If we were to be relegated......

Roo1976

This is my main concern. I'm fairly certain that we will get relegated this season, we have lost our balls all over the park. But for me, the overriding issue is that i just don't see us coming back up any time soon.

We were very, very lucky last time in that Markus found us and the rest is history. But realistically how many Markus Liebherr's are there out there, are we likely to get that lucky twice in a row? There are much bigger clubs than us that have lounged in the lower leagues for many years, is not easy to get back up.

I'm resigned to a long stint of lower league football.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

We have a fck load of huge premier league TV money, a very good squad that would all go for decent money, and decent infrastructure remaining. We wouldn't be going down half bankrupt like last time. Huge difference.
Agreed, the circumstances are very different but it is still a very difficult league to get out of. Bigger clubs than us have struggled to recover after going down

Hard to say really, would depend entirely on what players stayed, who we got in, who was managing us etc.

But if I was going to be brutally honest, then I don't think we'd come straight back up.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that, but as each week passes I think it's a big possibility!

Not sure i would remotely trust the decision makers.

We'd roll over and sell a player the minute he started performing.

Staying in the Championship in the best hope for next season. Look at Sunderland and Saints are an even bigger mess. I think go down and then could be a Coventry scenario

Staying in the Championship in the best hope for next season. Look at Sunderland and Saints are an even bigger mess. I think go down and then could be a Coventry scenario

Rubbish. Sunderland’s decline has happened over a number of seasons. We’re not quite at that stage.

Depends on the manager, same as any league.

With a good manager, either keeper a couple or signing a couple of experienced players and yes.

I'd be excited to see Stephens, Targett, McQueen, Bednarek, Hesketh, Sims and Gallagher all play regularly. If you added in McCarthy, Yoshi, Davis and Long? Then I think we could definitely do something.

McCarthy

Bednarek Stephens Yoshi Targett

Sims Hesketh Davis McQueen

Long Gallagher

Personally I think with the right manager, that's a well balanced side. Add a couple of good signings and we'd do well.

I do hope you are right but feel this side would struggle in the Championship

We had a stronger side against virtually a Wolves second string and were well beaten earlier in the season

I do hope you are right but feel this side would struggle in the Championship

We had a stronger side against virtually a Wolves second string and were well beaten earlier in the season

the team looks lightweight as it does this season..........wow whats happened to Lemina?club record signing looking a bit player now compaired with lightning start he had in the first part of the season.Davies yes experience but legs wont see him through 2 games a week on occasionsas we all know in the championship its tough very tough and im not sure the lads have enough about themselves to put what would have been (if we were to get relegated)a huge eggo deflating blow to have been relegated ........i think the youth development and black box are running on empty.

We'd need to sell most of our squad as they've all gotten new big contracts recently that we just couldn't afford. So it would all come down to recruitment. I'm sure Reed can find some real gem out of favour players at top of the table Ligue 2/Serie B/Segunda Division teams to rebuild with.

No.. I am sure I read Newcastle were only the 7th team of the last 33 relegated to get automatic promotion the next season..and that Burnley and Newcastle did it recently but there was a long gap previously to that.

It's pretty rare for a team to do it despite the extra finances, look at Sunderland, Boro and Hull from last season?

If we can survive the relegation battle next season in the Championship, then we'll be laughing. Would snap your hand off right now if you offered Championship survival on the last day of the season. Then the best we can realistically hope for is a couple of decades in that league. There's no way we're coming back up.

But that's fine, we will still be Saints and we'll have a blast no doubt. Lower leagues can be fun.

Edited by niceandfriendly

I think go down and then could be a Coventry scenario

Would probably take that right now. They're still a club, still playing matches, they still exist. Phoenix club might be our best bet once we've slipped right down to League 1 or 2 and are on the verge of being wound up. Perhaps time to start thinking about grounds we could use? I'd certainly be willing to chuck a few quid into the pot.

Would probably take that right now. They're still a club, still playing matches, they still exist. Phoenix club might be our best bet once we've slipped right down to League 1 or 2 and are on the verge of being wound up. Perhaps time to start thinking about grounds we could use? I'd certainly be willing to chuck a few quid into the pot.

You'd take that RIGHT NOW would you? Over being a PL team? We haven't been relegated yet and you're talking about snapping your hand off to be in Coventry's situation? :lol:

Obvious troll is obvious.

With a good manager, either keeper a couple or signing a couple of experienced players and yes.

I'd be excited to see Stephens, Targett, McQueen, Bednarek, Hesketh, Sims and Gallagher all play regularly. If you added in McCarthy, Yoshi, Davis and Long? Then I think we could definitely do something.

McCarthy

Long Gallagher

Personally I think with the right manager, that's a well balanced side. Add a couple of good signings and we'd do well.

I don't think that team would do well in the championship.

McCarthy

Long Gallagher

Very poor defence for me. New rb and cb needed and we could probably keep jwp instead of Davis.

McCarthy

Long Gallagher

We’d get murdered with that side.

McCarthy

Long Gallagher

Relegation 2 seasons on the trot with that side I’m afraid

You really are not very good at this are you? I understand that you want to troll the board, but you are so bad at trolling you come across as a 13 year old kid, or worse, a skate. Really looking forward to reading your next offerings.

So realistically who would we have from the current squad/ youth in the championship that wouldn't jump ship?

Forwards

Sam G

Olufela Olomola

Long (possibly)

Attacking midfield

Davis

Hesketh

McQueen

Sims

DM

Reed

CB

Stephens

Yoshida

Bednarek

Full backs

Targett

Goal keepers

Forster

McCarthy

I think most of the rest would think they are to good for the championship despite getting us there and try and force a move elsewhere. Obviously not all of the current squad will get a move but either way serious reinforcements would be needed to the current squad especially at Full back and DM (cause lets face it Romeu, Lemina, Hoj, Cedric and Bertrand will be unlikely to still be here in the event of relegation).

We are NOT in a bigger mess than Sunderland ffs.

Depends what happens between now and the end of the season doesn’t it? We know Short wants to sell up, we don’t know what Gaos plans even are. It appears he had to borrow to be able to buy the club, whether that was government restrictions on money out of China or planned we don’t know. Either way, the club will have to have a fire sale of the largest earners and who will want Forster etc? We may still have an unpopular manager in charge and if not, paid a lot of compo in the space of 18 months, eating into our parachute money. Staying up would be the first priority next term with a very different first XI to knit together. Rupert at least put some relegation clause reductions in the contracts but the players that seemingly didn’t have those eg Delap were a millstone around the neck.

Why have you become a troll? Pretty sure you used to just be a normal poster. Not sure what makes people decide they want to sit on the interweb and wind people up, bit odd.

Despite his other failings the 'relegation clause' by Lowe was a good idea, wonder if Les Reed has had the foresight to include anything similar. Possibly on 'Planet Les' relegation is only something that happens to others and not a carefully well run club like us so I expect we'll be lumbered with FF as no one will want to match his wages, or he'll leave for very little.

Having enjoyed a period of relative success since the Liebherr take over, I wonder if relegation will be harder for the fans to take this time round than last.

My memory is not clear on the matter but I recollect our crowds weren't too bad back in Championship in the initial stages until it all started to unravel.

I fear that this may not be the case next season and the club will have to think very carefully as to how they pitch season ticket prices whether we escape the drop, or not, as there is a real sense of disillusionment and apathy amongst a lot of fans at the moment

Adrian is right about the manager being key.

Quite often I can look from afar and be pretty confident that teams managed by Rafa / Fat Sam / Bruce / Houghton etc will be in the promotion mix in previous years.

A manager to help navigate and infuse the remaining players we'd be left with leaders, size & experience of that level.

Why have you become a troll? Pretty sure you used to just be a normal poster. Not sure what makes people decide they want to sit on the interweb and wind people up, bit odd.

Emotion and frustration. Saw it on the old forum 04-09 when things went bad last time. I’m at the stage of life now where it’s a real shame but the club is run by people thousands of miles away and what will be. Feel most sorry for people at the club that might lose their jobs if we suffer one or more relegation and can’t pay the rent or mortgage

So realistically who would we have from the current squad/ youth in the championship that wouldn't jump ship?

Forwards

Sam G

Olufela Olomola

Long (possibly)

Attacking midfield

Davis

Hesketh

McQueen

Sims

DM

Reed

CB

Stephens

Yoshida

Bednarek

Full backs

Targett

Goal keepers

Forster

McCarthy

I think most of the rest would think they are to good for the championship despite getting us there and try and force a move elsewhere. Obviously not all of the current squad will get a move but either way serious reinforcements would be needed to the current squad especially at Full back and DM (cause lets face it Romeu, Lemina, Hoj, Cedric and Bertrand will be unlikely to still be here in the event of relegation).

I think you could add:

Austin

Classie

Redmond

I also think that PEH, Hoedt and JWP could stay, possibly Lemina too.

And that we would probably offer Pied a new contract if we went down.

Also, I think Forster would go - probably to one of the promoted teams.

I'm fully expecting relegation until we sack Pellegrino, so on a Saturday night lull at work yesterday, I've been working out what our squad could look like in the Championship next season. You know what, it's not actually too bad and with a few incomings we stand a chance of bouncing back up! At the very least we could linger around the play-offs like Aston Villa have. I think, unlike 2005, we have a much stronger foundation, are stronger financially and have a better core group of players, and are more likely to bounce back up than we were back then. Of course cluster**** after cluster**** is still a possibility and we could do a Blackburn, but I just can't see it. The biggest downside would be missing out on the Premier League TV money from next season, and of course not attracting the better class of players to the club.

Let's start with saleable assets, the players we are likely to lose because clubs will pounce on us like vultures: Cedric, Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Bertrand, Tadic and Redmond. Of those, I reckon we are likely to still have Hoedt and Redmond; Hoedt because he's not been a staple for us this season thus far, and Redmond because, well, no-one will want him! (Although as we proved, there was someone that wanted him from Norwich...) I also think there is a question mark over whether we'd still have Tadic or not, but I think he'd have a right grump on next season in the Championship, so I'm selling him if a decent offer comes in. Question marks also over Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Stephens and Austin, but I think we'd keep those 5 otherwise we might as well build a new team up from scratch.

That leaves the squad looking like:

GK: Forster/McCarthy/Lewis

The dream is that someone comes in for Forster and we can make money for him, use McCarthy in the Championship with Lewis as back up, with the extra spot opened up for a top keeper if we make it back to the Premier League. However I don't see it, and for the Championship at least, our goalkeeper choices are very strong. Release Taylor.

RB: Valery

Right back is where we'll need major surgery. Pied will be released IMO, leaving young Valery as the only potential inclusion as a back up right back. We'd need a first choice.

LB: McQueen, Targett.

I'd expect Targett will become first choice left back in the Championship, but would largely rotate with McQueen depending on opposition. It's another position that would need strengthening if we made it back to the Prem, but for the Championship those two would be decent.

CB: Yoshida, Hoedt, Stephens, Bednarek.

Are those four enough? Could another youth teamer come in? I can't see Gardos staying (although ironically he could probably do a decent job in the Championship fitness pending). Question marks over the saleability of both Hoedt and Stephens - keep both and I'd say we don't need another centre back - lose one or both and we definitely need strengthening here.

DM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, Clasie, JWP, Davis, Reed

I think we're fairly strong here in Championship terms, even if we don't bring Clasie back, who some may say is too lightweight for the rough and tumble of the Championship - but it depends if anyone wants him, he still has two years left on his contract. Romeu, JWP and Hojbjerg are all possible saleable assets as I said, but we need to keep those three IMO for the Championship, as they'd be a good nucleus for a side looking to get back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Reed will have a season of experience in the Championship behind him, where he's largely been first choice and done well up until his recent injury. Davis? Well he'll still be here, the experienced captain, and he'll still have something to offer us next season.

Attacking midfield: Redmond, Sims, Hesketh

OK, major surgery needed here, more so if someone actually wants Redmond. Will Tadic or Boufal stay? I can't see it. It's our attack that will need to be drastically worked on next season - something that of course can be said about our attack this season...a recurring theme.

Strikers: Austin, Long, Gallagher, Olumola, Seager.

Ok, one of the youngsters will possibly be loaned out/released, and somebody may take a punt on Austin, although I think he'll stay put, so there is some talent there for Championship level.

That creates a possible 4-3-2-1 of:

------------Forster-------

New RB Stephens Hoedt Targett

----JWP---Hojbjerg----Romeu---

-------New AM ---Redmond---------

------------Austin-------------

With a back up 4-3-2-1 of:

----------McCarthy------------

Valery---Yoshida---Bednarek-----McQueen

------Davis---Reed-----Clasie-------

-------Sims-----------Hesketh---------

---------------Long----------------

Anyway this is just my thoughts about what the team could look like. It’s largely dependent on who the vultures fancy, then of course who we are able to sign at Championship level.

Having enjoyed a period of relative success since the Liebherr take over, I wonder if relegation will be harder for the fans to take this time round than last.

My memory is not clear on the matter but I recollect our crowds weren't too bad back in Championship in the initial stages until it all started to unravel.

I fear that this may not be the case next season and the club will have to think very carefully as to how they pitch season ticket prices whether we escape the drop, or not, as there is a real sense of disillusionment and apathy amongst a lot of fans at the moment

We lost a lot of players. Had a half decent side by the time the season starts.

I remember going to watch us beat Crewe 2-0 at St Mary's & it could've been 7 or 8. Here's the team that day:

Southampton: Niemi, Hajto, Lundekvam, Powell, Higginbotham, Prutton, Oakley, Quashie, Belmadi, Jones (Ormerod 54), Fuller (Dyer 87).

Subs Not Used: Smith, Wise, Cranie.

A pretty decent side on paper is that! - But of course, the vultures still had time to come in for the better players.

We lost our way and slowly but surely as you don't get promoted and time dwindles away you lose more & more players and the side gets weaker & weaker.

Adrian is right about the manager being key.

Quite often I can look from afar and be pretty confident that teams managed by Rafa / Fat Sam / Bruce / Houghton etc will be in the promotion mix in previous years.

A manager to help navigate and infuse the remaining players we'd be left with leaders, size & experience of that level.

I think the most important thing is what Gao decides to do, the quality of manager we get depends entirely on what our financial situation is like and how much Gao is prepared to gamble/invest to get back up.

We know very little about the owners and even less about their intentions - if he just decides to asset strip to try and repay his loan we could well end up like Pompey.

I think the most important thing is what Gao decides to do, the quality of manager we get depends entirely on what our financial situation is like and how much Gao is prepared to gamble/invest to get back up.

We know very little about the owners and even less about their intentions - if he just decides to asset strip to try and repay his loan we could well end up like Pompey.

Quite. Hopefully not but we know so little it can’t be ruled out

I think we're gone. Clueless manager. Clueless board who have been asset stripping us for the last few years. Certain players who should be ashamed of themselves for their sheer lack of effort. The problem is that they know they can leave and get employment elsewhere. Most of them don't give a **** who they play for.