The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

What's really annoying looking at the stats is Austin has a much better minutes played to goals scored record in the PL than Walcott (not criticising Walcott). If Austin could actually stay fit (and managers actually played him) all season we probably wouldn't be where we are right now.

This is the problem - If he could stay fit (and improve on his general fitness), he'd be a top 10 PL CF. Unfortunately for us, and him, he can't. He is guaranteed at least 1 injury a season and his general fitness is not good enough (he's far too heavy imo).

If managed correctly, he could be a vital player for us in the coming years - similar to Lambert if he can sort out his lifestyle.

I think a player like Walcott would play well off him.

Yep - the start of the end. We had an excellent chance to push on instead the owner just wanted to continue milking the £'s and at board room level they just wanted to appease her.

We lost our manager and 3 best players (Wanyama, Pelle & Mane) and went for the cheap option who had 'potential'.

In all fairness, that's exactly what Mane and Wanyama were. I don't see Boufal and Hojbjerg being anything other than a similar transfer strategy.

Latest club fed Telegraph article acknowledges that Walcott had issues with our precarious league position: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/17/southampton-look-conclude-quick-deal-monacos-argentinian-striker/

This is the key line:

"Pellegrino’s position is now under considerable scrutiny and, while the club hierarchy are sympathetic to the difficulties he faced while Van Dijk was still in the dressing-room and evidently keen to leave, they are concerned by recent results."

And that we would not match the Everton wages offer and we are looking to sign Carillo quicly
sign someone quickly, lol Every club knows we are after him and so I doubt it is a secret. We had 2 weeks before the window opened knowing that money was coming in, and still couldn't pull a quick deal off.

Latest club fed Telegraph article acknowledges that Walcott had issues with our precarious league position: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/17/southampton-look-conclude-quick-deal-monacos-argentinian-striker/

“The club hierarchy...are concerned by recent results.”

Recent results???? I suppose we should be glad they finally noticed.

This is the key line:

"Pellegrino’s position is now under considerable scrutiny and, while the club hierarchy are sympathetic to the difficulties he faced while Van Dijk was still in the dressing-room and evidently keen to leave, they are concerned by recent results."

and so if they got rid of MP now, what time does that give a new manager to get someone in. It seems to me that there is no real appetite to spend any money, we have basically what we have got and get on with it attitude

Who said anything about it being secret?
well to sign someone quickly could be, before anyone else takes him, or sign someone quickly in desperation.

A bit of both it seems to me, the club also normally try and keep signings secret,but that seems to have gone now as well.

Play on words but we were not willing to pay 100k a week and rightly so imo...

You seem to be completely ignoring the fact that Walcott appeared to be our main / top target for this window - someone at the club clearly rates him - £100k a week or not (FWIW that's not that much any more) it's very concerning that our competitors are more attractive than us on a 'top target'. Especially when it at one point it was pretty much in the bag.

If he kept us in the league, that extra £20k a week (guessing) would be peanuts to what we would gain in income. We just sold our highest earner (who was apparently already on c£100k) anyway FFS.

The reality is, if we wanted him enough we should have and would have got him.

well to sign someone quickly could be, before anyone else takes him, or sign someone quickly in desperation.

A bit of both it seems to me, the club also normally try and keep signings secret,but that seems to have gone now as well.

Its been on Sky sports and the telegraph to name two outlets, so no secret at all sorry

This is the key line:

If that's a club-fed line then it signals to me that they'll wield the axe after the Spurs game, assuming that ends in a heavy defeat...

DONE DEAL - 3 and a half year contract

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/11211390/theo-walcott-joins-everton-from-arsenal-on-three-and-a-half-year-deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42715223

I'd be intrigued to know if we were ever actually in for Theo. £20 million is peanuts in the current market. A massive opportunity missed here IMO.

Edited by Saint Scott
Deal confirmed

If that's a club-fed line then it signals to me that they'll wield the axe after the Spurs game, assuming that ends in a heavy defeat...

If that is truly the case then why sign Carrillo? Just wait until the inevitable happens and let the new manager pick (surely having £70m to spend would be one of the biggest attractions to the club at the moment).

If that is truly the case then why sign Carrillo? Just wait until the inevitable happens and let the new manager pick (surely having £70m to spend would be one of the biggest attractions to the club at the moment).

Fair point. Maybe they'll hang fire on rubber stamping the Carrillo deal until just after the Spurs game. Who knows (certainly not me!)

Should have been concerned since about October time considering some of our awful performances.

[MLG mode]At the end of October we were top half of the table and 3 points behind 6th place Liverpool... :) [/MLG mode]

(I know, I know.... stats blah blah stats...)

Should have been concerned since about October time considering some of our awful performances.

[MLG mode]At the end of October we were top half of the table and 3 points behind 6th place Liverpool... :) [/MLG mode]

Is 'MLG mode' a thing? Should I apply for the trademark?

We also had some incredibly easy fixtures and had some terrible performances (which is why I mentioned the bit about performances.)

You seem to be completely ignoring the fact that Walcott appeared to be our main / top target for this window - someone at the club clearly rates him - £100k a week or not (FWIW that's not that much any more) it's very concerning that our competitors are more attractive than us on a 'top target'. Especially when it at one point it was pretty much in the bag.

If he kept us in the league, that extra £20k a week (guessing) would be peanuts to what we would gain in income. We just sold our highest earner (who was apparently already on c£100k) anyway FFS.

The reality is, if we wanted him enough we should have and would have got him.

It's recorded both on here from a fairly well established poster, and also in the Telegraph piece that Theo turned us down due to our league position. It's also been alleged that a different player who was close to joining was advised by his agent to think again because of our league position. Both bits of information may or may not be 100% true, but it's not just as simple as saying "the club should just go and get X player" as the player just might decide against us.

If we had gained about 6 more points this season by holding onto our leads against Hudds, Arsenal and Watford we would probably be in mid table comfort and now have Theo in a Saints shirt.

A case of either more PR lies or ineptitude from the board. One or the other.

What exactly are you claiming is the PR lie? Everton beating us to a player doesn't automatically equal ineptitude by the board.

We don't know all the facts of went on with Walcott so it isn't a good idea to jump to conclusions and start throwing accusations around without good evidence to support them.

Or simply, as I've already stated, the player not wanting to move to a team mired in a relegation battle and not looking like getting out of it.

The ineptitude is in appointing a useless manager and not having the minerals to sack him. Now it's too late, the damage is done and we're sailing off into the Championship.

If Sanchez goes to Man Utd, will it be pr lies or ineptitude from Man C?

Jesus, who do people think we are Real Madrid? We’re so attractive that nobody could ever prefer another club, unless it’s “ineptitude “ from our board. Are other clubs supporters like this, god surely not.

Some people don’t seem to understand that players, for various reasons , choose one club over another. In any transfer there’s probably at least 2 or 3 clubs interested in the player, who can then only sign for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Sanchez goes to Man Utd, will it be pr lies or ineptitude from Man C?

Jesus, who do people think we are Real Madrid? We’re so attractive that nobody could ever prefer another club, unless it’s “ineptitude “ from our board. Are other clubs supporters like this, god surely not.

Some people don’t seem to understand that players, for various reasons , choose one club over another. In any transfer there’s probably at least 2 or 3 clubs interested in the player, who can then only sign for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ineptitude is what got us into this position in the first place. The telegraph article essentially admits that being in danger of relegation meant that theo went elsewhere. That's primarily the fault of the club.

Or simply, as I've already stated, the player not wanting to move to a team mired in a relegation battle and not looking like getting out of it.

The ineptitude is in appointing a useless manager and not having the minerals to sack him. Now it's too late, the damage is done and we're sailing off into the Championship.

I agree. The club have left it too late, but I still hope it is not too late to turn it around.

It's recorded both on here from a fairly well established poster, and also in the Telegraph piece that Theo turned us down due to our league position. It's also been alleged that a different player who was close to joining was advised by his agent to think again because of our league position. Both bits of information may or may not be 100% true, but it's not just as simple as saying "the club should just go and get X player" as the player just might decide against us.

If we had gained about 6 more points this season by holding onto our leads against Hudds, Arsenal and Watford we would probably be in mid table comfort and now have Theo in a Saints shirt.

Didn't it also mention that we didn't match the wages?

If we offer less then he wasn't ever coming..

Only If we offer the same as Everton he wasnt coming due to the position.

However I don't believe we were ever seriously making an effort to sign him. It just does not match the way we operate.

As usual we will have what we value people at, we will offer that, if they get a better offer they go elsewhere..if they get to the end of the window without a Better offer, they will consider ours.

It's the way it's been for the last couple of years... Not saying it's good or bad..it's just how we operate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5278491/Theo-Walcott-joins-Everton-25m-deal-Arsenal.html

£25m - there are a few places saying that, and a few others saying over £20m. Although the DM article does start....Theo Walcott insists he has joined Everton to win silverware and reignite his career after completing his £20million move from Arsenal.