The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

If Sanchez goes to Man Utd, will it be pr lies or ineptitude from Man C?

Jesus, who do people think we are Real Madrid? We’re so attractive that nobody could ever prefer another club, unless it’s “ineptitude “ from our board. Are other clubs supporters like this, god surely not.

Some people don’t seem to understand that players, for various reasons , choose one club over another. In any transfer there’s probably at least 2 or 3 clubs interested in the player, who can then only sign for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there is a difference on this occasion, we had the impression that Walcott had saints in his heart. He made many gestures to give us that opinion.

He is a very wealthy young man and Not getting full wages won’t make too much difference to his future. To come back to us and have the chance to be a true hero and embed his name in a clubs fan base could be worth more than money IMO

i suggest him come over to the Saints fans getting adulation is now off the cards.

Or simply, as I've already stated, the player not wanting to move to a team mired in a relegation battle and not looking like getting out of it.

The ineptitude is in appointing a useless manager and not having the minerals to sack him. Now it's too late, the damage is done and we're sailing off into the Championship.

Agree. I can't imagine many even half-decent players – let alone decent players like Walcott –looking to reignite their Premier League careers, having us as their first-choice in our current precarious predicament.

On top of that, there's still the possibility that the board may finally get round to sacking Pellegrino – like you say, probably far too late now – all of which adds up to more uncertainty for any potential signing to have to consider.

All I can say is how many times have we seen this smoke and mirrors from the club and then the player goes somewhere else. It makes me think they were never that serious unless it was on the cheap relatively.

How many times have we seen it? Not that many that I can remember.

All I can say is how many times have we seen this smoke and mirrors from the club and then the player goes somewhere else. It makes me think they were never that serious unless it was on the cheap relatively.

Looks like they are messing up the 3rd transfer window in a row. As they said on sky selling vvd whilst having nobody lined up to come in is very poor decision making.

What worries me is if we get stuffed by Spurs (likely) we will become desperate and throw stupid money at some mercenaries just to get bodies in. This is without a doubt our most important transfer window since being back in the PL and again Reed is ****ing about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5278491/Theo-Walcott-joins-Everton-25m-deal-Arsenal.html

£25m - there are a few places saying that, and a few others saying over £20m. Although the DM article does start....Theo Walcott insists he has joined Everton to win silverware and reignite his career after completing his £20million move from Arsenal.

£20m with £5m add ons apparently. How many players ever say they moved for the wages? It’s all about ambition apparently! And he really wants to work with Fat Sam. Good luck Theo, no shots on target on the last couple of games and currently a worse away record than us.

£20m with £5m add ons apparently. How many players ever say they moved for the wages? It’s all about ambition apparently! And he really wants to work with Fat Sam. Good luck Theo, no shots on target on the last couple of games and currently a worse away record than us.

To be fair to him though I imagine he took a pay cut to go there. They said he was on around £120k at Arsenal. Can't see Everton beating nor matching that. If it was just about money he would of signed a new deal at Arsenal. By all accounts he has moved because he wants to play in the World Cup and as he is not playing for Arsenal that looked unlikely. I think people bashing him for picking Everton over us and saying it is about money is very harsh. The reality is closer to the board probably not offering anywhere near the £20m Arsenal wanted. In fact they say we only wanted him on loan whilst Arsenal wanted only a permanent deal. Think the blame lies closer to home than 'greedy footballers' imo.

Seems pretty simple. We are in clear relegation danger and probably wanted him on a long term contract, which he and his agent rightly thought was risky because we could be in the championship next year. Had we got the deal done over Christmas though, where we still had a couple of winnable games, maybe it would have been different. Any industry will talk amongst itself so despite our European Competition rhetoric people will know we aren’t close to that anymore and the kids aren’t coming through. The club will probably still trying to sell that European football vision whilst hearing from other current players and players who have left that our level has been reduced. We probably just need a few grafters anyway to focus on maintaining our Premier League status. I think if the owner was serious about taking us to the next level we would have heard more by now too as I can’t imagine he made a purchase without any plan like RK has tried to imply by saying he’s taking his time to assess things first. I don’t buy it.

I'm sure it was Adam Blackmore on twitter saying that he thought Saints were "window shopping" for Walcott and Sturridge.

I've not heard anything about Sturridge but they were certainly serious about Theo and before Xmas it was close to a done deal. That changed after our run of results, as I posted a couple of weeks ago.

The only surprise was that WHU didn't actually bid as I was told that Everton and they were both after him as soon as he had informed Saints the deal was off.

I'll see what I can find out about Sturridge.

To be fair to him though I imagine he took a pay cut to go there. They said he was on around £120k at Arsenal. Can't see Everton beating nor matching that. If it was just about money he would of signed a new deal at Arsenal. By all accounts he has moved because he wants to play in the World Cup and as he is not playing for Arsenal that looked unlikely. I think people bashing him for picking Everton over us and saying it is about money is very harsh. The reality is closer to the board probably not offering anywhere near the £20m Arsenal wanted. In fact they say we only wanted him on loan whilst Arsenal wanted only a permanent deal. Think the blame lies closer to home than 'greedy footballers' imo.

I don't believe for one minute he has taken a pay cut. Everton are awash with money now and can afford his wages.

He would have just let his contract run down at Arsenal rather than take a pay cut. He could have gone on loan for the rest of the season if it's just about the World Cup.

I've not heard anything about Sturridge but they were certainly serious about Theo and before Xmas it was close to a done deal. That changed after our run of results, as I posted a couple of weeks ago.

The only surprise was that WHU didn't actually bid as I was told that Everton and they were both after him as soon as he had informed Saints the deal was off.

I'll see what I can find out about Sturridge.

Inter are interested in Sturridge according to Italian journo Di Marzio

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apparently we should have signed Rooney first...(also a 140K a week :?)

Theo Walcott reveals the role Wayne Rooney played in him leaving Arsenal and securing a £20million move to Everton

Theo Walcott has revealed Wayne Rooney played a "massive" part in him leaving Arsenal*for Everton in a deal worth £20million this January.

The 28-year-old underwent a medical and thrashed out personal terms at Finch Farm, before putting pen to paper on a deal worth £140,000-a-week.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/theo-walcott-reveals-the-role-wayne-rooney-played-in-him-leaving-arsenal-and-securing-a-%C2%A320million-move-to-everton/ar-AAuQD7V?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

My thoughts exactly, no way did we give a 29 yr old Forster a 5 year contract on near £100k a week!

Unless the stories about Les , players getting new bumper contract's and the agency Les's son works for has any substance! ? :suspicious:

Unless the stories about Les , players getting new bumper contract's and the agency Les's son works for has any substance! ? :suspicious:

How many times does that need to be brought up. It has nothing to do with that.

Fraser Forster is with Stellar Football Management.

we pay Forster that or very near it

Our total wages is circa £95m a year

So as a rough guide 95m / 25 = £3.8m

£3.8m a year is £73k per week.

So realistically we will have players on 100k as players like Pied, Stephens, McQueen will be driving the average down.

So realistically we will have players on 100k as players like Pied, Stephens, McQueen will be driving the average down.

Doesn't that figure also cover the entire staff -from Les Reed right down to the tea lady. Players wages are a large part of that but not all of it. The figures below are the most recent ones I could find for the first team squad (Gabbi was the highest earner as of March 2017). No doubt some would have seen their wages bumped up during the summer as new contracts and players were signed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/599698/Southampton-weekly-wages-Manolo-Gabbiadini-Martin-Caceres-sportgalleries/amp

This will be the "cost" of employment which includes employers NI and pension, for every single person employed at Southampton FC. So your figures are going to be way off.

we pay Forster that or very near it

Once upon a time, figures have been shared with me, but not for a while now. Ramirez and Osvaldo were paid more than people believe we pay players now. As stupid a business decision as it would be, it is highly possible that we're paying 6 figure weekly salaries.

Stevens apparently is on 48k pw. It is ridiculous that average players are on over 30k pw. We are mad paying into this

Once upon a time, figures have been shared with me, but not for a while now. Ramirez and Osvaldo were paid more than people believe we pay players now. As stupid a business decision as it would be, it is highly possible that we're paying 6 figure weekly salaries.

Ramirez was on 70k, wasn't he? (I'm now anticipating a net vs gross fight/debate :lol:)

Stevens apparently is on 48k pw. It is ridiculous that average players are on over 30k pw. We are mad paying into this

That has got to be bull - surely?

Who told you that figure? Cb fry?

We haven't got a wage bill as large as ours without having players on big contracts...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3925722/southampton-jack-stephens-signs-contract/

Wow. I'm going to have to apologise to nick there I really didn't think that was true...

The wage bill has to be full of some big wages somewhere. If van Dijk was on £65k p/w as recently claimed then that is £3.4m a year... that leaves a lot of wagebill left to be taken up by the rest of the squad.

You can't get to a wagebill as large as Saints' with players like Stephens only on £20k p/w, it has to be higher across the squad than many seem to think.

The wage bill has to be full of some big wages somewhere. If van Dijk was on £65k p/w as recently claimed then that is £3.4m a year... that leaves a lot of wagebill left to be taken up by the rest of the squad.

You can't get to a wagebill as large as Saints' with players like Stephens only on £20k p/w, it has to be higher across the squad than many seem to think.

I didn't imagine other would not be on more I was just surprised that we decided to give a fringe first team player so much cash. Makes their poor performances even worse.

Targett is on an insane amount of money, just below that of Stephens. Some of you would be completely shocked if you realised how much money some extremely average players were earning at Saints.

We could be in a bad way financially if we go down then, a bunch of **** players on massive 5 year contracts will hoover up the parachute payments in no time.

Targett is on an insane amount of money, just below that of Stephens. Some of you would be completely shocked if you realised how much money some extremely average players were earning at Saints.

Yep.... Which makes me laugh when people turn their nose up at paying £100k a week for someone like Walcott...

Jesus that is mental.

I really hope the bubble bursts. A lot of insiders seem to think there is no way Sky will fork out what they did last time, and BT will be just happy to retain their existing packages. So unless Facebook and Amazon come in, the new TV rights deal will be worth less. Good news.

Jesus that is mental.

I really hope the bubble bursts. A lot of insiders seem to think there is no way Sky will fork out what they did last time, and BT will be just happy to retain their existing packages. So unless Facebook and Amazon come in, the new TV rights deal will be worth less. Good news.

Pay per view will be worth more.

Is targetts agent the same lot as reed's son's?

Oh and the info I put up was from a member of his family not the Sun

Next time you speak to said family member, it may be worth making sure you spell his / their name right.....