The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

Jesus that is mental.

I really hope the bubble bursts. A lot of insiders seem to think there is no way Sky will fork out what they did last time, and BT will be just happy to retain their existing packages. So unless Facebook and Amazon come in, the new TV rights deal will be worth less. Good news.

do you really think that clubs will settle for less?

United, Liverpool and Co will demand their own TV deals and that would be the complete death of it all

Silly money being paid but i doubt its exclusive to SFC, how long can it continue?
its ridiculous, and something that turns many off modern football. Some of these players on big money couldn't pass the ball 20yards 8 out of 10 times. A lot are fortunate to be picked up as kids and the late developers not making it into the acadamies

do you really think that clubs will settle for less?

United, Liverpool and Co will demand their own TV deals and that would be the complete death of it all

They can bugger off then and form their own super league.

Unfortunately for them, that’s something that their own supporters in this country don’t want. I guess it depends if they prioritise their overseas fanbase or their homegrown one.

just for context

we pay Forster a similar basic Salary to that of Harry kane

Lovely stuff

Spurs are underpaying...

...that aside, I still don't understand why we offered FF a new deal last July. I was far from convinced when he got his 5 year deal in the summer of 2016, in fact I thought it was madness. But after a pretty **** season he then got an improved deal and another year to boot! Now tell me that wasn't ****ign madness. And now, after failing to improve (some would say getting worse - I think he's just been as bad as before) it certainly is looking like a terrible decision.

Not a chance anyone will take him off our hands. We'd have to pay a huge huge chuck of his wages. Just one expensive millstone round our neck, right there

Sometime last year there was an article in the Telegraph, a link to which was posted on here, which had a list of every Premier League club’s top earner and what they earnt.

It claimed Fraser Forster was ours and he was on £90k a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus that is mental.

I really hope the bubble bursts. A lot of insiders seem to think there is no way Sky will fork out what they did last time, and BT will be just happy to retain their existing packages. So unless Facebook and Amazon come in, the new TV rights deal will be worth less. Good news.

I thought streaming would burst the bubble but it doesn’t seem to have. Why get sky when you can get a Kodi and watch any game you want live?

Spurs are underpaying...

...that aside, I still don't understand why we offered FF a new deal last July. I was far from convinced when he got his 5 year deal in the summer of 2016, in fact I thought it was madness. But after a pretty **** season he then got an improved deal and another year to boot! Now tell me that wasn't ****ign madness. And now, after failing to improve (some would say getting worse - I think he's just been as bad as before) it certainly is looking like a terrible decision.

Not a chance anyone will take him off our hands. We'd have to pay a huge huge chuck of his wages. Just one expensive millstone round our neck, right there

I would *love* for someone to put that question to Les Reed, i.e. why was Forster given a 5 year contract a year after signing a 5 year contract? Save it for the fans forum (i.e. when we're next challenging for Europe)

According to this survey https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjvx_j10-TYAhXFK8AKHfFaAWAQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fglobalsportssalaries.com%2FGSSS%25202017.pdf&usg=AOvVaw36kJxwgbXV3n7n-GIwpydT

We spend avg weekly pay of £43k making us the 110th highest weekly spenders in all sports. And 10th in the PL. Spending basically the wages of Burnley and Huddersfield combined.

Reed really has ****ed up giving so many poor players big contracts. Shlong and Forsters ones being most notable after poor seasons.

Jesus that is mental.

Sadly they will. I work for one of these companies, and the competitive/market view (yes they spend millions on this and fan social media) is that whilst the traditional broadcasters will not want to/cannot pay more, the new media platform providers (Google, Amazon, FB, others) will. More worryingly, they are not looking to make a profit from it, rather drive more eyeballs/traffic to their site. As an example, Amazon spent billions a year for around 10 years to setup their Amazon Web Service (AWS) cloud service at a huge loss, just to 1) get people on to their site and 2) build a platform that no new entrant could complete with. Now they are the leading Public Cloud platform worldwide and making frankly indecent amounts of profit. Add to this a bun fight between these "new media" companies, and the only way is up sadly!

As an aside - if you think these wages are ridiculous, Messi is on €1M a week after tax!!! Is he 10 times better than Kane (at 100K per week) - yea I know different currencies and all that, but Kane is not after tax, so orders of magnitude are about right. INSANE

I spoke to a very well informed member of SFC staff last night (you hear him quite a lot) and told me that terms were agreed with Theo and it was Theo himself who changed minds at the 11th hour because he was skeptical of our league position (rightly so) and didn't want to potentially drop down to the Championship in a world cup year. He also told me that contingency plans are in place for if/when/maybe we do go down that 90+ SFC staff will be made redundant. Plus, the biggest part potentially is that no person from the SFC staff have met Mr Gao

I spoke to a very well informed member of SFC staff last night (you hear him quite a lot) and told me that terms were agreed with Theo and it was Theo himself who changed minds at the 11th hour because he was skeptical of our league position (rightly so) and didn't want to potentially drop down to the Championship in a world cup year. He also told me that contingency plans are in place for if/when/maybe we do go down that 90+ SFC staff will be made redundant. Plus, the biggest part potentially is that no person from the SFC staff have met Mr Gao

You can bet it won't be any of the ones responsible for the relegation though..

That is clearly BS - he was here for 3 weeks and is pictured next to Kate, Mr. Spin and Potato Head - are they not SFC staff? Also, are you really telling me he came to the ground and watched the whole game and refused to speak to anyone?? Maybe it's just that he doesn't speak english and so communicated via interrupters - I guess that is technically not speaking to SFC staff directly - so forgive me I humbly apologise, you are right!