Watford v Saints - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

As they say, ‘it’s the hope that kills you’.

We were excellent first half and played like we did in the Koeman years I thought. Long and JWP were excellent especially. I even noticed Tadic fall over a couple of times and get straight back up without complaining!

The second half was back to Pellegrino’s usual nonsense with the usual outcome.

I thought McCarthy was generally very good. Nice to see a keeper move!

Why on earth did he bring on two injury time wasting subs to kill the game when we had a chance to fight for a last minute winner? He almost prevented JWP taking the injury time corner (which could theoretically have led to a last gasp winner)?

Pellegrino gives the impression that he thinks we can win points from just playing defensively, even when we’re drawing or losing.

Im surprised McCarthy didn't appeal a hell of a lot more.

That's a fair point. I've not seen footage of the immediate aftermath of the goal but if McCarthy and the rest of the team weren't surrounding the ref and/or linesman then you've got to wonder what was going through their minds. Ok, so they probably wouldn't have got the decision over-turned but you certainly don't shrug your shoulders and make life easy for the ref in that situation.

Don't be a pratt. Of course I wanted us to win but understand the dynamics of football. I've supported Saints for over 60 years and have seen the highs and lows over that time, What I have learned is that the Fans' confidence is as much a part of the challenge as the Manager and Players.

You're the prat, if you believe that you speak for anybody else by stating that most would have accepted a draw against Watford before the match, especially in the form that they are in, which was almost the same as ours. We had players returning from injury, they had players absent. They were there for the taking had we had a manager with any tactical nous. As you've watched Saints for 60 years, how many managers have we had in that time as clueless as Pellegrino?

First half we were great, just shows we do have the players to get out of this mess when they go for it.

However after half time talks Watford came out like lions and we came out like mice. I can only presume it was another genius talk from our defeatist negative cowardly manager. Inevitably the team goes into its shell and we drop 2 points.

If we go down this season it will be the biggest act of self harm this club will have committed in my time of following, mind numbing stuff really.

Please just get rid of him - it's painful to watch.

Maybe it's a bit harsh on McCarthy, but that picture just makes it look a bit WTF. There wasn't much reaction from him either which is odd. Seemed dazed!

Just the pure frustration of it all. It was the worst possible way that game could have ended for us, that handball makes the draw look harsh and it completley takes away how inept we were for 45mins. I hope there are certain figures who can look at an entire 45 rather than sit on the fence and say ''we were so close, it was an unlucky end''. We brought it all on ourselves.

Did anyone have any confidence that we would win that at half time? I considered it much more likely we would end up with a score like this. Regardless of the unfortunate second, our second half tactics were exactly what I thought they would be which is so depressing. Even worse, we will feel hard done by and I imagine it will mean we still don't get rid of this manager.

Did anyone have any confidence that we would win that at half time? I considered it much more likely we would end up with a score like this. Regardless of the unfortunate second, our second half tactics were exactly what I thought they would be which is so depressing. Even worse, we will feel hard done by and I imagine it will mean we still don't get rid of this manager.

I had a bit of misguided optimism, maybe. I thought Watford would have a quick start to the 2nd half, we'd needed to withstand that. We didn't, and he showed no proactive managerial skills to avoid what happend. Which was always the fear.

18 other PL teams would have won that game today. Feck it, even Watford would have managed to beat themselves today.

Did anyone have any confidence that we would win that at half time? I considered it much more likely we would end up with a score like this. Regardless of the unfortunate second, our second half tactics were exactly what I thought they would be which is so depressing.

The match thread was pretty unanimous that we weren't safe at 2-0 knowing what would likely happen in the 2nd half.

Absolute joke - again sitting on a lead. Almost impressive how consistently inept this manager is in winning positions. Feels too late to replace. Look at West Ham and Palace. Disgrace from the club.

Were we really though????

Or did Watford change their tactics to hoooofball & dive at every opportunity???

Or did Watford change their tactics to hoooofball & dive at every opportunity???

They changed their tactics, yes, and we decided to retreat. No proactive management in that 2nd half, we allowed Watford to build that head of steam and showed that we had no idea how to stop it.

It feels a little like Groundhog Day when I watch the games now.

We do OK in the first half in spite of some interesting team selections, then sit back and capitulate in the second. It genuinely surprises me that the decision makers at the club do not see this.

We were throwing ourselves into last ditch defensive challenges from the 50th minute. We didnt have shot in the second half so, yes, we did.

This team is miles too good to be in the position we are in. It's a completely false position abd is down to this manager who is nowhere near getting the best out of us.

Agree he must go but everyone blames all bad on manager. These players have lacked backbone not just this season. He is sh1t but can’t be scapegoat for everything.

Yep. Possibly would have said that he got a bit lucky the header was missed, but can't blame him for not stopping the hand ball.

YES you can!!! He makes a powerpuff attempt to get the ball & bottles it!!! Their player should never have been in the position to handle it!

& not saying it would have made a difference BUT why did it not surround the ref or ask him to consult the linesman?? (embarrassment I expect!!)

"The last four games the team is growing. Playing in this way it’s easy for everybody because I’m sure we’ll win games."

That's an utterly astounding comment from the manager. The team has been growing the last four games??? Has to go. Please!

I kind of feel sorry for the bloke. He looks absolutley lost. Someone needs to put him out of his misery.

Agree he must go but everyone blames all bad on manager. These players have lacked backbone not just this season. He is sh1t but can’t be scapegoat for everything.
I'm not saying the players don't have some culpability, just that we wouldn't be getting as bad results with a difference manager. Does anyone seriously think we would be where we are if we had say big Sam in charge?

Players should have surrounded the ref. We are such a soft touch. I bet the Saints game is circled on every team's calendar. They know that they can do what they like and Saints will let them.

Yeah, because complaining to ref reversed the Hand of God, & French goals didn't it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If any saints fans bother to turn up I imagine SMS will be pretty empty for the rest of the season..

There is a very real chance we will be in the bottom three by the time we kick off against Spurs. I want MP gone as much as anyone but we need to get behind the team as much as possible to give ourselves a chance, we have 15 cup finals now. Who knows maybe we'll have a new manager by then anyway...

I'm not saying the players don't have some culpability, just that we wouldn't be getting as bad results with a difference manager. Does anyone seriously think we would be where we are if we had say big Sam in charge?

I was reading an article on Sam at Everton they are actually scoring less goals now than they did under Koeman or the caretaker but are conceding less for all our talk about lack of goal scoring and boring defensive football, good teams start with a good defence, ours has been pretty good for a few seasons, until now, but this season it has gone to **** and it is killing us.

We're going to be relegated from a league which is utter ****e this season, apart from the top 6, with a squad which should be 7th - 10th.

Nice one.

Not only are we going to be relegated, but we are going to get relegated from a bunch of teams who are all pretty much as bad as each other. After the top 7 or 8 the quality of this league is pretty awful to be honest, yet we are still struggling to compete with them.

This season also has parallels with the last time we went down, West Brom pulled off a great escape that year, can see that happening again. Shame really because we have some decent players, but my biggest worry is that when we go down we won't get back up for many seasons. I fear this may be our last season in the top flight for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Coherent teams, team spirit, consistency, motivation, coaching and instilling confidence - this is the manager's job.

Pellegrino knew this. It's not some massive surprise people expect these things and not unfair that the buck stops with him. You drop players who perform, reward players who don't, change the team every week and leave the majority of the squad confused and frustrated and guess what? Poorly performing players.

Not saying the buck doesn’t stop of course it does. They did well 1st half. 2nd half was sh1te but to think it is just based on a team talk and nothing to do with the player’s mettle. I am not defending him. Fcking fuming at that 2nd half

I was reading an article on Sam at Everton they are actually scoring less goals now than they did under Koeman or the caretaker but are conceding less for all our talk about lack of goal scoring and boring defensive football, good teams start with a good defence, ours has been pretty good for a few seasons, until now, but this season it has gone to **** and it is killing us.

Everton fans hate him and two home games where they haven’t had a shot on target - something that hadn’t happened once in ten years or something. Roy is the man

Everton fans hate him and two games where they haven’t had a shot on target - something that hadn’t happened once in ten years or something. Roy is the man
I'm not saying he would have us playing good football but someone like him who could give the players the kick up the a*se they need would have them further up the table.

McCarthy didn't even try to save the second goal because Doucoure hand balled it past him, he was as gobsmacked as everybody when the goal was allowed. Made some good saves, caught crosses good punch under pressure and is an improvement on the out of form Forster. The second goal was a disgrace.

It took to post 74 before anybody pinned the blame for the first goal on the right culprit. Step forward Steven Davis, under no pressure dithers on the ball turns one way then the other and tries to beat a man and loses the ball seconds later it's in the net. 100 caps and doesn't have the common sense to move the ball on, he had loads of time. I've made it plain my dislike of Davis, he is a liability and keeping Lamina on the bench for him was just another selection error. JWP, fair play to him, took his goals well with assists from Davis and Tadic. Long did really well with the spadework for both goals and was perhaps a little unlucky not to get a goal.

This. Davis has been good in previous seasons but he's not at the races this one. His first instinct is to pass backwards and it has got us into trouble again and again this season.

Half time - like most of us I suspect - I asked myself: "so how are we going to screw this up and lose or draw from 2-0 up and an excellent first half".

Well we have the predictable answer...a really poor error from an off-form Davis leading to their first goal which was the turning point...a cheats 'goal' in the last minute (how do we all just know the opposition are going to get it in the net somehow)...wrapped up in negative, sit back and invite pressure tactics that have failed 100% of the time.

First half we proved our players are capable of aggressive, pressing football - we looked hungry and won the majority of 50/50 balls. Second half we stand off them, let them saunter into our half and pop long balls in time and time again - you just know they're going to score.

I'm not being a smartarse - I was saying sub Davis with Lemina even before he made the fatal error -he was well off the pace. You know what's going through MP's mind - he's the captain blah blah, see him through a bad patch blah blah, need his support blah blah. To be fair he did finally sub Davis off (and it looked like a punishment subbing to me)...but it doesn't make up for his overall defensive approach.

They have obviously not heard 'fortune favours the brave' in Argentina.

I'm not saying he would have us playing good football but someone like him who could give the players the kick up the a*se they need would have them further up the table.

They’ve all been appointed now. No saviours left.