The "Return of Theo Walcott" thread

Bad Wolf

I just can't believe there's not someone younger, less injury prone, and better vfm than Walcott out there.

Would be nice if we picked up some younger English talent bound to be someone in the champ doing well that’s worth a punt on!

Would be nice if we picked up some younger English talent bound to be someone in the champ doing well that’s worth a punt on!

And if we did that you'd have plenty on here accusing the club of taking the cheap option etc! Whatever they do they can't win.

Walcott is a proven quality player with connections to the club and would give the whole place a lift, really hope it happens.

I just can't believe there's not someone younger, less injury prone, and better vfm than Walcott out there.

Theo is a proven premier league striker, knows the club and has a point to prove if he wants to go to the world cup. I think there are certainly more pros than cons on this one.

Walcott starts for Arsenal in FA Cup, so if he comes he will be cup-tied, if its a done deal its a typical Saints bodge! Obviously PL is the priority but this would be pretty poor negotiating by us or a sign he is going nowhere in this window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theo or his agent clearly don't understand this 'looking to move away' , seeking a return to 'his spiirtual home' malarky. Should have realised a sulk, and possibly a refusal to play today is what was called for.

Yes, but unfortunately Les trying to achieve this is one reason why we end up with Redmond instead.

Can't help feeling this would be a massive risk for us. He's essentially a better version or Redmond - which ain't saying much. The massive transfer fee and likely 100k wages (he's currently on 140k) he would want, coupled with his sparse scoring and frequent injuries

mean this could be a waste of money.

Can't help feeling this would be a massive risk for us. He's essentially a better version or Redmond - which ain't saying much. The massive transfer fee and likely 100k wages (he's currently on 140k) he would want, coupled with his sparse scoring and frequent injuries

mean this could be a waste of money.

Agreed. He is the one person, other than Wenger, that the majority of Arsenal fans have wanted rid off for several years. Or, another view from another forum:

"Walcott must have spent a decade there now, and the sum of his achievements is the beard he is currently sporting. He is exactly the same footballer with exactly the same flaws as he was at 17 years old.

Arsenal have done absolutely nothing for him, barring paying him millions of pounds. That is just poor all round from management."

If we aren't going to pass the ball behind the defenders and give him the chance to run them we are wasting our time just as Wenger wasted his time buying him and trying to turn him into an Arsenal ball recycler. A waste of a massive talent, should have gone to Ferguson at MU who would have used his pace on the break to destroy defences.

Strange situation with Walcott. He doesnt want to leave Arsenal - its his club no matter how long he was at Saints as a kid. Wenger doesn't actually want him to go, but he simply cant offer Theo the first team games he desires. So you've got a player that isn't pushing for a move like VVD did. I don't think he'll take much of a wage drop and I don't think Wenger will allow him to leave on the cheap. So if we want him we are going to have to make a huge investment. If that is the case then will we get the right return on that outlay?

I'm slightly torn here. I've never been overly impressed with his all round game. His crossing and decision making have never been as bad as the media made out, but has any player had as many blocked crosses as Theo - Jesus Navas perhaps? With Theo it's all fast straight, lines and you need to thread balls through to him. He's much better without the ball than with it. And that's perhaps the reason to sign him above all else, we would be signing someone that makes runs off the ball that stretches opponents and helps unlock teams. One concern would be that I don't know if we have that quality of pass in the final third. Tadic can spot a run, although Gabbiadini might not concur, so maybe all the terrific movement Theo offers wont be wasted.

I am being too harsh. He has also scored goals, more than I thought in fact - 1 in 2 last season (which is outstanding), and some were very good finishes indeed, but he relies a lot on supply, and we don't offer a lot of that. Without that supply will he be effective and can we get the best out of his attributes?

Strange situation with Walcott. He doesnt want to leave Arsenal - its his club no matter how long he was at Saints as a kid. Wenger doesn't actually want him to go, but he simply cant offer Theo the first team games he desires. So you've got a player that isn't pushing for a move like VVD did. I don't think he'll take much of a wage drop and I don't think Wenger will allow him to leave on the cheap. So if we want him we are going to have to make a huge investment. If that is the case then will we get the right return on that outlay?

I'm slightly torn here. I've never been overly impressed with his all round game. His crossing and decision making have never been as bad as the media made out, but has any player had as many blocked crosses as Theo - Jesus Navas perhaps? With Theo it's all fast straight, lines and you need to thread balls through to him. He's much better without the ball than with it. And that's perhaps the reason to sign him above all else, we would be signing someone that makes runs off the ball that stretches opponents and helps unlock teams. One concern would be that I don't know if we have that quality of pass in the final third. Tadic can spot a run, although Gabbiadini might not concur, so maybe all the terrific movement Theo offers wont be wasted.

I am being too harsh. He has also scored goals, more than I thought in fact - 1 in 2 last season (which is outstanding), and some were very good finishes indeed, but he relies a lot on supply, and we don't offer a lot of that. Without that supply will he be effective and can we get the best out of his attributes?

Also, if he’s the one outlay there will be way too much pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He is the one person, other than Wenger, that the majority of Arsenal fans have wanted rid off for several years. Or, another view from another forum:

"Walcott must have spent a decade there now, and the sum of his achievements is the beard he is currently sporting. He is exactly the same footballer with exactly the same flaws as he was at 17 years old.

When I think of Walcott’s Arsenal career I’m always reminded of Shane Warnes analyst of Monty Panesar that “rather than having played 33 Tests, had merely played one, 33 times”. I’m not saying he’s not good enough for us, and god we certainly need a boost, but his game really hasn’t developed at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our fans are absolute ****ing melts. :lol:

Played **** today, don't want him. :lol:

Bednarek was scared to head the ball. 100% Ariel duels won. :lol:

So ****ing knee jerk it's amazing.

Sign Wallcot up!!

He only attempted to head the ball 3 times and pussied out against someone 4 inches smaller than him immediately after Stephens missed from a yard out...

Part of me is excited by prospect of fully fit Theo running at defences. However his injury track record alongside that of Austin leaves me concerned re shelling out a third of the VVD money on him. Would be a great loan signing but I sense Arsenal won’t play ball. Either way we need to bring in two strikers in January whether permanent or loan

Basically agree with all this. My only rider is that our situation is now so dire that I'd gamble. We are on a clear trajectory to relegation, so I would now start throwing mud at a wall and just hope something sticks.

Last season Walcott scored:

10 in 23 PL starts

4 in 3 Champions League starts

This season he hasn't started a single league game but has 3 goals in 5 Europa League starts.

For a wide player his goal record is excellent.

10 in 23 PL starts

This season he hasn't started a single league game but has 3 goals in 5 Europa League starts.

Yeah, no doubt those are impressive.

If we do sign him, we are going to have to change the way we play, or else he will just pick the ball up on the half way line and have 1 striker in front of him with no other support.

10 in 23 PL starts

I am confident that MoPe can coach this out of him.

He only attempted to head the ball 3 times and pussied out against someone 4 inches smaller than him immediately after Stephens missed from a yard out...

Think I remember that. If he attacked the ball and won the header, chances are it probably would have just gone out for a throw or a goal kick. I reckon he was trying to outmuscle the Fulham player on the ground to keep control of the ball and the attack going. The problem was he then didn't win the battle on the ground either and had to make a tackle which put it out for a throw anyway...