Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

:lol: He'll be signing up to try and keep us from getting relegated and he'll know it. It's not as if we're cut adrift at the bottom of the league is it? There are other sh1t teams around us and if we managed to have the balls to hold on to a lead we'll pull away. A couple of decent players that are strong characters will help with that respect.

Ignore him. Since the oddball was caught sniffing bicycle seats, he's been having to get his kicks on here. Surely you can see through the ponderous, hamfisted trolling?

Spent a bit of time watching him this morning a little more i depth. I can see what Monaco fans mean by his ability in the air. Some bullet headers. Would be quite pleased to see him attacking some of our crosses from Tadic, Bertrand and JWP. Either might make Cedric look accurate every now and then.

Agreed. No reason for some people to be so negative about his arrival - if he comes.

I just can't understand people writing him off already!

Agreed. No reason for some people to be so negative about his arrival - if he comes.

Quite right I like to give a new player at least 15 minutes of game time to impress me..

Seriously though I wouldn't mind some one who could get his head on a few more of our crosses or maybe JWP corners.

Feel a bit for him as he is being judged on the basis that he has quite clearly been picked by Pellegrino. Unfortunately many have lost all confidence in his (Pellegrino's) ability.

That being said, if he comes and scores 6-10 goals a keeps us up, all will be forgotten. Who knows, he could be the man who turns Pellegrino into the next Alex Ferguson.

Spent a bit of time watching him this morning a little more i depth. I can see what Monaco fans mean by his ability in the air. Some bullet headers. Would be quite pleased to see him attacking some of our crosses from Tadic, Bertrand and JWP. Either might make Cedric look accurate every now and then.

What crosses do we put in then?

Ignore him. Since the oddball was caught sniffing bicycle seats, he's been having to get his kicks on here. Surely you can see through the ponderous, hamfisted trolling?

I sometimes wonder just how bizarre a troll can behave and still get bites of certain posters. This chap is clearly some form of deluxe alpine and still gets nibbles.

Is Les Reed upping the offer at £1 a time,how long do these talks take? I am pretty sure if we were flogging a player Les & co could wrap that up in no time
If he is really on a selling commission it is in his interest to take a long time getting the player in as cheaply as possible, when the Wonga comes in for selling he's quids in

Haven’t a lot of Austin’s goals come from headers this season, suggesting the supply is there, but we don’t have the players to exploit it.

3 of the 6.

According to the PL stats in the league we've scored 5 headers all season (that would be two without Austin then) considering we have delivered 487 crosses (the 4th highest in the league to date) and a 144 corners so far this season that seems like a poor return (even given that some of those corners and crosses wouldn't have been delivered at height and the variable quality of some of the others)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_hd_goal

Interestingly the season we finished 6th under Koeman we scored the most headers in the league (15) and ranked second in the league for crosses 956 and 220 corners

That says to me this guy might be a decent buy if he is as good with his head as is being suggested.

Edited by doddisalegend

So we’re gong for the ‘boot it in the air’ tactic then. The beautiful game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As opposed to what?

Crossing by full backs has been a big feature of saints play for years worked well when we had a Lambert or Pelle up front. We still put a lot of crosses in but we dont have CF to profit from it.

Also a big CF gives a chance to mix it up we don't have to go long all the time but it would be good to be able to play it long at times and have someone who could hold the ball up rather than have it come straight back at us. Just look how effectively throwing on a big man and going long worked for Watford in the last game as well.

So we’re gong for the ‘boot it in the air’ tactic then. The beautiful game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have had a big man up top since league 1 to Puel. It's exactly what we did with Adkins, Poch and Koeman.

You crumpet!

Edited by Saint86

Well I agree but he's lauded as some sort of god on here.
no he isn't

he is lauded as we are Appalling in front of goal. our top striker is injured for a couple of months and no one has come in yet as we slide into the relegation zone

I think people just want us to try something different with the players we have left

As someone has pointed out on Twitter to those scoffing at us signing a Monaco back up, Gabbiadini was 3rd choice at Napoli.
And hes failed so far, which is why we need to sign a striker who has a proven record of actually scoring some goals.

Dutch league, French League, Belgian League, to be honest I'd take Scotland or the Championship if we just sign someone that has actually put the ball in the net 20 -30 times the last year.

If we sign this guy and he fails then no one can say they are surprised, he's got Shane Long stats and can't currently get a game. I ain't no black box but it's a no from me.

On the face of it I would prefer Slimani, hasn't been great at Leciester (no shame playing second fiddle to Vardy though) but has a decent scoring record everywhere else, especially at Sporting. However, I can't see leicester wanting to take that much of a hit on the £28m they paid for him last summer which will probably price us out of a move.

On the face of it I would prefer Slimani, hasn't been great at Leciester (no shame playing second fiddle to Vardy though) but has a decent scoring record everywhere else, especially at Sporting. However, I can't see leicester wanting to take that much of a hit on the £28m they paid for him last summer which will probably price us out of a move.

This. If we want the big man up top, which I think we do (and IMO should be looking into because it just gives you a different option, a decent defensive option at corners etc) then I'd plump for Slimani. He can actually score goals with his feet and head, and has scored well in the past. Carillo does not inspire confidence in me.

Me too but I suspect the possibility of Les going to do business with Puel might be given short shrift (I know, maybe Les' equivalent but it doesn't fit my point..)

To be honest, considering Chelsea seem to be looking at Crouch and Carroll, as well as an aging Dzeko (who'd be a decent signing) maybe this guy does not sound so bad.

Seems to be a dearth of decent Target men around, look at the amount of clubs that seem to be interested in Giroud and I'm not really sure he's that effective in the air.

Also is Slimani any better than this guy? Been pretty average at Leiecester, is 3 years older and really has only had one really good season in his career and that is the Portuguese league, and Van Wolfswinkel was a 1 in 2 man in that league for Sporting.

I kind of feel goals in Portugal, are like goals in Holland, and scoring in Championship regularly is probably a lot harder.,

Edited by tajjuk

To be honest, considering Chelsea seem to be looking at Crouch and Carroll, as well as an aging Dzeko (who'd be a decent signing) maybe this guy does not sound so bad.

Seems to be a dearth of decent Target men around, look at the amount of clubs that seem to be interested in Giroud and I'm not really sure he's that effective in the air.

Also is Slimani any better than this guy? Been pretty average at Leiecester, is 3 years older and really has only had one really good season in his career and that is the Portuguese league, and Van Wolfswinkel was a 1 in 2 man in that league for Sporting.

Giroud is a criminally underrated player IMHO. His link up play is utterly brilliant.

Giroud is a criminally underrated player IMHO. His link up play is utterly brilliant.

Agree - Absolutely no chance of him coming though, unless we were willing to pay him stupid money (I actually think he'd be worth it).

I can't see him being too happy at Arsenal if they sign Aubameyang. Maybe a loan? Again, think he could do much better than us if we went abroad.

Agree - Absolutely no chance of him coming though, unless we were willing to pay him stupid money (I actually think he'd be worth it).

I can't see him being too happy at Arsenal if they sign Aubameyang. Maybe a loan? Again, think he could do much better than us if we went abroad.

Oh well, yeah, Giroud, now you're talking. If we could get him in either purchase on loan, that would be signing of the season. Hideously good player, exactly what we need, but out of our price range... :(

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/guido-carillo-southampton-propose-20-millions-1353771.html

An update from RMC (Radio Monte-Carlo). We’ve made a 20 million euro bid. The player’s father is in Monaco leading negotiations apparently. They won’t let him leave until they find a replacement.

We’ll be lucky to sign him before the Brighton game IMO.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/guido-carillo-southampton-propose-20-millions-1353771.html

An update from RMC (Radio Monte-Carlo). We’ve made a 20 million euro bid. The player’s father is in Monaco leading negotiations apparently. They won’t let him leave until they find a replacement.

We’ll be lucky to sign him before the Brighton game IMO.

Guardian sports reporter on twitter now saying our 20mill bid has been rejected

Ed Aarons from the Guardian is saying on Twitter that Monaco have rejected a 20m Euro bid from Saints for Carrillo.

Could be, Jardim said today that he doesn't want to sell anybody. So that's an "up that bid significantly before we even think about it" then.

More tha 20 million euros for Carrillo just has to be a p*ss take though.

Could be, Jardim said today that he doesn't want to sell anybody. So that's an "up that bid significantly before we even think about it" then.

More tha 20 million euros for Carrillo just has to be a p*ss take though.

Well if that's the case, then maybe we should go after Slimani instead. Already proven in PL and will be hungry to do well.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo