The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

Who needs a PR department when you have the Daily Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/12/southampton-believe-model-works-now-mauricio-pellegrino-must/

This wide-ranging article claims that a competitive offer for Theo is on the table.

Quite. The Board's doing a great job, which we don't boast about by the way, and it's now up to the manager to deliver.

£30M would be a crazy number to pay for him.

Unless we do something drastically different tactically then it would be madness to sign him.

However, if we had a Pelle/Lambert style forward to leading the line it could work pretty well.

For me that's a much higher priority. Along with a new manager who isn't a complete clown.

Anything else (like Walcott) is just gravy.

Hmm, Les 'hopeful' that the 'competitive package' offered is enough to tempt Theo. Also served up with a ready-made excuse of him making a 'lifestyle choice' (basically more money and less chance of getting relegated) if he doesn't sign. I'd say it's looking hopeless.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

**** me, reading some on here you’d think that Theo only wanted to come to us but because of Les’ **** up/dithering/tightness/complacency was forced to take his second choice, Everton. As they showed with Koeman they can blow us out of the water when it comes to wages. There maybe a player somewhere out there that will be worth breaking our wage structure for, but it’s not Theo Walcott. I’m sure we’ve given him the best offer we can within our structure, if he can get more elsewhere , good luck to the bloke. But it’s not a stick you can beat Les Reed with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could it not be argued that Les Reed should have known that Theo would never join us with our wage structure . That Theo is certainly not the player we need anyway .

Les Reed then spouting Theo's name to his media contacts to 'appease' fans just shows what an utter baffoon he really is ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

That article says we're looking for Walcott and a wide player, which suggest Walcott will be our main striker, not what we need. Wide player yes, central striker no.

Yeh hadn't seen that article when I initially posted. You're right: Walcott's not what we need if he's going to be played down the middle. Had based my comment on the various stories linking us to the Argentinian at Monaco who is more of a conventional centre forward. But they're clearly less credible than the telegraph article which is basically from the horse's mouth.

That article says we're looking for Walcott and a wide player, which suggest Walcott will be our main striker, not what we need. Wide player yes, central striker no.

Interesting if true as Sam Allardyce pretty much said he would play out wide for Everton yesterday (especially now they’ve signed Cenk Tosun).

Still can’t help but feel it may be a typo though seeing as they mentioned the absence of Austin and then said we are looking for a wide player.

Plus, Pellegrino has highlighted the fact that we don’t have anyone of the profile of Austin in our squad.

Pretty sure that's wrong. We're being linked with Walcott and a CF, so it's safe to assume that Walcott is being eyed up for Redmonds position.

I like the Man City are playing the Sanchez situation, you know the terms sign or go elsewhere. Walcott is said to want to come back to Saints and so don't let the agents use other clubs to push up the terms or price.

At the end of the day unless Theo actually signs the contract the agents have no choice, the player still has the ultimate decision. I wonder if Theo or his wife really want to live in Liverpool

Big favourite with bookies to join us now. 9/4 Everton which is buying money if a ‘done deal’

Strange seeing as our manager went for the not commenting on someone else's player route while Bfs went for the we want him and blowing smoke up his arse route ! Maybe they know something we don't ?

Jeremy Wilson:

"Theo Walcott is also increasingly likely to depart shortly – with Everton still favourites to sign him – but he is in Arsenal’s squad today."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/14/alexis-sanchez-left-arsenal-squad-bournemouth-manchester-united/

Looks like this mini saga will be sorted either way at some stage this week. I wonder if he is one of the two targets MP was hopeful would be added next week.

IMO either he makes a sensible career choice (Everton) or a lifestyle choice (Saints). Surely the former?

Jeremy Wilson:

"Theo Walcott is also increasingly likely to depart shortly – with Everton still favourites to sign him – but he is in Arsenal’s squad today."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/14/alexis-sanchez-left-arsenal-squad-bournemouth-manchester-united/

Looks like this mini saga will be sorted either way at some stage this week. I wonder if he is one of the two targets MP was hopeful would be added next week.

IMO either he makes a sensible career choice (Everton) or a lifestyle choice (Saints). Surely the former?

We're still no doubt confident & relaxed he will sign for us (despite Everton's interest).

We think that offering him the chance to have lunch with Ralph every 2nd Monday will swing the deal.

Don't think league position matters, as you'd get a relegation release clause anyway. But the management does. If he's paid any attention, he'd see a squad full of hit of form, poorly motivated players, constant team changes and appalling management.

He wants to play every week. If he comes here he'll get the dropped when he scores.

Do you think the team winning 2-0 at half time yesterday was poorly motivated?

If he chooses us over Everton then he should be sent for immediate psychiatric testing.

You would genuinely have to question his ambition and appetite for the game.

With our style of play, our ownership our management at all levels and our league position we really don't offer much genuine appeal.....

Location, location, location.... Is that really worth all the other sacrifices?