Watford v Saints - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

2-0 up at HT, come out and park the bus in the second half, give the lead away and then wait till the 92nd minute to use your subs?!?! Make that Pellegrino's last team talk! ABSOLUTE CLUELESS ****!!!! #PellegrinoOut

If the clown doesn't get fired tonight - the board are happy for us to get relegated is the only conclusion I can come to. I would get O'Neil and Keane in ASAP (surely we are a better proposition than Stoke?). Yea, I get the Keane gesture etc. but we need a hard c**t like him and he would be our HC!

What in living jesus is McCarthy doing for the 2nd? I mean come on, he's supposed to be a goalkeeper. How have we managed to lumber ourselves with two keepers who can't keep goal.

d0dd361a-3e29-42e4-915c-1856dc579e5b.jpg

Maybe they're coached to not use their hands. More innovative thinking. The Southampton Way.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Today feels like a defeat now, a point away isn't the end of the world, but with many of the other teams fighting relegation getting points including wins, the table is looking scary now. That will do our confidence no good and we're already at rock bottom, and Spurs up next. :(

If the clown doesn't get fired tonight - the board are happy for us to get relegated is the only conclusion I can come to. I would get O'Neil and Keane in ASAP (surely we are a better proposition than Stoke?). Yea, I get the Keane gesture etc. but we need a hard c**t like him and he would be our HC!

Roy Keane is not welcome here under any circumstances

Sat back too much 2nd half.

The lack of a trusted centre half on the bench cost us too, as we should have gone 3 at the back once Deeny came on. That would also have resulted in Davis being substituted and so he wouldn't have been on the pitch to give the ball away for the first Watford goal.

If any pundit says "these things even themselves out" about the equaliser, I will fly back to England just too stalk and punch them.

Great first half though.

You can put your wallet away. Phil Thomson, Sky, was horrified and said "that why VAR is needed; a clear handball and the officials missed it."

Originally Posted by monosaint viewpost-right.png Let's take the positives. We could have capitulated very easily in the 2nd half but managed to weather the storm and it looks like we were robbed by a handball. We have moved up one place and are not in the bottom 3. Let's not forget we are very low on confidence and this would have been a result we'd have taken before the game. We move on. Negativity from us doesn't help.

I‘m going to take an infraction on the chin.

You’re a f**king idiot.

Seconded.

I get the outrage, but people are being incredibly unfair. The first half was spectacular for Saints. really terrific football. We were set back by an illegal goal. This is football. crap happens. It feels like mob-rule to pile-in and blame it all on the manager. the same that happened to Puel. Personally, I see lots of signs of the team getting stronger. Thrilled for JWP. He's getting better every game. Long has been superb too the last couple games.

We attribute way too much, good and bad, to the manager. Look what happened to our last 'great' manager Koeman. A losing run at a 'better' team.

Reverse the order of the halves today, and everyone's feeling a lot better. My vote would be give Pellegrino a few more games. I think we'll turn this round.

What in living jesus is McCarthy doing for the 2nd? I mean come on, he's supposed to be a goalkeeper. How have we managed to lumber ourselves with two keepers who can't keep goal.

Stephens and Hoedt, bambis on ice, hardly covered themselves in glory either. But shocking decision by the ref. VAR can't come soon enough.

I am just getting numb to this. Was out and heard we were 2-0 up, and just knew we would be lucky to get a point. It was so predictable that we would sit back and try and defend and then concede right at the end. Mope should gave gone a long long time ago but I have no hope that he will.

They say it is the hope that kills, well I have gone through that stage and entered the acceptance phase. Dreadful manager backed by a dreadful Board.

My vote would be give Pellegrino a few more games. I think we'll turn this round.

Remind me again, just how many games have we won this season?

Also maybe check out the form table, that turn around is a long time coming.

I get the outrage, but people are being incredibly unfair. The first half was spectacular for Saints. really terrific football. We were set back by an illegal goal. This is football. crap happens. It feels like mob-rule to pile-in and blame it all on the manager. the same that happened to Puel. Personally, I see lots of signs of the team getting stronger. Thrilled for JWP. He's getting better every game. Long has been superb too the last couple games.

We attribute way too much, good and bad, to the manager. Look what happened to our last 'great' manager Koeman. A losing run at a 'better' team.

Reverse the order of the halves today, and everyone's feeling a lot better. My vote would be give Pellegrino a few more games. I think we'll turn this round.

Bit of a pansy post for me. Time to wake up I think.

First half was ok, but we made the most of Watford not being there. Would have been a crime had we not won that 1st half.

There was nothing to admire and certainly no improvements to see in the 2nd half. Crap has been happening all season, this isn't something new. We have failed to beat Watford, Huddersfield, Burnley, Stoke, and Swansea. Not through 'illegal goals' or 'crap luck', it's through being coached and tactically managed by someone who is so clearly out of is depth that it's painful to watch.

Agreed. We have a decent squad. It's not the players, it's the way they are managed.

We have an 8th/9th squad. Problem is people see poor form, lack of confidence and just write players off, even if they've proved they can do it before.

The manager's job is getting the best out of his squad. I think any reasonable manager could have this squad top half, then you can talk about spending to improve it further. Christ, even a poor manager would have the squad clear of relegation. Taking this squad down is another level of embarrassing.

Thanks for better explaining the thoughts I couldn't be bothered to express due to my impending sense of doom. But yeah, that. :)

Another one

Useless Useless Useless - again the opposition change to 4 4 2 and he doesn't react - we sit back just like with Palace and same old story - you cannot do this game after game after game - I have had enough - MP is not a manager and he MUST BE SACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephens and Hoedt, bambis on ice, hardly covered themselves in glory either. But shocking decision by the ref. VAR can't come soon enough.

Feel the same, not too comfortable with those two at the back either. Need someone strong back there as they look lost when a team pressures us.

Feel the criticism of McCarthy is unbelievably unjust. I'll have to watch it again, but the movement of the ball on account of the handball was completely unpredictable, i.e. that still is not representative of how the ball reached that position. He had a cracking game, imo. But as above, I'd like to see it again.

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't have taken it before the game and I doubt that many others would have too.

Don't be a pratt. Of course I wanted us to win but understand the dynamics of football. I've supported Saints for over 60 years and have seen the highs and lows over that time, What I have learned is that the Fans' confidence is as much a part of the challenge as the Manager and Players.

Looking at replays McCarthy knew he wasn't going to get there with his head and was anticipating it going past the player..

He needed to come out and claim it anyway but I think thats the reason he looks a bit silly was due to the handball...

The TSN pundit said decoure realised he wouldn't get the header, and deliberately handled it in. So you can forgive McCarthy for expecting it to fly past him on his left.

Fine to give props for the first half, but surely that means you have to acknowledge the capitulation in the second, rather than putting it down to bad luck?

Feel the same, not too comfortable with those two at the back either. Need someone strong back there as they look lost when a team pressures us.

Think you are being harsh on Hoedt, he was actually battling and matching the physical stuff Watford piled on. Can't help him that he has Cedric, Bertrand and Stevens next too him who didn't impress me too much with that side of the game.

Undoubtedly a troll post.

Fine to give props for the first half, but surely that means you have to acknowledge the capitulation in the second, rather than putting it down to bad luck?

Capitulation? Or an impressive Watford comeback. There are two teams in it. We're about the same level. We're playing away from home. I saw a lot of determined defending, and that could have been the end result were it not for the illegal goal. then the narrative would have been, a superb, professionally earned away point.

McCarthy didn't even try to save the second goal because Doucoure hand balled it past him, he was as gobsmacked as everybody when the goal was allowed. Made some good saves, caught crosses good punch under pressure and is an improvement on the out of form Forster. The second goal was a disgrace.

It took to post 74 before anybody pinned the blame for the first goal on the right culprit. Step forward Steven Davis, under no pressure dithers on the ball turns one way then the other and tries to beat a man and loses the ball seconds later it's in the net. 100 caps and doesn't have the common sense to move the ball on, he had loads of time. I've made it plain my dislike of Davis, he is a liability and keeping Lamina on the bench for him was just another selection error. JWP, fair play to him, took his goals well with assists from Davis and Tadic. Long did really well with the spadework for both goals and was perhaps a little unlucky not to get a goal.

How many times have we let the opposition back in? Remember the times when being 2-0 up meant that was 3 points in the bag.

Les needs to call in on Lady Luck and buy some players who know how to play to win a game of football. Then maybe let the manager be the dominant figure in the football department and not just a part of a model that is no longer working.

Those pictures aren't showing the handball.

He misses it with his head coming in from his left, and then lifts it from in front of McCarthy past him with his right hand.

Utterly disgusting that it's been missed.

Exactly! I can only assume that's why people are having a dig at McCarthy - because they didn't watch it live and are relying on said picture.

Feel the criticism of McCarthy is unbelievably unjust. I'll have to watch it again, but the movement of the ball on account of the handball was completely unpredictable, i.e. that still is not representative of how the ball reached that position. He had a cracking game, imo. But as above, I'd like to see it again.

Not the best of videos and will probably be taken down soon, but....

I get the outrage, but people are being incredibly unfair. The first half was spectacular for Saints. really terrific football. We were set back by an illegal goal.

Wrong, we were set back by the first goal. Giving the ball away, letting them back in and not reacting effectively to the changes made by the opposition. We were very good first half, no doubt, but time and again this manager and these players cannot react to changes and cannot maintain momentum. Yes the equaliser was disgraceful, but it had been coming all half, if that hadn't gone in likely another one would. Still there do seem to be some small signs of improvement.

McCarthy is blameless for that. It was his ball and the striker had no legal body part available to score from there.

Yep. Possibly would have said that he got a bit lucky the header was missed, but can't blame him for not stopping the hand ball.