Saints v Spurs build up

Heisenberg

I was thinking the recent one with his Leicester team.

After all, many claim on here that we have a very good squad. All we need is a different approach from the manager.

I’m not sure our current manager is capable of implementing any kind of “approach” at all.

I said we needed seven points from the four games that started with Watford, and with our run in I still think that is the ask. So now six points from these next three games against Spurs, Brighton and WBA. Stranger things have happened but the most I can see is a point which puts huge pressure on those next two fixtures.

I’m not sure our current manager is capable of implementing any kind of “approach” at all.

God knows what happens in training all week.

At least against some of the bigger teams, a strategy has been implemented fairly successfully (Man Utd being the most recent example) so I'll cling onto that hope that we can pull something out of the bag.

I said we needed seven points from the four games that started with Watford, and with our run in I still think that is the ask. So now six points from these next three games against Spurs, Brighton and WBA. Stranger things have happened but the most I can see is a point which puts huge pressure on those next two fixtures.

Doesn't compute, if we get a point on Sun we would still need to win both the other games in your scenario. Agree we need to target the winnable games, perhaps there will be some rotation this week with a view to putting out our best X1s in the following two games?

Wait till we're 3-0 down (should take ten minutes) then repeated loud "you don't know what you're doing" chants for the rest of the game would hopefully embarrass the club into doing something...anything, is better than watching the inevitable slide out of the league.

God knows what happens in training all week.

At least against some of the bigger teams, a strategy has been implemented fairly successfully (Man Utd being the most recent example) so I'll cling onto that hope that we can pull something out of the bag.

He has actually been implementing an initial strategy quite well recently. It's the real ton when the opposition reacts and changes theirs that is the problem. He has no idea how to cope with changes during the match.

I'd play this:

McCarthy

Cedric Yoshida Hoedt Bertrand

PEH Romeu

JWP Lemina Boufal

Gabbiadini

Bench: Forster, McQueen, Stephens, Davis, Tadic, Redmond, Long

I'd expect them to play a 4231, Lemina seems like he has the ability to drive forward, something Davis has been lacking this season. Redmond, Tadic and Long offer good options off the bench (well the latter two anyway :lol:)

I'd play this:

McCarthy

PEH Romeu

JWP Lemina Boufal

Gabbiadini

I'd expect them to play a 4231, Lemina seems like he has the ability to drive forward, something Davis has been lacking this season. Redmond, Tadic and Long offer good options off the bench (well the latter two anyway :lol:)

I would probably go with that team too. Seems MP is mandated to play 4-2-3-1 (think that is what endears him so to Reed & Kreuger, following the Southampton Way), and yes, I would also like to see Lemina in the 3 now PEH has proved his worth. Unless circumstances dictate o0therwise, bring Long on to replace JWP or Boufal in 2nd half.

Wait till we're 3-0 down (should take ten minutes) then repeated loud "you don't know what you're doing" chants for the rest of the game would hopefully embarrass the club into doing something...anything, is better than watching the inevitable slide out of the league.

Totally agree with this

In the last 5 games we've had 22 shots on target. That's only 4 less than City. Creating chance isn't our problem. It's firstly having a striker than can put the chances away. Long is not and never will be the answer. The second problem is what we do once we do score a couple of chances. Sitting back so deep is suicidal and it can't happen again. It's happened too many times already this season. Pellegrino needs to learn.

In the last 5 games we've had 22 shots on target. That's only 4 less than City. Creating chance isn't our problem. It's firstly having a striker than can put the chances away. Long is not and never will be the answer. The second problem is what we do once we do score a couple of chances. Sitting back so deep is suicidal and it can't happen again. It's happened too many times already this season. Pellegrino needs to learn.

If Pellegrino can learn... he just wants to steal a point by parking a bus for 90 minutes.

That’s the problem... he doesn’t learn.

We can accept that people do make mistakes, that happens in all walks of life, but the problems arise when you don’t learn from them.

I'd play this:

McCarthy

PEH Romeu

JWP Lemina Boufal

Gabbiadini

Much too sensible, Lemina, Boufal and Gabbi need to be on the bench to be brought on in injury time when we are At least 2 down.

Surely that depends on the quality of the chances? Getting half chances on target without much chance of scoring isn't great.

Often with out of form players they're so focused on just hitting the target you get soft finishes right at the keeper.

But how long gets games I'll never know. Premier league in 2018, running around a lot shouldn't be enough.

Fair point but we would have not got the 2 at the weekend if he was`nt playing

I'd play this:

McCarthy

PEH Romeu

JWP Lemina Boufal

Gabbiadini

This is without doubt our best staring team. He should pick that and stick with it and hope they can regain confidence in time. That team playing with motivation and confidence is good enough to beat all but the very top teams, and maybe give them a game too.

When is Austin due back from his injury/ suspension? We are going to need his goals if we have any hope of staying up. Not that Austin returning can save us from a spanking by spurs.

Suspension should be up but I heard he is out injured until March :(

The first team seems to have gone awfully quiet on the OS and Twitter in the lead up to the Spurs game. I haven’t seen any first team interviews or training footage, since a JWP interview on the 14th.

Perhaps it’s because whenever their account tweets something remotely connected to the first team such as the shirt competition, it is greeted with a barrage of Pellegrino out and where are our signings type replies. Early days, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll at least have something to say when Pellegrino does his pre-match presser.

i would recommend that we tie Hoedt's ankle to Kane's ankle with a rope. That should do the trick.

but seriously, we need to stick to Kane like glue. So many of his goals are about his positioning. keep a hip on him, rough him up a little, don't let him roam free, make him uncomfortable.

Hell, tell Hoedt not to even look at the ball once during the match; just keep your eyes on Kane.

i would recommend that we tie Hoedt's ankle to Kane's ankle with a rope. That should do the trick.

but seriously, we need to stick to Kane like glue. So many of his goals are about his positioning. keep a hip on him, rough him up a little, don't let him roam free, make him uncomfortable.

Hell, tell Hoedt not to even look at the ball once during the match; just keep your eyes on Kane.

You'll need someone to keep an eye on Son, Eriksen and Ali too. Their movement is really, really fluid.

Without any new signings if he plays 3-5-2:

McCarthy

Stephens Hoedt Yoshida

Cedric Romeu Hoijberg Bertrand

Boufal

Long Gabbiadini

In that formation we could beat Tottenham and we have replacements in each area. Not with this manager however...Muppet...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

McCarthy

Stephens Hoedt Yoshida

Cedric Romeu Hoijberg Bertrand

Boufal

Long Gabbiadini

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That team would get overrun all over the park. Imo our only hope of giving them a game is to keep it tight with Romeu, Hoj, and Lemina as a midfield 3, JWP wide right and Tadic left. Won't happen though.

Whatever we do it needs to be a damn sight different from the Wembley game.

I still don't understand why we don't play three centre backs and push our fullbacks up a fraction, without leaving us quite so exposed to the counter. Can't see any reason why we can't play the three central midfielders offering us the most physical presence and who cover the most ground (at a pace worth talking about). no idea why Boufal doesn't play all the time, in the middle, with a free role. Long has to be selected because Gabbiadini looks like he has lost his confidence (not to mention that Longe has done pretty well the last two games).

McCarthy

Cedric Stevens Yoshida Hoedt Bertrand

PEH Lemina Romeu

Boufal

Long

You'll need someone to keep an eye on Son, Eriksen and Ali too. Their movement is really, really fluid.

scary how good they have been recently. Spurs have taken us to the cleaners in recent times. I've seen them fall short a couple of times this season - when Eriksson looked knackered was one of the games, but not sure how you beat them.

I always think Saints do well when we press high up the pitch and hassle them constantly. Not sure we have the fitness do that for more than a half though. In Poch's days we didn't actually press the top sides, but still found a way to win. Koeman went five at the back and defensive and that worked too. Both had decent sides to work with. What the best way is with this set of players I don't know.

scary how good they have been recently. Spurs have taken us to the cleaners in recent times. I've seen them fall short a couple of times this season - when Eriksson looked knackered was one of the games, but not sure how you beat them.

I always think Saints do well when we press high up the pitch and hassle them constantly. Not sure we have the fitness do that for more than a half though. In Poch's days we didn't actually press the top sides, but still found a way to win. Koeman went five at the back and defensive and that worked too. Both had decent sides to work with. What the best way is with this set of players I don't know.

And there's the rub, all of the sides posted up have more weaknesses than strengths, MP has been dealt a pretty average hand (and certainly hasn't helped himself with his selections/tactics/substitutions). I don't care who the manager is, Guardiola would struggle to give an in-form Spurs a game with what we've got. If we are serious about giving Spurs a game then we are short of a: GK/at least one CB/ a proper attacking mid/a striker and a wide player.

Thankfully we don't play Spurs every week and on 'paper' we should be competing with the pretty mediocre sides in the bottom half of the league.

I still don't understand why we don't play three centre backs and push our fullbacks up a fraction, without leaving us quite so exposed to the counter. Can't see any reason why we can't play the three central midfielders offering us the most physical presence and who cover the most ground (at a pace worth talking about). no idea why Boufal doesn't play all the time, in the middle, with a free role. Long has to be selected because Gabbiadini looks like he has lost his confidence (not to mention that Longe has done pretty well the last two games).

McCarthy

PEH Lemina Romeu

Boufal

Long

I wish you were picking the team! I'd consider bringing Gabbiadini on depending on how Long was playing and the state of the game. Lemina can clearly play a more attacking midfield role if needed.

McCarthy

PEH Lemina Romeu

Boufal

Long

That has to be the team.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We have a worse record against Spurs than any other team since promotion, I'd be willing to bet. Lost every game besides the 2-1 win at WHL, unless I'm mistaken.

Drew 2-2 in Koeman’s first season at St Mary’s, but lost every other one.

Doesn't compute, if we get a point on Sun we would still need to win both the other games in your scenario. Agree we need to target the winnable games, perhaps there will be some rotation this week with a view to putting out our best X1s in the following two games?

Watford = 1 point

Plus two wins

= 7 points

Spurs -2 handicap at 9/2 doesn’t look a bad bet.

Unbelievable that we’re still only 7th favourite for the drop at 5/1. I put a bit on at 6/1 straight after the Watford game. I normally wouldn’t but MP has just shown he hasn’t got a f*cking clue one too many times for me to have any belief in him improving things enough to survive.

Watford = 1 point

Plus two wins

= 7 points

I think what he meant was if we get 1 point v Spurs, added to the 1 point we got at Watford = 2

Then 4 points from the next 2 games only takes you to 6

You will need 2 wins to get to 8

But 7 is no longer possible !

I think what he meant was if we get 1 point v Spurs, added to the 1 point we got at Watford = 2

Then 4 points from the next 2 games only takes you to 6

You will need 2 wins to get to 8

But 7 is no longer possible !

I think we're all saying the same thing!

7 points from those 4 games was a challenging target but prob what we need to get us back on track. We got 1 from Watford, we now need another 6, if we get 1 from Spurs we would still need to win the other two to meet our target, in fact we would exceed it by one. Anything we get from Spurs is a bonus but ONLY IF we win the other two games. Hence my slightly tongue in cheek comment suggesting that we rotate this week and then go full on in the other two games.