Van Dijk

Viking Saint

Watching VvD's debut for Liverpool this evening, as he ran towards the fans after scoring, tapping the badge on his chest. What a prime summary of the state of affairs as to where the sport stands today. Mercenary individuals out to squeeze every penny out of their careers. 'Loyalty' only exists amongst the fanbase.

Watching VvD's debut for Liverpool this evening, as he ran towards the fans after scoring, tapping the badge on his chest. What a prime summary of the state of affairs as to where the sport stands today. Mercenary individuals out to squeeze every penny out of their careers. 'Loyalty' only exists amongst the fanbase.
Totally right. He could have ended up at City and would probably have done the exact same. It's all about the money.

That was the worst thing.

The judas **** wasn't putting that effort in for us, it didn't feel like it was something we'd missed out on by letting him go.

Exactly. Every chance he's had fir us this season has gone over the bar or lobbed into the keeper's arms.

Virtually impossible to prove, but it's a form of bringing the game into disrepute.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not just the money. He wanted to be with his fwend wijnaldum. Bless. Absolute tosser of the highest order. It wasn’t as if he even played that well. But he’s so good I’ll bet in the games he played for us recently he made it look like he was trying but missed those chances just enough on purpose. The git

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. He may be a **** but who can really blame him? Look at the state of SFC, we're a ****ing mess.

I emphasize with your feelings, but I also took away some feeling of pride in my club. Not from anything Vvd did but from the fact there were 6 ex Saints players on the pitch and one on the bench. If Clyne was not injured then he would have been on the pitch or on the bench as well.

We have developed, bought and developed, several very good players over the last 6-7 years. Not many other clubs can claim to have had that success.

I would have preferred that they all stayed with Saints but the reality is having developed them they become attractive to clubs who can pay higher salaries than us.

I just hope we can stay up and continue to be as successful in this respect.

Anyone else see the article in the Times today? Essentially because payment is staged, agent fees and Celtic’s cut we essentially get four-fifths of **** all this year.

It's how transfers are done. We'd structure our incoming deals in exactly the same way.

Anyone else see the article in the Times today? Essentially because payment is staged, agent fees and Celtic’s cut we essentially get four-fifths of **** all this year.

No wonder we are spending it over furture transfer windows! Lol

Can't see the article (is there a link) but this is at odds with what was said when the transfer was done, which was £70m up front (with 5m add-ons). The Celtic cut comes out of that obviously but we should still be getting upwards of £60m. Should we believe what is written in a Murdoch rag?

I noted that the match commentators said that he purred like a Rolls Royce in his movement across the pitch. Of course, he never played like that for us, or the same pundits would have made the same observations about him then, wouldn't they? It's marvellous how much better a player becomes the instant they put on a glory team shirt.

The media were briefed by SFC that they would get a large lump upfront as stated here by Jeremy Wilson, who we know was given the sale info by the club

"Southampton wanted big chunk up front as they plan to be active in January too and want to get an attacker in quickly."

Full text here:

Southampton fans hoping for a spending spree this month after the £74 million sale of Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool are going to be disappointed as the club’s initial windfall from their record transfer deal will be less than £17 million. Although Southampton are guaranteed to receive £70 million for Van Dijk, with a further £4 million due in bonus payments if the Holland defender meets certain performance targets, the way the transfer has been structured means that Liverpool’s payments will be made in three equal instalments over the next three years beginning with a £23.3 million downpayment this month.

Southampton’s cash flow will be further limited by the fact that Celtic’s sell-on fee for Van Dijk — 10 per cent of Southampton’s profit on a player they paid £11.5 million for three years ago — is due immediately, so almost £6 million of Liverpool’s initial payment will go to Celtic Park. In addition agent fees must also be settled immediately, leaving Southampton with a limited transfer kitty as Mauricio Pellegrino aims to overhaul a squad that is only above the relegation places on goal difference. Southampton are planning to reinvest all the Van Dijk money into the playing squad, but will have to do so over several transfer windows.

Bummer!!!

I thought it had been agreed that we would get £70m less 10% straightaway

I think when they say 70 million up front, it's the same as Liverpool are getting 105 million up front for Coutinho.

That's the amount guaranteed, it's still over a length of time in instalments but that's what we will get eventually definately.

The other 5 (or 35 in Coutinhos case) is related to performance, number of games, champions league trophies etc. And therefore not guaranteed.

As we have the 70 million guaranteed we should still be able to spend it and structure buying players against those payments in the same way.

Are you taking the ****? Loyalty does not exist amongst the fanbase. Football fans turn on players very quickly if the have a bad season. Think how quickly we've seen "Get rid" threads about various players when they have not been doing well, despite years of good service. I've seen threads about ditching Davies, Yoshida, Long, JWP. Oh yeah, we have loyalty, until there's the slightest question mark over a player or manager.

I watched the match and I actually felt good for VVD when he scored the header, good for him. I have no ill will. He also got a 9 grading by some reports I read.

Good I am glad you are happy for him.

I hope you also hold him up as a role model for your kids, seeing as he took a million pounds in wages from us, whilst pretty much refusing to play some games then when he did play just went through the motions.

Then just to prove how much he was taking the **** he actually tries in his first game for his new club.

Oh and this was on the back of having 1 1/2 million pounds in wages for the previous 6 months without playing whilst we paid for his rehabilitation and then he couldn't even be arsed to turn up to the end is season do.

Oh and all this on the back of being made captain of the first team.

I, for one, feel nothing for the vile pretence of a human being. I certainly won't ever think " good for you" when something good happens to him..

Coutinho on the other hand in the same circumstances played his heart out when he played despite knowing he was leaving. I will give a smile when he scores for Barcelona.

Edited by Saint-Fred

Bummer!!!

I thought it had been agreed that we would get £70m less 10% straightaway

It doesn't matter to the football club whether they get the £70m all in one go, or staged payments as long as they get the headline figure it. Any transfers in to Southampton will be staged in just the same way. Mind you if the money is going to Mr Gao, he might like it all in one hit....

when he starting limping after a challenge a big part of me thought 'I do hope so'

The commentators really did big him up, there was a moment 2nd half where he left the ball for the keeper to come but really he should have cleared it and they blamed the keeper.

There really is a massive bias towards Liverpool compared to any other club in England. At no time did they mention his appalling behavior

Sometimes I reckon there is a co-ordinated attempt to **** us off and demoralise us.

Why does Fleet Street hate us so ?

Because they only have eyes for 'big' clubs (and only temporarily for them, too: Blackburn? Villa? Newcastle? etc).

We got close to peeing on their parade, which made them feel uncomfortable, so they try to control us by criticising us so our good players leave for their favourites...

.... oh.

Fleet Street win again!

Totally right. He could have ended up at City and would probably have done the exact same. It's all about the money.

One rumour I've heard from inside the club is that it was agreed that he'd go to City for 62M, and was delighted to be going there, then Les went back to Liverpool and told them, so Liverpool upped it to 75M and Les said thanks very much, that 13M pays Celtics sell-on fee. Apparently VvD is now disappointed to be ending up at Liverpool after all. What a shame, couldn't happen to a nicer tw&t.

Where he kept putting in effort, played well then agreed a transfer to a far better league? Hardly.

l.

Did you watch him in their Champions League qualifiers just before he joined? He was at fault for at least 2 goals against Malmo, he was putting little effort in as he knew he was leaving. In fact he said before the 1st leg it probably didn't matter if they qualify or not he wanted to leave.

Good I am glad you are happy for him.

I hope you also hold him up as a role model for your kids, seeing as he took a million pounds in wages from us, whilst pretty much refusing to play some games then when he did play just went through the motions.

Then just to prove how much he was taking the **** he actually tries in his first game for his new club.

Oh and this was on the back of having 1 1/2 million pounds in wages for the previous 6 months without playing whilst we paid for his rehabilitation and then he couldn't even be arsed to turn up to the end is season do.

Oh and all this on the back of being made captain of the first team.

I, for one, feel nothing for the vile pretence of a human being. I certainly won't ever think " good for you" when something good happens to him..

Coutinho on the other hand in the same circumstances played his heart out when he played despite knowing he was leaving. I will give a smile when he scores for Barcelona.

What so you think that VVD should have tried harder?,for what purpose?, Hey hes got nothing to prove playing for us in the end because it was a done deal.We as a club roll over and let the next big thing go at the earliest oppertunity, we get just to claw more money sooner rather than later.I wish him the very best of luck .ITS NOT US A S FANS THAT SELL THE PLAYERS ITS THE AWFUL BOARD OF DIRECTORS. We are the only thing thats constant in football nowadays US loyal fans,Sky and the Oil tycoons looking to fritter away some tax loop hole money are the CANCER of the game .So yes good luck to the bloke we must have all known this was going to happen as it will do for LEMINA next year.

Full text here:

Southampton fans hoping for a spending spree this month after the £74 million sale of Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool are going to be disappointed as the club’s initial windfall from their record transfer deal will be less than £17 million. Although Southampton are guaranteed to receive £70 million for Van Dijk, with a further £4 million due in bonus payments if the Holland defender meets certain performance targets, the way the transfer has been structured means that Liverpool’s payments will be made in three equal instalments over the next three years beginning with a £23.3 million downpayment this month.

Southampton’s cash flow will be further limited by the fact that Celtic’s sell-on fee for Van Dijk — 10 per cent of Southampton’s profit on a player they paid £11.5 million for three years ago — is due immediately, so almost £6 million of Liverpool’s initial payment will go to Celtic Park. In addition agent fees must also be settled immediately, leaving Southampton with a limited transfer kitty as Mauricio Pellegrino aims to overhaul a squad that is only above the relegation places on goal difference. Southampton are planning to reinvest all the Van Dijk money into the playing squad, but will have to do so over several transfer windows.

All is not lost. We still have a surplus from sales over the last few seasons to spend.

I will never understand how a sportsperson's competitive nature would stop them from trying when the take to the field.....you'd think they'd naturally want to win their battles, out-think their man etc even if that's so as not to appear below average at what they do or be talked about in a negative light. I'll never understand that....along with the ability to fall over in the box for a penalty when you can clearly stay on your feet, or dive outside the box. Is it not an instinctive thing to want to stay standing and try to play the ball!?

Full text here:

Surely that works both ways in that we wouldn't be stumping up the whole fee in one go for any signings we were to make either?