Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

15 goals in 85 games over two and a half seasons.

Sounds perfect.

Quite a few as a sub though, very much second choice behind Falcao, understandably, but has scored a few in recent weeks.

Could be something in it, but as I mentioned in the transfer window thread, wonder whether this is just journos seeing a striker not getting many games, who has worked with MP before, and made a jump from there

Well, at least we're looking at players with the attributes we need. He's a big pressence this lad. About 6.3 going by his transfer market page, similar stature to that of Pelle.

Is h any better than Sam Gallagher do you think? After an understandable slow start Sam has finally clicked at St Andrews, scoring goals and MoM last two games. Pellegrino hardly even looked at him in the summer.

Is h any better than Sam Gallagher do you think? After an understandable slow start Sam has finally clicked at St Andrews, scoring goals and MoM last two games. Pellegrino hardly even looked at him in the summer.

No idea to be honest, not seen anything of Carillo. I wouldn't be against bringing Gallagher back though as an option, although it does seem as if he's found his feet. He's certainly a leading player in that league, so will be great for us next year. :scared:

Duncan, just out of interest - Do the manager's choose? Or do loans etc get decided above their head?

I don't know this guy from Monaco but I find it hard to imagine Gallagher keeping him on the bench at Birmingham.

Seems like the sort of striker we need in terms of his physical characteristics.

Not got the greatest goal record but if he brings others into play and generates higher quality chances at the same time (and we sign someone else) then why not?

Saint-Armstrong is back?! Welcome back!

Seems like the sort of striker we need in terms of his physical characteristics.

Not got the greatest goal record but if he brings others into play and generates higher quality chances at the same time (and we sign someone else) then why not?

Exactly. We don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer, as long as he can bring goals out of everybody else, like Pelle and Lambert always used to. On Tuesday against Palace we got desperate and started lumping it long, but had absolutely no aerial presence so it was a waste of time. Our goal struggles the last two seasons have been our only two seasons in this era without a big front man, it's not a coincidence.

Exactly. We don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer, as long as he can bring goals out of everybody else, like Pelle and Lambert always used to. On Tuesday against Palace we got desperate and started lumping it long, but had absolutely no aerial presence so it was a waste of time. Our goal struggles the last two seasons have been our only two seasons in this era without a big front man, it's not a coincidence.

Agree, and this guy might just be the answer. He looks "gettable" too.

• Haha 1

Is this the player our so call ITK expert mentioned on another thread . The one where he was at the Huddersfield game and all the terms had been agreed and would be announced this week ?

Or was the ITK expert just bull ****ting and taking a gamble we would sign somebody this week ?

Is he any better than Sam Gallagher do you think? After an understandable slow start Sam has finally clicked at St Andrews, scoring goals and MoM last two games. Pellegrino hardly even looked at him in the summer.

Duncan, just out of interest - Do the manager's choose? Or do loans etc get decided above their head?

I said on another thread I would bring Gallagher back, pay off Birmingham, put him in the side immediately.

This guy plus Walcott might be as close as we get to a Pelle/Mane combination. I'm not talking in terms of quality but attributes.

Pelle scored goals throughout his career including his time here this guy hasn't scored heavily at any level including the Argentine league if he is the best we can get we might as well not bother.

Is this the player our so call ITK expert mentioned on another thread . The one where he was at the Huddersfield game and all the terms had been agreed and would be announced this week ?

Or was the ITK expert just bull ****ting and taking a gamble we would sign somebody this week ?

By the look of his Instagram account, he’s spent the winter break in Argentina.

That ITK also mentioned that this guy has two children, and it doesn’t look like Carrillo has kids. If he does, he doesn’t post about them at all.

Pelle scored goals throughout his career including his time here this guy hasn't scored heavily at any level including the Argentine league if he is the best we can get we might as well not bother.

Yes and no. Before Pelle played for Feyenoord he had a worse goal scoring record than this guy but he then scored for fun in a pish Dutch league. I'm pretty sure that was pointed out on here when we signed him...

But like I said, I wasn't talking about comparing them in terms of quality more the target man and little/quick player combo. I'd rather have Pelle (and numerous others) than this guy.

Yes and no. Before Pelle played for Feyenoord he had a worse goal scoring record than this guy but he then scored for fun in a pish Dutch league. I'm pretty sure that was pointed out on here when we signed him...

But like I said, I wasn't talking about comparing them in terms of quality more the target man and little/quick player combo. I'd rather have Pelle (and numerous others) than this guy.

If all we want is a big lump tha doesn't score let's not blow 17m on a South American, we all know how those signings work out for us! What is Osvaldo up to at the minute....

Posted this in Transfer Window thread but thought it's worth it's own thread:

@mcgrathmike: #Southampton make £17.5m bid for #Monaco striker Guido Carrillo to save their season

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5274134/southampton-guido-carrillo-bid-monaco/

[video=youtube;scPz4sU-mqs]

There isn't a good finish in that video. They are all tap ins bar one header at a corner, and he is unmarked by appalling defending in nearly every goal. Also, does he only live inside the 6yard box?

Saints need a target man who can bully defenders, hold the ball up well, link play, and finish half chances.

This fellow doesn't appear to excel at the above. I hope I'm wrong, but a 0.17 goals per game ratio playing for one of the best clubs in a weak french top division does not fill me with much confidence!!

I think Les and co need to realise that we don't need more squad fillers, what we need is some star players. They have £60m to spend and a huge chunk of wage budget from VVD.... GO SPEND IT ON TWO PLAYERS MAX FFS. Not 4No. £15M signings.

I said on another thread I would bring Gallagher back, pay off Birmingham, put him in the side immediately.

As an absolute minimum this needs to happen.

We have a knackered Austin, an out of form and disinterested Gabbi, and a 1goal all season Long as our strikers. Why on earth are we not playing a very promising young striker whose attributes are exactly what we are missing.

Remind me of Pelle's record when we signed him?

You have google? So unless you are too lazy to use wikipedia I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

In the two seasons proceeding his move to Saints, Pelle score 27 in 29 appearances, and then 23 in 28 appearances. That is already more than the linked player has netted in his entire career.

This chap is not what we need to be wasting our money on... If we sign him the fanbase will be pulling their hair out more than they are already.

Edited by Saint86

That video link doesn't show him at his best. Just watched some more and he looks pretty good to me, some decent assists, excellent header of the ball and seems to be in the right place at the right time to hit the target. Might not be a bad option. Looks like he can bully defenders and bring other players into the game. All depends on getting players in and around him and providing the right service. Could be a gem!

Now is the not the time to be taking a gamble on an unproven player, when we are in a relegation dogfight.

We need to splash the cash on PROVEN premier league players. If we go down the cheaper, foreign import route, who knows what we are going to get? He will need time to settle in, and we don't have time on our side.

I'm hoping that this is a false alarm, and we are after someone more prolific & experienced. May as well buy Crouch for 3 million as this guy!!

That video link doesn't show him at his best. Just watched some more and he looks pretty good to me, some decent assists, excellent header of the ball and seems to be in the right place at the right time to hit the target. Might not be a bad option. Looks like he can bully defenders and bring other players into the game. All depends on getting players in and around him and providing the right service. Could be a gem!

That's a shame, I was hoping we could squeeze in a 'what a waste of money' song for him tomorrow, amongst all the sack MP, sack the board, hope we lose chants.

Brum might go for that. They are paying him/us an absolute fortune, which could obviously be spent on other players. He was Baspuss' man and the Clot hasn't really fancied him, playing him out wide most of the season. However, he has scored 3 goals in the last five games, which might have changed things (its amazing how much better a player looks if he has scored).

There isn't a good finish in that video. They are all tap ins bar one header at a corner, and he is unmarked by appalling defending in nearly every goal. Also, does he only live inside the 6yard box?

Saints need a target man who can bully defenders, hold the ball up well, link play, and finish half chances.

This fellow doesn't appear to excel at the above. I hope I'm wrong, but a 0.17 goals per game ratio playing for one of the best clubs in a weak french top division does not fill me with much confidence!!

I think Les and co need to realise that we don't need more squad fillers, what we need is some star players. They have £60m to spend and a huge chunk of wage budget from VVD.... GO SPEND IT ON TWO PLAYERS MAX FFS. Not 4No. £15M signings.

Completely agree with this

Add a bit of pace and we are sorted.

However £40m minimum for these attributes?

His manager in Argentina was Pellegrino. That’s probably why.

This is one of the reasons why it would have been good to fire Pellegrino before the January transfer window.

The manager has a say in transfers. Pellegrino said as much in one of his recent press conferences. This manager also does not know his arse from his elbow.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo