Owen The Saints Blog

OwenTheSaints

Some of us can't go to the ground and experience the atmosphere, so this is the best we get.

Even the badly shot videos people do on their phone are better than some weirdo filming his face and pulling moronic expressions for a "vlog", i'm glad he's never anywhere near me when he films them at games as i don't want to be filmed so some little narcissist can get likes on youtube.

‪Ralph’s first 3 games: ‬

‪[emoji736] Beat a Top 6 team.‬

‪[emoji736] Beat a relegation rival. ‬

‪[emoji736] Win at home.‬

‪[emoji736] Win away. ‬

‪[emoji736] Win two consecutive games.‬

‪[emoji736] Score 3 in two consecutive games.‬

‪Merry Christmas Saints fans! [emoji319][emoji1335][emoji837]️‬

‪Match Vlog: https://youtu.be/tDDL2Xw7G-0‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always knew we had arguably the worst / most mongs fan base in the UK (only slightly ahead of the Americans in terms of cringe), but then I stumped across your twitter and I couldn’t believe what I was watching. People like you are what has ruined the experience of going to a modern day PL game, imo.

Also, not sure why anyone would get enjoyment out of watching this nonsense either, but each to their own I suppose.

Lay-off him. It’s up to him how he supports Saints, you don’t have to watch it. At least he doesn’t want the opposition to win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree. I bet if he was shyt faced wearing some stone island/Lyle and Scott, singing about smashing some Pompey fans head in.... he was be applauded

Edited by Batman

I always knew we had arguably the worst / most mongs fan base in the UK (only slightly ahead of the Americans in terms of cringe), but then I stumped across your twitter and I couldn’t believe what I was watching. People like you are what has ruined the experience of going to a modern day PL game, imo.

Also, not sure why anyone would get enjoyment out of watching this nonsense either, but each to their own I suppose.

Why do you have to be so abusive?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I don’t respond to criticism often, but I have received a lot of threats and abuse over the past week so I might as well comment. First and foremost, I don’t do it for myself, it’s work I do for a platform called 90Min Football - it’s a big opportunity that I’m very thankful for and it has rewarded me with a lot. However, I decided to start my own YouTube channel using the same footage, making it easily accessible to Saints fans - and it has been very well received, and is growing. I don’t care much for statistics, however my latest video has almost 2K views, 102 likes and 0 dislikes - I must be doing something right. As Sergei said, it is proving popular especially with those unable to attend games. Maybe I would enjoy the game more without a phone in hand, but it’s very rewarding sharing the match day experience with appreciative people. I know there’s a stigma with the modern football fan, but having my phone recording doesn’t stop me singing and cheering at the top of my voice, doing all I can to support the lads, home and away. The abuse and threats I’ve received on Twitter I personally don’t think are warranted. No one is forced to watch the videos, me recording isn’t distracting during games, and people appreciate the perspective. Thanks to those who do support what I do.

Ignore them mate. Unless you sing anti-Pompey songs in an 80s terrace lad style... you ain’t no fan apparently

You go to many games home and away and given the dog shyt on offer from the team until now , you should be given a medal, not grief

Except he doesn't pay for his ticket and gets paid to do it, plus he's taking a ticket away from someone that wouldn't stand there with a camera filming their face and also the people around them that probably don't want filming.

Except he doesn't pay for his ticket and gets paid to do it, plus he's taking a ticket away from someone that wouldn't stand there with a camera filming their face and also the people around them that probably don't want filming.

Ticket and travel are covered, however I am not paid to do it. Probably doesn’t make a difference to you but I’m certainly not in this for money. I’m not recording the entire game. Not once has anyone ever taken issue with what I’m doing at a game, in fact people often join in.

I don’t respond to criticism often, but I have received a lot of threats and abuse over the past week so I might as well comment. First and foremost, I don’t do it for myself, it’s work I do for a platform called 90Min Football - it’s a big opportunity that I’m very thankful for and it has rewarded me with a lot. However, I decided to start my own YouTube channel using the same footage, making it easily accessible to Saints fans - and it has been very well received, and is growing. I don’t care much for statistics, however my latest video has almost 2K views, 102 likes and 0 dislikes - I must be doing something right. As Sergei said, it is proving popular especially with those unable to attend games. Maybe I would enjoy the game more without a phone in hand, but it’s very rewarding sharing the match day experience with appreciative people. I know there’s a stigma with the modern football fan, but having my phone recording doesn’t stop me singing and cheering at the top of my voice, doing all I can to support the lads, home and away. The abuse and threats I’ve received on Twitter I personally don’t think are warranted. No one is forced to watch the videos, me recording isn’t distracting during games, and people appreciate the perspective. Thanks to those who do support what I do.

That seems to be the key point. Football is something that many cannot afford or attend as much as they would like (myself included), using modern methods to chronicle games and the atmosphere of being home and away seems a very logical progression and I find it quite interesting.

By being the person to do this in a fairly visible way you will sadly be vulnerable to this kind of daft abuse. A feeling of 'well, if you are happy to put your face out there, you are fair game.' It is not right and I hope it doesn't stop you from doing something that you clearly enjoy, and as shown by the statistics others clearly enjoy too.

As a comment, I hope the videos do not entirely supersede the written work you have previously produced which I find it easier to take in (videos are not always convenient to view, especially when time is limited.)

Edited by Colinjb

he's not wrong though is he?

Yes, he is wrong, on so many levels. Do we really have the 'worst / most mongs fans in the UK'? Do we? Is a guy with a camera at the game really causing you so much of an issue, really is he? So what really is the difference between the much revered old school fans and modern day premiere league fans of today?

I was at Huddersfield the other day, a lady, must have been at least 65, was helped by a steward to her seat in Row A in front of me before the game. She sat down and a little while later turned round and asked me to take a photo of her in her Santa hat, perhaps the 'old school' fan in me should've told her to sit down and not be such a mong.

There really is no need to be rude or ignorant of fans who may want a slightly different match experience to your own - a little bit of tolerance is all it takes.

If you read back through this thread Owen has explained his very good reasons for being involved with 90Min, and I think a lot of young people would jump at the chance to do what he does, given the perks of the job.

So was there really any need to be abusive? No. If SKD didn't like it, why watch it, switch it off - move on.

Oh, did I tell the lady to **** off. No I politely took two photos for her, handed her phone back and made idle chit chat for 2 minutes. Then I moved on.

Good on you, hope doing this leads to bigger things for you and you can stick two fingers up at the keyboard warriors.

Fair enough that its not for you. Its not for me either, but its 100% harmless and does not bother me in the slightest.

Reality is that over the last 30 years following any PL team has changed, just like most things in life change.

It will never be how you want it to be, or how it was and in some cases that is probably for the better.

In this specific case, it does absolutely no harm and I tend to watch the game more than I watch other supporters.

That seems to be the key point. Football is something that many cannot afford or attend as much as they would like (myself included), using modern methods to chronicle games and the atmosphere of being home and away seems a very logical progression and I find it quite interesting.

By being the person to do this in a fairly visible way you will sadly be vulnerable to this kind of daft abuse. A feeling of 'well, if you are happy to put your face out there, you are fair game.' It is not right and I hope it doesn't stop you from doing something that you clearly enjoy, and as shown by the statistics others clearly enjoy too.

As a comment, I hope the videos do not entirely supersede the written work you have previously produced which I find it easier to take in (videos are not always convenient to view, especially when time is limited.)

Thank you for putting this in words better than I ever could. I am in a very fortunate position, and that is why I feel it should be shared with as many as people as possible. I am aware that I am putting myself in this position and abuse is inevitable, I can take that, however I must admit some online comments have recently made me concerned about my safety at matches (probably needlessly). For now, I intend to carry on as normal as I have never had any trouble at a match. In terms of my blog, I am currently down to monthly blog posts which i will carry on for the season. This is purely down to how little time I have thanks to third year of university. It takes 20 minutes to edit a vlog compared to the 3-4 hours I’d spend on a post. After I’ve graduated, it is my full intention to go back to the blog and write a post after every game. [emoji4]

Yes, he is wrong, on so many levels. Do we really have the 'worst / most mongs fans in the UK'? Do we? Is a guy with a camera at the game really causing you so much of an issue, really is he? So what really is the difference between the much revered old school fans and modern day premiere league fans of today?

I was at Huddersfield the other day, a lady, must have been at least 65, was helped by a steward to her seat in Row A in front of me before the game. She sat down and a little while later turned round and asked me to take a photo of her in her Santa hat, perhaps the 'old school' fan in me should've told her to sit down and not be such a mong.

There really is no need to be rude or ignorant of fans who may want a slightly different match experience to your own - a little bit of tolerance is all it takes.

If you read back through this thread Owen has explained his very good reasons for being involved with 90Min, and I think a lot of young people would jump at the chance to do what he does, given the perks of the job.

So was there really any need to be abusive? No. If SKD didn't like it, why watch it, switch it off - move on.

Oh, did I tell the lady to **** off. No I politely took two photos for her, handed her phone back and made idle chit chat for 2 minutes. Then I moved on.

“Do we really have the worst/most mong fans in the country?”

Yes

I could not care less if he gets tickets/travel paid for.

I was stood near you at Burnley away season before last I think, and at Huddersfield, and it is pretty irritating to hear someone talking to themselves for the majority of the game. Each to their own though and it's none of my business to get involved, but don't be surprised if your phone ends up across the other side of the stand one day by some tanked up moron.

Owen, I echo the sentiments of the posters defending you above, as I think I indicated in a previous post. I find your videos entertaining, and as an American, they are the best I can watch in terms of getting somewhat close to the live experience. For you locals, I don't think many of you appreciate how annoying it is to have to watch almost every game on TV.

However, I would suggest that perhaps you include more footage in your vlogs of the camera facing the other direction. That is, capturing the reactions of all the fans, not just mostly you and the few in the direct vicinity. It would also make it easier to experience the atmosphere for your viewers. I understand that isn't in line with the 90Min format, but would it be possible for your personal vlogs? Also, I for one would find it more enjoyable if you were to record more of the crowd singing, rather than mostly reactions at pivotal moments in the match.

Just my thoughts, feel free to take them into consideration or ignore them if you wish. Thanks for what you do!

everything that is wrong with modern football

Are you one of the middle aged men that frequent the Kingsland, the 80’s were their prime, when men were men and supporters knew how to support their teams. The couldn’t get into this Vlog stuff even if they wanted to, because it involves watching the match for 90 mins . They pop to the bar 10 mins before half time, come back 5 mins into the second half and then leave when the 4th official puts the board up.

The honeymoon period is over.

Match Vlog:

https://youtu.be/zWhVDfA6vZ8

Okay so I’m not a lover of Vlog or all that nonsense but after the grief you go that week decided to watch this all the way through.

What I will say is you do talk a bit of sense on your video and see the game is a fair and reasonable manner. I watched it on telly and agree with many of your comment so credit where it’s due.

However I really don’t see why anyone would watch it. It all seems totally pointless to watch a lad in his kid twenties video himself giving commentary on a few incidents during the game. Really don’t see what the point of it all is and why people would sit through 10 minutes of that when they can see the goals on other social media outlets.

As I say I think you have half a clue about what’s

Going on on the pitch which is more than can be said for 80% of the others in the ground but what you’re doing is pointless however if it makes you happy then who are we to judge.

Are you one of the middle aged men that frequent the Kingsland, the 80’s were their prime, when men were men and supporters knew how to support their teams. The couldn’t get into this Vlog stuff even if they wanted to, because it involves watching the match for 90 mins . They pop to the bar 10 mins before half time, come back 5 mins into the second half and then leave when the 4th official puts the board up.

No.

That's some fantastic "whataboutery", so you think because i don't like some freak filming his face all game (and by default filming others around him who might not want to be filmed) i wouldn't take a photo for an old dear at a game who wants one taking?

Get off your morale high horse for a minute and realise that one doesn't equate the other. I have no issues whatsoever with that, hell i'd probably take the photo for her myself, i mean yeah i found the Santa hats cringeworthy and wouldn't wear one myself but it's not the same as literally filming other fans without their permission so you can indulge in narcissism and take a seat from someone who wouldn't do it.

I mean this nipper is a full grown adult and filmed himself "crying" at the Cardiff game. A game not even half way through the f*cking season and he was fake crying for likes.

As for the people saying it helps experience the atmosphere, i'd love to know how?

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

If you don’t understand it, doesn’t mean others don’t enjoy it. My son watches videos of people playing video games, I don’t understand it but I just don’t watch it or get all angry and judgemental about those who do.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

If you don’t understand it, doesn’t mean others don’t enjoy it. My son watches videos of people playing video games, I don’t understand it but I just don’t watch it or get all angry and judgemental about those who do.

You appear to be mistaking Saintsweb for a tolerant and pragmatic forum where people don't get their knickers in a twist over someone doing something they enjoy.

Lady Trousers doesn't get why anyone gets pleasure out of watching 22 overpaid egotistical men trying to kick a ball between two sticks for 90 minutes - she reckons it's "pointless"... Each to their own I guess...

• 7 months later...
An apology and explanation for my disappearance midway through last season.

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/07/what-happened-to-owen-the-saints/

Hi Owen,

First of all, large congratulations on your Degree success. Nice one!

Cheers for the candid update regarding your blog/vlog. It's a shame that the vocal minority have the greatest impact on things like this but, alas, that's social media for you...

I enjoyed watching your videos but will enjoy reading your blog during the coming season

Cheers

Hi Owen,

First of all, large congratulations on your Degree success. Nice one!

Cheers for the candid update regarding your blog/vlog. It's a shame that the vocal minority have the greatest impact on things like this but, alas, that's social media for you...

I enjoyed watching your videos but will enjoy reading your blog during the coming season

Cheers

Thank you so much for your support Trousers! I’m pleased you enjoyed the vlogs, I honestly would have loved to have continued them for people like yourself, but it was becoming too much. I hope you enjoy my posts this season!

Sad that so many people gave you abuse for something that really effects them in no way. If I was sat near you I'd probably join in. All the best in your future stuff, I personally enjoyed the vlogs. All the best.

Thank you, really appreciate that and am so glad you enjoyed them!

An apology and explanation for my disappearance midway through last season.

https://owenthesaintsblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/07/what-happened-to-owen-the-saints/

Congratulations on gaining your degree Owen, a great effort.

Further to Trousers post, it is a shame that you felt you had to quit the videos but totally understandable.

Sadly every club has this type so called "fans" who have such little intelligence they think these actions are normal and don't realise they are just pathetic losers who need to get a life, its sad really but thankfully they are in the minority

I look forward to the blogs and wish you all the best for the future

Congratulations on gaining your degree Owen, a great effort.

Further to Trousers post, it is a shame that you felt you had to quit the videos but totally understandable.

Sadly every club has this type so called "fans" who have such little intelligence they think these actions are normal and don't realise they are just pathetic losers who need to get a life, its sad really but thankfully they are in the minority

I look forward to the blogs and wish you all the best for the future

The problem with Vlogs is you're filming other people's faces without their permission too, it's not really a surprise people don't like them. Maybe set up a separate area away from other fans for people that want to do it and then they'd get less grief.

The problem with Vlogs is you're filming other people's faces without their permission too, it's not really a surprise people don't like them. Maybe set up a separate area away from other fans for people that want to do it and then they'd get less grief.

I'm not sure what the laws are in the UK but in Canada you don't need permission if you are filming in a public space and the subject(s) have no real expectation of privacy.