Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

A welcoming song with apologies to Radiohead...

You float like a feather

And score great goals

And I wish I was special

You're so f-in special

But I'm a Saint, and you are Guido

It's so great to have you here

You f-in belong here

Dry your fanny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's so much pathetic nonsense on here about Pellegrino.

Even if one accepts he isn't a very good manager/coach (I'm still in the give him more time camp), why does that make him a poor judge of a player? MoPe played the game at the highest level, and so you have to suspect he knows a good player when he sees one.

And why dis a player simply becaue he is (or may be) Pellegrino's choice? Odd.

I don't know, maybe playing Redmond and Tadic on the wrong wings, or taking umpteen games to realize he needed a goal scorer (Austin) up front and to replace the statue in goal with someone who could actually move. Or making random substitutions that make no sense, rather than ones that counter the other teams changes. Or taking a solid 8th place/Cup final squad (which was strengthened with Lamina and Hoedt) into the relegation zone.

It's subtle things like that I guess.

Edited by Dark Munster

Not saying he will be prolific but

Rickie Lambert wasn’t great in his early career only about 1 in 5 then a good season for Rochdale before back to 1 in 5 early at Bristol Rovers then it clicked

Graziano Pellè was less than 1 in 5 before Feyenoord when again it clicked

Here’s hoping Guy has been keeping his powder dry to make his Saints career going with a bang & some fireworks

Also maybe he can suggest possibility of playing 2 up front

I don't know, maybe playing Redmond and Tadic on the wrong wings, or taking umpteen games to realize he needed a goal scorer (Austin) up front and to replace the statue in goal with someone who could actually move. Or making random substitutions that make no sense, rather than ones that counter the other teams changes. Or taking a solid 8th place/Cup final squad (which was strengthened with Lamina and Hoedt) into the relegation zone.

Q.E.D.

Good points, but not exactly related to the questions you were replying to! What's any of that got to do with whether this fella is a decent player or not?

Let's not judge him on his first few games either. I remember when Pelle played his first games and he looked absolutely awful, completely out of his depth, as though we'd accidentally signed a Sunday league player.

But he came good, and I'm sure this guy will need time to adjust to the rigours of a different league, not to mention a whole new bunch of players...

Patience required, although for reasons not of Carillo's doing, we don't have much time for him to come good. Tough gig for the lad, fingers crossed for him.

I hope this isn't going to be like Pelle and the crowd start jeering him in his first match having already decided he's ****.

He might well be ****, but I hope we can get behind him for at least a few games!

Seems to be nowhere near as good technically as Pelle. Does seem to be much more of a player whose effect is felt in the box and who requires good, early service like Gabbiadini does.

About time we got lucky/a record signing lives up to expectations; I look forward to seeing his face up on the top bar after he has scored one hundred goals in the next 4 years we have won a trophy and ignored all bids from up the M6 tp pay £80M for him.

Let's not judge him on his first few games either. I remember when Pelle played his first games and he looked absolutely awful, completely out of his depth, as though we'd accidentally signed a Sunday league player.

But he came good, and I'm sure this guy will need time to adjust to the rigours of a different league, not to mention a whole new bunch of players...

Patience required, although for reasons not of Carillo's doing, we don't have much time for him to come good. Tough gig for the lad, fingers crossed for him.

This is very true, but we are absolutely desperate for someone to hit the ground running and be a catalyst for change. Settling in/bedding in is a luxury we cannot afford. He'll know this.

Personally this is why I think we should have been signing someone who has been a first team regular, rather than tying ourselves in knots with pointless stats desperately wringing out a statistical goalscoring legend from a pitiful number of appearances. We've signed someone who has no concept of being the main man in a team, none at all.

Anyway, the comparisons with Micky Evans are only slightly tongue in cheek - we really need him to play that role. We need an impact signing to make an impact.

Gabbiadini did it last season, so it can be done.

Edited by CB Fry

This is very true, but we are absolutely desperate for someone to hit the ground running and be a catalyst for change. Settling in/bedding in is a luxury we cannot afford. He'll know this.

Personally this is why I think we should have been signing someone who has been a first team regular, rather than tying ourselves in knots with pointless stats desperately wringing out a statistical goalscoring legend from a pitiful number of appearances. We've signed someone who has no concept of being the main man in a team, none at all.

Anyway, the comparisons with Micky Evans are only slightly tongue in cheek - we really need him to play that role. We need an impact signing to make an impact.

Gabbiadini did it last season, so it can be done.

Carrillo hasn't played whole games much in the last few years so I think he will mainly be used as an impact sub., which as long as he scores and helps us win games will still be OK. Long can run around for the other 70 minutes.

Carrillo hasn't played whole games much in the last few years so I think he will mainly be used as an impact sub., which as long as he scores and helps us win games will still be OK. Long can run around for the other 70 minutes.

.... it gets better and better

But this in essence doesn't actually change the situation that we are currently in ? We needed a striker that can hold the ball up, provide support from the front and weigh in with his weight in goals too. I know its lazy but there is a reason many of us say that we needed to replace Pelle, and I agree.

I'm sure that there is a player in there somewhere, and I am very hopeful that Carillo can stuff all of our words down our throats. Realistically Saints have a decent scouting/analytical department, and I'm sure they have done far more research than we have. However, I need to echo what CB Fry said earlier, we needed a player to change the dynamic, to allow MoPe (who apparently we are sticking with) to get the most out of his stubbornness...hhhmmm.... chosen tactics.

Long isn't the answer, he works hard but invariably this means he is never in the box when we need him

Gabbiadinni isn't the answer, unfortunately it seem he doesn't work in a lone front man formation (though why he isn't played in AM like he did at Napoli and Italy I don't know)

Austin isn't the answer, unfortunately he can't be relied upon, and although he is a goalscorer doesn't hold the technical ability to link up play.

I'm hoping GC can hit the ground running, but as a player that hasn't played much, isn't used to the league or the system, history says this may take a while.

But this in essence doesn't actually change the situation that we are currently in ? We needed a striker that can hold the ball up, provide support from the front and weigh in with his weight in goals too. I know its lazy but there is a reason many of us say that we needed to replace Pelle, and I agree.

I'm sure that there is a player in there somewhere, and I am very hopeful that Carillo can stuff all of our words down our throats. Realistically Saints have a decent scouting/analytical department, and I'm sure they have done far more research than we have. However, I need to echo what CB Fry said earlier, we needed a player to change the dynamic, to allow MoPe (who apparently we are sticking with) to get the most out of his stubbornness...hhhmmm.... chosen tactics.

Long isn't the answer, he works hard but invariably this means he is never in the box when we need him

Gabbiadinni isn't the answer, unfortunately it seem he doesn't work in a lone front man formation (though why he isn't played in AM like he did at Napoli and Italy I don't know)

Austin isn't the answer, unfortunately he can't be relied upon, and although he is a goalscorer doesn't hold the technical ability to link up play.

I'm hoping GC can hit the ground running, but as a player that hasn't played much, isn't used to the league or the system, history says this may take a while.

We do have a history of signing players who haven't been starting regularly for their club. But, if we get Quincy Promes, we really will have a player who can hit the ground running. He has been playing whole games regularly in Russia and scoring goals.

We do have a history of signing players who haven't been starting regularly for their club. But, if we get Quincy Promes, we really will have a player who can hit the ground running. He has been playing whole games regularly in Russia and scoring goals.

But the Russian League has been on winter break for a while now. Last game was about 7 weeks ago I think. Don't start again until March.

relative to who? ... Aguero, a league 1 striker? etc...

Since these are stats from Ligue 1 I guess its "relative" to other strikers in that league first and foremost in the same way goals scored in a season are best compared to other players in the same league.

These stats just show that he gets in good positions, and is quite involved in build-up play aswell (XgChain).

Not saying he will be a success but I'd rather look at these stats then the listen to the opinion of random Monaco fans on a messageboard as an indication of what kind of player he is. But in the end we'll all have to wait and see and hope he comes good.

Anyone at the game care to share their opinion on how his ten minutes or so went today?

Was surprised he played more in a midfield role rather than up top, so impossible to judge really. I'd have pulled Long into a slightly deeper and/or wider position and put Carrillo up front, which, after all, is why we signed him (?). He definitely doesn't have any pace about him, but we knew that anyway

Anyone at the game care to share their opinion on how his ten minutes or so went today?

At first glance he reminded me a lot of when BT first started playing for Saints as a kid, the same high running action.

He looked a bit unsure of the slippy playing surface which was cut up by the time he came on, of course he may have been wearing the wrong studs for those conditions.

His lack of pace was telling. He looked energetic and won a header. I wish him luck but I was hoping for a taller and zippier forward

Sounds like you've described Charlie Austin there.... which probably isn't a bad thing given Carrillo is supposedly a direct replacement for Austin whilst injured. That said, what happens when they're both fit is anyone's guess!

Sounds like you've described Charlie Austin there.... which probably isn't a bad thing given Carrillo is supposedly a direct replacement for Austin whilst injured. That said, what happens when they're both fit is anyone's guess!
not a scenario that we are likely to see. lol

Was surprised he played more in a midfield role rather than up top, so impossible to judge really. I'd have pulled Long into a slightly deeper and/or wider position and put Carrillo up front, which, after all, is why we signed him (?). He definitely doesn't have any pace about him, but we knew that anyway

Long up top meant Watford hard to be careful playing a high line with the threat of his pace getting in behind.

A lot of fans underestimate Austin's pace. He is faster, more skilful and a more prolific goal scorer than Carrillo. They are both good headers.

A lot of fans underestimate Austin's pace. He is faster, more skilful and a more prolific goal scorer than Carrillo. They are both good headers. Austin should go straight back into the team when he's fit as he makes a massive difference. But 70 minutes is about his limit. Carrillo is an impact sub. So it will be ideal to bring Carrillo on as a sub for Austin.

A lot of fans underestimate Austin's pace. He is faster, more skilful and a more prolific goal scorer than Carrillo. They are both good headers. Austin should go straight back into the team when he's fit as he makes a massive difference. But 70 minutes is about his limit. Carrillo is an impact sub. So it will be ideal to bring Carrillo on as a sub for Austin.
of we are paying £20m for an impact sub. then we have got fully on board the west ham transfer bus

19m for an impact sub yeah!

We may as well have take Ulloa on loan from Leicester. At least he's got some premiership experience. I see WHU are trying to sign Pelle. Surely he would have been a better option for us?

You might have a point if Carrillo isn't better than Austin.

Love the fact he was given game time against Watford only for our clueless manager to put him behind Shane Long. Pretty much in a number 10 position. :lol:

To be fair, the manager knows him better than we do. He's worked with him before, probably knows he can be effective there.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo