The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

While Theo is undoubted quality, I just wonder whether he is 'relegation dogfight' quality, and this is my issue with quite a few of the names mentioned on the transfers thread. I'm thinking that we need a certain kind of player to get us out of this mess and I don't think that Theo is that kind of player. I don't know who the player is myself, but in my mind I've got leader, talker, warrior, organizer and the like - not Theo.

While Theo is undoubted quality, I just wonder whether he is 'relegation dogfight' quality, and this is my issue with quite a few of the names mentioned on the transfers thread. I'm thinking that we need a certain kind of player to get us out of this mess and I don't think that Theo is that kind of player. I don't know who the player is myself, but in my mind I've got leader, talker, warrior, organizer and the like - not Theo.

Great get that guy and Theo! I've wanted to see Walcott play through the middle for a team since he left us and I assume that wil be a condition on his return, he's still young enough and appears to have the desire to prove himself so I'd take him back he's got to score and create more than shane fookin long

We may need a leader, talker, warrior and organiser but we also need someone to put the ball in the net and Theo is a proven premier league scorer, year in year out...sign him up! He will also excite our disillusioned fanbase and that is worth a lot. Hope instead of despair...that's what we would get with Theo

I disagree, he want to get on the plane to Russia so will be hungry to bang in a few goals and get noticed. If he came he would give the whole team and fan base a lift.

When's joey Barton off his ban ?

He’s the type of player who will get the fans off their seats. He’s the player we want Redmond to be but never will be.

Those ‘warrior’ players tend to be central defenders or midfielders anyway. One of them in defence would be great.

Theo’s a good player with speed, he scores goals and has an emotional connection to the club. If he wants to come here, we should sign him up if the fee is not exorbitant.

I can’t see too many players of his quality wanting to play for Pellegrino in a team this close to the relegation zone.

Anybody who pays £40 million for him & 140k a week is ****ing bonkers, if you ask me. Too much heart over head on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree - loan or £15-£20m max, imo.

Pretty overrated but will offer us the pace and directness we’re crying out for.

The best we can hope for is a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy if we stay up. I just don't see this happening. Why on earth would he want to come to Southampton when things are as bad as they are? Be honest, other than the fact he used to play for us, he'd be better going to somewhere like, Leicester, Watford, Burnley or Everton.

The best we can hope for is a loan until the end of the season with an option to buy if we stay up. I just don't see this happening. Why on earth would he want to come to Southampton when things are as bad as they are? Be honest, other than the fact he used to play for us, he'd be better going to somewhere like, Leicester, Watford, Burnley or Everton.
Why not sign him with a relegation clause that he can be sold if we go down?

If you believe this, Arsenal want 30M for Theo and he’s having doubts about Saints because of Pellegrino and our tenuous league position...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5278194/arsenal-theo-walcott-30m-southampton/

If Theo tells Reed that Pellegrino is putting him off signing, this could be the trigger to Reed sacking him. Theo could save us from relegation even if he doesn’t ultimately sign for us!

The Sun’s £35 million suggestion is surely nonsense. I imagine if they were the same age and had the same contract lengths outstanding, Theo and the Ox would be worth about the same, but the Ox is 24 and had a year remaining on his contract, while Theo is 28 with 18 months left.

Seems like there's something in it. Even if it doesn't come off, clearly interest on both sides. Thought it needed it's own thread.

Literally all southampton are doing is waiting for

Arsenal to sanction it.

Nothing to do with the fee/wages.

It's theoretically done.

Why would he come? He's not sentimental. He's level headed. And he could probably get more elsewhere, in teams higher up the league. Like Everton. Really hope this isn't the one name being offered as appeasement to fans and then will be .'we tried all we could' when he goes elsewhere. Leaving us up shyte creek with Mr Magoo still in charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would he come? He's not sentimental. He's level headed. And he could probably get more elsewhere, in teams higher up the league. Like Everton. Really hope this isn't the one name being offered as appeasement to fans and then will be .'we tried all we could' when he goes elsewhere. Leaving us up shyte creek with Mr Magoo still in charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree he could go to better clubs but he has the history as a school boy and shined for us at the age of 16.

It's a world cup year and probably his last chance at one so we in his and his agents eyes could see us being the perfect club for that. He will be seen as the 'star player' and if he can project us up the league come may then Southgate will have no option but to take him to Russia. If he were to go to an Everton or west ham with a much larger squad is he guaranteed to start week in week out?

Secondly he will see the success of players getting into the England squad such as Bertrand who was in a similar situation at Chelsea. He needs game time and thats what I think it will boil down too.

He's just the player we need. Direct and uncomfortable for defenders, can play anywhere in the front 4 and will give us the confidence we need going forward.

Wages is the only issue I forsee. All IMO of course.

Edited by Saint Scott

Walcott starts for Arsenal in FA Cup, so if he comes he will be cup-tied, if its a done deal its a typical Saints bodge! Obviously PL is the priority but this would be pretty poor negotiating by us or a sign he is going nowhere in this window.

It's clearly nowhere close.