Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Now is the not the time to be taking a gamble on an unproven player, when we are in a relegation dogfight.

We need to splash the cash on PROVEN premier league players. If we go down the cheaper, foreign import route, who knows what we are going to get? He will need time to settle in, and we don't have time on our side.

I'm hoping that this is a false alarm, and we are after someone more prolific & experienced. May as well buy Crouch for 3 million as this guy!!

Who would you choose, Nathan Redmond or Sadio Mané?

This idea players are only proven until they do well on these shores is absurd.

Not sure how Redmond is a proven premier league player, unless it means proven to be not very good. We need premier league players who are proven to be very good, like Harry Kane or Kevin De Bruyne imo. They would get us out of trouble.

Who would you choose, Nathan Redmond or Sadio Mané?

This idea players are only proven until they do well on these shores is absurd.

Yes but if you buy someone from abroad rather than someone who has performed well in PL then it's obviously a risk. If it works out great as we save ourselves a lot of money and resale value is high but in the situation we are in we are taking an even greater risk should we continue with our recruitment model.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Could this be the player from France that Jeremy Wilson mentioned?

Interesting write up here:

http://www.o-posts.com/teams/italy/inter-milan/guido-carrillo-estudiantes-powerful-number-ready-big-europe-step-up/

The fact he used to play under MP and also fits our current model of signings from big clubs who are not playing regularly suggests it could be true.

Certainly need a player with more power up front and age 26 he would be approaching his peak.

Wouldn't read too much into x goals in x games unless you can see how many were starts.

Pelle scored goals throughout his career including his time here this guy hasn't scored heavily at any level including the Argentine league if he is the best we can get we might as well not bother.

You might want to check his scoring record. When Feyenoord signed him as a 27-year old his record was 10 goals for Cesena in the serie B.

Not saying he is the answer but at least he is a bit bigger then the other forwards we have. Pellè came here on the recommendation of Koeman who had worked with him and knew how he functioned best. The same applies to Carillo who played for Pellegrino in Argentina and was roughly 1-in-3 then.

http://www.o-posts.com/teams/italy/inter-milan/guido-carrillo-estudiantes-powerful-number-ready-big-europe-step-up/

The fact he used to play under MP and also fits our current model of signings from big clubs who are not playing regularly suggests it could be true.

Certainly need a player with more power up front and age 26 he would be approaching his peak.

Wouldn't read too much into x goals in x games unless you can see how many were starts.

Can we expect Stoke to sign him, given who wrote that article? ;)

Not sure how Redmond is a proven premier league player, unless it means proven to be not very good. We need premier league players who are proven to be very good, like Harry Kane or Kevin De Bruyne imo. They would get us out of trouble.

Isn't De Bruyne injured?

I'd go for okaka from Watford instead. strong, decent, out of favour for no good reason.

You have google? So unless you are too lazy to use wikipedia I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

In the two seasons proceeding his move to Saints, Pelle score 27 in 29 appearances, and then 23 in 28 appearances. That is already more than the linked player has netted in his entire career.

This chap is not what we need to be wasting our money on... If we sign him the fanbase will be pulling their hair out more than they are already.

Oh do **** off. What is this Google of which you speak. Is it the same one which showed him to be gash before he became a giant in a midget league? That signing - like most we make, or are likely to make, got absolutely panned on here.

You might want to check his scoring record. When Feyenoord signed him as a 27-year old his record was 10 goals for Cesena in the serie B.

Not saying he is the answer but at least he is a bit bigger then the other forwards we have. Pellè came here on the recommendation of Koeman who had worked with him and knew how he functioned best. The same applies to Carillo who played for Pellegrino in Argentina and was roughly 1-in-3 then.

Had forgotten about that still 50 goals in two seasons in Holland puts him in a much better light than this chap who has scored 13 in two seasons in France

Is h any better than Sam Gallagher do you think? After an understandable slow start Sam has finally clicked at St Andrews, scoring goals and MoM last two games. Pellegrino hardly even looked at him in the summer.

Yes. One plays for Monaco as back up to a classy striker. The other has struggled at a team bottom of the league of the league below our level. You're right though he's played well the last two games.

The fact he played under mope and we are bidding 17.5m tells me there will be no sacking any time soon and he's going to get backed in the transfer window ?

