RIP Cyrille Regis

OldNick

He did so much for black players, especially for someone like me, a white Southampton kid who knew at that time perhaps only one or 2 black people. I had the utmost respect for him and I always feared his footballing skills when he was against us. Sadly it was a time when the crowds would racially abuse black footballers and shameful.

Very sad and also sudden (I was not aware that he was ill). Did so much for racial equality and had to put up with a lot in his time !

RIP

I read it was a heart attack. Very sad news - a brave trailblazer for black footballers and sportspeople in the 70s and 80s. The crap he must have put up with is shameful to look back on.

RIP - so sad. Was a fantastic player and would be worth a ton in today's market. With Cunningham and Batson really blazed a trail, I read the book on their emergence and experiences at WBA and the abuse they had to put up with was vile. If you want to see them in full flow, watch the Man Utd 3 WBA 5 video from 1979, Stretford End were applauding them and that WBA side for a short time were as entertaining as the Saints side under Lawrie that followed 80-85. Cyrille went on to win the Cup with Coventry and towards the end of his career was part of the Villa squad that nearly won the title in the early 90s. Sad day for football in the West Midlands and beyond.

My dad played with a teenage Regis for Hayes in the seventies. Used tell me stories about those times when I was young so he was always a player I had a lot of interest in.

Was really sad to hear the news. He achieved a lot just as a player but so much more as a black footballer. Things were certainly tough for black players in the 70's and 80's and he did a lot to change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great clip of Cyrille in his pomp, as well as a classic Saints goal.

Remember both of those like it was yesterday. Terrific game between two fine sides.

RIP

I am right in the front of the archers road end in the middle of the goal. The Regis goal is pretty much right on my head. Still remember him finishing it so clearly (and Ivan’s classic earlier).

RIP