Who’s to blame?

Pilchards

I am going to agree with others who say the recruiment department. After Koeman left they made so bad mistakes.

1) Puel, although I think he is a good coach and tactician, he wasnt the right person for the club. Puel played more conservative then the club had hoped.

2) Pellegrino, unlike Puel I dont think Pellegrino is top class coach. His tactics are negative and poor, and once the opposing team change their tactics/formation during a match he often fails to see it on time.

3) The players, we seem to recrute players on the basis of, does any top club have a squad player they dont need anymore, instead of scouting players that suit the style and way we want to play.

The question I asked was who’s to blame on having our three record signings on the bench?

Were they the wrong players bought by the board or is the manager clueless?

All three have at some point demonstrated they have class. Some people would argue that when they play they look like our best players. Lemina certainly, Boufal occasionally, Gabbiadini historically. I'm therefore not sure they can be labelled poor signings.

"Who's to blame" ?

The endless list of perceived mistakes serves what purpose ?

Surely a thread on "Who do we support" ? and "How can we help to improve things" ? would be more constructive !

I do not pretend to have any/all of the answers but I am acutely aware that the constant abuse of club custodians (at all levels) is doing nothing to lift the energy required for the 'backs to the wall' dogfight we currently find ourselves in !

COYS

"Who's to blame" ?

The endless list of perceived mistakes serves what purpose ?

Surely a thread on "Who do we support" ? and "How can we help to improve things" ? would be more constructive !

I do not pretend to have any/all of the answers but I am acutely aware that the constant abuse of club custodians (at all levels) is doing nothing to lift the energy required for the 'backs to the wall' dogfight we currently find ourselves in !

COYS

Is this another "its the fans fault" posts? Because a few moaning people on a forum ? At games its been okayish - not like under past managers but is that surprising?

Nowhere near the comical "toxic" I have seen posted. Fans pay their money and can support how they like - compared to Fulham we are AC/DC compared to Bucks Fizz.

Players and manager have to deliver and the fans will support that.

A hate the blame game in terms of individual blame, I think it's misguided to praise just one person when the going is good and by the same token it's misguided to direct all the blame at one person when the going is bad.

We have done things well in the past, collectively as a club. Over the last 18 months we have taken our eye of the ball and have got a little too sure of ourselves, that comes across in our managerial appointments, PR slush in the press and our recruitment policy.

We seem to still be living off of one transfer window, which let's be honest was a raving success for the club. Since then though our recruitment has been quite poor in my eyes, as the club have seemingly thought they had it all made so took their eyes off the prize.

Collectively peoples heads need to be slammed together and they need to stop looking at what we did 3 years ago, thinking we can still follow the same principles now. Football changes, players change, demands change, our principles also need to change otherwise we will continue to go backwards.

Ooh....now the same thing happened when the fans forced the board to appoint Luggy over Hoddle in 2004. I should be careful over your remarks or you will be lambasted for holding such opinions.

I think they should be applauded because without them we wouldn't have had the delights of your enlightened post's over the years!

We are so lucky to have you remind us. Why do you think no-one has appointed him since getting sacked by Wolves? Oh no sorry thats too difficult a question for you.

How much is your Norwich S/T this year?

I think they should be applauded because without them we wouldn't have had the delights of your enlightened post's over the years!

We are so lucky to have you remind us. Why do you think no-one has appointed him since getting sacked by Wolves? Oh no sorry thats too difficult a question for you.

How much is your Norwich S/T this year?

Well, on the last point Norwich are on a good run and if things don't change will have more chance than Saints of being in the Premier League next year. Not that I am a Canary btw.

Well, on the last point Norwich are on a good run and if things don't change will have more chance than Saints of being in the Premier League next year. Not that I am a Canary btw.

Without Luggy we wouldn't have gone down and we wouldnt have got Markus and the last 7 years great fun....so come on why hasn't anyone appointed Hoddle since 204/5?

Without Luggy we wouldn't have gone down and we wouldnt have got Markus and the last 7 years great fun....so come on why hasn't anyone appointed Hoddle since 204/5?

Say what you like, Hoddle was one of our most successful managers . The players wanted him back. The appointment of Luggy was bizzare, almost as if Lowe appointed him to prove that failing to support the re-appointment of Hoddle would lead to relegation.

There are lots of examples were a manager has fitted one club but not another, most recently RK at Everton. I remain convinced that Hoddle would have kept us up and whose to say Markus wouldn't have bought a thriving Premier club?

Say what you like, Hoddle was one of our most successful managers . The players wanted him back. The appointment of Luggy was bizzare, almost as if Lowe appointed him to prove that failing to support the re-appointment of Hoddle would lead to relegation.

There are lots of examples were a manager has fitted one club but not another, most recently RK at Everton. I remain convinced that Hoddle would have kept us up and whose to say Markus wouldn't have bought a thriving Premier club?

Because he paid what 24m for us....we sold 80% for 200m!! You really think markus would have paid that?

You remain convinced...no-one else has taken that on....why has no-one appointed him since being sacked by Wolves 2004/5.....yet he is the Messiah.

How can you say he would have been as good second time?

You decry the Liebherrs and our historyeverytime you post that.

Because he paid what 24m for us....we sold 80% for 200m!! You really think markus would have paid that?

You remain convinced...no-one else has taken that on....why has no-one appointed him since being sacked by Wolves 2004/5.....yet he is the Messiah.

How can you say he would have been as good second time?

You decry the Liebherrs and our historyeverytime you post that.

