the Family Stand, pretty sure there's nothing I can do that will make the blindest bit of difference to the atmosphere in the ground, it's the Northam that needs to do it, it's what the Archers used to do.

I too was in the Northam and one of the most ridiculous load of boos I've ever heard came near the end of the 2nd half when Davis's only option was to go back to the keeper....literally no other option. I get the frustration but that to me showed that those booing have never played the game or simply don't understand when a player has only one outlet.

That aside, it was generally upbeat I thought given what was happening on the pitch.

The support from the whole Kingsland is **** even when it’s full so a few nobbers leaving early is not exactly going to effect the noise levels.

you of course stay to the very end of every single match no matter what the score - Leicester for example ?

I do actually, never know what you’re going to miss and being on the end of the aisle helps, as I’m straight out at final whistle.

2 or 3 down with a couple of minutes left I understand, but that’s not the case. Burnley 82 minutes gone, they’re off, yesterday 80 minutes they’re off, and we’re only 1 goal down. Last year we were 0-0 with Man Utd and people were leaving with 5 minutes left. It’s ****ing pathetic.

Singing to get the manager sacked would be a good idea - I can't think of a single fan that wants him to stay. Simple - replace the imbecile and the fans are rejuvenated resulting in a better atmosphere. I think it would give us all a lift and some hope that things may improve.

Our home support hasn't been good since koeman was here as the football served up has been awful. It's hard to cheer the rubbish MP coordinates

I do actually, never know what you’re going to miss and being on the end of the aisle helps, as I’m straight out at final whistle.

2 or 3 down with a couple of minutes left I understand, but that’s not the case. Burnley 82 minutes gone, they’re off, yesterday 80 minutes they’re off, and we’re only 1 goal down. Last year we were 0-0 with Man Utd and people were leaving with 5 minutes left. It’s ****ing pathetic.

FWIW I actually agree with you, I just don't understand why people leave early. I also can't get my head around people who rush to get food 5 or 6 minutes before half time either, what is all that about? But at the end of the day, you pays your money so the choice is yours I guess.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Since the start of last season, we've played 31 home games in the league. Of those, we've won 9, against Everton (x2), WBA, West Ham, Swansea, Burnley, Middlesbrough, Leicester and Crystal Palace. That is an absolutely woeful return, is it any wonder the majority of the home support is thoroughly bored and/or fed up?

Looking at that list and with the teams still to come to us this season, we appear absolutely ****ed.

Perhaps its just nostalgia and a failing memory but the atmosphere at home games began to die once we moved to St Mary's.

I think the mixture of a characterless ground and characterless football.

The Dell was rubbish on many an occasion, but at least we had Matt who usually got us going the majority of the time, and many other characters too.

Unfortunately we are watching dull, boring football being played by dull, boring players currently.

Ahh the code of honour again. Those that leave early so much worse than all the armchair cnts on here bleating about their stream and never giving the club any revenue.

I have only ever left early on an evening game and we are getting well beat. The sanctimony around it as if playing time is sacred though is laughable. Although a group of lads in front of us at boxing day walked out 5mins after half time.

Ahh the code of honour again. Those that leave early so much worse than all the armchair cnts on here bleating about their stream and never giving the club any revenue.

I have only ever left early on an evening game and we are getting well beat. The sanctimony around it as if playing time is sacred though is laughable. Although a group of lads in front of us at boxing day walked out 5mins after half time.

Why does anyone ever care what a bunch of people who happen to support the same club as them choose to do with their time? When I see people walk out I simply shrug my shoulders, they are generally completely unrelated to me and have the right to walk out if that's what they want to do. I tend to leave a couple of minutes early if the game is petering out because I don't want to be stuck at the top of a stand for ages.

One thing I will say is, we used to sing OWTS much faster. We really should mix it up a little. A WHU mate even commented that it sounds miserable how slow we sing it. Sure the slow sounds good, but lets start fast too, to try and lift things a little. This in no way excuses the dire performances (Just trying to be constructive)

Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is deluded!

Rather arrogant wouldn’t you say...

Your persistent unsubstantiated defence of our players, directors and management who you seem to think are beyond reproach is your perogative but please do not try to blame the fans for the recent poor management, on all levels of our club.

Poor performance deserves to be criticised in any walk of life where you are paying for the privilege, SFC is not exempt from the opinions of its fans and where deserved should expect criticism.

In terms of the op, what a load of cr4p. We've been served the most turgid football imaginable for the last 18 months and won less than a third of our home games in that time. Added to which half the players don't seem to give a sh1t.

On a more general level, support these days is a different animal to 30 years ago. It wa great in those days when 5000 away supporters would turn up to trade abuse to 10000 home supporters, often preceded or followed by a good rumble in the streets, sometimes with a pitch invasion in between. Ah yes, the good old days when supporters really cared and knew how to show it ...

Roy Keanes famous prawn sandwich remark in the middle of an era when United won everything sums up modern football support - it is more middle class and it is quieter. But it's also less racist, sexist, homophobic and violent. You get a good atmosphere when people are genuinely excited, like Huddersfield this season as they're delighted to be in the league, or Leicester in their unbelievable season. Outside of that, atmospheres across most grounds are pretty much the same. Quiet, middle class and a bit dull. We're no different in the main.

Only this season we are, because the football is rubbish, the commitment and effort of players is rubbish, and the entire support knows we have no hope if we don't sack the manager ... And we won't. So how do you expect supporters to get excited and create any sort of atmosphere? Rather than moan that we aren't making any noise, the club should be delighted that even one person turns up to watch this sh1t.

Want a better atmospheres? Sack the manager, start trying to attack and make some effort on the pitch. That should do it.

Since the start of last season, we've played 31 home games in the league. Of those, we've won 9, against Everton (x2), WBA, West Ham, Swansea, Burnley, Middlesbrough, Leicester and Crystal Palace. That is an absolutely woeful return, is it any wonder the majority of the home support is thoroughly bored and/or fed up?

Looking at that list and with the teams still to come to us this season, we appear absolutely ****ed.

Aren't our season tickets in the top 8 for most expensive in the league as well?

Very poor value for money at home.

One thing I will say is, we used to sing OWTS much faster. We really should mix it up a little. A WHU mate even commented that it sounds miserable how slow we sing it. Sure the slow sounds good, but lets start fast too, to try and lift things a little. This in no way excuses the dire performances (Just trying to be constructive)

The slow version is dreadful. I’ve never liked it.

I didn't say it was loud enough to keep all parts of the ground happy, BUT that there was plenty of support.

Need a drum to shut the away fans up plus get the Itvhen and Northam singing together.

Btw I’m not suggesting a drum fir 90 minutes, just to kick start the fans every 15 minutes.

I would introduce a couple of people with loudspeakers to rally the crowd, but that’s more of a European thing and I’m not sure it would go down well here.

I’d be in favour of a drum.

Perhaps all the Northam people need to migrate to the Chapel and make that stand our ‘singing’ end. The away fans aren’t going to be moved.

Good Post I compltely agree