Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

3. He is expensive and I doubt any better than Gallagher who we should have stuck with

I've never understood the fixation with Gallagher. No manager picked him regularly. He went to MK Dons and didn't score a goal in 15 games.

Then he went to Blackburn and was better. 12 goals in 47 games. Pretty good.

Then he went to Birmingham and has 6 in 22 games.

He may well return as we have given him a contract but the club definitely don't see him as being ready yet - and the stats support that.

There's stats and stats. I watch him regularly and believe me he is better than his stats. Most of his games he has played out wide for all 3 clubs, his recent burst of scoring has come after Cotterill moved him up front. If you don't believe me check out what the Blackburn fans said about him last year and what the Brum fans are saying now. I know I am biased but I genuinely believe he could have done a better job for us, but of course it is academic now because our need is urgent. Just don't think this signing is what we need. An experienced loanee might have done the trick.

No one should be writing him off but anyone is perfectly entitled to give initial reactions. My thoughts are he doesn't look particularly impressive on first viewing but he may have some attributes we need. Happy to see how he does with us but I won't be getting overly excited about this signing.

There's stats and stats. I watch him regularly and believe me he is better than his stats. Most of his games he has played out wide for all 3 clubs, his recent burst of scoring has come after Cotterill moved him up front. If you don't believe me check out what the Blackburn fans said about him last year and what the Brum fans are saying now. I know I am biased but I genuinely believe he could have done a better job for us, but of course it is academic now because our need is urgent. Just don't think this signing is what we need. An experienced loanee might have done the trick.

Fair enough. You do sound like you have seen more of him than me.

Let's hope he does develop and he comes back ready to play for us.

Tim Vickery (Talksport/Radio 5 Live) Rates him. Tim is very knowledgeable re all things South American. This boy played under Pelligrino at Estudiantes apparently

Tim correctly predicted that Gaston Ramirez wouldn't be very good in England, so if he says he will come good, that's definitely an opinion that is worth listening too rather than the usual SWF lot writing him off before he's even signed for us.

Tim Vickery (Talksport/Radio 5 Live) Rates him. Tim is very knowledgeable re all things South American. This boy played under Pelligrino at Estudiantes apparently

He did say MP would be very good too though ;)

When/where was he talking about Carrillo, mate?

not excited for this as a record signing, but guess inflation/desperation on our side has lead to Carrillo coming to us as a record fee.

certainly doesn't have the pedigree that Lemina had when he came to us.

regardless, I won't write him off until I see the bloke play for us, but based on initial readings he doesn't strike me as the bloke who will score say at least 12 PL goals a season- hope to be proven wrong and Les knows what he is doing!

Does he speak English I wonder?

I hope he is a success but I have so little faith in the manager and South Americans in our football I sense this is a desperate signing. I really hope I am wrong and you all bring this post back to haunt me in May.

You don't remember The Torpedo & Sarmiento? (Who, IMO, should both be on the SaintsWeb banner).

On one hand it saddens me that this is clearly a Pellegrino signing (and will be our record signing to boot) because it means he isn't going anywhere. BUT, if he isn't going anywhere, then maybe we are at least better off having a player he might know how to utilise.

Can't believe it's got to the point where we have to be so short-termist in our approach though.

Nah, he failed as he was left up front on his own whilst the rest of his crew were held back in defence. None were able to make the killer pass and slide the matches through to him as he was isolated whilst surrounded by 4 of the opposition. If the plotters had played a 4-4-2 system the world would be a different place today.

I laughed

From the very limited evidence I've seen £19 million does seem a gamble; however, if Carrillo helps us get the 18 or so points we need to stay up then it will have been more than justified. Granted there's an element of risk attached to most transfers; nevertheless, it's a real shame we've got ourselves in a position where we're forced to take such a gamble.

As for Gallagher, I reckon it's impossible to say whether he could do a similar job; but, perhaps, there's a lesson to be learned from tying players up on season-long loans.

not excited for this as a record signing, but guess inflation/desperation on our side has lead to Carrillo coming to us as a record fee.

certainly doesn't have the pedigree that Lemina had when he came to us.

regardless, I won't write him off until I see the bloke play for us, but based on initial readings he doesn't strike me as the bloke who will score say at least 12 PL goals a season- hope to be proven wrong and Les knows what he is doing!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

On one hand it saddens me that this is clearly a Pellegrino signing (and will be our record signing to boot) because it means he isn't going anywhere. BUT, if he isn't going anywhere, then maybe we are at least better off having a player he might know how to utilise.

Can't believe it's got to the point where we have to be so short-termist in our approach though.

for a short period anyway

3. He is expensive and I doubt any better than Gallagher who we should have stuck with

I've never understood the fixation with Gallagher. No manager picked him regularly. He went to MK Dons and didn't score a goal in 15 games.

Then he went to Blackburn and was better. 12 goals in 47 games. Pretty good.

Then he went to Birmingham and has 6 in 22 games.

He may well return as we have given him a contract but the club definitely don't see him as being ready yet - and the stats support that.

5 in 7 since actually being played as a striker

I always read the selling club's fan messageboards when we buy a player to see how they react. When we bought van Dijk, Celtic fans were gutted; when we bought Hooiveldt, they were over the moon. Not one Monaco fan is unhappy to see Carrillo go. The general consensus is that they'd have been happy to even get 5 million euros for Carrillo.

'5M de livres pour Carrillo . Ça va faire des heureux'

'Carrillo 20M, je ne m'en remettrai pas de celle la !'

'Carrillo , il a fait quoi ?'

If we really part with 50m on 2 players in this window, its make-or-break time for Reed...

Why ? He has pretty much only got one major decision wrong in his tenure that I can see, and thats MoPe.

Thats unless you are an over the top, bandwagoning pessimist with no idea how football business works........... oh

I always read the selling club's fan messageboards when we buy a player to see how they react. When we bought van Dijk, Celtic fans were gutted; when we bought Hooiveldt, they were over the moon. Not one Monaco fan is unhappy to see Carrillo go. The general consensus is that they'd have been happy to even get 5 million euros for Carrillo.

I seem to remember that the Twente supporters had a good laugh when we signed Cuoco Martina.

I suspected as much. Panic buy written all over this as I can't imagine the scouts have seen a £17.5m player in Carrillo.

Edited by Disco Stu

Both Guido and Gabbi would be better options that Austin IMO

Yeah he has scored some, but he has missed some absolute sitters for a guy that has probably had better service than any of our team put together this season

When it comes to Gabbiadini, unfortunately Pellegrino simply does not seem to rate him and it appears to have had a negative impact on his form and confidence. Assuming Pellegrino’s still with us, Gabbiadini will be behind Carillo, Long and Austin.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo