Fulham 0 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

Have had a quick flick through the cyber warriors’ comments within seconds of the final whistle and as someone actually there I enjoyed my afternoon. A few thoughts, from someone who similarly worries that MP is not the right man but doesn’t want to be churlish:

- he picked a decent team given injuries and prioritised winning the game. Fair play

- fans were excellent, 4000 gave good encouragement. A few guys tried to spoil the atmosphere and got shouted down. Only moment of tension was when Hojberg was subbed to my surprise but Lemina actually did well when he came on

- Romeu and Hojberg superb, well done back 4 including Jan out of position and Long worked his socks off

- there seems to be a section of our fans that think Gabbi walks on water. However he is a shadow of the player that he was and looks like he wants to be elsewhere

- We won away At a decent championship side. Look at other Premier League sides today who faired much worse. It’s good for confidence. Be happy for one weekend!

Now we need to get 7 points from Watford, Spurs, Brighton and WBA. It will be tough but I think these next four games will be make or break

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell you what, I was going to Devon today and stopped in some services on the M5and there were about a dozen Bury fans. I didn't know who they were playing or how they are in their league. Only when I watched final score did I see that they lost 3-0 to Plymouth and are 11 points adrift at the bottom of their league. Now that is true fans and also something really to moan about. Cup final and 8th and we sack a manager lol

Good day out. Athmosphere was great especially second half. Was quite surprised how positive the atmosphere was in general actually. Think we were just happy to be winning!

The Pellgrino out shout is everywhere on here but I've hardly heard it at games. Saintsweb is not fully representative of the saints crowd. No skates at games for starters, not that I am saying its skates calling for his head I might add.

You are right about Sessignion. Quality.

Bad day for the handful of our customers that posted on the prematch thread that they hoped we'd lose. Didn't hear any cursing when we scored, so they either kept quiet or stayed at home.

The only thing that matters in the cup is getting through to the next round, job done. Competent tactics and substitutions and a refreshing change to pick a proper team in the cup. Onwards and upwards.

I usually agree with your footballing views, however, "competent tactics and substitutions"? Nah, can't agree with that at all.

I thought we'd hit rock bottom in fan entailment last season, where 8th and a cup final is deemed not worthy of us. But no, now it's a 1-0 win in the cup after a tricky away tie. What on earths the matter with people. Any side in the premier league would have taken that today, any side. I get the feeling that deep down some are dissatisfied because we won. It's all about them being proved right and confirming the Managers a "clown ", rather than Saints progressing into the next round.

The Telegraph focus on the hostile attitude of the visiting fans towards Pellegrino in this match report...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/06/fulham-0-southampton-1-james-ward-prowse-strikes-ease-pressure/

This seems a little unfair on the visiting supporters. They were audibly supportive throughout. I felt sorry for Lemina when he came on to boos but I presume this was a reaction to Pellegrino taking the excellent Hojberg off rather than Lemina coming on. You could also hear the you don’t know what you’re doing chant on the telly.

The Pellgrino out shout is everywhere on here but I've hardly heard it at games. Saintsweb is not fully representative of the saints crowd. No skates at games for starters, not that I am saying its skates calling for his head I might add.

You are right about Sessignion. Quality.

Yeah agreed, thought there would have been a lot more negativity, probably would have been if we went behind etc, but am glad there wasn’t personally.

Mad to think Sessegnon has about 5 years before he could even start to think about reaching his potential..

As ever, Fulham is a good day out. Plenty of places to eat/drink. Great location. Friendly locals. Game was OK but we were far from convincing.

No comparison with the performance last time we went to Fulham in 2014, or even the previous year. Dominated first half without creating much apart from the goal, but second half was really scrappy and Fulham could easily have forced a replay with better finishing. We just sat deeper and deeper against a mid-table Championship team. Fans got behind team well, and only had a go at MP for the Hoj substitution (should have been Davis). Wanted Gabbi on much earlier than 85 mins, as Long had run himself into the ground. Left it far too late. And Redmond's head has gone. His confidence is completely shot.

But a wins a win. We limp on.

Chelsea seem to be doing well away to a Championship side. The club will do what they feel is right regardless of our thoughts. a win away in the cup to lower league side is always decent. I don’t care to remember the amount if times saints have lost in the cup against lower league sides awayover the years.

If he goes great, if he doesn’t then I hope today builds a little confidence. Didn’t watch the game so dot know how bad it was.

Not so much in modern times, apparently we were 17 from 18 before today's game so guess we have now beaten lower league opposition in the FA cup 18 of the last 19 times we've been asked to. That's a pretty decent record.

I thought we'd hit rock bottom in fan entailment last season, where 8th and a cup final is deemed not worthy of us. But no, now it's a 1-0 win in the cup after a tricky away tie. What on earths the matter with people. Any side in the premier league would have taken that today, any side. I get the feeling that deep down some are dissatisfied because we won. It's all about them being proved right and confirming the Managers a "clown ", rather than Saints progressing into the next round.

i think you might be right. Saints fans unhappy at an FA cup win. Whatever next.

Very strange day out, even if it is in the cup the win was a refreshing result.

Good bit of humour when we scored, about 5 minutes of fans bouncing around singing "we've scored a goal". Kept the chill out if anything.

Folks moaning about the booing when PEH was subbed it was a case of WTF. He had been playing well and looked happy out there, by contrast pretty sure Davo would had been glad to come off as he put in a shift with fire extinguisher in hand. Højbjerg acknowledged our disapointment (probably mirroring his own) which turned the boos in to unanimous applause for him. Redmond replacing Boufal was understandable but in reality it was a wasted sub because quite frankly Redmond was pretty pants, I think his confidence is shot, a spin out with the nippers might actually do him a big favour. Also those questioning the fans calling for Gabbiadini, just about everyone except the bench could see that Long had run himself into the ground and was pretty much playing on vapour.

Taking Højbjerg off has to be the most baffling of all because anyone with half a brain can see he is becoming the hub of midfield, so much goes through him successfully.

Aside from the football the pork and leek hotdogs, whilst making you wince at the price, have to be by far the best tasting hotdogs I have had in a very long time: seeing Mrs JBS's vanish as fast as mine rubber stamps their billing. Stepping off the train in Basingstoke at 6:30 was quite a surprise too, normally takes that long getting home from a home game.

A win's a win - we're in the next round of a competition that's responsible for its fair share of banana skins. People understand that. But do tell me what about today's performance suggests our league fortunes are going to change anytime soon?

Silence....

Good bit of humour when we scored, about 5 minutes of fans bouncing around singing "we've scored a goal". Kept the chill out if anything.

Folks moaning about the booing when PEH was subbed it was a case of WTF. He had been playing well and looked happy out there, by contrast pretty sure Davo would had been glad to come off as he put in a shift with fire extinguisher in hand. Højbjerg acknowledged our disapointment (probably mirroring his own) which turned the boos in to unanimous applause for him. Redmond replacing Boufal was understandable but in reality it was a wasted sub because quite frankly Redmond was pretty pants, I think his confidence is shot, a spin out with the nippers might actually do him a big favour. Also those questioning the fans calling for Gabbiadini, just about everyone except the bench could see that Long had run himself into the ground and was pretty much playing on vapour.

Taking Højbjerg off has to be the most baffling of all because anyone with half a brain can see he is becoming the hub of midfield, so much goes through him successfully.

Aside from the football the pork and leek hotdogs, whilst making you wince at the price, have to be by far the best tasting hotdogs I have had in a very long time: seeing Mrs JBS's vanish as fast as mine rubber stamps their billing. Stepping off the train in Basingstoke at 6:30 was quite a surprise too, normally takes that long getting home from a home game.

Careful, you will be accused of being unhappy with a win - I agree with everything you have said. You do get a different perspective by actually being at the game.

A win's a win - we're in the next round of a competition that's responsible for its fair share of banana skins. People understand that. But do tell me what about today's performance suggests our league fortunes are going to change anytime soon?

Silence....

I win is great. I love an awayday to London, especially when we actually win and I'm already looking forward to the draw but the performance was woeful. Woeful.

If anything, today's performance merely did more to illustrate just how big a mess we are in with the current manager in charge.

This.

I don’t doubt it - but would you take the risk on someone new to the premierships with an away day to Stoke on an icy Monday? Puel has shown that with better tools / experience under the belt, a seemingly poor manager can deliver good results. QED, we need to fix the team.

Perhaps I am wrong, I just feel if we stagger from manager to manager on the knee jerk of the ‘wisdom of the crowd’, then we will become a cropper. If not this year, then soon.

I don’t doubt it - but would you take the risk on someone new to the premierships with an away day to Stoke on an icy Monday? Puel has shown that with better tools / experience under the belt, a seemingly poor manager can deliver good results. QED, we need to fix the team.

Perhaps I am wrong, I just feel if we stagger from manager to manager on the knee jerk of the ‘wisdom of the crowd’, then we will become a cropper. If not this year, then soon.

Apologies - this was meant to be in response to Benji.

I win is great. I love an awayday to London, especially when we actually win and I'm already looking forward to the draw but the performance was woeful. Woeful.

If anything, today's performance merely did more to illustrate just how big a mess we are in with the current manager in charge.

Agreed great day out ruined again by that idiot.....subs were ridiculous again.

Fulham were shockingly bad.

Hoj and Romeu good Long ran his socks off a win is good but jeesh we are sh1t.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Telegraph focus on the hostile attitude of the visiting fans towards Pellegrino in this match report...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/06/fulham-0-southampton-1-james-ward-prowse-strikes-ease-pressure/

This seems a little unfair on the visiting supporters. They were audibly supportive throughout. I felt sorry for Lemina when he came on to boos but I presume this was a reaction to Pellegrino taking the excellent Hojberg off rather than Lemina coming on. You could also hear the you don’t know what you’re doing chant on the telly.

The reaction was most definitely for Hojbjerg coming off because he'd been our best player, and many remembered what happened only days ago when he was stupidly subbed against Palace. He got the loudest applause of any player when he came over to us at the end.

No one had in issue with Lemina coming on, just that it should have been for Davis. Aside from that our fans were decent and sang quite a lot to support the team.

Redmond was utter pants when he came on, took over 5 minutes before he actually completed a pass to a teammate, seemingly he prefers picking out the opposition players or the advertisement hoardings rather than someone in the same colour shirt.

Overall we did ok. A potentially tough game that before hand many (including myself) thought we'd struggle to come away with anything from.

Bednarek did ok and kept Sessignon relatively quiet, although this was at the detriment of us having many meaningful attacks down the right. Totally understandable as he isn't a RB and was probably worried about getting caught out of position and leaving space in behind.

Nothing's changed in regards Fulham's support since we last played there. Completely woeful, I think they only sang once in the whole game.

I didn't hear any booing of Pellegrino or chanting towards him during the match other than expressing bemusement at the substitutions for taking PEH & Bouffal off, and bringing Redmond on, then the delay in taking the obviously knackered Long off for Gabbiadini.

Perhaps this is more of a reflection of the modern era cyber type supporter though who vent their ire on mongboards rather than on the terraces and in the stands. Remember the protests against Branfoot, and even poor old Chris Nicholl.... tell that to kids today and they won't believe you...

Before the game we noticed a few of he players looked a little disinterested during the warm ups, Gabbiadini for one.

Redmond came out of the tunnel to warm up, and he looked to the supporters expecting some applause, looking unimpressed when none came his way. At the end of the match leaving the field he was walking a couple of paces near Gabbiadini whose name was being chanted. Again NR just seemed to look straight at the tunnel or to the ground offering no acknowledgement to the fans in return.

Agreed. All the more reason why we should make the right selection when we have to, rather than just whose available.

Of course the reverse of thsi is if we do get someone who fits and then performs we can't keep him.

Before the game we noticed a few of he players looked a little disinterested during the warm ups, Gabbiadini for one.

Redmond came out of the tunnel to warm up, and he looked to the supporters expecting some applause, looking unimpressed when none came his way. At the end of the match leaving the field he was walking a couple of paces near Gabbiadini whose name was being chanted. Again NR just seemed to look straight at the tunnel or to the ground offering no acknowledgement to the fans in return.

Gabbiadini looked livid at the end, shaking his head walking off - not sure if it was with himself for the glaring miss or just ****ed off with only getting on for a few minutes. Think NR is making a point of not acknowledging the fans after the booing.

Never forget that Sir Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack in his first season.

It is very harsh to judge a manager on somebody else's team.

Goal diff suggests we will be safe, it is invariably an amazingly accurate indicator of final league positions.

I have just one question to the Pellegrino out fans - who do you bring in that is a guaranteed safe pair of hands.

I can't see anyone at the moment.

The problem is we can't score more than one a game if we are lucky, and we are very capable of shipping a few every week.

So I wouldn't be too confident in our current situation.

Absolutely agree.

Normally you talk sense, but I can't agree with you on this.

This victory, probably, reduces the prospect of the manager being sacked. That increases our chances of relegation imo.

The victory at Fulham = small picture. Staying up = big picture. I know which one I'm looking at.

A win is a win and we're into the next round of the cup, but we're not going to win the thing this season, and with the predicament we're in in the league, we could really do without it. Still, no replay will help and every fibre of my being wants this win to give the players confidence, but I thought that after the Everton game and nothing changed.

Fulham were crap, let's be straight here. They misplaced so many passes, smashed shots high into the stands, they were a shambles, and my Fulham supporting mate that I was with said that's the worst he'd seen them in ages. It makes a change for us to be the better team on the pitch. That was my first visit to Craven Cottage, and I liked it, a nice walk from the Tube station, friendly staff. I had a burger from that Veterans place at the start of the park, that was a cracking burger. :lol: We also had ample room in the neutral blocks, it was far from a sell out. Saints fans though, huge applause for you lot, I don't think you stopped all game and I could barely hear the Fulham fans.

Hoj should have scored, and I celebrated Stephens crossbar hit as a goal, but the JWP goal aside I don't remember much goal action for us - although Gabbiadini's miss at the end came from some decent play by Lemina and I think a sharper Gabbi would have buried that. My MOTM was Hojbjerg and even I was surprised he came off. (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised by it considering who our manager is...) I also think Romeu and Davis had decent games, and Long worked his ******** off. Honourable mention to Bednarek too who kept Sessegnon quiet in an unfamiliar position.

Watford next, and another must win...

Completely agree with this. A lot of the posters on here would rather be negative, hoping that they'll get that "I told you so" moment rather than actually get behind their club and their team.

The Skates posters take advantage of this to stir things up more - good sport for them since they've got no meaningful team of their own anymore.

Completely agree with this. A lot of the posters on here would rather be negative, hoping that they'll get that "I told you so" moment rather than actually get behind their club and their team.

The Skates posters take advantage of this to stir things up more - good sport for them since they've got no meaningful team of their own anymore.

How many skates posters are on here pal? And i don’t mean the ones in your fevered little imagination.

How many skates posters are on here pal? And i don’t mean the ones in your fevered little imagination.

You really think there are none ? Ah, bless !!!

The whole Pellegrino out, Les Reed out, Ralph out, have a go at Tadic, Foster, Redmond, JWP etc, etc. cobblers that's spouted on here and all the associated infighting are Skates' wet dreams come true.

Be extremely naive to think that there aren't a few of them on here giving those bandwagons a good old nudge from time to time and stirring things up amongst our fanbase.

I do agree with Lord Ducky that the main problem with the overwhelming negativity on this site at the moment is the desire of a lot of posters to have their uninformed opinions that they have proclaimed to the world as self-evident facts "proved right" and that, at times, this overrides their desire to see Saints do well. Manna from heaven for your cheeky Skate looking to sow bit of discord.

Reflections on the day:

Great day out. Excellent Saints support - loudest sustained noise I've heard for a while, and way better than at St Mary's.

Overall a comfortable win, with only a couple of scares. Fulham weren't poor, but they weren't strong opposition either. We had several chances to put the game to bed - Stephens header against the bar, Hojbjerg shot saved, pen not given, Gabbiadini bad miss.

Won't bother with all player ratings but a few mentions:

Bedarnek did ok out of position.

Defence generally pretty secure, looks better in front of McCarthy. Not sure Bertrand is giving 100%.

Hojbjerg, JWP and Romeu good. Nice moments from Boufal and signs that he's learning to stop, look and think.

Typical shift from Long and unlucky with the disallowed goal.

Decent game from Davis, but not his best. Nowhere near as bad as some are trying to suggest. He held up the ball to create our goal.

Gabbiadini - Rusty and frustrated. He needs time on the pitch. Lemina doesn't seem the player we saw in his first games. Is he still carrying an injury?

Redmond poor.

Manager: usual subs by numbers. No apparent ability to make proactive changes. Should have been Gabbiadini for Long earlier, Lemina for Davis, not Hojbjerg and either leave Boufal on or give Sims a run. Redmond is not the answer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

From where we were the “don’t know what your doing” chant was directed at the manager because Shane Long was blowing out of his a hole and was signalling to come off. If he would have come off first the Hojberg 5mins later then all would have been ok.

By the way, good day out as normal in Fulham.

Before the game we noticed a few of he players looked a little disinterested during the warm ups, Gabbiadini for one..

What struck me was the way Gabbiadini was shaking his head the whole time on his walk back to the tunnel, not a happy chap!

Can I also give a thumbs up to those who suggested the Eight Bells pub near the Putney Bridge tube. Great atmosphere and good beer.

As someone who still loves the cups really chuffed to have gotten through that, thought we'd lose TBH but we didn't look too bad. Thought Long took his 'goal' pretty well too even if it didn't count.

MP as per usual only played 1 up front, why doesn't he at least try 2 up front from the start in a game or two and see how it goes? He's got such a fixed mindset, no plan B whatsoever.

Anyway it sounds like the club are going to stick with him so what will be will be, I'd prefer him gone but we're stuck with him so let's hope we can get at least get a little cup run and survive in the league (which is now a coin toss for me).

What struck me was the way Gabbiadini was shaking his head the whole time on his walk back to the tunnel, not a happy chap!

Can I also give a thumbs up to those who suggested the Eight Bells pub near the Putney Bridge tube. Great atmosphere and good beer.

Yes. I think Gabbiadini was doubly frustrated. With more time on the pitch against that defence, he'd have had good chances. The problem is, he's getting 5/10 mins at the of games replacing Long, when we've inevitably dropped back to hang on to (or more likely lose) a game, so he's an isolated single striker - a role Long plays well but Gabbiadini doesn't. He functions best when we're on the front foot with the creative players hopefully setting him up. There's an argument, particularly at home, for starting with Gabbiadini and using Long's pace later.

And the second reason for frustration was that he fluffed the chance he got. A goal then would have put him back on MP's radar and boosted his confidence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk