Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Sound like he gave the team a focal point, something only Austin offered. I'd expect those two to rotate for the rest of the season but Austin probably to get the nod. Doubt we'll see much of Gabbiadini, if only we could find a striker with pace that is able to actually score so we can bin off Long for good.

Sound like he gave the team a focal point, something only Austin offered. I'd expect those two to rotate for the rest of the season but Austin probably to get the nod. Doubt we'll see much of Gabbiadini, if only we could find a striker with pace that is able to actually score so we can bin off Long for good.

Sell Long and get Promes in this summer.

Sell redmond and get another pacy wide player in with an end product.

Agree with this totally, although I think we need to see more from Carrillo first. He was ok today but I wouldn't give it a resounding thumbs up. I like Gabbi but he is out of place on this squad, and once Austin is back (when is that by the way?) he moves even further down the list. I expect him to move on after the season. Long, in my personal opinion, isn't a lone striker. He can be a wide attacking player though, or a striker in a 3 up top setup. Not sure that makes sense to MP though, who seems set in his ways. For me its Austin, rotating in Carrillo, and I guess Gabbi/Long on the bench for this season at least.

I think that’s the best we’ve played all season and the result flattered West Brom.

I reckon Mr Gao turned up in a Saints tracksuit at the dressing room this morning and picked that team. :)

There’s is nothing in Pellegrino’s Saints history to suggest he would of picked such a balanced and positive team.

I think Hojbjerg was very unlucky to be dropped but I’m not sure I’d have risked dropping Romeu instead to fit Lemina in (and I wouldn’t play all 3 together at the expense of an attacking player - except away to a top 6 team).

I think the 11 who started today plus Hojbjerg, Gabbiadini and Austin are the only players we should consider starting with when everyone is fit.

Let’s not get over-excited though. If we’d lost both West Brom games by 1 goal rather than winning them both, we’d swap places with them and be 20th on 20 points.

From what I saw his strike would have been a goal if it wasn't for Foster's excellent save. Also a header on target, albeit a bit soft and from distance. Too soon to say but getting into some good positions and looking dangerous in his first start.

First twenty minutes when the ball was bouncing off him every time he went near it I was wondering what on earth we spent £20m on.

But fair play to him his movement in the box is great and he gives defenders plenty to think about when the ball is in the air. Is that a £20m player? Probably not. But has a bit of what we're missing and thats important to us.

Seems to be that he must have grown into the game as it went on. We were the main game on Talksport (OS was down) and as I said, they said he was awful. Half way through the first half, they were slagging him off as much as I'd ever heard commentators slagging a player off. People on here were not complimentary about him either.

Sell Long and get Promes in this summer.

Sell redmond and get another pacy wide player in with an end product.

Promes is not really a striker but he does have pace, IF we stay up, I think we need an overhaul, 5-6 out, 5-6 in. Long and Redmond would be top of that list, maybe Forster, Gabbi will probably go even though I think with someone like Promes wide and in behind Austin/Carrillo he'd be quite good.

Agree with this totally, although I think we need to see more from Carrillo first. He was ok today but I wouldn't give it a resounding thumbs up. I like Gabbi but he is out of place on this squad, and once Austin is back (when is that by the way?) he moves even further down the list. I expect him to move on after the season. Long, in my personal opinion, isn't a lone striker. He can be a wide attacking player though, or a striker in a 3 up top setup. Not sure that makes sense to MP though, who seems set in his ways. For me its Austin, rotating in Carrillo, and I guess Gabbi/Long on the bench for this season at least.

I expect Austin to start as soon as he is fit again, he has the pedigree and is the closes thing to a 20 goal a season man probably anyone outside the top 6 has I reckon. His prem record overall is 31 goals in 73 games, and some of those are subs, plus the amount of times he has to get going again after injury that is pretty good IMO.

IF big IF we could get a 30 game season out of him I reckon he'd get a good 16-18 goals at least, especially if we got someone like Promes as well.

Seems to be that he must have grown into the game as it went on. We were the main game on Talksport (OS was down) and as I said, they said he was awful. Half way through the first half, they were slagging him off as much as I'd ever heard commentators slagging a player off. People on here were not complimentary about him either.

Danny Murphy praising him on MOTD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would sell Long and Austin this summer, assuming we are PL. Not reliable enough, for different reasons.

Carrillo appears far more mobile than Austin thus far. Crux will be if he can finish.

Austin overall is a poor signing for me as spends far too much time unavailable.

Long is just ****e, obviously.

I would sell Long and Austin this summer, assuming we are PL. Not reliable enough, for different reasons.

Carrillo appears far more mobile than Austin thus far. Crux will be if he can finish.

Austin overall is a poor signing for me as spends far too much time unavailable.

Injury record not great but without Austin this season we would be cut adrift at the bottom. His goals have been vital. Long has to go

Although today we saw him played correctly. Coming off the bench against tired defenders and when we're in front he's and ideal player to bring on. He offers an outlet for easy balls over the top and he chases and hassles defenders, rushing them into long balls which are easier to defend against.

That should be his role from now on. He should never be starting games and he isn't going to get many goals but he does have a useful role to play I think. The problem is Reed has undoubtedly given him a big contract and I'm not sure you can justify having him around playing like that if he's one of the better paid players at the club

Austin has been our leading scorer the past 2 seasons, even though he only played 1/2 of last and will miss about 6-8 weeks of this season. He is our only reliable scoring threat. Why would anyone want to sell him.

Austin has been our leading scorer the past 2 seasons, even though he only played 1/2 of last and will miss about 6-8 weeks of this season. He is our only reliable scoring threat. Why would anyone want to sell him.

I'm with you on this. Goals are what it's all about, and Austin can be relied upon to provide a few.

People on here were not complimentary about him either.

That’s probably a good thing from the forum that declared, at different times, both Pele and Mane (along with others) to be “the worse player to pull on a Saints shirt”. You should not judge a player after one game, equally I don’t think you should judge a manager until 18 months (even though Pellegrino is doing a good job to challenge me of that opinion!).

Thought he looked decent, got in good positions and made himself available which is exactly what we need. A good example mot mentioned on here was Stepehen's second goal, had that header not gone in Carillo was lurking around the far post and may have converted it.

I think that unless he turns out to be a goal machine I'd rotate with Charlie to give Charlie's legs a rest. Charlie Austin is still our no 1 goalscorer - when fit. However if he turns out to be a goal machine then the position is his.

I thought he was good, reminded me of Pelle and how we used to play him. Yes a couple of first touches in the first half was iffy but I would probably put that down to match fitness and getting up to speed with this league?

Is he a 20+m striker? We’ll see.

This season's 20m striker was last year's 12m atriker - player price inflation because of the TV billions!

Long is not a goal scorer, but can't fault his effort, can we convert him to another position? can we also bio engineer Austin some new legs!! if it wasn't for his injury record the boy would be world class!

Arms seems to be more of an issue, hasn't Austin had two long spells out with shoulder injuries?

He does seem to do his hamstring a lot but that is a pretty common injury for all players.

I think this is more of a sign of our current form. People get excited when a new striker comes in, plays 1.5 games, has no goals, 4 shots, and 1 shot on goal, and people are saying how good he looks. I think we need to see a lot more before we can even formulate an opinion. Remember Gabbi came in on fire and look at him now.

Long is not a goal scorer, but can't fault his effort, can we convert him to another position? can we also bio engineer Austin some new legs!! if it wasn't for his injury record the boy would be world class!

With due respect it was a bad shoulder injury that was caused by being clattered while jumping and landing heavily on his shoulder in a Europa tie last season, not his knee. This time it's his hamstring.

He can play wide, ref his laying on goal chances with his pace at Watford. Play him as the third forward.

Still yet to see why our board of halfwits thought £19 million was a good price for this guy. Struggles to hold the ball up, and hardly won a header all day. Les once again having his pants pulled down.

Pretty much.

Works he ass off, but so does shane long. We buy this guy, palace sign Sorloth...... I know who I would rather have had

Still yet to see why our board of halfwits thought £19 million was a good price for this guy. Struggles to hold the ball up, and hardly won a header all day. Les once again having his pants pulled down.

You know a lot of clubs seem to pay Monaco a lot of money for players that aren't all that,all that. Perhaps Rosie has a few other accounts down that way.

Shocking news that a player championed by Pellegrino might be sh1t.

(edit: I'm not writing him off yet, obviously it was a bit of an impossible job yesterday. But doesn't change the fact that we let this clueless manager choose the centre forward we need to get us out of relegation).

Edited by mrfahaji

He is not a lone striker. The manager is a pillock and needs to play Gabbiadini with him and Long on the right. give the poor **** some help FFS. JWP, Tadic and Boufal aren't going to help him. And to JWP head the ****ing ball down.

He is not a lone striker. The manager is a pillock and needs to play Gabbiadini with him and Long on the right. give the poor **** some help FFS. JWP, Tadic and Boufal aren't going to help him. And to JWP head the ****ing ball down.

It's the same old story with MoPe playing isolated strikers. They need close support, it's not rocket science - except for the manager it seems.

This with bells and whistles on.

I'd love to know what people think his key attributes are? So far I've noticed he is very one paced with little acceleration in mind or body, lacks strength and doesn't hold the ball up well, doesn't win many headers and when he does they lack accuracy, his first touch and passing accuracy are also patchy. I did like his movement v West Brom when Foster made a good save from him but that and the fact its early days are the only two reasons I can find to think he may come good, he just looks very ordinary.

He tries hard? TBF He didn't stand a chance yesterday.

When the nearest player is Tadic you may as well give up...he does...oooo my ankle he sneezed on me.

Some glimpses of a decent player but 20m? When a team lacks pace why buy another forward with none?

Great recruitment really.

He needed Gabbi, Long or Redmond he got no one.

Early days needs a goal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Typical of this place, some knee jerk reactions from people who love nothing better than moaning. The bloke was tidy yesterday, but was isolated up front. Never really got a sniff on goal apart from one header that can’t be considered an easy chance at all. Here’s an idea, why don’t people let the guy play a few games, perhaps against sides outside of the top 6 and then judge him. I know the budding Paul Mitchell’s on here are so knowledgeable that they can make instant assessments about players, personally I think 2 games (one of which he did ok) is too soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. For once I actually agree with Lord D.

Before writing him off, it's worth remembering that he had a slight injury prior to signing, and yesterday in only his second start for us he was up against the world's most expensive defender, who we all know is capable of bossing even the best strikers.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, trousers said:

Happy Anniversary!

I've a mate who works in the club and rumour has it that he signed on the 01st January, but those keepie uppies took over three weeks to get right.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I've a mate who works in the club and rumour has it that he signed on the 01st January, but those keepie uppies took over three weeks to get right.

I assumed that was filmed with the use of a stunt double.

• Haha 1

seeing an old thread like this pop up is similar to seeing a famous old person's name trending on twitter. Your first thought is `have they died?'. Gad that is not the case.

I see he has scored a grand total of 19 goals in 127 games since he left us. 

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo