Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Anyone else hear the totally football podcast today? The french football expert basically laughing at this deal saying 'he's not a very good player' and that Monaco are brilliant at selling.

There is nothing that could be better designed to inspire greatness of spirit and heroic rebellion better than a French man laughing at you.

I bet they said Boufal was the mutts nuts and he has been a massive disappointment...

He was in Ligue 1 but the Premier League is much harder.

"On 9 January 2015, Boufal transferred to Lille in Ligue 1, instantly making an impression, scoring 3 goals in 14 league games. The next season, he continued to impress, scoring 12 goals in 35 appearances in all competitions and attracted interest from some of the biggest clubs around the world."

To be fair, they get a lot of things wrong on that show and say things to fit their own narrative. Pretty sure they thought Pellegrino was a very good appointment at the time and look how that's turned out. You don't turn up at Monaco if you're 'not very good', may not be top quality but he's clearly at least a competent player and of a type that we need. Fingers crossed!

Why would a French football expert be running the rule over an Argentinian manager who had worked in Spain?

It's quite astonishing how our mythical black box, with its array of super powers, has unearthed this gem who just happened to play with Pellegrino previously. Who'd have thought it? Almost like all those managers it employs, who just happen to be without a club.

When he pulls on that red n white shirt with that beautiful badge in his chest and crosses the white line, he has my full support... As always... We're going to be integral to this team for the remaining fixtures. Spurs atmosphere was great, more of the same fellow supporters

Had a look at the highlight reel of him and his goals. One thing that does show in each goal he scores he shows excellent movement - looks like the sort of striker who thrives on byline crosses, seems very quick to react to rebounds and scores strikers goals. I expect his touch and other aspects of his game to be far worse than Pelle, but his "in the box" movement is exactly what we're missing with Gab/Long who don't gamble at all.

I'll say it gently, he isn't what we want but he's what we might need to start scoring the easy chances that we're missing constantly.

His goal return is sh it.

On my planet someone not getting game time means they're not getting selected ergo they ain't much cop.

Absolutely mind boggling that this is being used to help you massage numbers to pretend he is a world beater.

Personally I am looking forward to this guy turning out for us and banging in a goal every other game just like he sort of has if you, like, calculate it by minutes and divide it by the, er, goals and we carry the one and honest he is Paulo Rossi when he gets going.

at no point have I said or pretended he’s a world beater, just merely pointing out his goal return isn’t as bad as a lot of people seem to think. As for not starting games, he has some world class players ahead of him and there’s no shame in that. It doesn’t mean he’s 5h!t, just not a world class player but it doesn’t mean he can’t improve us.

Anyway, welcome to the club Guido!

I'm in the camp that says we almost certainly could have found someone with a better record for the amount of money we've spent on this deal.

I could see this deal making sense long-term if we were comfortably in the top half, although in that scenario it probably doesn't happen.

But he's here now, he's fit, he wants to play, and he may end up putting away some of the many crosses we do put into the box.

I'll judge him at the end of the season. If he keeps us up that'll be great and I'll name my first born after him. Probably.

If we go down he's not really the one to blame anyway.

Lol love this stat that everyone clinging too like that plank in titanic! he's meh just you wait and see!

There are other things about him that can be criticized (he's a bit slow, his all round game is nothing special), but his goal scoring record at Monaco is not one of them. Only the mathematically illiterate on here seem to think we should just look at his goals per game stats and ignore how many minutes he gets per game.

There are other things about him that can be criticized (he's a bit slow, his all round game is nothing special), but his goal scoring record at Monaco is not one of them. Only the mathematically illiterate on here seem to think we should just look at his goals per game stats and ignore how many minutes he gets per game.

And what about the rest of his career? He wasn't even prolific in the poor aregentine league! You've found one stat that you are going to cling to while ignoring the overwhelming evidence that says he is meh let's see who is right at the end of the season!

Any discussion about his goal record is odd as he's clearly not a goalscorer. You wouldn't debate Hoedt's goal scoring ability or Romeu's finishing. That's not Carrillo's job and won't be why we've bought him (the stats show clearly goalscoring isn't his forte). We'll need him to be good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Fingers crossed. Good luck Guido.

Didn't get picked, didn't score.

Good luck at Saints Guido, let's hope you are better than your career suggests and let's hope you don't spend too much time on the subs bench you are so familiar with.

Looking at where his League 1 goals have come from...

15/16: 3 headed, 1 right foot

16/17: 3 headed, 2 left foot, 2 right foot

17/18: 4 headed

Crosses will be needed to get him on the score sheet.

Aren't we second in the league for crosses put into the box?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Anyone else hear the totally football podcast today? The french football expert basically laughing at this deal saying 'he's not a very good player' and that Monaco are brilliant at selling.

Then we can only hope Carillo has taken this onboard and is determined to ram it back down his Gallic throat. In an ideal world.

This signing is the clearest indication yet that the board are backing and are going to stick with Pellegrino as Guido is clearly his man with strong connections from their days together in Argentina.

Is he registered in time and fit to feature at some point on Saturday?

I for one am going to get behind our new signing and cheer for him when he gets on the pitch.

He is a striker which we need, currently we have Gabbi who isn't scoring, Long who isn't a weekly performer and Austin who is injured.

With Tadic and Bertrand who can put in an excellent final pass, and JWP/Cedric/Bertrand who can put in a cross and JWP/Bertrand from a corner, I think we need a player like Carrillo to give us some presence in the box.

I'm optimistic (always) and if Promes signs I think it'll be a very good window.

I for one am going to get behind our new signing and cheer for him when he gets on the pitch.

He is a striker which we need, currently we have Gabbi who isn't scoring, Long who isn't a weekly performer and Austin who is injured.

With Tadic and Bertrand who can put in an excellent final pass, and JWP/Cedric/Bertrand who can put in a cross and JWP/Bertrand from a corner, I think we need a player like Carrillo to give us some presence in the box.

I'm optimistic (always) and if Promes signs I think it'll be a very good window.

Here, here. If we can get a big lump CB with some class too, we can go places.

But you need pace to beat the fullback hence we are in for a pacy winger Bertrand and Soares are also now more important and need to be on form plus Boufal may have an outlet

I think David Beckham proved once and for all that you don't need to be able to beat anybody to supply a decent cross, you just need to create a yard of space.

The new bloke has got a lot of pressure on his shoulders, I'm a bit concerned he is not up to the job especially as he has obviously been targeted by Perilgrino, but he needs all the help he can get so good support from the fans is critical.

More importantly, I will feel more at ease if we can bring in a decent attacking midfielder/winger before the window closes who can carve out opportunities for him.

Here's hoping.

Welcome to the club and good luck you will need it if you don't score first couple of games!

Watching a bit on him on youuutube, looks to be a player who doesn't just watch the ball, he anticipates the ball quite a bit and gets a lot of goals via shots parried or deflected. Looks decent in the air too which is nice.

There's so much pathetic nonsense on here about Pellegrino.

Even if one accepts he isn't a very good manager/coach (I'm still in the give him more time camp), why does that make him a poor judge of a player? MoPe played the game at the highest level, and so you have to suspect he knows a good player when he sees one.

And why dis a player simply becaue he is (or may be) Pellegrino's choice? Odd.

But you need pace to beat the fullback hence we are in for a pacy winger Bertrand and Soares are also now more important and need to be on form plus Boufal may have an outlet
Or you cross earlier from deep, as Leicester demonstrated incredibly effectively. Not every cross has to come from the byline.

Ironically, although clearly not a world class forward, I think Carillo has the attributes to be the final piece of the puzzle.

Unfortunately that puzzle is not Southampton. We are so wedded to a single idealogy that suited the skills of our former players, but does not suit those of our current players, that we seem doomed to trying to jam square pegs into round holes, rather than actually considering our current strengths and playing to them.

Logic dictates that our front three 'should' (if for transfer value reasons over anything else) now be Carillo, Gabbiadini, and Boufal.

Carillo: has (or appears to have) height, heading ability, and sheer 'annoyance' factor in the box (ie ability to draw defenders and create space for teammates purely by his presence). Does not have: hold up play, technical ability (passing or shooting) further back.

Gabbiadini: has speed of thought, movement around the box, technical ability (particularly creating space in small areas and short distances when the ball is moving), finishing from short and medium range. Does not have: excessive pace, strength, hold up play, long range ability (passing or shooting), technical dribbling

Boufal: has outstanding ability when 1-on-1 with the ball, long range shooting (when not encumbered by defenders), can create space by committing opposition players, vision. Does not have: raw pace, a quick final ball (definitely has the ability but dallies too long, possibly because of where he tends to be on the pitch).

These three players have the perfect complimentary attributes to play with a front 2 and a 'proper' number 10. So I have no doubt we will continue to try and crowbar them into a 4-5-1/4-3-3 that neutralises most of their positive attributes and highlights their negative ones.

(Admittedly, there are some restrictions when you play a front 2 with a 10. In your midfield you need strong central rather than wide players, as you rely upon the midfield to break up and recycle opposition attacks, and create space through rotational positioning and overlaps rather than raw pace and dribbling. So it's a shame we don't have loads of central midfielders and no natural wingers then...)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have never heard of him, the same as all the other foreign players who have ever joined us, I don't do fifa football manager I suppose.

It is sad that our fans are happy to listen to 1 French football journo and make an instant decision that Guido is no good. Perhaps it would be better to see he fits in our team and if he can score.

It is pretty important the club has got this right,if he is indeed rubbish, then welcome to the Championship.

Welcome Guido and I suggest you don't read this forum as a large part of the posters aren't very good judges of footballers anyway and some want the team to fail just so that they can say 'I told you so'

By the descriptions of him, he sounds like a less broken Charlie Austin.

We look a much better team with Austin in it as a focal point than we do without and he scores goals, so IMO the club has worked that out and has basically looked for a younger, fitter Austin.

If the guy can hold up the ball, win some headers and get on the end of crosses it'll be a shrewd signing.

People should also remember that Ligue 1 football is different to Premier League football, this guy might have much better attributes for this league.

I have never heard of him, the same as all the other foreign players who have ever joined us, I don't do fifa football manager I suppose.

It is sad that our fans are happy to listen to 1 French football journo and make an instant decision that Guido is no good. Perhaps it would be better to see he fits in our team and if he can score.

It is pretty important the club has got this right,if he is indeed rubbish, then welcome to the Championship.

Welcome Guido and I suggest you don't read this forum as a large part of the posters aren't very good judges of footballers anyway and some want the team to fail just so that they can say 'I told you so'

You can read a balanced set of comments here:

http://www.asmfoot.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3978-guido-carrillo-le-petit-prince-du-rocher/&page=138

We should reserve judgment and keep our powder dry... ...He might go on to blow up the Premier League and set St Mary's alight with goals! Pretty sure the plot is to send in crosses, as he is quite explosive in the air.

Let's not chuck him on the bonfire just yet eh? Remember remember The Mickey of Evans.

Etc.

Welcome Guido UTS

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo