Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

@TeleFootball: Monaco agree to sell striker Guido Carrillo to Southampton for £19.2m | @JBurtTelegraph reports

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/24/monaco-agree-sell-striker-guido-carrillo-southampton-192m/

Get a move on!

Patience. He has to select a watch, learn to play the piano, shoot the video and kiss his old team mates goodbye first.

Mods should be doing the honours soon buddy. Welcome to team Heisenberg.

Most of those are not big target men strikers. Carrillo is being signed as a replacement for the injured Austin.

btw still waiting for the sponsorship...

giphy.gif

Will the wait ever end? It has been nearly 3 weeks now! :?

Mods should be doing the honours soon buddy. Welcome to team Heisenberg. c669004f62c201be5e967f7ad665c716.jpg

15e52b70802a7db97d63b08b421a33e9.jpg

Edited by Heisenberg

So, the answer to S-Clarke's question is 0 times then.

Maybe he will be good, maybe he will be ****. Won't know until we see him play for us.

The answer to his question was the answer I gave. I've not seen a rhino take a dump ever, but I still know from texts, studies and other facts, that's it's a pile of ****. Like I said comparable to Long in terms of goals vs apps but you could argue Shane has that rate in tougher leagues.

This is a classic case of people getting excited about us signing someone just because it's a signing, not because he's any good.

You only have to look at his stats ffs, 184 apps 43 goal in two very **** leagues. For comparison Long has 86 in 380, they're almost comparable. We need someone who can score, not a tall mate for MP.

I'd rather see his starting stats, which won't include two minute substitute appearances...

From the videos he seems to get a few goals from picking up rebounds from other player's shots. Also looks decent enough in the air.

So need to start pinging in a lot more shots to see if he can capitalise + get crossing.

Overall he reminds me of Pelle, if he's anywhere nearly as good then he'd be more than useful. We'll see.

The answer to his question was the answer I gave. I've not seen a rhino take a dump ever, but I still know from texts, studies and other facts, that's it's a pile of ****. Like I said comparable to Long in terms of goals vs apps but you could argue Shane has that rate in tougher leagues.

This is a classic case of people getting excited about us signing someone just because it's a signing, not because he's any good.

I don't see anyone really getting excited over it, I see a lot of people with an open mind and maybe a tinge of relief that we're signing a player with attributes we lack. You tell us we can't be excited (which we're not) and that is one extreme, yet it's OK for you to flip it the other way and rant against him, having not actually ever seen him play. The fact you're comparing him to Shane Long kind of suggests you have no idea the sort of player he is, a quick google will show you that he is a player in the mould of a target man. Not always the prettiest of players, but often the most effective in bringing others into the game.

So, I think most are open minded, not excited. Yet you seen to having a meltdown of your own over someone you've never seen. Go figure.

I don't see anyone really getting excited over it, I see a lot of people with an open mind and maybe a tinge of relief that we're signing a player with attributes we lack. You tell us we can't be excited (which we're not) and that is one extreme, yet it's OK for you to flip it the other way and rant against him, having not actually ever seen him play. The fact you're comparing him to Shane Long kind of suggests you have no idea the sort of player he is, a quick google will show you that he is a player in the mould of a target man. Not always the prettiest of players, but often the most effective in bringing others into the game.

So, I think most are open minded, not excited. Yet you seen to having a meltdown of your own over someone you've never seen. Go figure.

Pretty much this.

No one is expecting the next Zlatan but for a team that have been in the top 6 for crossing stats in the League every season bar our first one back it seems to be mad not having a target man, that is decent with his head, in the squad. He may not be the answer but at least it feels like we are asking the right question.

Pretty much this.

No one is expecting the next Zlatan but for a team that have been in the top 6 for crossing stats in the League every season bar our first one back it seems to be mad not having a target man, that is decent with his head, in the squad. He may not be the answer but at least it feels like we are asking the right question.

Very true.

Fair summary, though the Monaco forums don't really see him as your hold-the-ball-up type of target man who you can rely on in deeper positions or away from home. He's much more dangerous aerially in the box which is a good thing given our tendency to cross.

Fair summary, though the Monaco forums don't really see him as your hold-the-ball-up type of target man who you can rely on in deeper positions or away from home. He's much more dangerous aerially in the box which is a good thing given our tendency to cross.

Just having some threat in the air will help I think, given our lack of any physical presence up top we'll probably be pleasantly surprised by even average hold-up ability!

A Target man is not a lot of good when we only play one up front. does this mean that we are going to be changing our system that we have been playing?

No its fine playing him up front on his own as long as the other attacking players get up to support him. Who ever players in behind him needs to anticipating the knock downs and flick ons and running beyond him into the box.

A Target man is not a lot of good when we only play one up front. does this mean that we are going to be changing our system that we have been playing?

If you play one up top, I'd think a target man is exactly what you want? He's probably not an out and out target man per-say, but I will bet you his ability in the air will bring the other attacking players into the game more (and thus open more space). Look at Crouch, Benteke, Okaka, Vokes, Barnes - not great players at all, but they still effect a game because of their presence.

I'm thankful we have someone who can add to the goal tally. Monaco are no mugs, they obviously saw something in him and when he starts it seems he plays pretty well. Can't make it up on this forum though, some crying we're not signing anyone then crying when we do because "stats" don't look good enough, glad we have the experts to sort the team out.

Pretty much this.

I agree.

He's clearly hand picked by the manager, who has had him before, so I can only assume (hope) that he has a vision of how he wants him/us to play.

Who knows, this could kick start his (MP's) career with us (look at Puel with Leicester having players that suit his philosophy).

Mopey wants to play with width and crosses into the box (see spurs) etc. This guy will finish those chances.

Plus we are adding in Quincy who looks at least semi tasty.

On the face of it, the board appear to be acting to at least get in some much needed quality. Not sure where it leaves the trio of Boufal, Tadic and Redmond however. All have been very poor at times this season.

We do need a CB though!

If we don’t bring in a winger in this window, I wonder if the manager will consider playing Long in a wider position with Carillo playing as the lone central striker.

I’m also thinking of all the times we’ve been undone by headers this year. Burnley and Brighton spring to mind, not to mention Spurs at home. This could be just the kind of player we need.

According to the stats from WhoScored.com, he's got the 4th best minutes per goal ratio since the start of the 2016/17 season in France. He's quite far down the list of goals scored in that time (11) but he seems to make most of his appearances from the bench.

They've also got him winning 6.9 aerial duels per 90 mins. His average passing stats aren't great, though!

I just don't see how the bloke is worth 22 million euros. Perhaps I'll be surprised by some quality or other that no one has seen before. The only good thing is that the pound has crept up a wee bit these last couple of days so he's probably no more expensive than he was, in pound in you pocket terms anyway, last week.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I expected Gallagher to be in around the team this season as a replacement for Jrod but his loan was for the season wasn't it? So we can't use him even if we wanted. Given our circumstances we need to get another striker through the door.

1) Gallagher cannot be recalled

2) Gallagher has 5 goals in his last 7 games. Moving him upfront rather than out wide has seen him become very dangerous in recent weeks

I get that we can't recall him but why loan him out in the first place and where does this leave him for next season?

I actually mentioned that we could work on another 2 deals ;)

ITK?

For the first time in my time supporting Saints I have big reservations.

1. He is a Pellegrino signing I don't trust his judgement

2. Our previous track record with South Americans

3. He is expensive and I doubt any better than Gallagher who we should have stuck with

4. We need someone to hit the ground running in the Premier League and he has no experience of British football

This is a massive gamble for the money mentioned and one I'd rather we didn't make.

I've always wanted to try Gabbiadini out wide in a sort of 4-3-3, a bit like how we played Jay Rodriguez under Poch. Maybe signing this guy would enable us to try it:-

McCarthy

Cedric Hoedt Yoshida Betrand

Romeu

Lemina Hojberg

Gabbiadini Boufal/Tadic

Carillo

Might work, might not but worth a try in the cup at the very least. Would at the very least give us a bit more attacking threat.

For the first time in my time supporting Saints I have big reservations.

1. He is a Pellegrino signing I don't trust his judgement

2. Our previous track record with South Americans

3. He is expensive and I doubt any better than Gallagher who we should have stuck with

4. We need someone to hit the ground running in the Premier League and he has no experience of British football

This is a massive gamble for the money mentioned and one I'd rather we didn't make.

Entirely this.

He would be our record signing...and I'm not remotely excited by it.

Edited by Suhari

I've never understood the fixation with Gallagher. No manager picked him regularly. He went to MK Dons and didn't score a goal in 15 games.

Then he went to Blackburn and was better. 12 goals in 47 games. Pretty good.

Then he went to Birmingham and has 6 in 22 games.

He may well return as we have given him a contract but the club definitely don't see him as being ready yet - and the stats support that.

If we don’t bring in a winger in this window, I wonder if the manager will consider playing Long in a wider position with Carillo playing as the lone central striker.

I’m also thinking of all the times we’ve been undone by headers this year. Burnley and Brighton spring to mind, not to mention Spurs at home. This could be just the kind of player we need.

And Spurs away, and Huddesfield at home, and Arsenal at home, and basically everytime we play with a team that is on average a foot shorter than the one we are playing against

Saints got a big loan fee when letting Sam go to Birmingham. Typical Saints looked at the wedge first and foremost.

To be fair considering our strategy this season has seemingly been to always play with a single striker up top that would presumably mean that Gabbiadini, Austin and Long were all ahead of Sam in the pecking order. Perhaps the club thought it better to let him go on loan for more first team experience rather than spending most of his time bench warming? A decent fee obviously helps but i'm not sure anyone was predicting both our lack of form overall and the lack of form/injuries to all 3 of our first team strikers either.

If we are keeping our manager, then it makes sense to give him the players he wants to fit how he wants to play.

A constant cycle of hire and fire only leaves squads bloated and unfit for purpose. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Good luck to Carrillo.

Guido ???

Last person with that name tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament

Failed because he had no Matches

Lets hope he has better luck

Nah, he failed as he was left up front on his own whilst the rest of his crew were held back in defence. None were able to make the killer pass and slide the matches through to him as he was isolated whilst surrounded by 4 of the opposition. If the plotters had played a 4-4-2 system the world would be a different place today.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo