Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

It's going to be tough for a South American striker who is new to the league to hit the ground running.

Given his main asset is his ability in the air, it will be interesting to see how he makes it in a more physical league. No doubt there are things he did in Argentina and France, he won't be able to do here. Remember some stats showing that Hoedt had won the most headers in Italy or something. Don't get me wrong he's no slouch in the air -he's very good; but he's also been bullied at times.

David Blunkett could have told you that in fairness...

He probably could as he’s a big football fan! Sheffield Wednesday btw.

My concern is why our manager started the season getting the team to keep going wide and vaguely aiming high crosses at Gabbi when that wasn’t suited to his talents.

It should have been obvious after the first match that he should either change tactics to suit Gabbi (by passing to feet) or keep the tactics and play Austin upfront instead of Gabbi.

What he did was keep the high cross tactics and wait until 26th November against Everton to give Austin his first league start. Madness!

I'm a little more reassured that this looks close, because attribute wise he's exactly what we need. A powerful, tall centre forward. Someone to play off of. I'm not condoning long ball, but you need options and you need someone to give the rest of the team the opportunity to push up - he may not score bags and bags of goals, but what he'll bring us in holding up the ball will allow us to get more from the rest of the side

And our pacey wide player we seem to be targeting, who is also a 100% requirement for this team.

Reading the Monaco forum comments, they say he's much less effective in deeper positions when asked to hold up the ball or provide an outlet when the team is under the cosh. Basically he comes alive in the box: if the team enjoys plenty of the ball and likes to get crosses in, he can be very effective.

Reading the Monaco forum comments, they say he's much less effective in deeper positions when asked to hold up the ball or provide an outlet when the team is under the cosh. Basically he comes alive in the box: if the team enjoys plenty of the ball and likes to get crosses in, he can be very effective.

Well, hopefully we can make use of him deeper if he's willing to learn. But having a presence in the box will be a bonus for us. Bertrands crosses in particular are brilliant, but Cedric needs some work. We've been crying out for more height down the spine of this team for a while.

He may be excellent - but he’s not going to hit the ground running, and I doubt he’ll last 90m until he plays a few games. Got to hope that by late Feb when we have some crucial fixtures he is up to speed. Our record on buying understudies for class players abroad isn’t great though. Also for me means MoPe is staying which is a much greater concern. Is this fella going to give the players and fans the lift clearly needed ? Let’s hope so...

He's got a perfect name for some of our legendary songs too. You see:

- Oh, Guido Carillo! Oh, Guido Carillo!

- Guido! Guido! Guido!

- Les Reed went to Europe to buy a Fiat Doblo. Instead he bought a striker, his name is Carillo, Guido.

- Score a goal Guido Carillo, we will love you more than you will know. Whoa, whoa, woo.

- Guido! Guido! Guido!

- Les Reed went to Europe to buy a Fiat Doblo. Instead he bought a striker, his name is Carillo, Guido.

- Score a goal Guido Carillo, we will love you more than you will know. Whoa, whoa, woo.

as long as he hates pompey...

- Guido! Guido! Guido!

Carillo, woah, Carillo, woah

He left a tax haven

To play for the Asians

The worry is who is played in support because they have to score some goals and what formation we use. 4-3-3 would allow us to play Romeu, Hojbjerg and Lamina. 4-2-3-1 omits one but would allow Gabbiadini and Long to play with Boufal/Sims or 4-1-4-1 would probably see Gabbiadini or Long on the bench whilst 4-4-2 would be the most attacking with one of the midfielders left out. Despite his goals, as yet I can't see JWP as a forward and I must admit I have Redmond in the 'move him on' category. Tadic was much better on the left and his assist at Watford was precise. Long showed at Watford his ability to get down the touchline and deliver telling crosses. It will be interesting to see who else is brought in assuming that Carillo is on his way.

To get out of this we are going to have to win matches, therefore beating all our direct competitors. To do that we have to win the mini league by scoring regularly.

Edited by derry

20 goals in 29 starts for Monaco (plus a number of sub apps, some for just a handful of minutes).

Not as terrible as some make out.

The problem, if there is one with this signing, is not Carrillo.

It is that we are spending £15m. It it were double that then you get access to better players, with better goal records in better leagues.

Simple as that.

Source: Soccerbase

20 goals in 29 starts for Monaco (plus a number of sub apps, some for just a handful of minutes).

It is that we are spending £15m. It it were double that then you get access to better players, with better goal records in better leagues.

Simple as that.

Wikipedia has his Monaco career as 18 goals across 93 appearances. 5, 8 in the last two seasons, 5 this. Shane Long standard.

That seems more realistic for a £15m player than 20 goals in 29 which is Harry Kane/Roy of the Rovers stats.

I'm a little more reassured that this looks close, because attribute wise he's exactly what we need. A powerful, tall centre forward. Someone to play off of. I'm not condoning long ball, but you need options and you need someone to give the rest of the team the opportunity to push up - he may not score bags and bags of goals, but what he'll bring us in holding up the ball will allow us to get more from the rest of the side

And our pacey wide player we seem to be targeting, who is also a 100% requirement for this team.

I agree. Pelle and Lambert always gave us an outlet ball from Defence when pressed, or a diagonal cross to edge of area for knock down. It’s part of football and at no time with them in our team would we have been branded long ball merchants

Wikipedia has his Monaco career as 18 goals across 93 appearances. 5, 8 in the last two seasons, 5 this. Shane Long standard.

That seems more realistic for a £15m player than 20 goals in 29 which is Harry Kane/Roy of the Rovers stats.

Problem with stats is how they are interpreted and then spun or worded to fit a certain angle/perspective. The 20 in 29 was from starts. There's also 43 appearances as a sub in there too. Wiki seems to have 2 goals missing which were from non-league appearances (i.e. cup games / other games).

What would be really telling is the time he has spent on the pitch versus the goals scored. If those sub appearances are just the last 1-5 minutes each time, then the stats are pretty good, however if they are each 25-45 minutes, then that make it more Long than Kane. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.

Also, stats don't always show the bigger picture (i.e. what else about his game will benefit our team, does he bring players into play, can he hold the ball up, does he create spaces with movement off the ball etc). I've never seen him so can't comment but will say it can be slightly misleading to look at stats (particularity goals to games ratio) in isolation without a little more context and knowledge of the player.

Problem with stats is how they are interpreted and then spun or worded to fit a certain angle/perspective. The 20 in 29 was from starts. There's also 43 appearances as a sub in there too. Wiki seems to have 2 goals missing which were from non-league appearances (i.e. cup games / other games).

What would be really telling is the time he has spent on the pitch versus the goals scored. If those sub appearances are just the last 1-5 minutes each time, then the stats are pretty good, however if they are each 25-45 minutes, then that make it more Long than Kane. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.

Also, stats don't always show the bigger picture (i.e. what else about his game will benefit our team, does he bring players into play, can he hold the ball up, does he create spaces with movement off the ball etc). I've never seen him so can't comment but will say it can be slightly misleading to look at stats (particularity goals to games ratio) in isolation without a little more context and knowledge of the player.

So he’s never scored a goal in 43 appearances off the bench ?

43 sub appearances should not be interpreted as "well if we ignore all of those and just look at starts he's actually the second coming of Clive Allen" it should be interpreted as he can't get a frigging game.

I'd be happy with a striker who you know looks good in the right context etc etc if we were also buying one who scores lots of goals and has a track record of doing that. You know 14-18 a season, not 18 across three seasons like this guy.

Goals aren't a 'stat' for strikers, that's what we're paying for and it's what we desperately need.

See it as 7 goals in last 8 games which includes the cup matches.

Since December he has had plenty of time on the pitch.

Including a hat-trick against a french fourth tier side with a ground capacity of 2,000 odd. And one goal against a third division team.

2 starts in the league so far this season.

He might turn out to be the Micky Evans we are looking for but frankly on paper it feels like an awful buy, especially if it is on the recommendation of our current manager.

So in total, including league, domestic cups and international cups throughout his career he's had:

Appearances - 237

Starts - 125

Sub Appearances - 112

Minutes Played - 12,679

Effective Games - 141 (Minutes Played / 90)

Goals - 63

Games per goal - 2.24

Goals per game - 0.45

Not as bad as it initially looked. Also just looking at his Monaco career and looking at his goals to minutes on the pitch, he's scored 21 goals in 3729 minutes (equivalent to 41 effective full games). This is a return of a goal every 1.97 games (every 178 minutes) or 0.51 goals per game.

Based on this, if he started every game and played a full 90 minutes we could expect him to return 17-19 goals a season. Obviously playing for Monaco in the French League is arguably a completely different prospect to playing for Saints in the Premier League and I imagine he'll find it harder to find the net (particularity give a lack of supply).

So in total, including league, domestic cups and international cups throughout his career he's had:

Appearances - 237

Starts - 125

Sub Appearances - 112

Minutes Played - 12,679

Effective Games - 141 (Minutes Played / 90)

Goals - 63

Games per goal - 2.24

Goals per game - 0.45

Not as bad as it initially looked. Also just looking at his Monaco career and looking at his goals to minutes on the pitch, he's scored 21 goals in 3729 minutes (equivalent to 41 effective full games). This is a return of a goal every 1.97 games (every 178 minutes) or 0.51 goals per game.

Based on this, if he started every game and played a full 90 minutes we could expect him to return 17-19 goals a season. Obviously playing for Monaco in the French League is arguably a completely different prospect to playing for Saints in the Premier League and I imagine he'll find it harder to find the net (particularity give a lack of supply).

Why doesn't he play every game now then?

He's started two league games this season.

Why doesn't he play every game now then?

He's started two league games this season.

Because he is ****e and Monaco are ****ing themselves laughing with our 15m.

Anymore Pellegrino style signings to back him with his wonderful managerial record for Saints?

[h=3]Fabian Assman[/h]Fabian Assman is an Argentian goalkeeper playing for Independiente in the Primera División in Argentina?

Falcao, Balde, Lemar, Diakhaby. Hard to get a start with a forward line like that.

Lemar and Balde are wingers. Lemar HCDAJFU, though. Balde came with a big price tag and alot of hype but is having Sadio Mané growing pains.

Falcao’s the only real striker with pedigree. By contrast, Monaco fans think Diakhaby’s absolute dogs**t.

Edited by shurlock

Bit like pellegrino was this fella would have been no where near top of the list of targets. Unfortunately due to Les and Ralphs dithering, penny pinching and "small club" mentality we find ourselves looking for bottom of the barrel crap. Totally self inflicted incompetence. Had they sacked the clown post Leicester defeat and lined up deals using known vvd money it is highly likely we would be in better position. Obviously lining up deals early comes at a premium but arguably better investment than our current strategy of doing **** all and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Bit like pellegrino was this fella would have been no where near top of the list of targets. Unfortunately due to Les and Ralphs dithering, penny pinching and "small club" mentality we find ourselves looking for bottom of the barrel crap. Totally self inflicted incompetence. Had they sacked the clown post Leicester defeat and lined up deals using known vvd money it is highly likely we would be in better position. Obviously lining up deals early comes at a premium but arguably better investment than our current strategy of doing **** all and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Weren't we linked with fella well before Walcott?As he is an ex player of the current manager and a big CF I imagine he probably was in and around our top targets. The more worrying thing is he seems to be a MoPe signing which would suggest MoPe isn't going anywhere soon.

Lemar and Balde are wingers. Lemar HCDAJFU, though. Balde came with a big price tag and alot of hype but is having Sadio Mané growing pains.

Falcao’s the only real striker with pedigree. By contrast, Monaco fans think Diakhaby’s absolute dogs**t.

Mind you, that Kylian M'Bappe wasn't too bad last season for them.

He sits on the bench because of Falcao, one of the best centre forwards in the world. He only needs to score goals against the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Swansea, West Brom. He doesn’t need to be a world beater. It’s disappointing he’s the best we can muster up, but he looks and sounds completely different to anything we have at the moment which in my opinion is very important, we need a physical presence. If he takes the likes of Tadic and Boufal and Long up another gear because he causes defenders more problems than they currently do, then it’s fine by me. I have wanted Pellegrino gone since Brighton away (possibly even earlier), but if we’re going to keep the guy at least allow him to pick some players that he thinks will suit whatever his system is (i don’t know what it is, i’m not even sure he does) to give us a fighting chance of staying up.

He sits on the bench because of Falcao, one of the best centre forwards in the world. He only needs to score goals against the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Swansea, West Brom. He doesn’t need to be a world beater. It’s disappointing he’s the best we can muster up, but he looks and sounds completely different to anything we have at the moment which in my opinion is very important, we need a physical presence. If he takes the likes of Tadic and Boufal and Long up another gear because he causes defenders more problems than they currently do, then it’s fine by me. I have wanted Pellegrino gone since Brighton away (possibly even earlier), but if we’re going to keep the guy at least allow him to pick some players that he thinks will suit whatever his system is (i don’t know what it is, i’m not even sure he does) to give us a fighting chance of staying up.

Good points. So why was he not here from January 2nd?

Simple as that.

Unfortunately due to our pay structure we will never get access to the 30 million pound players . Saints dont want them and they don't want us .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Carillo will be well aware that he's being signed for the Championship next season. Keeping that fact a secret to him wouldn't help the club at all, best to be open and realistic. Give him lots of U21 games until the summer and hope he hits the ground running and bangs in the goals to help keep us out of League 1.

Couldn't be more underwhelmed with this signing, especially since it means offloading Gabbi - seeing us a striker short again

If that happens, it'll be criminal. Less than a year since his Wembley heroics and that wonderful debut goal v W Ham - was in Kingsland/Northam corner and very loud celebration - and we see a player with those instincts and that movement leave, probably at a loss. All because Reed imposes a system and formation that doesn't work anymore and only employs managers like Pellegrino who are subservient. What a pitiful state of affairs. FFS, we just recieved a world record fee for a defender.

Unfortunately due to our pay structure we will never get access to the 30 million pound players . Saints dont want them and they don't want us .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Agree, but in that context Carrillo is the sort of player you will end up with.

£15m is the £8m of a few years ago. You will get a young prospect with few games, a Championship striker you aren't sure will make the step up, a reserve who isn't playing at a bigger club or an old past it has-been.

£15m will not buy someone in their prime with a great goal record, who starts every week at a team in a good league. For those you start the bidding at £30m. For a player like Benteke.

Spent a bit of time watching him this morning a little more i depth. I can see what Monaco fans mean by his ability in the air. Some bullet headers. Would be quite pleased to see him attacking some of our crosses from Tadic, Bertrand and JWP. Either might make Cedric look accurate every now and then.

Carillo will be well aware that he's being signed for the Championship next season. Keeping that fact a secret to him wouldn't help the club at all, best to be open and realistic. Give him lots of U21 games until the summer and hope he hits the ground running and bangs in the goals to help keep us out of League 1.

:lol: He'll be signing up to try and keep us from getting relegated and he'll know it. It's not as if we're cut adrift at the bottom of the league is it? There are other sh1t teams around us and if we managed to have the balls to hold on to a lead we'll pull away. A couple of decent players that are strong characters will help with that respect.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo