VVD Replacement

Dusic

One stat that used to come up in the Koeman era was the lack of shots we allowed on our goal iirc we had some of the lowest shots on our own goal stats in the league.

That wasn't just about the back four though and was more about the protection the rest of the team gave the back line (and Forster in particular) that started to slide last season ( partly due I suspect to only having one proper DM available) and has carried on this season.

Chance of us replacing VVD with someone of the same quality is pretty slim but we could certainly look at improving our defensive team shape by controlling the midfield. Play Romeu, Lemina and Hoj as our preferred midfield and press more rather than trying to defend space deep in numbers would most likely improve our defence.

Your point was perfectly illustrated yesterday! Romeu, Lemina and Hoj more than matching the Spurs midfield - and there was more press than usual.

One stat that used to come up in the Koeman era was the lack of shots we allowed on our goal iirc we had some of the lowest shots on our own goal stats in the league.

That wasn't just about the back four though and was more about the protection the rest of the team gave the back line (and Forster in particular) that started to slide last season ( partly due I suspect to only having one proper DM available) and has carried on this season.

Chance of us replacing VVD with someone of the same quality is pretty slim but we could certainly look at improving our defensive team shape by controlling the midfield. Play Romeu, Lemina and Hoj as our preferred midfield and press more rather than trying to defend space deep in numbers would most likely improve our defence.

All valid, but ignores the issue of defending set pieces, which we're dreadful at. A better centre back would help, as indeed would a lump of a centre forward. Kane out muscled Stephens and ended up against gabbi yesterday, the very two positions in question.

All valid, but ignores the issue of defending set pieces, which we're dreadful at. A better centre back would help, as indeed would a lump of a centre forward. Kane out muscled Stephens and ended up against gabbi yesterday, the very two positions in question.

Yes that is a fair point though Kane has made a monkey of most PL defenders at some point.

Does anyone have stats for how many goals we've conceded from set pieces when VVD hasn't played this season it would be in interesting to see.

Yes that is a fair point though Kane has made a monkey of most PL defenders at some point.

Does anyone have stats for how many goals we've conceded from set pieces when VVD hasn't played this season it would be in interesting to see.

but he didn't do anything remotely world class. or that good yesterday. his goal was just easy

Spurs fans commenting there were huge holes to drive through our midfield and defense that they didn’t exploit.
there were a fair few times demebele was able to run at our sort of 20 yard area. Kane was able to drop and pick the ball up 40 yards out a few times without being challenged

there were a fair few times demebele was able to run at our sort of 20 yard area. Kane was able to drop and pick the ball up 40 yards out a few times without being challenged

Thought it was a very open game -both sides were vulnerable, just that a bit of quality was lacking. At least, we looked more threatening for a change.

Edited by shurlock

Spurs fans commenting there were huge holes to drive through our midfield and defense that they didn’t exploit.

Not so much first half towards the end of second half though we were blowing out our arses started dropping deep and gave up pressing and they opened us up a few times luckily their finishing was Shane Long quality. Overall I think we matched them in midfield so they can't complain to much.

Isn't that what world class players do make it look easy....

Watching the replay of the goal, Stephens was at sixes and sevens. It’s not even that Kane had to do much to lose Stephens. Basically Kane got a step on him by outmuscling him and Stephens gave up. Far worse attackers than Kane have had their way with Stephens in the air.

Edited by shurlock

Think that was particularly true in the second half, but possibly a product of us sitting so deep. Almost like, because the defence was so shaky first half, we made our last line of defence better but in the process allowed them much more space to carry the ball from defence to attack.

Think that was particularly true in the second half, but possibly a product of us sitting so deep. Almost like, because the defence was so shaky first half, we made our last line of defence better but in the process allowed them much more space to carry the ball from defence to attack.

I think as much as anything we just got tired. Lamina and peh both got knocks, Romeu was on a card, and this killed our aggressiveness. Not helped by the fact that dembeles yellow card was at least half an hour too late, allowing him to continue at full throttle.

Edited by Chewy
Typo

I think as much as anything we just got tired. Lamina and peh both got knocks, Romeu was on a card, and this killed our aggressiveness. Not helped by the fact that dembeles yellow card was at least half an hour too late, allowing him to continue at full throttle.

True, we definitely looked tired too.

Not happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What isn't, Mawson ? No great surprise as that never looked to be on the cards. Or do you mean any CB at all ? That would be disappointing when its a position we need to upgrade on. But if we can overlook the GK issue for two seasons it probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

What isn't, Mawson ? No great surprise as that never looked to be on the cards. Or do you mean any CB at all ? That would be disappointing when its a position we need to upgrade on. But if we can overlook the GK issue for two seasons it probably shouldn't come as a surprise.
Not at all. It's been made very clear CB is not on our radar.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So today VVD strolled it whilst Hoedt and Stephens were given the runaround.

CB is a big weakness for us. Money in the bank, (nor 5 pledges) help a team defend properly.

From Fonte and VVD to Hoedt and Stephens is a very accurate summary of whats happened across the squad and management team in the last 18 months.

Hoedt was a third choice at Lazio. Stephens a 4th at Saints and now we are reliant upon them in a relegation battle.

Unforgiveable mismanagement.

Yoshida is honestly better than both of them but can't get a game because Stephens is academy/english(big sale value) and Hoedt had a public whinge last time he was benched. Poor recruitment all over the field and CB is no exception. Putting 2 young inexperienced CB's together is just daft. You need someone with command/leadership back there to control the defence.

Never been annoyed at any of the players being sold. They're all mercenaries as far as I'm concerned, if they want to p*ss off and earn more money elsewhere I couldn't care less.

It's the Lowe-esq cheapskate replacements that really p*ssed me off. How did we go from Virgil and Fonte to this...

Toby A ?

Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld will not travel to Turin for their Champions League last-16 tie with Juventus, putting the 28-year-old Belgium player's future at the club in doubt. (Telegraph)

Serious?

We have more chance of convincing Rio to come out of retirement.

There's obviously something going on behind the scenes with regards to his contract and his demands, but if he does leave it will be for a CL team without question. We wouldn't even be in the equation.

Yoshida is honestly better than both of them but can't get a game because Stephens is academy/english(big sale value) and Hoedt had a public whinge last time he was benched. Poor recruitment all over the field and CB is no exception. Putting 2 young inexperienced CB's together is just daft. You need someone with command/leadership back there to control the defence.

That rules out Yoshida then.

Serious?

We have more chance of convincing Rio to come out of retirement.

There's obviously something going on behind the scenes with regards to his contract and his demands, but if he does leave it will be for a CL team without question. We wouldn't even be in the equation.

I have a feeling this Spurs side will start quickly breaking up after the world cup. They can't match the wages of other clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
One of our previous rumours targets will be out of the question for a while.

https://t.co/BYbHn6LL7O

In the know-ers reckoned we were seriously interested but he chose Villarreal over us.

Would've been another cracking win for the recruitment team - he's been arrested as many times this season as he has started games (3). The Portuguese Nile Ranger.

Dodged a bullet. Probably fired by Semedo.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The fact he's supposed to be very, very good makes me wonder why on earth we bought Bednarek.

Seems to be a slight theme.

Bednarek > Jones

Clasie > Reed

Carrillo > Gallagher

(I'm aware there are arguments to be made against all of those).

Jones is out of contract in the summer, so it's either a further sign of our growing incompetence or maybe he's tailed off. I'll assume the former for now.

The fact he's supposed to be very, very good makes me wonder why on earth we bought Bednarek.

Whilst he may be a fantastic prospect at youth level that still doesn't guarantee he'll be succesful when given the chance to step up.

If you've not seen BT Sports documentary 'No Hunger in Paradise' then I suggest you might want to watch it. It features a former West Ham trainee (who's name escapes me) but who was a wonder-kid through their academy system, got academy player of the year and captained their youth team. He never got a pro contract and ended up going to university in the USA.

Anyway, even if he turns out as good as projected, there's nothing wrong with having two young star centre backs.