Scoring 2 or more goals

benjii

It's not just the lack of goals, it's the lack of attempts.

People get simplistic and moan about strikers but we just don 't create. We don't have forwards missing chances every week. In previous seasons we did see loads of misses, yet we'd still put 2/3/4 past a fair few sides.

We just sit back. When we score early, like palace, brighton, Arsenal, huddersfield, you know that's it. No second goal is coming, we'll barely test the keeper. It's such a horrible, cynical, negative approach to sport and most important, it doesn't work.

Just to put that in context we have had exactly the same number of attempts on target as Burnley 72 and more than Everton or Watford

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att?se=79

Just to put that in context we have had exactly the same number of attempts on target as Burnley 72 and more than Everton or Watford

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/ontarget_scoring_att?se=79

Burnley aren’t a side i’d have down as creating a great deal of chances, they don’t try to, and it works. Everton have just gone two or three games without a shot on target haven’t they? So a bit of a skewed stat. The Watford one is a surprise, mind. But we definitely don’t create anywhere near enough, last season I felt like we could blame a goalless game on a player missing a sitter most weeks. This season we don’t even miss.

Burnley aren’t a side i’d have down as creating a great deal of chances, they don’t try to, and it works. Everton have just gone two or three games without a shot on target haven’t they? So a bit of a skewed stat. The Watford one is a surprise, mind. But we definitely don’t create anywhere near enough, last season I felt like we could blame a goalless game on a player missing a sitter most weeks. This season we don’t even miss.

Yeah but look were Burnley are in the league the difference is they can defend and keep clean sheets and as a result are flying high this season. you don't need lots of chances to do well but you need to take the ones you do get which we don't.

Edited by doddisalegend

Also we're actually 8th highest on shots - so sorry benji it's not a problem of creating chances, it's a question of ability (or if you're being kind - form) Moan about the manager s much as you like and of course he takes a lot of the blame but make sure you direct a large chunk of your anger at the players

Our conversion rate of shots to goals is poor again this season (not quite as bad as last season this time we are only 4th from bottom rather than bottom) interesting that Leicester have the best conversion rate in the league (could it be the difference between a good manager and a bad one is having effective strikers..)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2017/plus/1

Our conversion rate of shots to goals is poor again this season (not quite as bad as last season this time we are only 4th from bottom rather than bottom) interesting that Leicester have the best conversion rate in the league (could it be the difference between a good manager and a bad one is having effective strikers..)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2017/plus/1

My mind might be playing tricks on me but I remember us creating more clear-cut chances last season.

My mind might be playing tricks on me but I remember us creating more clear-cut chances last season.

the premier league official stats have us down as missing 34 "big chances" last season

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed?se=54

So far this season they reckon we've missed 21 "big chances"

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed?se=79

So I reckon over the whole of this season it will be about the same number of big misses over both seasons. The over ridding theme of the last two season seems to be, regardless of manager, the attacking players in the squad just aren't doing enough with the chances they do get. This season we seem to have coupled that with being a shambles at the back which is a toxic combination.

Also we're actually 8th highest on shots - so sorry benji it's not a problem of creating chances, it's a question of ability (or if you're being kind - form) Moan about the manager s much as you like and of course he takes a lot of the blame but make sure you direct a large chunk of your anger at the players

There have been a number of matches where we have taken the lead after a first half barrage of shots and then barely mustered an attack I'm the second half.

You're right that a lot of our players have been playing sub-par but we have been far too passive once leading in a lot of games and that has to come down to the manager. Either: i) that's what he wants; or ii) it's the players fault but he's unable to get them to change.

Either way, we can't change half a team in January so our only chance of improvement looks like getting rid of the manager.

No no no no no, we have an ‘amazing squad’ according to people on here. Leave the players alone!!!!!!!!!