Saints v Spurs build up

Heisenberg

A heavy Spurs win, say 4-0 by half time, then to save us any further punishment they will stop trying.....

But then we'll get the claptrap about our 2nd half being better, and how we are starting to perform based on the 2nd 45 etc. So it will just roll on, and on and on, and on...and on....

Just keep the score respectable

I have no idea how we are going to do that.

I think the atmosphere is going to turn a bit nasty for this one. I expect it will be fine until the second or third Spurs goal then I can see the crowd getting pretty hostile towards the owners, board and manager.

I think you're right. I think this is going to be the game where it turns hostile.

(So with that said, I fully expect us to unveil Argentine duo Gaitan & Carrillo this week) :D

After the way Spurs played havoc with BFS's well drilled side yesterday we can only hide behind the sofa next Sunday and hope that Pochettino being an ex-Saint will call off his attack dogs after 4-0 to save our blushes.

I'm giving this one a miss as don't want to be part of the inevitable fall-out afterwards. It could get very ugly indeed. Besides which I am beginning to hate the idea of sitting in the same stand as Reed and Kreuger and The Clown.

Nothing will change. Priority will be to contain and defend, even though that tactic doesn't even work as we still conceed. Need the manager to grow some balls and throw Gabbiadini and Long up front, push Boufal and Tadic to the flanks and just go for it.

But it won't happen, it will still be the same passive approach hoping it will click. it's too late now, we need to go for it. Nothing to lose. We lose if we defend, so we might as well attack.

We won't go 2 up top while we only have 2 fit strikers. Even if the thin one thought it would be a good idea.

if it gets toxic I'd imagine the directors box will have more fortification than the north/South Korean border. Hope les and Ralph have their hard hats ready.

After no wins in 10 playing this formation I just hope we go with 2 up top.

Personally, if was there I’d just leave early, like I have done at the games I’ve been to this season which have been poor bar W Ham and even that was a dire second half saved by the late pen. Glad I won’t be there as will not be the most happy place if it’s a repeat of the Boxing Day scoreline.

Think this could be the day he demonstrates his tactical genius.

We go all out attack...3 across the top like Liverhampton...high pressing game...

Lose 0-6 as they dissect at will.

"Hard to digest' muppet comment in post match interview. We must analyse and look forward to the next game.

Would love to be proved wrong of course. May only be 0-5.

if it gets toxic I'd imagine the directors box will have more fortification than the north/South Korean border. Hope les and Ralph have their hard hats ready.

The directors box is surrounded by corporate types, any angst will hardly be in their face. If we're getting rinsed on the pitch, 80% of the home fans that are usually polite and timid will still just grunt under their breath or walk out and any booing from the Northam/Itchen North will be easily drowned out by celebrating away fans. OWTSpurs will be ringing loudest around St Mary's.

Could we get Lemina, Hoj and Romeu starting for this one? I like Davis but it does feel like age is catching up with him so could we not play Hoj or Lemina in behind the striker with some combination of Tadic/Boufal/Gabbi/ Sims out wide?

Have those three ever started together?

Don't think so seems MoPe feels they are all DMs but I reckon Hoj or Lemina could play a more advance role like Davis does.

The plan will of course be to put everybody behind the ball with Shane Long expected to play on the break.

Every club in the lower half of the league would play in a similar manner.

They will be hoping they can keep the score respectful so they can say we gave them a game and we were a liitle unlucky.

In the last ten minutes when all is lost we will charge up the field when spurs are just waiting for the match to be over.

We will hoof the ball over midfield to no effect but hey don't we show we are looking to get back in the game.

They won't change the manager till the window is closed not to spook any player coming in .

The manager shoukd have gone in November. How low does his win ratio have to go to get the sack like any other manager.

The issue of manager replacement is they don't have a likely replacement and they are trying to recruit players in the next two weeks. New manager in Feb

Play the strongest physical team, tear into them like a cup tie and go route one with three up. We sure as hell won't outplay them or sit back and hold out.

We don't have a physical team. We don't have anyone who I can see tearing into any team, so we just need to hope for the best and a bit of luck.

McCarthy

Cedric - Hoedt - Stephens - Bertrand

Romeu - Lemina - Hojbjerg

Boufal - Tadic

Long

Bench: Forster, Bednarek, Pied, JWP, Davis, Sims, Gabbiadini

(assumes Yoshida is still injured)

Result 2-2 (Long, Sims)

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth.... :)

On season form our first 11 should be

------------McCarthy-------------

Cedric--Yoshida-Hoedt---Bertrand

---------Lemina-Hojberg

Sims---------JWP----------Boufal

-------------Austin----------------

With Austin injured Gabbiadini has to be given a start over Long. with Tadic and Redmond being terrible pretty much all season anyone who can play in their position deserves a start over them.

I see Olufela Olomola is back from loan at Yeovil maybe he's worth a gamble on the wing?

My biggest gripe with the Boxing Day debacle was that we just didn't compete, it was like men against boys. 5-2 flattered us to be honest. We have gone backwards at such an alarming rate I fear relegation is merely a formality now. I can not see anything changing Sunday so its a nailed on Spurs win I'm afraid

As usual, i'm fearing the worst but trying to remain optimistic we can get something, that something will somehow click and get us out of this mess. Trouble is, each week I am disappointed at seeing no real change, no signs that we will recover. I see the fixure, e.g. vs Brighton or Bournemouth or Palace or Huddersfield and think, "we have to win this, surely we have the quality, surely something has to click" and yet each time at the final whistle I'm left shaking my head and staring anxiously at the fixture list and league table. Then you see Bournemouth get a result against Arsenal and think, "wow, why couldn't we do that".

I think we are going to need to do something extraordinary. Hopefully on Sunday, but I ain't holding my breath.

We have played better against the top teams (e.g. Man U, City, Arsenal - with the exception of Boxing Day) so hoping we can finally start to put away our chances and keep going i.e. not sit back if we happen to lead. I think with Cedric & Bertrand back we have a chance. I know probably clinging to false hopes but someone’s got to post something positive!

Also I would Li ke to see Lemina in a more forward, attacking midfield role. He looks comfortable and skilful on the ball and hard to knock off the ball.

The directors box is surrounded by corporate types, any angst will hardly be in their face.

You're wrong about that, Reed & Kreuger sit in the front row of the director's 'box'; there is an open space in front of them for disabled fans and their helpers. Probably be 100 steward's up there on Sunday

Play Hojbjerg and Romeu in middle, have Lemina ahead of them in Davis role. Have Boufal and Tadic either side of Shane Long/ Gabbiadini up top.

Cedric and Bertrand fullbacks. Hoedt and Stephens (over Yoshida) in middle.

McCarthy to still reign in goal

Need a striker, cb right back to compete with Cedric who has poor days.

Get Hojbjerg or Romeu to smash Kane maybe break his one or both of his legs or ankles early doors and we just might restrict the score

Kane I don't know about, Son, well I doubt either of them could run fast enough to catch him. Kane is just getting the final touches just now, it's Son that's doing the damage.

Interesting so many would drop JWP. Think he's been a rare bright spot. Always liked him on the right. He seems to want to play central, managers try him there but I just don't think it's his game. Lemina, Romeu and Hojbjerg are all way better there. But JWP is a better crosser and gets in the box far better than the other 3.

Mainly I like his link up play with Cedric, gives us good natural width and doesn't need to beat a man to provide a cross. Would always have him right and one of Tadic, Redmond or Boufal left. Boufal behind the striker for 'easier' games, Lemina when needing to be a bit tighter.

I agree. After 3 goals in 2 games surely he has to start?