Fulham 0 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

I’d be very surprised if the board are encouraged by that.

This is why I call it the best possible result - we won the game and he’ll still get the sack.

I call it the worst possible result. We get distracted by another cup game, and he doesn't get the sack.

From the Fulham forum, can't argue:

Hoof ball and 11 behind the ball against lower league opposition.

I'm glad I can watch our lot every week instead.

That could have been my description of Burnley after the game at Sms. Lot of teams winning ugly, defensively...luckily?

I call it the worst possible result. We get distracted by another cup game, and he doesn't get the sack.

But it is revenue for the board. All they care about (blind to the huge losses going down will mean)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manager claimed he was playing our best 11,so when that doesn’t involve 2 players signed in the last 12 months that cost 15 million each there is either something wrong with him or the people signing the players.

When we sign players of that value they need to be good enough to improve the first 11 consistently and in both cases looked good at the beginning of their time here but have got worse.

I will give Reed the benefit of doubt and blame the manager for using them both incorrectly.

Should have been more than 1-0 cos we missed some really good chances (Stephens and Gabbi for instance).

But WTF were those subs about?

Boufal played OK from what I saw, so he takes him off to replace him with Powderpuff Redmond, who manages to misplace just about every single pass he attempted.

Every single one of us on here could see that Davis was having a shocker, so he takes off our best midfielder instead.

Waits until the last 10 minutes and Long has got cramp before replacing him with Gabbi.

I'm happy that we won for a change, but f*ck me this guy just doesn't have a scooby-doo.

I wondered if he deliberately didn’t bring Gabbidini on because the fans were calling for it. He’s such a spineless guy, sneaks out with the team at the start so he doesn’t get booed. Then at the end of the game fails to acknowledge the crowd at all, just skulks off with his head down. The fans could have been a lot tougher today, I’m mildly disappointed that there were any MP-out chants, the worst he got was a “you don’t know what you’re doing” when he mystifyingly took off Hojbjerg.

The manager claimed he was playing our best 11,so when that doesn’t involve 2 players signed in the last 12 months that cost 15 million each there is either something wrong with him or the people signing the players.

When we sign players of that value they need to be good enough to improve the first 11 consistently and in both cases looked good at the beginning of their time here but have got worse.

I will give Reed the benefit of doubt and blame the manager for using them both incorrectly.

According to Solent Hoedt is still unfit from his concussion at Man U and Lemina doesn't seem to have recaptured his form since injury (plus everyone is demanding Hoj play every game now anyway)

Edited by doddisalegend

Wasn’t a great watch and Fulham were very poor I thought. Again we were so slow within transition from defence to attack. The PEH substitution was just bizarre considering we don’t play for a week.

Positive is that we won and perhaps will create some confidence for next weeend.

The soccer Saturday team were pretty vocal on our season and our managers lack of tactical awareness. Also stated that his substitutions didn’t make any sense although he didn’t appear to be getting any support from his coaching team within games.

There was a spell in the second half where we were playing ok, looked a threat going forwards (before Boufal went off). Long was looking spent, couldn’t even jog back to get onside. The game at that moment suited Gabbiadini AND Long was tiring, yet he waits until we are sat deep and hoofing it forward until he brings Gabbiadini on with 5 minutes left, the circumstances everyone knows Gabbiadini is rubbish in. He didn’t look bothered when he came on, but not sure I can blame him. Was gutted he missed a sitter, felt like the whole end were desperate for that to hit the net!

If we really needed any evidence that our woes were all down to having Van Dijk hanging around the place we surely have it now.

I don't think we'd have lost to Palace if van Dijk had played. Our central defence looked a shambles without him. If that's the point that costs us our Premier League place, selling him so early will prove very costly indeed. On a positive note, having the fourth round FA Cup draw to look forward to is a pleasant surprise.

According to Solent Hoedt is still unfit from his concussion at Man U and Lemina doesn't seem to have recaptured his form since injury (plus everyone is demanding Hoj play every game now anyway)

I wasn’t including Hoedt as he is injured just Lemina and Gabbiadini. If they really are bench players then our transfer committee need shooting.

I suspect it’s more to do with the managers use of the players though

Some odd comments. On the way back now - support was excellent and it was a good day out. We beat a decent team away from home but frankly this looked out level. Should have won by 2 goals but again some dreadful finishing. I was worried by Bedenak but he actually played well against Fulhans supposed best player (who was very quiet). Slightly confused by the booing of the Hoijberg for Lemina sub - yes he was playing well ( But not brilliant) but it was a like for like sub and you could argue it makes sense to save energy for Watford. Agree that he def and Aron looked untroubled but we were so ultra defensive against inferior opposition that should be a given. Long and gab I didn't look like scoring which is a bigger concern. Good win but we will go down if MOPe stays

Krueger will be delighted we got the 3 points.

I didn't realize that the F.A. Cup had changed to an all-play-all league format :)

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying. It takes the pressure off him. TEMPORARILY!

Edited by Mr Dad
spelling

Chelsea seem to be doing well away to a Championship side. The club will do what they feel is right regardless of our thoughts. a win away in the cup to lower league side is always decent. I don’t care to remember the amount if times saints have lost in the cup against lower league sides awayover the years.

If he goes great, if he doesn’t then I hope today builds a little confidence. Didn’t watch the game so dot know how bad it was.

I understand the frustration but don’t see the logic of calling for MP’s head. All the decent ‘rescue’ managers have been bought up, so what does a leap into the dark do - other than make a relegation threat a relegation certainty. So booing the manager doesn’t achieve anything.

I think we’re too quick to change the boss when the failure for the last two seasons has been not to replace Pele. We have no one in attack who can hold the ball up as Pele and Lambert before him would so. Changing a manager after 12 months, 6months does not give sufficient time to build a team.

We forced the board to act on Puel and the evidence is it wasn’t him. There’s a real danger that the same will be true with MP. I was one of those that wanted Puel out (despite what I said above) because the attitude became toxic. We need to be careful what we wish for. It doesn’t mean MP is the right choice, just I am not sure a change at this time will make any difference.

I see the usual 'if we lose, who gives a **** about the performance' has been turned right on is head.

For the record I am absolutely delighted that we have won and are into the next round. That is all that matters to me today. I am not willing to sacrifice our place in the cup to add weight to the sacking of the manager. Win the cup and be relegated? I will take that right now.

We're not going to win the cup with this manager.........

Its a pretty sad perverted place we are in when we mourn a win because it almost certainly infers relegation..... :(

Only in a mind such as yours....I am celebrating a win that will help build the team's confidence and a place in the next round.

We were ok. played a bit more on the front foot. An equaliser would have dented that....but it didn't happen ffs

Crowd were excellent throughout, palpably boosted the team.

Never forget that Sir Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack in his first season.

It is very harsh to judge a manager on somebody else's team.

Goal diff suggests we will be safe, it is invariably an amazingly accurate indicator of final league positions.

I have just one question to the Pellegrino out fans - who do you bring in that is a guaranteed safe pair of hands.

I can't see anyone at the moment.

Bad day for the handful of our customers that posted on the prematch thread that they hoped we'd lose. Didn't hear any cursing when we scored, so they either kept quiet or stayed at home.

The only thing that matters in the cup is getting through to the next round, job done. Competent tactics and substitutions and a refreshing change to pick a proper team in the cup. Onwards and upwards.

Bad day for the handful of our customers that posted on the prematch thread that they hoped we'd lose. Didn't hear any cursing when we scored, so they either kept quiet or stayed at home.

The only thing that matters in the cup is getting through to the next round, job done. Competent tactics and substitutions and a refreshing change to play a proper team in the cup.

'competent tactics and substititions'

I understand the frustration but don’t see the logic of calling for MP’s head. All the decent ‘rescue’ managers have been bought up, so what does a leap into the dark do - other than make a relegation threat a relegation certainty. So booing the manager doesn’t achieve anything.

I think we’re too quick to change the boss when the failure for the last two seasons has been not to replace Pele. We have no one in attack who can hold the ball up as Pele and Lambert before him would so. Changing a manager after 12 months, 6months does not give sufficient time to build a team.

We forced the board to act on Puel and the evidence is it wasn’t him. There’s a real danger that the same will be true with MP. I was one of those that wanted Puel out (despite what I said above) because the attitude became toxic. We need to be careful what we wish for. It doesn’t mean MP is the right choice, just I am not sure a change at this time will make any difference.

By "rescue" manager, you just mean one of the no-nonsense British stalwarts that do the merry go-round of underachieving Prem teams. If you think they are the only people who could improve on the useless incumbent sufficiently to keep us in the league then I find that odd.

Pochettino had an impact on how we played from his first match. There is any number of potential managers who could improve on this guy.

Contrary to prevailing opinion, I thought we played well enough. The last 10 minutes doesn't make a game, and up until that point we were *far* more likelier to be the next scorers. A 2/3 nil performance if ever I saw one. And unlike most others, I can get on board with the substitutions. Nothing wrong with injecting fresh legs. I'm in the Out camp with virtually everyone else, but I can guarantee that if he hooked Davis for Lemina, plenty would be lambasting it as too defensive (so I see much of the criticism as a state of mind, foremost).

Anyway, today was a good result. Happy Negativity Day, everyone ;)

P.S Agree about Sims. Would've been a good situation to play him.

P.P.S Shout out to Bednarek for putting in a competent shift in an unfamiliar position against a tricky player.

Never forget that Sir Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack in his first season.

Goal diff suggests we will be safe, it is invariably an amazingly accurate indicator of final league positions.

I have just one question to the Pellegrino out fans - who do you bring in that is a guaranteed safe pair of hands.

:lol::lol: ****ing hell

Good day out. Athmosphere was great especially second half. Was quite surprised how positive the atmosphere was in general actually. Think we were just happy to be winning!

We were the only side who looked like scoring, missed two absolute sitters with Gabbiadini and Stephens, Hoijberg probably should’ve scored too. Don’t think McCarthy even had a save to make. I really felt like the fans were desperate (as always) for that elusive second goal to kill the game off.

What bugged me was that for the last 20 mins, we just let them have the ball and dominate position. I know they did nothing with it but still so infuriating to watch. Same game plan, get ahead and sit on it, which worked today as Fulham didn’t have the quality. Not so good against prem sides, hense why we never win games.

Liked the way Fulham tried to play, and sessegnon is a real talent.

The only thing that matters in the cup is getting through to the next round, job done. Competent tactics and substitutions and a refreshing change to pick a proper team in the cup. Onwards and upwards.

Pervert.

Have had a quick flick through the cyber warriors’ comments within seconds of the final whistle and as someone actually there I enjoyed my afternoon. A few thoughts, from someone who similarly worries that MP is not the right man but doesn’t want to be churlish:

- he picked a decent team given injuries and prioritised winning the game. Fair play

- fans were excellent, 4000 gave good encouragement. A few guys tried to spoil the atmosphere and got shouted down. Only moment of tension was when Hojberg was subbed to my surprise but Lemina actually did well when he came on

- Romeu and Hojberg superb, well done back 4 including Jan out of position and Long worked his socks off

- there seems to be a section of our fans that think Gabbi walks on water. However he is a shadow of the player that he was and looks like he wants to be elsewhere

- We won away At a decent championship side. Look at other Premier League sides today who faired much worse. It’s good for confidence. Be happy for one weekend!

Now we need to get 7 points from Watford, Spurs, Brighton and WBA. It will be tough but I think these next four games will be make or break

was never sure if you were on a constant wind up or not. Thanks for this confirmation that you must be......competent tactics and substitutions ? Hahahahahaha oh please, make it stop :lol:

Complacency personified.