Fulham 0 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

OK, so I might have been a little optimistic at half time thinking we'd go on to win 3-0. I forgot about our tactic of trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead and making stupid substitutions. Lucky Fulham were poor finishers otherwise we'd have been doomed again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A win is a win & the first one in like ten games! Unfortunately like others have said just stops them pulling the trigger sooner, changes nothing pelligrino must go

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy we are still in the cup & maybe it'll help players confidence. At least we aren't stoke.

Don't think performance was much good, barring short spells. Luckily Fulham were pretty awful & when we sat back and let them for once put a good cross in their striker missed the ball. Hopefully we'll still move manager on this week.

Strange substitutions again. When your first 2 substitutions are booed that's not good.

Gabbi looks a shadow of the player he was last season.

Should have been more than 1-0 cos we missed some really good chances (Stephens and Gabbi for instance).

But WTF were those subs about?

Boufal played OK from what I saw, so he takes him off to replace him with Powderpuff Redmond, who manages to misplace just about every single pass he attempted.

Every single one of us on here could see that Davis was having a shocker, so he takes off our best midfielder instead.

Waits until the last 10 minutes and Long has got cramp before replacing him with Gabbi.

I'm happy that we won for a change, but f*ck me this guy just doesn't have a scooby-doo.

We're the PL team with the expensive players and yet the possession figures would have suggested that Fulham were. A really scrappy game, but thank God that we held out. I heard loud a clear our chant against Pellegrino "you don't know what you're doing" when he took Hojbjerg off, but at least it was a like for like for Lemina. Gabbiadini is so far out of sorts from lack of match time that he skyed his shot at an open goal. I would have had him on instead of Redmond, who didn't do much when he came on.

Had that been a prem team it would have been 2-1 and according to plan. Two woeful misses by Fulham right after they changed it tactically and we sat on our 1-0.

Keep expecting Jeremy Beadle to trot out disguised as linesman laughing and pointing at the hidden cameras.

Does this guy learn at all, does he watch the match tapes?

Great to see Saints win against a Championship side. We had several close goal scoring chances in that game particularly for Stephens and Hoj, and a penalty wrongly denied.

Still, nothing tells me that Pellegrino knows what he’s doing and his tactics and subs remind me of his performance managing the Palace game. Taking off the wrong players (Boufal and Hoj). Bringing on Redmond. Sitting back and inviting pressure towards the end of the 2nd half to defend a one goal lead, against a Championship team.

I don't recall ever feeling so sad about a win in my 25 years support saints.

To me, that means he'll keep his job a few more weeks, and that means we are relegated. There just isn't going to be time for the new man with these fixtures. Such a monumental fck up by the board keeping him this long.

Unfirtunately I feel exactly the same about this result. Sorry but that’s just how I feel......bugger !

It doesn't get any better than that does it?

I have never felt so empty after a win before this...........

Now 5 wins then.

West Ham - in a mess under Bilic, later sacked, and without points

Palace - in a mess under de boer, later sacked, and without points or goal

West Brom - in a mess under pulis, later sacked, and requiring a wonder goal late on to win

Everton - in a mega mess under unsworth and getting hammered by everyone, soon replaced

Fulham - scraped by a team from the league below

I mean it's brilliant stuff isn't it.

Every time I see Pellegrino I think the lights are on but nobody is at home. Then he proves it with his ridiculous substitutions. Romeu and Hojbjerg were controlling the midfield but Lamina should have replaced Davis not Hojbjerg. we then lost the midfield and were under the cosh for the last ten minutes. Redmond came on and proceeded to do nothing productive, get in the way and give the ball away time after time. Why not Sims? Never a better opportunity. Gabbiadini bottled the back heel from Lamina.

Bednerek had a quiet but solid display at right back. The back four and McCarthy (except for the dropped cross) were solid as were Romeu and Hojbjerg. JWP worked hard and took his goal well, Long worked hard on his own all game supported by the milky Davis who flattered to deceive but certainly shouldn't have been playing where Gabbiadini should have been. In any event he should have been substituted after no more than an hour.

The problem is the manager for picking players that aren't good enough and leaving players like Lamina and Gabbiadini out. We were hopeless up front with one striker plus Davis and sometimes JWP. He needs to get a grip. This display won't keep us up. Against a better side we would have conceded a couple in the last ten minutes after he weakened the midfield.

From the Fulham forum, can't argue:

Hoof ball and 11 behind the ball against lower league opposition.

I'm glad I can watch our lot every week instead.

Correct. We were disjointed and idea-less. Boufal was ok but of course that means he goes off for the execrable Redmond. The clueless MP goes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall ever feeling so sad about a win in my 25 years support saints.

To me, that means he'll keep his job a few more weeks, and that means we are relegated. There just isn't going to be time for the new man with these fixtures. Such a monumental fck up by the board keeping him this long.

Jesus wept, you're a mess.

I’d be very surprised if the board are encouraged by that.

This is why I call it the best possible result - we won the game and he’ll still get the sack.

What makes you think that ?

This win whilst welcome probably provides the clown with a stay of execution. Much more than papering over the cracks now, this is eroding any real chance we have of staying up. Today the substitutions were very odd indeed, and my first thought was that this is Lesley's shop window in January sales action - not sure what else would explain such tactical ineptitude. #weblunderon

We were poor against a poor Fulham side. Our midfield did not do enough and Davis should have been substituted for Lamina much earlier.

Could not understand why we took off Boufal and PEH either as we were dire afterwards.

I see the usual 'if we lose, who gives a **** about the performance' has been turned right on is head.

For the record I am absolutely delighted that we have won and are into the next round. That is all that matters to me today. I am not willing to sacrifice our place in the cup to add weight to the sacking of the manager. Win the cup and be relegated? I will take that right now.

We were poor against a poor Fulham side. Our midfield did not do enough and Davis should have been substituted for Lamina much earlier.

Could not understand why we took off Boufal and PEH either as we were dire afterwards.

Because he has NO CLUE