Well Monaco fans on twitter are laughing at us for paying such a fee for him and can't wait to get rid of him.

Yes his appearances have mostly come for the bench so can't really judge his goal ratio there.

What is however annoying is that we are taking unknown entities at such a crucial time in the season if true.

Hope this is not the only signing.

Well Monaco fans on twitter are laughing at us for paying such a fee for him and can't wait to get rid of him.

Yes his appearances have mostly come for the bench so can't really judge his goal ratio there.

What is however annoying is that we are taking unknown entities at such a crucial time in the season if true.

Hope this is not the only signing.

When ever an English club comes knocking the price goes up. If it was man City who were interested it would be £35m. And that is a fact.

Exactly. We don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer, as long as he can bring goals out of everybody else, like Pelle and Lambert always used to. On Tuesday against Palace we got desperate and started lumping it long, but had absolutely no aerial presence so it was a waste of time. Our goal struggles the last two seasons have been our only two seasons in this era without a big front man, it's not a coincidence.

Err, no, that's exactly what we do need. Desperately.

Along with a manager who knows what he's doing.

Seems like the sort of striker we need in terms of his physical characteristics.

Not got the greatest goal record but if he brings others into play and generates higher quality chances at the same time (and we sign someone else) then why not?

The answer is at the beginning of your sentence.

The fact he played under mope and we are bidding 17.5m tells me there will be no sacking any time soon and he's going to get backed in the transfer window ?

I’m hoping that this one is just a newspaper rumour. There must surely be better goal scoring forward options out there.

If there is any truth to it, it does feel like the club is doubling down on Pellegrino. The player won’t be helped in the eyes of the Saints supporters given his lack of goals and his association with such an unsuccessful manager.

Edited by Saint Albert

Let’s face it, a striker who has scored 45 in his entire career is unlikely to be the answer. The fact he is clearly a Pellegrino pick is worrying because a) he must be staying and b) if Pell has picked him he will almost certainly br sh*t.

85 league goals in 158(82) league games.

Carillo is 43 league goals in 95(90) league games.

Admittedly i'd forgotten about his dominance in Holland, but before that he did next to nothing. If we compare his record at 26 years of age it's 172 games and 62 goals. Not too dissimilar.

Is h any better than Sam Gallagher do you think? After an understandable slow start Sam has finally clicked at St Andrews, scoring goals and MoM last two games. Pellegrino hardly even looked at him in the summer.

I'm with you on this, why piddle a shed load of money up the wall on another Carlos Kickaball who ain't getting a game at Monaco, and doesn't seem to have sparkled anywhere he has been.

Get Sam back give him a spin, can't do any worse than what we have. And before we get all this "he has no experience" cobblers, everyone asked questions about Rickie Lambert in the prem, seemed to do alright when he got there.

I'm with you on this, why piddle a shed load of money up the wall on another Carlos Kickaball who ain't getting a game at Monaco, and doesn't seem to have sparkled anywhere he has been.

Get Sam back give him a spin, can't do any worse than what we have. And before we get all this "he has no experience" cobblers, everyone asked questions about Rickie Lambert in the prem, seemed to do alright when he got there.

With you on that, would rather give a young lad a go than spunk one third of the VVD money on a striker with as poor a scoring record as Carrillo. Even more so because he’d be a Pellegrino signing and I don’t want him to be around much longer.

With you on that, would rather give a young lad a go than spunk one third of the VVD money on a striker with as poor a scoring record as Carrillo. Even more so because he’d be a Pellegrino signing and I don’t want him to be around much longer.

Watched the youtube clip of Carrillo. This normally contains a montage in which even Steve De Ridder can be made to look outstanding, but the compilation for Carrillo shows nothing outstanding worth considering. He scored a couple of goals that you'd expect even Long or Rodriguez couldn't miss.

And if Pellegrino is as good as spotting a player as he is setting the team up then you know this is well worth avoiding.

FFS the goals per game bullsh!t is back, it's one of the most worthless stats around. Like Gabbi at Napoli, Carrillo's minutes per game is very low as he has a high number of sub appearances. Over the last 18 months his goals per 90 minutes is about 1, so the equivalent of a goal per game. Still, not a fan of the type of player he is and don't think he is what we need (I want a couple of Manés) but some of our fans want a big target man so may get their wish.

**** me if we were trying to sign a striker whose had a patchy season with Birmingham City, people would be in absolute meltdown. I haven't got a clue who this Guido guy is, but I'd bet my life he's a better player than Sam Gallagher at this moment in time.

I was at Anfield when Pelle got clog during his debut , but we've surpassed ourselves now, we're not writing people off after a couple of games, not after 1 game or even half a game, we're not even writing them off when they sign, we're writing them off before they sign. Perhaps we could arrange a lynch mob at the unveiling and boo him. "****ing useless lump, 0 goals in 0 games, not ****ing good enough".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

**** me if we were trying to sign a striker whose had a patchy season with Birmingham City, people would be in absolute meltdown. I haven't got a clue who this Guido guy is, but I'd bet my life he's a better player than Sam Gallagher at this moment in time.

I was at Anfield when Pelle got clog during his debut , but we've surpassed ourselves now, we're not writing people off after a couple of games, not after 1 game or even half a game, we're not even writing them off when they sign, we're writing them off before they sign. Perhaps we could arrange a lynch mob at the unveiling and boo him. "****ing useless lump, 0 goals in 0 games, not ****ing good enough".

But you have just written off Sam Gallagher!!??

Gabbiadini has pretty much been a flash in the pan in all reality, scored for fun in the first few games then has pretty much vanished off the score sheet. So you would splash the cash on what looks like potentially a MKII version of him, and totally ignore we have a striker out on loan who for the last 2 seasons has been short changed in the quality of teams he has been loaned to, yet on both occasions he has shone through the dirge he has been playing with. One thing is for sure get Sam back and you won't be suffering with having to settle in a foreign land, having to get your family to settle too, learn a new language get up to speed with the rigours of the Premier league. The lad knows the league and would probably benefit from the higher quality of service he will no doubt get.

If anything this Guido guy is playing second fiddle to "mercurial" Falcao - and boy did that lad set the Premier League on fire!!

It's not about writing players off before they get here. If we sign him i hope he succeeds like i want all our players too.

It's about spending the VVD money on players that will genuinely impact the first team and be clear #1's. I struggle to believe this guy is the absolute best striker within our price range

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Express your views my all means, but do we really need the racial overtones? Not the first time you have used this particular phrase either.

The club is in the **** and this is what we come up with. Someone else who has a very average scoring record. We have enough of those already.

Add him to our recent signings who spend more time on the bench these days.

Lemina, Gabbi, Boufal, Pied and Hoedt spring to mid.

I’m seriously struggling to remember a signing that has stamped his place in our first team?

So we sell big and buy cheap again. When will they learn that if you replace all your players with cheaper options "with potential" you just downgrade the overall standard and are relying on the potential being achieved all at the same time in order to compete high up the table. As is being proved right now is that when they do not perform as a group, the baseline standard is not high enough. We are doomed with this approach.

So we sell big and buy cheap again. When will they learn that if you replace all your players with cheaper options "with potential" you just downgrade the overall standard and are relying on the potential being achieved all at the same time in order to compete high up the table. As is being proved right now is that when they do not perform as a group, the baseline standard is not high enough. We are doomed with this approach.

Are you suggesting we spend £75m on a player and, if so, who might that player be?

Are you suggesting we spend £75m on a player and, if so, who might that player be?

Well, for example, fosun looks to be significantly better than carillo. Saints don't need fillers, they need 1-2 star players. We have none this year.

We have the money, so spend it wisely. It needs to be a player who is significantly better than all our other strikers and will always be first choice on the teemsheet.

Well, for example, fosun looks to be significantly better than carillo. Saints don't need fillers, they need 1-2 star players. We have none this year.

We have the money, so spend it wisely. It needs to be a player who is significantly better than all our other strikers and will always be first choice on the teemsheet.

See Wolves have signed the young and highly rated Rafa Mir for £1.5m as he was banging them in for Valencia B. If we are going to take a punt I would rather it be on someone like him rather than spending big money (for us) on a player who has a poor scoring record. Austin shows us that, if you have a knack for scoring goals, you’ll score them in any league and it doesn’t appear that Carrillo has shown any kind of knack for goal scoring throughout his career even in the Argentinian leagues.

We need someone who is going to come in and hit the ground running immediately not someone who might be alright but then equally might not be. As others have said, if Pellegrino is as good at picking players as he is at setting up a football team then I don’t have high hopes at all.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo