Being a Saints fan right now is ****e

Pilchards

We have a muppet in charge who is way out of his depth.

Got a board that lacks ambition.

Our best players all **** off to Liverhampton.

Got an owner who’s borrowed money to buy us.

VVD who has been a complete **** for us has just scored.

We are linked in the transfers market with wannabe’s or never willbe’s.

The atmosphere on match day is embarrassing.

We will be out of the cup tomorrow as the team are ****ing rubbish.

Seriously how the **** have we fallen so far in a couple of years?

At the moment I have to admit I feel I’m slightly “going through the motions” as a fan. I travel from London to home games to spend time with my family and I travel to away games for a few beers with my mates. The games and the general malaise and inaction from the club are an immense source of frustration but the games themselves are largely pretty lifeless for me - we play sh*t, don’t score and usually lose.

If I didn’t have the family connection I’m not sure I’d renew my ST on enjoyment value but it’s an institution for me and the old man so I’ll be there whatever happens.

It has been a lot worse. The whole point of supporting a team is being there in good times and bad. It is obviously harder to support a team when things aren’t going well, but that is when they need support the most. If you can’t do that perhaps you will be better off supporting Citeh.

I don't think it's going to get much better for the rest of the year...never mind we have the World Cup to look forward to ( England might actually win it! Lol)

Next season will be interesting... Not that many teams bounce straight back and those that do can score goals. I reckon we might be fighting in the bottom half next season too!

Couldn't give a damm about our premiership status. Premier league bores me to tears, hopefully we go down and can field some exciting youth players and clear out all the deadwood......

Don’t talk rubbish. Going down would be terrible for the club.

It has been a lot worse. The whole point of supporting a team is being there in good times and bad. It is obviously harder to support a team when things aren’t going well, but that is when they need support the most. If you can’t do that perhaps you will be better off supporting Citeh.

I think that's unfair , the OP is posting how most people feel... He isn't saying that he hates he club, that he only wants success etc etc he is just saying it feels pretty ****e and I agree with him it isn't much fun.

Just because we are supporters it doesn't mean we can't feel bad does it?

Exactly.

We've suffered deterioration after relegation from the Premier last time, and subsequently many years on the up. As football is cyclical we are now on a downward stretch again.

Hopefully we won't drop as far as the bottom of League One on -10 ever again, but with no say in it all as supporters we'll still be there, where ever it is, because it is our club and still will be after MP, LR, RK, and all the half hearted prima donnas we watch weekly have long gone.

Bunsen and buster at the helm.

TBH I am not that bother about premier league anymore either.. If we do well we get stripped of players anyway so there's not much future for us there.

Being a middling championship club wouldn't be so bad...we might actually get a team of players that stick with us for a while, the football isn't going to be much worse than we have seen the last two seasons, different grounds to visit again, we wouldn't have to put up with the Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool fans who spend hundreds of millions then go mental like they have won a cup when they win against us despite the fact we are in a totally different league financially to them...

I don't enjoy this buy potential, sell them to Liverpool at a profit model at all.

As was said above its about supporting the team, not about success or the league we are n, and I think, actually, I might enjoy us beng a consistent mid table championship club more.

Yep. Could spell the end of top flight football for decades. We won't have a billionaire bail us out again.

I hate what Premiership football has become so I understand why some people are saying that going down wouldn't be all that bad. Our return to the Premiership was nice while it lasted but let's be honest, it's no fun seeing your best players sold every season, whilst the board churn out lies about turning us into a force in European football. Katrina has been asset stripping the club for the last 2-3 years. All the money from the sale of players that hasn't been re-invested and now a huge sum from the Gao family. She's done very nicely out of it. It just shows that she doesn't really give a **** about the club.

For me, the final nail in the coffin was when I heard about being bought by a Chinese investor. The likes of Sky & Chinese investors are ruining the game. Give me 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday afternoon and games that whole families can afford to attend. Surely that's better than this ****e that's played by greedy posers with no loyalty, sleeves of tattoo's, Bentley's and all the skill of Iain Dowie. Wake up people - The game is ****ed.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

I think that's unfair , the OP is posting how most people feel... He isn't saying that he hates he club, that he only wants success etc etc he is just saying it feels pretty ****e and I agree with him it isn't much fun.

Just because we are supporters it doesn't mean we can't feel bad does it?

Spot on, Saints are like a drug for me and you can never stop supporting them.

Agree with all that and I'd add that the club appears to be run more as an investment business than it is as a football club. I haven't seen any praise for Reed in overseeing the good bit of business Van Dijk was for the club. However, using some of the £75 million on 2 or 3 good signings should change things.....if the current manager can get the best out of them, integrate them into the team. A BIG if!!!

Would be terrible for the club, maybe not so for some supporters who aren't so keen on what the PL has become.

I hate the PL and what it has become. It’s a division for the rich and you need money to run and watch it these days, however as a supporter I want to see us in the best division possible... if we went down, we wouldn’t be back for a long long time, IMO

Have ambition and buy a player that I might think ‘****ing hell yeah...’

Liverpool spent 75m and already he has paid off 5m of the fee by putting them in the next round.

Just think if we got a couple of great players in on how they could recoup the club 120m extra on sky money alone?

Dream on eh?

Because it's never been about Football. It's all been about money and somebody making as much as they can in a short space of time. The asset stripping has been going on for a while now. Just a shame that people couldn't see it coming earlier.

Have ambition and buy a player that I might think ‘****ing hell yeah...’

Liverpool spent 75m and already he has paid off 5m of the fee by putting them in the next round.

Just think if we got a couple of great players in on how they could recoup the club 120m extra on sky money alone?

Dream on eh?

Just goes to show, manage a player well and he will deliver. The problem we have is that we've lacked a decent man manager for a couple of seasons. Yes, VVD has behaved like a ***** and could have handled his departure better, but he saw what was on offer and it was obviously far more attractive than amateur hour in Southampton. My guess is that the players morale is at an all time low because they can see that the club is being run by *****s, from top to bottom.

I spoke to Niall Quinn yesterday. He spent time with Cortese when he was at Saints as he was working on a piece for Sky. He said the way NC ran things was incredible. All the players were educated at the club. If they underperformed academically, they didn't play for the U-18's. It encouraged players to work hard and made them mature quickly. The reason why we did so well financially when selling young players like Shaw and Chambers was because they were seen as mature, well educated individuals by the bigger clubs. It meant that they didn't have to invest as much time and money because they were getting quality individuals, instead of rough & ready teenagers who needed to be educated and disciplined. Clubs wanted young players from Southampton because they felt like they were getting the finished article, even though they were only kids. He was saying all that a lot of what Cortese did has gone now. Some aspects are still there but we're not doing anything better than other Academy's in the country, whereas we used to be one of the top clubs in Europe for young player development.

What a load of horsesh it. You're supposed to be an adult.

Dislikable: Tadic, Redmond, Forster (because he's so bad, and so well paid), Austin.

Likeable: Romeu, PEH, JWP (not because he's a good player), Yoshi, Targett, Bertrand (arguable).

Bertrand dislikable at the moment, he looks so bloody miserable.

Austin is one of the players I like the most.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel less connected to the players than before.

Was having this exact conversation the other day. It doesn’t help that most of us probably view them as mercenaries now who would move given a chance. I miss the days of having a talisman figure, someone like Lambert or Pelle, who could win us points out of nothing with their goals. Austin is the closest we have to that but you can’t be a talisman from the Physio’s bench.

Not just you. I think it'd the nature of the prem that we have lost so many players in such a short space of time. For me, finding out that Fonte was such a bellend was a bitter pill to swallow. I thought that even if he were to leave he would go in the right way and leave as a legend. The fact that even he left how he did was incredibly disappointing. Only Lambert is the true legend to emerge from that time and since then I really haven't been that fussed about the players as they appear to all be the same spoilt rich kids only out for themselves

Not just you. I think it'd the nature of the prem that we have lost so many players in such a short space of time. For me, finding out that Fonte was such a bellend was a bitter pill to swallow. I thought that even if he were to leave he would go in the right way and leave as a legend. The fact that even he left how he did was incredibly disappointing. Only Lambert is the true legend to emerge from that time and since then I really haven't been that fussed about the players as they appear to all be the same spoilt rich kids only out for themselves

To be fair to Fonte he wasn't a bellend most of the time, in fact he was a really nice down to earth guy and genuinely cared about the club. The problem he had was someone (his agent) told him he could get a move that wasn't going to happen so he acted like the big i am, disrupted the squad, walked into board meetings and generally ruined his name.

In many ways i actually feel sorry for Fonte, he was badly advised, and if he hadn't listened i'd hazard a guess he'd be on the bench where Kelvin is now.

To be fair to Fonte he wasn't a bellend most of the time, in fact he was a really nice down to earth guy and genuinely cared about the club. The problem he had was someone (his agent) told him he could get a move that wasn't going to happen so he acted like the big i am, disrupted the squad, walked into board meetings and generally ruined his name.

In many ways i actually feel sorry for Fonte, he was badly advised, and if he hadn't listened i'd hazard a guess he'd be on the bench where Kelvin is now.

Well there you go then he did act like a complete bellend. If what you say is true then at the very least he should have apologised.

People who talk about going down being better for the fans and team have really forgotten the reality of it from last time. They forget us going down with a bloated squad of mediocre players, then only being able to attract mediocre players and journeymen from other clubs, the few remaining decent players wanting out straight away, the under-performing stars continuing to under-perform, all decent prospects moving on, most of what we thought were decent prospects proving to not be up to it. Money getting tighter and tighter. Football getting worse and worse. We had a brief resurgence after spending money we couldn't afford, then it just got worse and worse until the takeover.

TBH I am not that bother about premier league anymore either.. If we do well we get stripped of players anyway so there's not much future for us there.

Being a middling championship club wouldn't be so bad...we might actually get a team of players that stick with us for a while, the football isn't going to be much worse than we have seen the last two seasons, different grounds to visit again, we wouldn't have to put up with the Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool fans who spend hundreds of millions then go mental like they have won a cup when they win against us despite the fact we are in a totally different league financially to them...

I don't enjoy this buy potential, sell them to Liverpool at a profit model at all.

As was said above its about supporting the team, not about success or the league we are n, and I think, actually, I might enjoy us beng a consistent mid table championship club more.

Not too sure I agree about KL although I expect she did invest in order to accumulate and only held on to her part of the pie because she couldn't get quite what she wanted as our new majority owner is too skint to be so laissez-faire with his own cash but as for the rest of it, yes, I like the certainty of a Saturday 3pm kick off and so on and we (at least used to) do quite well at that kick off time. If the city council were smart they'd tell Gao that unless SFC was in the top 5 of the PL every season for at least 5 seasons and then 4 seasons out of every 5 thereafter he has jack schitt chance of getting any planning permission. That might galvanise him.

FFS the sad sacks who lament VVD scoring like it personally upsets them. Honestly I worry how you cope generally and that you can’t see some of this stuff for the pantomime it is.

True. As soon as he left I forgot about him. We have bigger things (for ourselves) to worry about. Let's worry about them.

Which might have been a very good thing. He always came across as a 'leader' and we could do with one of them. The closest we probably have now is poor old PEH.

Exactly. Annoys me like hell when people say they don't care about the PL and that going down would somehow be fun. We know from past experience when you are on the slide it is very difficult to stop it. I am sure Forest, Ipswich, Wigan, Bradford etc fans will tell you how awesome it is. As a Saints fan I want the club to be doing well against the best teams in the country. Getting beat by Doncaster, Bristol City, Plymouth, Gillingham, Tranmere etc was so much fun. I hope we get more days like that....muppets.

Exactly. Annoys me like hell when people say they don't care about the PL and that going down would somehow be fun. We know from past experience when you are on the slide it is very difficult to stop it. I am sure Forest, Ipswich, Wigan, Bradford etc fans will tell you how awesome it is. As a Saints fan I want the club to be doing well against the best teams in the country. Getting beat by Doncaster, Bristol City, Plymouth, Gillingham, Tranmere etc was so much fun. I hope we get more days like that....muppets.

Lol I thought it was about supporting the club and team? Turns out it was all about the premier league!

It's a game of footy man..doesn't matter if you are getting beat by Doncaster or Manchester City, it feels the same.

I, for one, really couldn't care if I am watching my team in the premier league or league 2 that doesn't make me a muppet... *****

I know Forest and Derby fans (and Leicester, back in their L1 days) from living and working here for years.

Sure they go into every season hoping to go up but it's hardly like they're all suicidal, they support their team and get on with it. Still plenty of fans at the ground, hope, loyalty and passion. Funnily enough discussed DCFC with my barber only this morning, they're having a great season and good luck to em, they might go up, they might not. Next boxing day They'll still pack out Pride Park as a Championship team regardless of division. Life goes on.

At the end of the day we've finished 8th, 7th, 6th and 8th again and people have pi ssed and moaned throughout, we're having a rocky patch now and people still pi ssing and moaning (we're still above Forest and Ipswich and Bradford like you want us to be) so let's assume people pi ss and moan whatever. If you think life outside the PL can't "somehow be fun", I've seen plenty of evidence that people haven't found any fun in this division either, just self entitled misery about what we haven't done, and zero joy in what we have done.

I've not forgotten the Championship, happy to conclude it won't be any less fun than bobbing about mid table Prem. I don't want us to drop but if we do it's hardly the end of the world.

I dream of the day the big 6 will leave and start some sort of euroleague. Then we could have a new top division with a salary cap to actually make it a competition. If the Americans (NFL) can figure this out, why can't we?

It works in American sports because there is no other league they can go to.

I would love to see the Big 6 form their own Super League.

Was having this exact conversation the other day. It doesn’t help that most of us probably view them as mercenaries now who would move given a chance. I miss the days of having a talisman figure, someone like Lambert or Pelle, who could win us points out of nothing with their goals. Austin is the closest we have to that but you can’t be a talisman from the Physio’s bench.

What about Romeu? After being a second string player at Barca and Chelsea we sign him for £5 million in 2015. He took his chance when it came and now is a player I love to see on the team sheet.

It works in American sports because there is no other league they can go to.

I would love to see the Big 6 form their own Super League.

That might be good as, if you remove the top 6 or 7, there are loads of clubs with similar income in the top two divisions. Remove the sky money and you could almost see a league where there is no dominance by a single team.

I would hope they would do something to stop billionaires coming in, taking over a club and turning it into another Chelsea to win the league over and over. However Maybe they would all be focused on the super league.

What about Romeu? After being a second string player at Barca and Chelsea we sign him for £5 million in 2015. He took his chance when it came and now is a player I love to see on the team sheet.

Sorry I should have refined to talismanic striker. Romeu is great, although has been very poor this season, but even if he puts in a cracking performance we won’t win if nobody scores. I remember times gone by when we played trash but Lambo or Pelle would score and we’d get something.