Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Can't say I know much about him, but what we have needed for about 18 months is someone with presence up top. He clearly will bring that, adding height to the spine of the team was well needed.

Let's get some pace in and around him and we may start heading in the right direction. Generally It doesn't seem as if Monaco fans have a bad word to really say about him, claim he's good in the air, not amazing on the floor, but will always give 100%.

I took a look at one of his YouTube clips earlier. If we’re making comparisons, he seemed to me more Pelle than Lambert. I don’t care if he’s paddy mcginty’s donkey as long as he sticks the ball in the net.

Exactly. Score 7 or 8 goals for the rest of the season and we'll be a lot higher up the table.

I guess that means our genius manager is not going anywhere.

Probably too late to sack now anyway, just have to hope Les knows what he’s doing.

It certainly isn’t a good sign for those of us who want a new manager is it?

I feel a little sorry for Carrillo. He’s behind the 8 ball in the eyes of many Saints supporters already because of his association with Pellegrino. You also wonder how he’ll feel if we do change coaching staff if, say, it all goes pear shaped against Brighton.

Hopefully he’ll prove the doubters wrong and score some goals.

Typical of this place though. I'm looking forward to seeing him play, hopefully can be similar to Lambert.

Me too. I don't buy into all the negative ********. We get it whenever we sign anyone. We've got a target man that we've been crying out for. Promes or Nico Gaitan to add to the squad and hopefully we'll pull clear of the relegation zone. A CB would have been nice but if we get Promes I'll be very happy with our dealings in this window.

COYR

Can't say I know much about him, but what we have needed for about 18 months is someone with presence up top. He clearly will bring that, adding height to the spine of the team was well needed.

Let's get some pace in and around him and we may start heading in the right direction. Generally It doesn't seem as if Monaco fans have a bad word to really say about him, claim he's good in the air, not amazing on the floor, but will always give 100%.

Argentinian Shane Long?

I jest (I hope)

It's an exciting signing in the sense that for the past two seasons we haven't had the right personnel for a 4-2-3-1 formation to work. Tadic will be pleased. The last cog in the machine would need to be some pace out wide. Things are starting to look a lot more promesing.

I see what you did there!

Me too. I don't buy into all the negative ********. We get it whenever we sign anyone. We've got a target man that we've been crying out for. Promes or Nico Gaitan to add to the squad and hopefully we'll pull clear of the relegation zone. A CB would have been nice but if we get Promes I'll be very happy with our dealings in this window.

COYR

This place is moan central no matter what happens. Sell a player early, moaning, hold on to a player, moaning, sign someone, moaning, don't sign anyone, moaning.

Heck we have a special few who moan when we win and now I'm moaning about the moaning, **** this place!

This place is moan central no matter what happens. Sell a player early, moaning, hold on to a player, moaning, sign someone, moaning, don't sign anyone, moaning.

Heck we have a special few who moan when we win and now I'm moaning about the moaning, **** this place!

I'm fed up with people that moan about the people who are moaning, and now i'm moaning about the people who moan about the people who are moaning FFS?

COYR

But surely isn't it best for you to wait and see how he turns out before announcing you are "very happy"? And for the record people on here are very rarely negative when we sign someone, it's just this time, with such little faith in the manager, some of us have expressed reservations, which is reasonable enough. Now he's signed perhaps we should all refrain from expressing delight or despair and hope he is the success we need, and he helps us stay up. Then we can all be very happy. Welcome Guido, Saints fans will be behind you.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Please a CB now. Promes too might be greedy but would be good. Although with Boufal, Tadic, Sims, Redmond and JWP wide options too, it might be too many. Out of those I'd ditch Redmond to be honest. Tadic looked good again as soon as he was played left wing.

I get what you say about number of wide options, but one of our biggest problems is lack of goals in the team, and that is not just down to the striker. If we can get a wide player who has a good scoring record, that would be my preference over a CB if I had to choose, particularly as Carillo does not have a massive number of goals on his CV. Agree with you that Redmond would be the one to let go if there are any takers!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's an exciting signing in the sense that for the past two seasons we haven't had the right personnel for a 4-2-3-1 formation to work. Tadic will be pleased. The last cog in the machine would need to be some pace out wide. Things are starting to look a lot more promesing.

It would be with the right manager

Looking at where his League 1 goals have come from...

15/16: 3 headed, 1 right foot

16/17: 3 headed, 2 left foot, 2 right foot

17/18: 4 headed

Crosses will be needed to get him on the score sheet.

I hope he can at least start with a bounce to counteract the one Brighton will get with their new man. Bu more than that I am hopeful that this just acts as an incentive for Promes to sign. Here's hoping...

Got a Brighton supporter at work, says their new striker is injured till Feb.

Is this our the boy called Guido Carillo

Every day he's showing his skill-o

Dreaming dreams we play like Brazil-o

And he fu cking hates Pompey.

Sha la la la la la la la la

And he fu cking hates Pompey

I think a lot of the negativity understandably comes because most of us have little faith in Pellegrino’s judgement.

A non-goalscoring striker hand-picked by a clown of a manager, who clearly won't be leaving now. My excitement level is currently 1/10.

But at least he's a striker! :thumbup:

Absolutely, but it's the manager's job to get some form from these players. Tadic is very capable of around 8 goals a season, maybe more. Redmond should be getting the same, but he's gone backwards. Boufal is used centrally should get a few. There are options there. Even if Promes is good, Pellegrino has to get a team out there that's on form.
Yes, manager is our No 1 problem but seems **** all chance of us doing anything about that! But in fairness the last manager did no better in coaxing goals out of the wide men and mids so does seem an issue there since we lost Mane.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I watched a couple of his YouTube videos earlier and he seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time in and around the 6 yard area. His movement to get away from defenders in tight areas looks good. I get the feeling we could be about to see JWP's assist count going through the roof... wishful thinking and all that...

Welcome aboard Guido!

It does need stressing that Pellegrino is not in full control of transfers. He may have suggested Carrillo, and we assume he's part of the reason Carrillo's coming, but plenty of others will have needed to make their own judgements and sign off on the deal. Our managers have a veto on signings but can't force them through alone.

Edited by DuncanRG

Morgan Schneiderlin was signed under Jan Poortvliet signing and he worked out pretty well!

I hope this doesn’t mean the end of Gabbi though.

Even at the time no one thought for a minute that signing had anything to do with Jan the man. This guy is a Pellegrino player.

But surely isn't it best for you to wait and see how he turns out before announcing you are "very happy"? And for the record people on here are very rarely negative when we sign someone, it's just this time, with such little faith in the manager, some of us have expressed reservations, which is reasonable enough. Now he's signed perhaps we should all refrain from expressing delight or despair and hope he is the success we need, and he helps us stay up. Then we can all be very happy. Welcome Guido, Saints fans will be behind you.

Maybe you should read my post again where I say that if we signed Promes or Gaitan in addition to Carrillo then I'd be "very happy" with our dealings in this window. Clearly you can wait for as long as you like before making your mid up about individual players but that's not what I said. When the transfer window ends, you must have a view on whether, on the face of it, it's been successful? IMHO, we need a goalscorer, a fast winger and a CB. It was always very unlikely that we were going to get all 3 in January but if we manage Carrillo and Promes, I'd be "very happy" with that. Disagree?

Coincidentally, I note there's a vote on Twitter on the same subject as follows:

https://twitter.com/antonydjames/status/956623456166187008

Not just me then. But thanks for your opinion on what's best for me anyway.

He wouldn't necessarily have been my choice, and I do have a degree of trepidation given he is clearly a Pellegrino signing, but there's absolutely no doubt he is the sort of player we need. We haven't had a big man up top since Pelle and having that profile of player does create chances for other players with flick ons, hold ups and chest downs etc.

Welcome Guido, let's see what you can do.

Is this our the boy called Guido Carillo

Every day he's showing his skill-o

Dreaming dreams we play like Brazil-o

And he fu cking hates Pompey.

And he fu cking hates Pompey

Have the masses already decided to pronounce his name incorrectly then? (A la Jose Fonte”ay”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else hear the totally football podcast today? The french football expert basically laughing at this deal saying 'he's not a very good player' and that Monaco are brilliant at selling.

He's either going to save us, or he's going to be Afonso Alves.

Anyone else hear the totally football podcast today? The french football expert basically laughing at this deal saying 'he's not a very good player' and that Monaco are brilliant at selling.

To be fair, they get a lot of things wrong on that show and say things to fit their own narrative. Pretty sure they thought Pellegrino was a very good appointment at the time and look how that's turned out. You don't turn up at Monaco if you're 'not very good', may not be top quality but he's clearly at least a competent player and of a type that we need. Fingers crossed!

I do recall similar comments about Lovren from some quarters. Let's wait and see

I think that the manager probably knows him better than the French football "expert".

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo