Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Most of them seem to say he is sh*t, or at least some politely say that, but seem to like him because he worked hard, was always professional and was part of their title winning squad.

A little too much Shane Long in those descriptions

Some interesting and slightly more optimistic comments...

More of a back up for falcao, but he is always so reliable. Last year he scored 8 goals in all comps, and he already has 8 this season and hes only played about 700 min. Unfortunately for him falcao is having a great season, but if falcao keeps getting injured there might be more consistent play for him. I think that if Carrillo played in a team where he is a regular starter he would score 15+ goals every season very easily.

Carrillo does really with fluid attacking football, which is what you get in Monaco. If he were to go to Southampton, i think the chances of him being a flop are higher than him succeeding. I dont know enough about Southampton but i do know that they are struggling for goals this season. I just dont know if they lack a finisher or if they lack players with vision and ability to create chances. If they are making loads of chance but cant finish, then i think Carrillo can come in and make an instant impact. He’s physical, big, gets in good positions, and hes a great finisher. He does have a decent amount of assists but thats misleading as its quite easy to get assists in an attacking minded team like monaco.

That's not how you'll stop Carillo

Every night you'll be hugging your pillow

Nightmare dreams - Guido Carillo

And sweet Southampton wait for you!

Sha la la la la la la....

I think his name is pronounced "ka-ree-zhoh"... or at the very least the standard spanish way of "ka-ree-yoh"

Shame because it would otherwise be crying out for the Amarillo song!

I think his name is pronounced "ka-ree-zhoh"... or at the very least the standard spanish way of "ka-ree-yoh"

Shame because it would otherwise be crying out for the Amarillo song!

So what?

Hojbjerg isn't pronounced Hoy-berg but that doesn't stop our stadium announcers from calling him that!

By the descriptions of him, he sounds like a less broken Charlie Austin.

We look a much better team with Austin in it as a focal point than we do without and he scores goals, so IMO the club has worked that out and has basically looked for a younger, fitter Austin.

If the guy can hold up the ball, win some headers and get on the end of crosses it'll be a shrewd signing.

People should also remember that Ligue 1 football is different to Premier League football, this guy might have much better attributes for this league.

Think you're right. I was half listening to MoPe on Sky last night and he said as much - something along the lines Carrillo was brought in to cover for Austin as Austin is our best forward but he is injured ..... then seemed to stumble as he realised he might have given the new guy the message he would on the bench once Charlie was fit again! Great motivation! Why the hell didn't MoPe play Charlie earlier in that case??

Also think the new owner has realised just how desperate our situation really is, and hence sanctioned this deal and QP at around £50M combined - very different from the message a few weeks ago where we were going to spend some of the VVD money over several transfer windows. By the time you factor in Celtic cut, agents fees etc. I would say that is pretty much all of the initial VVD net fee, and that's without wages!

Or you cross earlier from deep, as Leicester demonstrated incredibly effectively. Not every cross has to come from the byline.

Kieran Trippier at Burnley being another excellent example of this/how effective it can be (if I recall correctly....which I probably don't)

If he comes in and scores 6-10 goals in our remaining games, that should be enough to keep us up.

I can't say I have any idea what he is like, but from description he sounds like he fits the mold of what we have been missing.

Give him until the summer, if he really is sh!te (likely that we will be in the Championship if so), then replace him along with the bloke that brought him here.

My only concern is that he is clearly an MP player, MP may be able to get the best out of him but MP's is on thin ice and a loss next Wednesday could prove to be his last game... Who know's how his replacement would want to play and if Carrillo would suit that manager.

Could prove to be a very expensive risk, but one I think we needed to take.

Think you're right. I was half listening to MoPe on Sky last night and he said as much - something along the lines Carrillo was brought in to cover for Austin as Austin is our best forward but he is injured ..... then seemed to stumble as he realised he might have given the new guy the message he would on the bench once Charlie was fit again! Great motivation! Why the hell didn't MoPe play Charlie earlier in that case??

Also think the new owner has realised just how desperate our situation really is, and hence sanctioned this deal and QP at around £50M combined - very different from the message a few weeks ago where we were going to spend some of the VVD money over several transfer windows. By the time you factor in Celtic cut, agents fees etc. I would say that is pretty much all of the initial VVD net fee, and that's without wages!

Reports relating to Promes are that we're nowhere near bidding at his £30m release clause, so the £50m spent in one window thing is probably just PR.

Austin is our best striker, by far. However, Austin is not reliable in terms of fitness, so will need to be managed - Definitely room for both of these in the squad.

I think we should cash in on Gabbi (transfer fee & saving on salary) as I think Austin (focal point / great in the box), Carrillo (big man to aim for), Long (pace on counter / Press) + Gallagher / another youngster this year, is enough and all offer something slightly different.

Assuming we continue to play Les' favored 4231/433 then we still are desperate for some pace to get around the big CF.

I think MP has taken a long time to work out who his preferred eleven is.

Who knows, maybe he came in and Black told him the best side so he went with that for a bit until he'd seen them more. Also was Austin actually fit pre-season/early season?

By those Monaco fans description of him Carillo seems to be very professional and used to some rotation.

At a guess we are aiming to basically have one big guy up front as a focal point, then 3 in behind, where we lack some pace (hence Promes) and our 'big guy' options are limited with Austin's fitness issues and Gallagher on loan.

I kind of agree with SKD, presuming we stay up, I can see the aim for next season to basically have the 3 strikers - Austin, Carrillo and Gallagher to fight it out as that main target man option, and we then maybe move on Long and Gabbiadini, with more investment in those 'behind' positions. i.e getting in someone else (hopefully in addition to Promes) with pace and direct running ability to complement Boufal, JWP, Promes, and Tadic.

I think basically we are trying to go back to the Pelle + Mane times. A good in the box or target man type up front, pace and direct running, Tadic/Boufal floating about the other side and then depending who we are playing either 3 more solid CMs, or putting a number 10 in there.

He needs lots of crosses and plenty of shots\balls into the area. He looks fine in the air and pretty efficient in converting any easy chances in the 6 yard area.

Dump the negativity MP and tell the players to give him the support he needs - if you do I think he'll get enough goals.

He needs lots of crosses and plenty of shots\balls into the area. He looks fine in the air and pretty efficient in converting any easy chances in the 6 yard area.

Dump the negativity MP and tell the players to give him the support he needs - if you do I think he'll get enough goals.

Well crosses shouldn't be a problem we have put in 502 this season the 4th highest in the PL.

Is there a reason why we didn't go for him in the summer, considering he appears to be a Pellegrino signing? Or has the board realised managers may need to bring in the players they want to make their tactics work?

I guess because we had three senior strikers competing for the one lone striker role. Currently we have only two, who are currently not very effective. And we're in the sh1t.

I guess because we had three senior strikers competing for the one lone striker role. Currently we have only two, who are currently not very effective. And we're in the sh1t.

True - but it was clear early on none of them fit within Pellegrino's system. He should've known that during pre-season.

I think the board's realised we're in deep doo-doo and is finally backing a boss in the market.

Or you cross earlier from deep, as Leicester demonstrated incredibly effectively. Not every cross has to come from the byline.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Although I am generally more of a fan of getting to the byline for crosses - mainly because it makes defenders face their own goal - there's nothing wrong with having a mixture, but particularly if you have a target man on the pitch. Recently I have been a strong advocate of getting behind the full backs and whipping low crosses in because I think that's the only/main way that Gabbiadini and Austin can thrive.

When we had Pelle, putting a ball in from deep wasn't such a terrible idea, and maybe Carrillo will now give us that option too.

DUeyemkW4AAVNrb.jpg

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/956929697492987904

I like the look of that and Ted Knutsons judgement carries a lot of weight with me.

Its all relative though, and that graph is purely arbitrary.

Even if it isn't, his key statistics relate to being good at losing possession and apparently managing 2.6 shots all season (units obviously wrong but highlighted just to show how farcical that graph is...)

Judge him when he plays, don't hype him now, and don't hate him either.

Its all relative though, and that graph is purely arbitrary.

Even if it isn't, his key statistics relate to being good at losing possession and apparently managing 2.6 shots all season (units obviously wrong but highlighted just to show how farcical that graph is...)

“All units in per 90”

Is there a reason why we didn't go for him in the summer, considering he appears to be a Pellegrino signing? Or has the board realised managers may need to bring in the players they want to make their tactics work?

Who's to say we didn't. Because we don't sign a player, it doesn't mean that we didn't go for him.

A key point that many would do well to remember. Lets be honest we all want him to do well don't we, but whether he does or doesn't remains to be seen, it's firmly a 'wait and see' job.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo