J-Rod reported to FA over remark to Gaëtan Bong

DuncanRG

Is this alleged racism? I've never heard of pinching your nose being implied racism. Or is the allegation that JRod implied that this guy smells?

Did you read the article pal?

Per Hughton, Gaëtan Bong has reported Jay Rodriguez for something that has been said to him. Do you want me to underline the operative word to make things easier for you.

He pinched his nose and waved his hand in front of it from what I saw, implying bad breath.

Not good either way as either Jay has been naughty, or a race card is being thrown that isn't there. Needs to be investigated but not good either way

Did you read the article pal?

Per Hughton, Gaëtan Bong has reported Jay Rodriguez for something that has been said to him. Do you want me to underline the operative word to make things easier for you.

Will indeed come down to the alleged words and only two people know what they were or weren’t. Holding your nose in itself isn’t an offence - Costa did it to Shawcross - but it’s whether that was aggravated by anything else.

Would be willing to bet my house on the fact that isn’t true. Jay is another who is just an all round decent bloke, no way would he racially abuse someone.

If proven not true then a lengthy ban needs to be handed out to Bong. Allegations that could destroy a mans career or life.

Difficulty is it may be hard to prove either way.

Bong's done an interview on French tv whilst doing some punditry, discussing the incident. Not sure how that works with an ongoing investigation. He claims Jay said things which cannot be repeated on TV (or he doesn't have anything to repeat) and that there was no room for the gesture Jay made (you stink) in football as it's racist. Few suggestions on social media that the gesture Jay made is regarded as racist in other cultures, but obviously presumably not something Jay would be aware of. The incident occurred after Bong getting in Jay's face so it really does look like he was doing a 'get out my face your breath stinks' type of thing but of course only the two players know for sure what was said. Find it very hard to believe Jay Rodriguez would racially abuse another player, and even more hard to believe that he would use the phrase "you're black and you stink", which frankly as well as being deplorable is also quite infantile. Of course if he did say such a thing, he deserves whatever he gets.

Also, Bong is the player who got kicked in the ******** twice by Lukaku. Maybe he's just a bit of a *****.

taken separately both statements could be seen as true, if indeed he does suffer with odour. If it was said and used as a slur then that is unacceptable

I'm not sure in what world someone would feel the need to point out that "you're black" in a polite, helpful manner.

Obviously one can't know for sure, but from the replays it did also look like Rodriguez was asking the ref what he was meant to have said in a way that suggested, to me at least, that he was in disbelief about being misheard or misinterpreted.