Being a Saints fan right now is ****e

Pilchards

Have you ever spoken to Austin? He s a big time Charlie and full of it.

Couldn't care less tbh, he's one of the few who actually looks like he gives a toss and has a bit of character about him. Give me that over a constantly miserable looking, half arsed prima donna any day.

Couldn't give a damm about our premiership status. Premier league bores me to tears, hopefully we go down and can field some exciting youth players and clear out all the deadwood......

If watching the youth players is that exciting, why not just watch the U23's every game? They're playing crap too, so should be a home from home !!

We played the sell everyone and play the youth team when we went down last time. We got relegated, works a treat!

It’s times like these that just show how bad our support is tbh.

A few years of good finishes in the Premier League made a lot of people entitled, complacent and forgetful of our true stature. Cue the odd initial dip in results and the atmosphere quickly became toxic, which has clearly contributed to our demise.

People talk about the players not having the mental capacity for a relegation fight, but to be honest I really don’t see the fans having the capacity for it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fan base has certainly lost its cojones. This is the first time we have flirted with relegation since ML took over and the place is in meltdown.

At The Dell we escaped relegation year in year out in the MLT years , primarily due to MLT himself. Now we seem to have a sense of entitlement.

The fan base has certainly lost its cojones. This is the first time we have flirted with relegation since ML took over and the place is in meltdown.

At The Dell we escaped relegation year in year out in the MLT years , primarily due to MLT himself. Now we seem to have a sense of entitlement.

I think the issue is we dont need to be down there. Burnley Arsenal Huddersfield and Palace were games the managers incompetence lost us points

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I hate what Premiership football has become so I understand why some people are saying that going down wouldn't be all that bad. Our return to the Premiership was nice while it lasted but let's be honest, it's no fun seeing your best players sold every season, whilst the board churn out lies about turning us into a force in European football. Katrina has been asset stripping the club for the last 2-3 years. All the money from the sale of players that hasn't been re-invested and now a huge sum from the Gao family. She's done very nicely out of it. It just shows that she doesn't really give a **** about the club.

For me, the final nail in the coffin was when I heard about being bought by a Chinese investor. The likes of Sky & Chinese investors are ruining the game. Give me 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday afternoon and games that whole families can afford to attend. Surely that's better than this ****e that's played by greedy posers with no loyalty, sleeves of tattoo's, Bentley's and all the skill of Iain Dowie. Wake up people - The game is ****ed.

At last, another person who view the premiership like me.

During the Dell years we could accept that our squad was extremely limited and that relegation was pretty much inevitable. If it wasn't for the continued genius of one man, that would have come to pass.

This year is completely and utterly avoidable with a man in charge who has the slightest clue what they're doing.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

Edited by LGTL

How do I feel this morning as a fan? Another day of inactivity at SFC, no news, no sackings, no spending, no new players yet the same old company line bull**** from the Pitchside Clown ....

It is any wonder we are all cynical about what's going on at SMS?

Whether they like it or not we are stakeholders in this football club and without us they will die. Ignore us at your peril SFC.

During the Dell years we could accept that our squad was extremely limited and that relegation was pretty much inevitable. If it wasn't for the continued genius of one man, that would have come to pass.

This year is completely and utterly avoidable with a man in charge who has the slightest clue what they're doing.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

The point is that the fan meltdown started at the end of last season when Puel was deemed not good enough. Our fan base couldn’t cope with 46points without publicly turning on the manager because we apparently expect to get better year on year.

The point is that the fan meltdown started at the end of last season when Puel was deemed not good enough. Our fan base couldn’t cope with 46points without publicly turning on the manager because we apparently expect to get better year on year.

But his results from 1st of jan 2017 to the end of the season were pretty bad too. 2 home wins, 7 home goals. 8 defeats, 23 points. In the same period (19 games) , MP has 3 home wins 13 home goals, 9 defeats and 19 points. The last half season of Puels reign was just as bad as the first half from MP. They were both awful. If Puel started this season with the same results as the end to the last I am pretty sure people wouldn't be as happy as they try and make out.

We have a muppet in charge who is way out of his depth.

Got a board that lacks ambition.

Our best players all **** off to Liverhampton.

Got an owner who’s borrowed money to buy us.

VVD who has been a complete **** for us has just scored.

We are linked in the transfers market with wannabe’s or never willbe’s.

The atmosphere on match day is embarrassing.

We will be out of the cup tomorrow as the team are ****ing rubbish.

Seriously how the **** have we fallen so far in a couple of years?

Couple it with being a cricket fan living in Aus...its a fun fun time!

But his results from 1st of jan 2017 to the end of the season were pretty bad too. 2 home wins, 7 home goals. 8 defeats, 23 points. In the same period (19 games) , MP has 3 home wins 13 home goals, 9 defeats and 19 points. The last half season of Puels reign was just as bad as the first half from MP. They were both awful. If Puel started this season with the same results as the end to the last I am pretty sure people wouldn't be as happy as they try and make out.

The big difference between Puel and Pellegrino is Puel inherited a club high in confidence (just finished 6th and in Europe) players were happy and confident.

Contrast that to the team Pellegrino inherited from Puel.

The hangover from last season is strong.

I think thats the only reason Pellegrino is still here, as R&R saw the cluster **** that Puel left behind

Last season fizzled out after the cup defeat. We were comfortably safe and had little to play for. Its very common for sides in our position to finish the season on an anticlimax.

Guess you haven't been following football long pal.

The big difference between Puel and Pellegrino is Puel inherited a club high in confidence (just finished 6th and in Europe) players were happy and confident.

Contrast that to the team Pellegrino inherited from Puel.

The hangover from last season is strong.

I think thats the only reason Pellegrino is still here, as R&R saw the cluster **** that Puel left behind

3/10

You mean the team that lost three of its best players: Mané, Wanyama and Pelle?

The PPSD (post puel stress disorder) schtick still hasn't taken off after all these months. I always had you down as a master of knowing when to cut your losses and move onto the next hole.

3/10

You mean the team that lost three of its best players: Mané, Wanyama and Pelle?

The PPSD (post puel stress disorder) schtick still hasn't taken off after all these months. I always had you down as a master of knowing when to cut your losses and move onto the next hole.

There's plenty of life left in that routine.

Personal favourite Glasgow theory right now is the "momentum curve" because it is absolute solid gold.

Recently started working with a Burnley fan and let me tell you he is over the moon once I'd explained the Heisenberg principle to him. Burnley now locked into top eight finishes well into 2020 regardless of managerial/player changes because, like, momentum. Made up he was. Completely made up.

There's plenty of life left in that routine.

Personal favourite Glasgow theory right now is the "momentum curve" because it is absolute solid gold.

Recently started working with a Burnley fan and let me tell you he is over the moon once I'd explained the Heisenberg principle to him. Burnley now locked into top eight finishes well into 2020 regardless of managerial/player changes because, like, momentum. Made up he was. Completely made up.

What next - the perpetual motion machine and loopholes in the laws of physics?

Burnleys "momentum" curve would look more like a roller-coaster. Or the start of a website address WWW

Not quite the clean upward trajectory that Leslie inherited

Championship winners, then 16th Prem, now looking like 8th - how upward do you want to go?

You're not wobbling on your theory are you, because it is, like so brilliantly repeatable across lots of clubs, right?

I know Forest and Derby fans (and Leicester, back in their L1 days) from living and working here for years.

Sure they go into every season hoping to go up but it's hardly like they're all suicidal, they support their team and get on with it. Still plenty of fans at the ground, hope, loyalty and passion. Funnily enough discussed DCFC with my barber only this morning, they're having a great season and good luck to em, they might go up, they might not. Next boxing day They'll still pack out Pride Park as a Championship team regardless of division. Life goes on.

At the end of the day we've finished 8th, 7th, 6th and 8th again and people have pi ssed and moaned throughout, we're having a rocky patch now and people still pi ssing and moaning (we're still above Forest and Ipswich and Bradford like you want us to be) so let's assume people pi ss and moan whatever. If you think life outside the PL can't "somehow be fun", I've seen plenty of evidence that people haven't found any fun in this division either, just self entitled misery about what we haven't done, and zero joy in what we have done.

I've not forgotten the Championship, happy to conclude it won't be any less fun than bobbing about mid table Prem. I don't want us to drop but if we do it's hardly the end of the world.

Good post. I'm under no illusions that relegation will be tough. Hard to stomach given we shouldn't be in this position (back in the 90s you accepted pretty much every year you were in a battle to survive, what with Tommy Widdrington and Neil Heaney in your starting XI), and potentially disastrous for the team/club. Not to mention it'll be harder to watch the games...

But I also cannot stand the Premier League as an organisation, nor the constant media love in for the top 6, particularly United, City & Liverpool (or should that be United, Guardiola & Klopp?). There's nothing to say that we will fair better in the division below, but at least it feels like everyone is in with a chance, and the teams/supporters are all part of a competition rather than a circus.

Good post. I'm under no illusions that relegation will be tough. Hard to stomach given we shouldn't be in this position (back in the 90s you accepted pretty much every year you were in a battle to survive, what with Tommy Widdrington and Neil Heaney in your starting XI), and potentially disastrous for the team/club. Not to mention it'll be harder to watch the games...

But I also cannot stand the Premier League as an organisation, nor the constant media love in for the top 6, particularly United, City & Liverpool (or should that be United, Guardiola & Klopp?). There's nothing to say that we will fair better in the division below, but at least it feels like everyone is in with a chance, and the teams/supporters are all part of a competition rather than a circus.

That's the thing about the championship ( and league 1-2) at the start of the season you can't really call it every season it's some different team that wins the PL top 6 are pretty much nailed on almost every season.

Edited by doddisalegend

To be fair the club is a different animal today compared to the MLT days.

Having ****-head chairman spouting bull**** pipe-dreams about Champions League etc hasn't helped though.

Last season fizzled out after the cup defeat. We were comfortably safe and had little to play for. Its very common for sides in our position to finish the season on an anticlimax.

Guess you haven't been following football long pal.

Oh really?

So it fizzled out after the cup game? (26th of feb)

14th dec - stoke 0- saints 0

18th dec - Bompey 1- saints 3

28th dec - Saints 1 - spurs 4

31st dec - saints 1 - west brom 2

2nd jan - Everton 3 - saints 0

7th jan - Norwich 0 - saints 0

14th jan - Burnley 1 - saints 0

18th jan - Saints 1 - Norwich 0

22nd jan - Saints 3 - Leicester 0

28th jan - Saints 0 - Arsenal 5

31st jan - Swansea 2 - Saints 1

4th feb - Saints 1 - West ham 3

11th feb - Sunderland 0 - Saints 4

So that's 13 games - 4 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats. If we take out cup games and just have PL matches that's 10 games, 3 wins, 1 draw and 6 defeats. Or 10 points from 30.

You are saying that we basically stopped playing from the end of November which was 4 months into the season because we knew we were safe?

Guess you don't have a clue pal.

Oh really?

So it fizzled out after the cup game? (26th of feb)

14th dec - stoke 0- saints 0

18th dec - Bompey 1- saints 3

28th dec - Saints 1 - spurs 4

31st dec - saints 1 - west brom 2

2nd jan - Everton 3 - saints 0

7th jan - Norwich 0 - saints 0

14th jan - Burnley 1 - saints 0

18th jan - Saints 1 - Norwich 0

22nd jan - Saints 3 - Leicester 0

28th jan - Saints 0 - Arsenal 5

31st jan - Swansea 2 - Saints 1

4th feb - Saints 1 - West ham 3

11th feb - Sunderland 0 - Saints 4

So that's 13 games - 4 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats. If we take out cup games and just have PL matches that's 10 games, 3 wins, 1 draw and 6 defeats. Or 10 points from 30.

You are saying that we basically stopped playing from the end of November which was 4 months into the season because we knew we were safe?

Guess you don't have a clue pal.

Not sure why you're including FA cup games, a competition we didn't prioritise (btw the first Norwich game was 2-2) and only looking at 10 -instead of 13 league games.

Note that December period was also crazy busy and involved plenty of chopping and changing to keep players fresh, so not exactly a good benchmark.

Much of the criticism of Puel over the finishing stretch was the lack of goals and entertainment, especially at home. There was a noticeable drop-off after the cup final, particularly after Gabbi got injured. Sometimes it's good to watch games with your eyes pal (for example, we played very well away at places like Swansea and Burnley included in your sample of December games, notwithstanding the results).

But crack on.

Edited by shurlock

The championship / L1 ect are only fun when you are winning every week, which if we go down I don't think we will.

When you go from outplaying Inter Milan (However sh!t they were) to struggling to beat Burton Albion (hypothetical of course) in 2 years, it's slightly demoralising.

Not sure why you're including FA cup games, a competition we didn't prioritise. Note that December period was also crazy busy and involved plenty of chopping and changing to keep players fresh, so not exactly a good benchmark.

Much of the criticism of Puel over the finishing stretch was the lack of goals and entertainment. There was a noticeable drop-off after the cup final, particularly after Gabbi got injured. Sometimes it's good to watch games with your eyes pal (for example, we played very well away at places like Swansea and Burnley included in your sample of December games, notwithstanding the results).

But crack on.

Maybe I haven't read everything here but you want to not include cup games, games around the xmas period (that every club had to play) and none after the cup final? Which is what about 70% of our season? That is quite selective isn't it?

So by that logic you are happy to write off most of our games and judge someone on a tiny period? No offence but isn't that quite unrealistic and just an excuse? As pointed out to you we had poor results all season. It seems a bit strange that you are happy to discard huge amounts of games due to a busy period or because a player was injured. Or saying our 2 wins in 13 at the end of the season didn't matter because we knew we were 'safe'.

Maybe I haven't read everything here but you want to not include cup games, games around the xmas period (that every club had to play) and none after the cup final? Which is what about 70% of our season? That is quite selective isn't it?

So by that logic you are happy to write off most of our games and judge someone on a tiny period? No offence but isn't that quite unrealistic and just an excuse? As pointed out to you we had poor results all season. It seems a bit strange that you are happy to discard huge amounts of games due to a busy period or because a player was injured. Or saying our 2 wins in 13 at the end of the season didn't matter because we knew we were 'safe'.

The point was about our league form, so it's probably better to compare like with like - league games with league games (but i am persuadable if it means so much to you). FWIW my point isn't that we simply fell off a cliff after the league cup - its also that once we knew we were safe, we tailed off.

Either way, the poster fails to explain why in including cup games, he included the FA cup games (a competition which we basically trashed - look at the lineups, not least because of the extra league cup games); but simultaneously failed to include the league cup games. Perhaps you can explain what the little fella was thinking or doing - it stands out as a screaming inconsistency. Is it the rule to include some cup games but not others now :lol:

Ultimately I was making a point about performances which are as much as what you see with your eye as they are with mechanically reproducing and regurgitating results without any real understanding or context. I maintain there was a dropoff towards the end of the season, especially at home.

Edited by shurlock

The point was about our league form, so it's probably better to compare like with like - league games with league games (but i am persuadable if it means so much to you). FWIW my point isn't that we simply dropped off after the league cup - its also that once we knew we were safe, we tailed off.

Either way, the poster fails to explain why in including cup games, he included the FA cup games (a competition which we basically trashed - look at the lineups, not least because of the extra league cup games); but simultaneously failed to include the league cup games. Perhaps you can explain what the little fella was thinking or doing - it stands out as a screaming inconsistency. Is it the rule to include some cup games but not others now :lol:

Ultimately I was making a point about performances which are as much as what you see with your eye as they are with mechanically reproducing and regurgitating results without any real understanding or context. I maintain there was an increasing dropoff towards the end of the season, especially at home.

Yeah exactly, the weird thing was to include one but not the other... And that Arsenal game really should be written off as a meaningless match. It came 3 days after we'd secured a trip to Wembley, yet people moaned that it we weren't taking the cup seriously :rolleyes:

I hate what Premiership football has become so I understand why some people are saying that going down wouldn't be all that bad. Our return to the Premiership was nice while it lasted but let's be honest, it's no fun seeing your best players sold every season, whilst the board churn out lies about turning us into a force in European football. Katrina has been asset stripping the club for the last 2-3 years. All the money from the sale of players that hasn't been re-invested and now a huge sum from the Gao family. She's done very nicely out of it. It just shows that she doesn't really give a **** about the club.

For me, the final nail in the coffin was when I heard about being bought by a Chinese investor. The likes of Sky & Chinese investors are ruining the game. Give me 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday afternoon and games that whole families can afford to attend. Surely that's better than this ****e that's played by greedy posers with no loyalty, sleeves of tattoo's, Bentley's and all the skill of Iain Dowie. Wake up people - The game is ****ed.

Exactly this. I’ll be at Saints come rain or shine but as the years have ticked by, however tough relegation is to take as a fan, I have less and less interest in us being one of 14 clubs scrapping to stay in the PL. 14 clubs this season are just trying not to lose, with the other 6 picking off their talent and winning every week. This is an increasingly clear pattern. Could be said I’m just whining now that it’s Saints turn for mediocrity but I’m talking about a bigger problem in English football-you could buy 2 historic clubs like Leeds Utd, Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest for the price of a Neymar. That’s crazy. Ask any Villa fan who goes to games and they’ll tell you how much more fun they’re having now compared to getting pumped by Guardiola or Klopp at Villa Park every week and booing their team off. Sooner top 6 f**k off to a European Super League and leave the rest of us with tourist free stadiums and 3pm kick offs the better. I do wonder whether Saints fans saying relegation would be a disaster really mean they’d miss seeing Aguero, Lukaku, Kane etc every week at St Mary’s. I wouldn’t.

I do wonder whether Saints fans saying relegation would be a disaster really mean they’d miss seeing Aguero, Lukaku, Kane etc every week at St Mary’s. I wouldn’t.

It’s probably more the fact that last time we went down we went bust and we have a squad on massive contracts and an owner who had to borrow the money to buy the club.

It’s probably more the fact that last time we went down we went bust and we have a squad on massive contracts and an owner who had to borrow the money to buy the club.

Agreed about the ownership-says it all about the state of English football that very leveraged deals from China (to frantically get capital out of The Far East before the next crash) have been completed not only for Saints, but for many clubs. You’re right, the worst case scenario is that we all end up with no club to support. And there will be tears from many of these but outs over the next decade.

Still maintain that the next worst scenario is being patronisingly and arrogantly whipped by the top 6 each week.

The ownership model would change over night if a European Super League was setup. I can promise you there would be no “We March On” nonsense or talk of “global reach” from Mr Ice Hockey because we are one of the have nots. Based on one of my best mates experience of the last 20 years following Man City, the top 6 are welcome to their global brands. All he sees is empty seats, foam hands and £50million mercenaries. No thanks. Luckily we just sold our only one of them and have none left [emoji39]

Based on one of my best mates experience of the last 20 years following Man City, the top 6 are welcome to their global brands. All he sees is empty seats, foam hands and £50million mercenaries. No thanks. Luckily we just sold our only one of them and have none left [emoji39]

Completely agree with that. I would genuinely hate to be a Man City fan, they look like a club who have sold their soul.

Completely agree with that. I would genuinely hate to be a Man City fan, they look like a club who have sold their soul.

And me.

**** all their titles, their world class players, the fantastic academy they have, the European champions league games, their brilliant manager, I wouldn't want that. Who in their right mind would want Saints to have a team and manager like they have at present. I couldn't think of anything worse than a Saints team in with a chance of going unbeaten in the league and being judged as one of the greatest club sides our games ever seen. **** me give me home grown players like Maya Yoshida, Steve Davis, Gabbi and Dusan Tadic over their foreign mercenaries any day. Imagine the embarrassment of being able to sign Liverpools top players instead of bending over and letting them **** us each season, like you I'd hate it. It'll be horrible discussing honours with Skates, I'd be embarrassed we'd won the league more than them. No way, id much prefer we stayed as we are.

We've sold our soul, as has every team , just as much as city . Why would you prefer to be unsuccessful after selling it, than successful?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

• 2 weeks later...
Remember those days you used to walk around wearing your shirt with pride after Mane bagged a hattrick in under 3 minutes, Or the time we put 8 past Sunderland?

Those were good days!!

We always knew it wasn't going to last forever. I said to my mates when we went to the San siro that we won't be seeing somethibg similar any time soon and to enjoy it while we can. I have to admit I didn't see it falling apart this quickly though but that's what getting complacent without much cash in the prem will do to you.

The worst thing about it is that our board aren’t even making basic decisions at the moment. No active steps to address our alarming slide have been taken and it just feels like the fans are being taken for mugs a bit. Clear we need a new manager and some new recruits but all we seem to be able to do is sell as quickly as possible and then take an age to recruit. There really was absolutely no need to announce the VVD deal so early in the window, if anything it’s weakened our position this window. The only benefit was that Gao got his hands on the cash as quickly as possible.

We always knew it wasn't going to last forever. I said to my mates when we went to the San siro that we won't be seeing somethibg similar any time soon and to enjoy it while we can. I have to admit I didn't see it falling apart this quickly though but that's what getting complacent without much cash in the prem will do to you.
I was at the San Siro and supremely confident that the likelihood of us getting another European trip in the next decade was pretty small so we just enjoyed every minute of it. Except the non alcoholic beer we stupidly bought in the stadium of course.

All we can hope for is a get out a jail card this season which might unlock a new impetus (new manager) next year. For all the dross that has scraped up for multiple seasons recently (Sunderland, Villa, Swansea) you'd hope we can do enough to achieve the same for just one season.

Spot on comment

Can you name a relegated club that has suffered as sudden and striking collapse in the history of the premier league? I certainly can’t.

That’s what we’re potentially dealing with. No wonder people are angry and in shock. Nowt to do with your good old days, Lord Duckhunter inspired b*****ks.

Can you name a relegated club that has suffered as sudden and striking collapse in the history of the premier league? I certainly can’t.

That’s what we’re potentially dealing with. No wonder people are angry and in shock. Nowt to do with your good old days, Lord Duckhunter inspired b*****ks.

Leeds