I could argue that if Luggy had stayed 3 more games we may have stayed up....easy this hindsight

Puel was wrongly sacked and the fans who think he is no good know SFA. All those wanting rid of him certainly were happy watching us at Wembley and being part of one of the best cup finals in years, let alone the start of making us a decent team again.

Anyway it is history and pointless at picking at the scab. I feel cheated that I cant see how we would have progressed under him

Lol we were going backwards not progressing..at this point in the season we only need three goals at home to match last years home tally. And the goals we did score were towards the start of last season. MP may be ****e but we will still score more goals at home than we did last season.

Us fans for putting up with the carp and letting them get away with mugging us off every season ! If we had kicked off and caused a fuss the first transfer window all the family silver started to get sold maybe they wouldn't think it's OK to do it every season !

Whoever turned down Pellegrini and appointed Puel - we had the opportunity of appointing someone with this record:

Managerial statistics

As of match played 4 November 2017.

Managerial record by team and tenure Team From To Record Ref

P W D L Win %

Villarreal 1 July 2004 1 June 2009 259 123 72 64 47.5 [13][47][48]

Real Madrid 1 June 2009 26 May 2010 48 36 5 7 75.0 [13][16][49]

Málaga 5 November 2010 14 June 2013 129 53 30 46 41.1 [47][50]

Manchester City 14 June 2013 30 June 2016 167 100 28 39 59.9 [47]

Hebei China Fortune 27 August 2016 Present 37 16 9 12 43.2 [51]

Total 640 328 144 168 51.3 —

Universidad Católica

Copa Chile: 1995

Copa Interamericana: 1993

LDU Quito

Serie A: 1999

San Lorenzo

Primera División: 2000–01

Copa Mercosur: 2001

River Plate

Primera División: 2002–03

Villarreal

UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2004

Manchester City

Premier League: 2013–14

Football League Cup: 2013–14, 2015–16

Individual

Miguel Muñoz Trophy: 2007–08

Premier League Manager of the Month (4): December 2013, January 2014, December 2014, August 2015

Málaga Provincial Council: Gold Shield

He cost too much. That money is needed to pay of KL, Gao and give Les and Co a nice fat bonus each year.

Say what you like, Hoddle was one of our most successful managers .

Absolutely, well successful. Especially in the cup. Managed to beat Mansfield over 2 legs before a home loss to Coventry in the league cup. Got unlucky in the FA after a tough draw home to Tranmere. Somehow against all the odds he managed to take them to a reply before losing 4-3 at their fortress. You can’t hold that against him, not many coaches come away from there with a win. His league positions confirmed what a genius he was, on target for a 10th place when he left, after guiding us to 15th the season before. His record since he left has confirmed what a great manager he is, particularly his work at Wolves which was the job he got instead of ours.

As you say one of our most successful. Only Ted, Lawrie, Chris N, Bally, WGS, Poch, Ronald Koeman & Puel finished higher or went further in the cups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely, well successful. Especially in the cup. Managed to beat Mansfield over 2 legs before a home loss to Coventry in the league cup. Got unlucky in the FA after a tough draw home to Tranmere. Somehow against all the odds he managed to take them to a reply before losing 4-3 at their fortress. You can’t hold that against him, not many coaches come away from there with a win. His league positions confirmed what a genius he was, on target for a 10th place when he left, after guiding us to 15th the season before. His record since he left has confirmed what a great manager he is, particularly his work at Wolves which was the job he got instead of ours.

As you say one of our most successful. Only Ted, Lawrie, Chris N, Bally, WGS, Poch, Ronald Koeman & Puel finished higher or went further in the cups.

:lol:

Record signing is a bit of a red herring isn't it? Player transfer inflation means a lot of clubs are breaking their signing fee record on a regular basis not necessarily bringing in players who are much higher quality than the current squad either but are just costing more.

Trying to pin the blame on one particular individual is pretty pointless as Welk. We are where we are for several reasons that are all combining into one big cluster ****.

For some of us Kevin Keegan will forever be our record signing. For all the doom and gloom never forget the good times, following Saints will forever be a roller coaster, probably one with more downs than ups, but by jolly, we've had some ups along the way.

Well done. He doesnt listen though what he refuses to accept is that if Luggy had a few more games we may have stayed up too with his win record :-).

Hoddle the Messiah unemployed as a manager since 2004.

Troll .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comparing a Mickey Mouse competition to the league cup is laughable. We also didn’t finish 8th under Branfoot.

Oh please stop jerking off over Puel. Sittng through all those home games last season was painful, he HAD to go. Now let that be the end of it. Go and support Leicester if you think he's that great

Comparing a Mickey Mouse competition to the league cup is laughable. We also didn’t finish 8th under Branfoot.

What's "laughable" is you even mentioning that. I replied to SadoldNick's bleat about the final and compared them.

But don't let me spoil your Dalek-like boring repetition about Puel's magnificent league record. 17 points down on the previous season.

Even Branfoot didn't manage that,

The manager is responsible for the results, and team selections if not the recruitment.

Reed takes the blame for the appointment of the managers and recruitment so must be culpable.

But it does seem we lack direction from the top, and this is perhaps, Reed & Kruger's only defence.

I can't believe that Gao is not creating in the background over this, and if he isn't then we really are down the pan.

The manager is responsible for the results, and team selections if not the recruitment.

Reed takes the blame for the appointment of the managers and recruitment so must be culpable.

But it does seem we lack direction from the top, and this is perhaps, Reed & Kruger's only defence.

I can't believe that Gao is not creating in the background over this, and if he isn't then we really are down the pan.

Maybe the vvd money and our parachute payments will cover his loan so couldn't care less !?