Watford v Saints - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

Capitulation? Or an impressive Watford comeback. There are two teams in it. We're about the same level. We're playing away from home. I saw a lot of determined defending, and that could have been the end result were it not for the illegal goal. then the narrative would have been, a superb, professionally earned away point.

The problem is that the comeback is a theme with this manager, not a one-off. Opposition managers know he is going to go negative once we have a lead and so they change tactics to expose a defence they know is going to drop deep. MP is so poor that he just doesn't see this and then reacts either when it is too late or with the wrong subs (mostly) or both. At half time my one hope was that he was telling the team to be positive, get the third goal and finish them off. Three down, they are out of it, two down, they know they have a sniff and will keep at us. The only solution is to sack him and hope we bring someone in with sufficient nous to keep us up and then regroup in the summer.

We wos robbed !

That will be the official line from MP & the club. Although true of course ,it clouds are more serious issues; a clueless manager trying to play defensively, failing to respond to the opposition's change in tactics, and poor timing and choices in substitutions.

My anger with today's result lays more with MP , and of course Les with his ever increasing indecision and buffoonery, than the ref. The referee and linesman made the wrong decision in a split second. Reed has been off the mark since the Leicester game (at the very latest) in not realising MP is out of his depth and acting on it.

That will be the official line from MP & the club. Although true of course ,it clouds are more serious issues; a clueless manager trying to play defensively, failing to respond to the opposition's change in tactics, and poor timing and choices in substitutions.

My anger with today's result lays more with MP , and of course Les with his ever increasing indecision and buffoonery, than the ref. The referee and linesman made the wrong decision in a split second. Reed has been off the mark since the Leicester game (at the very latest) in not realising MP is out of his depth and acting on it.

His briefed article on Friday stating that because hes had success before he can't be the reason we aren't doing well now is utter arrogance. Mistakes have been made. I think we'd all accept mistakes can be made and no-one gets everything right. But to refuse to accept you have made a mistake and see the world burn around you is first class idiocy.

Please tell me how the Linesman cant see this?

Not to hide the fact it's a **** decision all around, but I think the photo angle masks that McCarthy is between the refs line of vision and Doucoures head, arm and the ball. Still an absolute shocker though.

Wouldn't have happened if Pellegrino didn't go full negative in the second half, a tactic that has failed every game bar West Ham where we lucked out after dropping a 2 goal lead against 10 men.

Not to hide the fact it's a **** decision all around, but I think the photo angle masks that McCarthy is between the refs line of vision and Doucoures head, arm and the ball. Still an absolute shocker though.

Wouldn't have happened if Pellegrino didn't go full negative in the second half, a tactic that has failed every game bar West Ham where we lucked out after dropping a 2 goal lead against 10 men.

*linesman I mean.

And the lino is looking right at it....

It's unbelievable. Sometimes officials just can't see, and that's just how it goes. He is on the correct side of the pitch and level with play.

Seriously, how has he not seen that. They should have had a pen etc. and I'm not hiding behind the decision. We are **** under this manager and will go down if he isn't sacked with days but things like this make you question what the point is.

HOW CAN HE NOT SEE THAT?

The first half should give us all hope that our team is good enough to survive, easily. The second half should confirm to us that it won’t if this manager remains in charge. not a chance.

This is it in a nutshell. When given the right instructions and tactics, we have a squad that is easily capable of top half in this league. But if we stick with a manager that is incapable of using tactical nous to engineer a win from a leading position we will inevitably go down.

I was reading an article on Sam at Everton they are actually scoring less goals now than they did under Koeman or the caretaker but are conceding less for all our talk about lack of goal scoring and boring defensive football, good teams start with a good defence, ours has been pretty good for a few seasons, until now, but this season it has gone to **** and it is killing us.

Watertight tonight against Spurs. And no shots on target........again.

So torn right now. On the one hand, we played brilliantly in the first half - so we KNOW that Pelligrino can get the team playing well. However, the fact that he is adamant about playing it "safe" and sitting back instead of going for the kill, the fact he leaves it far too late to change things around (Davis should have come off long before he gifted Watford their first goal/two subs in injury time after the equaliser)...it all leads you to ask one critical question - will he ever find the balls to actually go for it and reach the potential he clearly has?

I think the players have shown today, recently and in brief spells throughout the season that they're capable of being a good side. I'm just not sure this manager has the right mentality for it.

We didn't play brilliantly in the first half you clueless t^sser

On the train home having had several (or more) pints for the last time in the Bree Louise near Euston station. Met fans from Leicester, Burnley, Fleetwood, watford, Burnley, Palace. The interesting thread from all these fans was that they see saints as a stable premier league side who shouldn't be on the relegation dogfight. Especially the Leicester fans who were almost unanimously not impressed with Puel. (I warned them if they get into Europe (unlikely)).

We should have wrapped that up by half time. We didn't react to their substitutions. Deeney is a thug and we couldn't handle him. I can't believe how much we gave the ball away in Midfield and "hoofing" the ball out of defence. Really disappointed but my last beers in the Bree Louise, being demolished for HS2) almost made up for it!.

Those saying why didn't the players get in the Refs ear, the majority in the vicinity called it and Cedric got booked for questioning the decision to let the goal stand, at the final whistle he again questioned the ref about the handball, you can clearly see Roger East say "I didn't see it". Not that it helps.

I always thought one of the mantras of football was you defend from the front, yet we bring on the tricky players who would make the oppos a bit wary after the horse has bolted!!!

It beggars belief

Those saying why didn't the players get in the Refs ear, the majority in the vicinity called it and Cedric got booked for questioning the decision to let the goal stand, at the final whistle he again questioned the ref about the handball, you can clearly see Roger East say "I didn't see it". Not that it helps.

I always thought one of the mantras of football was you defend from the front, yet we bring on the tricky players who would make the oppos a bit wary after the horse has bolted!!!

It beggars belief

Terrible decision on the goal, terrible decision not to bring Boufal on for Tadic with 20 minutes to go.

Subs in the 92nd & 93rd minute !!

For what purpose ? Disrupt the rthyhm of the game and prevent a Watford third perhaps.

Subs in the 92nd & 93rd minute !!

For what purpose ? Disrupt the rthyhm of the game and prevent a Watford third perhaps.

Tell me about it! Especially bringing Boufal on so late. A player with genuine game changing ability should be given longer to change the game, not just be given a token run out. We do that on Sunday mornings if the game is dead. We needed a spark and the Muppet did F all about it. I am still incensed by it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Going down, almost a certainty. Squad is so poor, so ripped apart.

Not entirely MPs fault but got to admit that in a relegation fight sitting back and defending a lead with poor players never works.

His tactics are wrong.

His team is ripped apart by our foolish sales policy and lack of ambition.

Fans have no spirit or appetite for the fight either - like the players and manager they too have failed to accept the situation we find ourselves in.

We’re going down. Hopeless.

Feels worse than the last time when Harry arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s no good complaining about a handball because the reality is the team weren’t good enough to hold on it increase a 2-goal lead. A quality premier league side would have played a possession game and looked to catch them as they became frustrated. Instead MP had the team defending with backs to the wall.

Firstly the positives. I said before the game that we must not lose and allow Watford to go 8 points clear and start to look safe. This was first of four games where I think we need seven points, so we now need six from next three games. We looked quick and positive first half, credit to Long for his role in both goals, and good finishes by JWP.

Then the negatives. Again second half MP is out manoeuvred by a Premier League manager. This is a consistent theme. I felt we should have replaced a tiring Cedric with Bednarek to help Hoedt and Stephens counter Okaka and Deeney when they came on. Nothing. Then as Tadic and JWP struggled to regain the ball on rare counter attack I felt we needed Boufal. Nothing.

We look soft against physical sides in centre back positions. We were the far end and it was hard to see the handball but in all honesty we hardly had a kick second half and Watford deserved their point. One last thing, that was the most insanely overcrowded concourse at half time. No one could move. Bloody dangerous