Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Every video that I've seen, or story I've read about him seems to say he's very similar to Austin in style rather than Lambert or Pelle.

Essentially a box player, who doesn't offer much outside the area.

Problem being, for that sort of player he doesn't seem to offer Austin's goal returns.

If he scores 4 goals and we win 4 games stay up will have been worth every penny

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm more interesting in which song we won't sing rather than whether he's any good.

Guido, woah oh oh oh oh oh

One for the money

Two for the show

Super Guido Carrillo

Oh Guido

(clap clap clap)

Car-ril-lo, woah-ho,

Car-ril-lo, woah-ho-ho-ho.

He came from Monaco

He loves Pel-le-grino

Car-ril-lo, woah-ho,

Car-ril-lo, woah-ho-ho-ho.

And will he have to go,

When we sack Pel-le-grino?

Austin's a box player.

I'd sort of hoped we'd be looking at someone who can hold the ball up to bring others into the game.

Saying that, if he does win us four games, then he is worth every penny. His movement does seem very good, and the timing of his jumps is impeccable.

Still, it'll be interesting to see how he fits into the squad. If he can outmaneuver premier league defenders to win headers from open play crosses then he'll work wonders.

Why are we paying so much for him (another record signing) if he never starts for them, they don't want him and he's a 1 goal in 4 game striker in very poor leagues? He best be good.

Because he’s Pellegrino’s ‘fwend’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are we paying so much for him (another record signing) if he never starts for them, they don't want him and he's a 1 goal in 4 game striker in very poor leagues? He best be good.

Prem teams overpay because they have the money, 20m is the old 10m.

All we can do for now is Welcome Gudio to the club and hope he can benefit from a front line built around him. We don't have much choice as if he fails, that might be it for our Premier league stint. So I'm hoping he can bang in enough goals to keep us up!

I would have liked to see us bid for Locadia (who went to Brighton for 10 million upfront) but this one has the MP nod, so he got him. It makes sense insomuch as if Reed is backing Pellegrino to stay on as manager, he has to back his picks in the transfer market as well. But the Brighton game will show us who made the better choice. I hope it's us.

I don't see anyone really getting excited over it, I see a lot of people with an open mind and maybe a tinge of relief that we're signing a player with attributes we lack. You tell us we can't be excited (which we're not) and that is one extreme, yet it's OK for you to flip it the other way and rant against him, having not actually ever seen him play. The fact you're comparing him to Shane Long kind of suggests you have no idea the sort of player he is, a quick google will show you that he is a player in the mould of a target man. Not always the prettiest of players, but often the most effective in bringing others into the game.

So, I think most are open minded, not excited. Yet you seen to having a meltdown of your own over someone you've never seen. Go figure.

I'm not telling you how to react to anything you make your own mistakes, and there are plenty on here acting excited and relieved to 'just be making a signing'. I'm saying it's an underwhelming signing for me, especially at 20m euros and when there is quite literally a target man for sale in the prem who has history in scoring goals. For once I agree with Pellegrino in that we shouldn't be signing someone just for the sake of it, and certainly not one selected by him who has a poor return in two leagues.

We are in a precarious position and we need to score goals now (I mean we can't defend for **** either anymore) so taking a 20m gamble on someone who has never been prolific seems like a ****ing awful business decision to me by a management team who, over the last two years, have a track record in this area.

If he comes in, bags us 8 goals he'll be worth every single penny and I'll be publicly wrong and you can all show me this thread again. If, however, he comes in and is as reported is basically Bambi on ice, then we've pretty much signed our own death warrant

They’re the complete opposite - they’re adventurous and score goals for fun. Thoroughly outplayed Spurs and City in the CL last season. Were one of the funnest sides to watch. If there’s any similiarity, it’s the emphasis on wingplay, though with Monaco, it comes from the fullbacks and proper hug the touchline wingers.

Good write up here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/03/four-simple-tactics-monaco-do-exceptionally/

cheers so they play 4-4-2 with Gallic flair wide men and 2 up front blimey they sound like Derry's wet dream of a team.

Not sure where this idea that he isn’t a goal scorer has come from. I posted earlier on this thread that based on his time on the pitch (because he’s been used as a sub in so many of his games) he’s averaging around a goal every 2 full games, which is half decent.

Not sure where this idea that he isn’t a goal scorer has come from. I posted earlier on this thread that based on his time on the pitch (because he’s been used as a sub in so many of his games) he’s averaging around a goal every 2 full games, which is half decent.

5, 8, 5 goals in the last three seasons: Shane Long stats. I think 4 of his five goals this season were in cup ties against French third and second tier teams.

Your fudging of the figures can't hide that.

I'd prefer someone who is a first choice and has scored 20 or so top level goals in the last calendar year.

Edited by CB Fry

It comes from 184 apps and just 43 goals in two very average leagues. Sure, I'll accept that his playing time has been limited at Monaco but that doesn't hide the fact he couldn't score in Argentina either...though that could have something to do with the useless coach he was playing under which isn't going to change coming here

5, 8, 5 goals in the last three seasons: Shane Long stats.

I'd prefer someone who is a first choice and has scored 20 or so goals in the last calendar year.

Go on then. Who could we sign who fits your specifications?

5, 8, 5 goals in the last three seasons: Shane Long stats. I think 4 of his five goals this season were in cup ties against French third and second tier teams.

I'd prefer someone who is a first choice and has scored 20 or so goals in the last calendar year.

Thank **** I'm not the only one who feels like this.

To be fair considering our strategy this season has seemingly been to always play with a single striker up top that would presumably mean that Gabbiadini, Austin and Long were all ahead of Sam in the pecking order. Perhaps the club thought it better to let him go on loan for more first team experience rather than spending most of his time bench warming? A decent fee obviously helps but i'm not sure anyone was predicting both our lack of form overall and the lack of form/injuries to all 3 of our first team strikers either.

You mean apart from most of us who said we needed to bring in a striker ever since Mane and Pelle left?

I'd prefer someone who is a first choice and has scored 20 or so top level goals in the last calendar year.

Harry Kane or Romelu Lukaku?

Good luck finding someone like that who isn't already playing for a top 4 team in a top European League. Unless you count Bas Dost.

Because the bloke who keeps him out of the Monaco team would cost a lot more.

I like the way that we are, apparently, having to pay extra because we have 75 million from selling VVD. Did Monaco give Mendy, Silva and Bakayoko away for free?

Well this is a significant gamble on a mediocre goal scorer and one that cannot hit a hefty strike. A box poacher type player that seems ok in the air which we are short of. We also need a Promes type guy so hoping that will happen too. Long has shown he can be a very good provider so we may see him as a wide player perhaps? Can see Redmond fading away and eventually returning to his level in L1.

It's not a serious injury, the Monaco forum believes he wasn't playing just to make sure it wasn't aggravated and for the deal to not be scuppered.

We're not going to waste £20M on another Austin who spends half his time on the treatment table.

But apparently we are going to waste £20M on another Long who can't score goals.

Good luck finding someone like that who isn't already playing for a top 4 team in a top European League. Unless you count Bas Dost.
Charlie Austin - 10 in half a season before, 18 Prem goals the season before

Graziano Pelle - 26 goals the season before we signed him.

Sadio Mane - 23 goals

Jay Rodriguez- 21 goals

Ricky Lambert - 29 goals

Billy Sharp - 10 in 20 game half a season

So yeah, I don't think it's impossible to bring in proven goalscorers whatever level we're at, and funnily enough I think the pool of strikers can extend beyond this guy who people are fudging figures to pretend he's some goal machine.

I'm more interested in the way that this might benefit our 4231 formation than what he's done before in the past. If we bring in Promes and Janssen, that is one hell of a window and all of the plastics can STFU and start getting behind the team.

Are we genuinely interested in Jansson too the CB?

I'm more interested in the way that this might benefit our 4231 formation than what he's done before in the past. If we bring in Promes and Janssen, that is one hell of a window and all of the plastics can STFU and start getting behind the team.

Do you think we want a centre-half? (I know we need one, but do the powers that be realise that?)

Promes and Janssen would indeed make this a good window as those signings alone would improve us. But don't start with the 'plastics' sh it because people are raising genuine concerns about a player without a genuine track record.

I'll still get behind the team and I still want them to win, but I don't like Mp and I'm unconvinced that letting him sign his mate is the best course of action for a struggling team with a relegation threatened squad.

Pellegrino on Carrillo: "Guido Carrillo is ready to play in the Premier League, the club made a great effort to bring him in and he can give us a lot" (Source: @teoserenelli) #saintsfc
Weird the manager is directly quoted as saying this when we haven't announced yet.

:mcinnes: I'm not fudging the figures. In fact I'm putting context around them. 18 goals in 3 seasons sounds 5h!t on the face of it but when you look at his game time and the number of goals per 90 minutes on the pitch, the return isn't bad. This isn't fudging the numbers, it's called analysing them.

What the numbers don't show is the situation behind those goals (i.e. is the standard of opposition (as you pointed out), the style of play at the teams he's played at, the quality of players around him etc.).

Whether he will be a good investment, who knows, but for people to say his goal return is 5h!t, is just nonsense.

This is being banded around all over social media atm and it just shows the amount of weapons that support this club. Happy to ignore all context and just look at the numbers. So stupid.

:mcinnes: I'm not fudging the figures. In fact I'm putting context around them. 18 goals in 3 seasons sounds 5h!t on the face of it but when you look at his game time and the number of goals per 90 minutes on the pitch, the return isn't bad. This isn't fudging the numbers, it's called analysing them.

What the numbers don't show is the situation behind those goals (i.e. is the standard of opposition (as you pointed out), the style of play at the teams he's played at, the quality of players around him etc.).

Whether he will be a good investment, who knows, but for people to say his goal return is 5h!t, is just nonsense.

His goal return is sh it.

On my planet someone not getting game time means they're not getting selected ergo they ain't much cop.

Absolutely mind boggling that this is being used to help you massage numbers to pretend he is a world beater.

Personally I am looking forward to this guy turning out for us and banging in a goal every other game just like he sort of has if you, like, calculate it by minutes and divide it by the, er, goals and we carry the one and honest he is Paulo Rossi when he gets going.

Edited by CB Fry

On my planet someone not getting game time means they're not getting selected ergo they ain't much cop.

Absolutely mind boggling that this is being used to help you massage numbers to pretend he is a world beater.

Personally I am looking forward to this guy turning out for us and banging in a goal every other game just like he sort of has if you, like, calculate it by minutes and divide it by the, er, and include matches against semi-pro teams and we carry the one and honest he is he's Paulo Rossi when he's gets going.

So because he's not starting over falcao he isn't good enough? Christ.

Personally I am looking forward to this guy turning out for us and banging in a goal every other game just like he sort of has if you, like, calculate it by minutes and divide it by the, er, goals and we carry the one and honest he is Paulo Rossi when he gets going.

Bertrand wasn't getting picked much at chelsea, so he must be sh*t as well.

So because he's not starting over falcao he isn't good enough? Christ.
No idea. Unfortunate for him, not my problem. He ain't getting picked.

All I've said is I wish we'd sign someone who has been playing regularly and scoring regularly.

We've done it before with some success so call me bonkers but that's what I would have like to have seen us do again because it is perfectly possible.

Edited by CB Fry

Bertrand wasn't getting picked much at chelsea, so he must be sh*t as well.
Mane, Pelle, Rodriguez all scored 20+ goals playing regularly for their clubs before we signed them and I thought they were all good signings and they all were.

What's your point about Bertrand again?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo