Chris Marsden

Dusic

? well-done nice trip down memory lane. However I will see your CMFG and raise you Fabrice Fernandez aka crop circles. Had one trick that absolutely baffled opponents and was so wonderful in its simple predictableness. Would love someone to find a video of his trademark move. God bless the limited try hard entertainers.

Chris Marsden was a terrific player. He reminded me of Brian O'Neill. Neither of them played for England but they were Saints stalwarts and they really made our team tick. Steven Davis, much maligned on here, has similar qualities, but, at 33, he is coming towards the end of his career now. I've always liked those 'salt of the earth' players. Of course, you also need the classy ones, like Channon, Le Tissier and Mane. Our current squad seems to lack both. We've got a lot of uninspiring, fair to middling players but no Marsdens, O'Neills or Cases and certainly no Le Tissiers, Channons or Manes. With all the money that was available, we should have a much better squad than the anaemic one we've been left with now. Most posters on here could have bought and sold more wisely than our club has in the last 2 years.

Chris Marsden was a terrific player. He reminded me of Brian O'Neill. Neither of them played for England but they were Saints stalwarts and they really made our team tick. Steven Davis, much maligned on here, has similar qualities, but, at 33, he is coming towards the end of his career now. I've always liked those 'salt of the earth' players. Of course, you also need the classy ones, like Channon, Le Tissier and Mane. Our current squad seems to lack both. We've got a lot of uninspiring, fair to middling players but no Marsdens, O'Neills or Cases and certainly no Le Tissiers, Channons or Manes. With all the money that was available, we should have a much better squad than the anaemic one we've been left with now. Most posters on here could have bought and sold more wisely than our club has in the last 2 years.

Congratulations on managing turn that into a dig at the club - top effort.

- Scorer of the most uncomfortable looking worldie of all time...

- Most unlikely successful wide-player in PL history...

- Selected purely to facilitate a left back to get forward...

- Football Genius. Mazza.

2d2c5019e3594789f9ab891ee6c4be33.jpg0e1e6415abc9155db0f65791afa20eb4.jpg

Even his face when celebrating was brilliant - cracking player.

Signed from Birmingham reserves....when Brum were a league below us IIRC?

Seem to remember a few moans about us signing a player who couldn't even get a game for them!

Turned out to be a hero. Loved him in the team. We could do with someone like him now.

Always remember us playing Man U last day of August 2003, second half Fergie brought on some Portuguese nipper he had bought in the summer by the name of Christiano Ronaldo. Confident little chap, got the ball and proceeded to run down the wing doing a silly amount of step overs and other cleverness. Le Saux picked his moment and up ended him.

WGS brought on CMFG to tighten stuff up, Ronaldo once again got the ball and once again was re enacting Riverdance better than Michael Flatley down the wing, ball at his feet. Le Saux was already on a warning so backing up or off, but from midfield this bald headed Exocet launched himself on a diagonal trajectory across the pitch, poor Christiano probably didn't see him coming, still flat out Marsden put both ball and player into touch. Being the Gent that he was CMFG followed Ronaldo, bent down and offered him hand to get him to his feet, also looked like he was having a word in his young ear. Given that Ronaldo pretty much vanished from the game after that you could guess the message from Chris was "Ok you've had your fun, we'll have no more of that nonsense this afternoon".

Met him by chance at the Hilton the day after we beat Liverpool 2-0 we were on separate tables in the lounge area, whoever he was with and my boss had just vanished off, so we had a brief chat, my boss came back and continued our meeting. When we finished and got up to leave, Chris got up from his table came over shook my hand and said cheerio. Even as a grown man I had a grin on my face probably all the way home.

Always remember us playing Man U last day of August 2003, second half Fergie brought on some Portuguese nipper he had bought in the summer by the name of Christiano Ronaldo. Confident little chap, got the ball and proceeded to run down the wing doing a silly amount of step overs and other cleverness. Le Saux picked his moment and up ended him.

WGS brought on CMFG to tighten stuff up, Ronaldo once again got the ball and once again was re enacting Riverdance better than Michael Flatley down the wing, ball at his feet. Le Saux was already on a warning so backing up or off, but from midfield this bald headed Exocet launched himself on a diagonal trajectory across the pitch, poor Christiano probably didn't see him coming, still flat out Marsden put both ball and player into touch. Being the Gent that he was CMFG followed Ronaldo, bent down and offered him hand to get him to his feet, also looked like he was having a word in his young ear. Given that Ronaldo pretty much vanished from the game after that you could guess the message from Chris was "Ok you've had your fun, we'll have no more of that nonsense this afternoon".

Met him by chance at the Hilton the day after we beat Liverpool 2-0 we were on separate tables in the lounge area, whoever he was with and my boss had just vanished off, so we had a brief chat, my boss came back and continued our meeting. When we finished and got up to leave, Chris got up from his table came over shook my hand and said cheerio. Even as a grown man I had a grin on my face probably all the way home.

I saw that too. Never forgotten . It was the diagonal run from the other side of the pitch that got me. Be afraid very afraid

Great player for us, had a brilliant understanding with Wayne Bridge. CMFG would receive the ball and pass it on to WB without looking up, he always seemed to know where he'd be.

Signed from Birmingham reserves....when Brum were a league below us IIRC?

Seem to remember a few moans about us signing a player who couldn't even get a game for them!

Turned out to be a hero. Loved him in the team. We could do with someone like him now.

The fabled Black Box worked wonders in those days unearthing unknown talents.

Oh wait, it hadn't even been invented back then.

Fabrice Fernandez

I was sat in with the home fans when he scored that excellent equaliser up at OT against United back in 2002. I remember all the Irish moaning like hell when that flew in. Another late goal sunk us that day.

I don't remember him doing much else tbh.

CMFG did strike up an almost telepathic relationship with that young left back, can't think of his name.

But would they have bought anywhere near as well in the 4-5 years before then?

Let's not forget that club's wanting our players is a glowing endorsement of our recruitment/development and there's very little anyone can do vs player power these days

Also I loved Marsden as much as the next guy but the there's some serious rose-tinting going on here and beyond this thread - "could do with someone like that now"...