The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

Sounds like he's close to signing for Everton.

I've still got a feeling we're going to be reluctant to spend in this window with "championship ready" Sam Gallagher and Harry Reed ready to come back for next season.

Chinese owners will be happy with VVD income representing a healthy % of their leveraged deal. still very suspicious of them and their motives, which clearly have nothing to do with a love of football despite what Freddie Kruger says.

Amazingly, he wants to come here. Wages and fee still not sorted though, so Everton feel they can get him.

Just the wages and fee to sort then?! :(

Fee of £20-30 million seems feasible, given he is a 28 year old England international who scored 19 goals least season I think, and we can afford that (though are we prepared to pay it?). But wages ..... he's reportedly on well over £100k a week and I can't see us matching that, whereas I can see Everton doing so, so unless he's desperate to stay in the south, we've no chance.

If he does come here for less than he'd get at Everton, then he deserves a proper welcome from the fans.

Reasons for why he might prefer to come to Saints might include the fact that our track record with preventing and treating player injuries is superior.

Cedric, Bertrand, Pied, Austin, Sims, Yoshi... We could go on... One of our biggest problems this year is a lack of genuine star quality, and injuries to a lot of our best players.

Thought so, perhaps its just some wanting to have another pop at the club, as if we don`t have enough of that already

Surely you don't believe people on this forum are queuing up to have a pop at the Club on the basis of faceless rumour??

I bet the likes of Calvert Lewin and Lookman must be buzzing, even further down the pecking order.

Fat Sam picking up where Ronald left off.

We should've signed Lookman & Demarai Gray before they got snapped up.

Said that at the time. Gray was £3.5m FFS.

as soon as it was made public it was all over, it’s not the Southampton way and always goes tits up

Ah well, we probably have a Monaco reserve striker on the way, with a thoroughly average scoring record and who has been picked by a manager we all want shot of. There’s something to look forward to eh!?

Looks all but signed for Everton.

I'm not his biggest fan and for the money being talked about, I think there is better out there.. However, he clearly was a key target, he would have offered us something we don't have (pace and directness), probably would have improved us and at one point looked like it was a done deal that he'd come here.

Yet again, Les / the transfer committee **** up in the transfer window. Well done lads!

I'm not too worried about missing out on Walcott but I am worried that we may have put all our eggs in one basket again like we have done in the past. Will be very interesting to see who we do actually end up with considering that Walcott seemed to be our first choice.

Were we ever really in for Walcott though?

It never seemed likely to me anyway, I'd love to see him back at Saints but it's just not the kind of signing we have made for a very long time.

Was not Les quoted recently as saying that we were hopeful of getting him? Or was that just made up or even a figment of my imagination?

I'm not his biggest fan and for the money being talked about, I think there is better out there.. However, he clearly was a key target, he would have offered us something we don't have (pace and directness), probably would have improved us and at one point looked like it was a done deal that he'd come here.

Yet again, Les / the transfer committee **** up in the transfer window. Well done lads!

My thoughts exactly. Isn’t the first time and certainly won’t be the last.

Yep. Mark this down as a Toby style f*ck up.

Theo wants to come here. Doesn't want to live up north but he's worried by our league position and the possibility of relegation.

I think he'll end up making a decision that's best for his career.

We'll done Les and MP.

He's right to be worried. I'd move to Everton too currently.

Theo wants to come here. Doesn't want to live up north but he's worried by our league position and the possibility of relegation.

We'll done Les and MP.

Can you blame him? More money, more ambition and more than likely to stay in the league.

Lets be honest, who in their right mind would want to come to this shower of sh!te club at the moment? Even half the players we already have don't want to be here.

So he doesn't think he's good enough to help turn our season around....?*

(*asked rhetorically with tongue firmly in cheek as I know the response to the question is: "yeah, but it doesn't matter how good the players are when we've got a manager who doesn't exploit their strengths")

:)

We'll done Les and MP.

I would argue that he doesn’t want to come that badly if this is the case

Disappointed that it seems that Theo won't be rejoining the club, but I'm ambivalent about whether the club should be investing £20-25 million in him (if the reported fee is correct). Having a club that nearly went to the wall, I'm prepared to cut the board some slack if they don't want to throw money around in the transfer market like confetti. It does mean that it is a very tough task to stay in the Premier league when other clubs are not showing anywhere near the same fiscal restraint. It also means that we need to get the best out of the youth team and our existing players with top notch management and coaching. This is where I think we are currently falling down.

We'll done Les and MP.

Actually his wife wants to come here not Theo.

Theo will probably share the traveling with Chamberlian when they travel south to see their loved ones.

Thinking out loud..... If Theo is definitely keener to come here than Everton (in principle), is there not scope for coming up with some kind of deal whereby he comes here on loan until the end of the season and then automatically becomes a permenant deal if/when we stay up. Isn't that a win-win for both us and Theo? (I also can't see it being a 'bad' deal for Arsenal either as they can still sell him elesewhere in the summer if we get relegated.... unless his value drops in the meantime but can't see how it would do so significantly)

Inevitable that he'd go to Everton and another reality check for the deluded Chair and Vice Chair. That said, would Everton let Niasse go now? Made a real difference at Hull and was Everton's bright spot of the season early on. Raw but has some pace and power.

We'll done Les and MP.

I don't see why that would matter. If Saints were relegated, Walcott would more than likely be sold to another top flight club so it shouldn't be an issue of great concern for him.

I don't see why that would matter. If Saints were relegated, Walcott would more than likely be sold to another top flight club so it shouldn't be an issue of great concern for him.

I suppose he's concerned at whether he'd get a move to a club as good as Everton with a relegation on his CV. I agree that he would certainly be sold if we went down but its a question of who might want him at that point.

He address an immediate need and is keen to join. How the **** have we allowed this one to slip through our fingers again?

Perhaps his and Arsenals demands were far too excessive and more than his worth for a player who has had few appearances this season and several injuries...

Everything has a value....