Been waiting for this one - Gabbi out?

striker

Don't blame him atall, Gabbi needs a strike partner but the manager has no intention of playing 2 up front.

If\when he goes it will have been a huge waste of talent. The solution is to get a manager that believes in him and believes in 2 up front.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Gabbidani is a support striker, not a lone striker. However we as a club seem absolutley fixated on this one up to tactic at all levels, so we won't budge from that. MP needs to impose what he thinks fits, but you just get the impression that he has higher orders to adhere to, hence why he's not being sacked as no other f***ing manager would put up with it.

Play him as a support player to someone like Carrillo and it would actually gleen some decent returns I think. But we'll probably get rid of him in order to get Carrillo, otherwise we'll end up with another 'log jam of strikers'. We don't want that.

If there's any substance to this then it's farcical. Every time he plays he makes so many sharp, clever, incisive runs just crying out for someone with a bit of vision to play him in like Tadic did when Gabi first arrived, and he was scoring for fun as a consequence. Now we've changed to a "let's not score" policy he isn't getting those passes and any player like him will struggle to score. When he has scored this season it's mainly been when he's created the chance himself. Would be ridiculous to get rid, he was an excellent signing if played to his strengths.

Great, so we're essentially leaving ourselves with Shane Long to keep us up (provided replacements aren't incoming which looks unlikely).

Second January window that LR has weakened the squad.

Fantastic how you read this one link, on talksh*te of all places, and instantly assume it's a done deal and that we wont be signing anyone else.

Fantastic how you read this one link, on talksh*te of all places, and instantly assume it's a done deal and that we wont be signing anyone else.

Fantastic how you read this one POST - but it's being reported on quite a few sites not just talksport & they wasn't the first so why you need to be so A$$y with people?

His agent is apparently pushing for a move back to Italy as the player is royally fu_cked off with not playing.

Nothing concrete as to whether it's with the blessing off the club or just the agent doing the rounds.

The Gabbiadini situation is one of many poor reflections on the Manager - his failure to play our best players regularly, and get the best out of them.

Is it the manager or is he just not settled in England and wants to go back? If he was working hard in training, fully committed and looking like a good option, he'd be given a fair go in the team.

The manager can't be that stupid surely!

If we sell him we'll need 2 strikers....

Happy for him to go. In a different system he might be ok but he doesn't fit us at all and is anonymous most matches. We need to offload a striker to bring a good one in and he's bottom of the pecking order.

Or we could keep him, change our system and off load the Clown?

Get's my vote. 3-5-2, Gabbiadini + AN Other up top. We've suffered a lack of goals all season and the idiot imbecile that manages us doesn't realise that this is the result of playing with one striker.

Wouldn't be too fussed, I don't really like a player who does absolutely nothing unless he's being played through one on one or has it laid on a plate for him - and even then doesn't finish his chances more often than miss them. He's lived off that first run of games more than even Saganowski did off his loan spell, leading to people ignoring the fact that he has been absolutely atrocious this season.

It's easier to change 1 player than to change the whole system just to accommodate 1 player. For years we got along just fine playing 1 striker with Pelle/Lambert and quality around them. If we swap to 3-5-2 then we're starting the hardly prolific Long every game and that only leaves 1 place in team for either Tadic or Boufal who IMO are both better players than the 2 in front of them.

Wouldn't be too fussed, I don't really like a player who does absolutely nothing unless he's being played through one on one or has it laid on a plate for him - and even then doesn't finish his chances more often than miss them. He's lived off that first run of games more than even Saganowski did off his loan spell, leading to people ignoring the fact that he has been absolutely atrocious this season.

Judge him if he is atrocious in a good team who make chances and are free scoring. Dont judge him in a team that is either just not good enough or is playing in a collective strait jacket. If you dont like him for those reasons you must really be struggling to support anyone in this team at present.

Spot on.

For some reason he gets a free pass on here. He was awful at the end of last season and he’s been awful this season. He doesn’t look interested, yet people on here won’t admit it just because they want to take yet another dig at the Manager. I bet there’s not a queue of English clubs wanting to take him off our hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All three off our strikers have had opportunities over this season and last only one keeps coming up with the goods and that is Austin shame he can't ever stay fit.

Gabbiadini has started 9 matches, 3 goals. W 2 D 4 L 3 (lost 33%) with him, Won 3 D 5 L 8 (lost 50%) without him. He's hardly had much of an opportunity and I'd say we looked like a much better side with him in it against West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom, Brighton and even Burnley (who never should have won that match). Conversely, goalless draws home to Swansea, away to Huddersfield and the defeat home to Watford didn't make anyone look very good. The other match was Chelsea away.

Spot on.

For some reason he gets a free pass on here. He was awful at the end of last season and he’s been awful this season. He doesn’t look interested, yet people on here won’t admit it just because they want to take yet another dig at the Manager. I bet there’s not a queue of English clubs wanting to take him off our hands.

Disagree, the guy makes runs left right and centre and continues to do so, we just don't play the direct passes he thrives on because we insist on playing it out wide before it goes back into the middle. I will say Austin seems to have thrived on the service from out wide more than Gabbiadini, but I think that's got a lot to do with the way the rest of the team has played on those occasions as well.

That doesn't have to be about the manager, it was the pattern of play before him last season too and it seems obvious to me that most of our footballing ideology is guided by Les Reed.

Edited by The9

I would suggest that he is home-sick. Never under-estimate how difficult it can be to settle in a new culture, with a new language and so much unfamiliarity. Gabbiadini does not strike me as one with an international outlook; some individuals thrive in different cultures, others just crave the familiarity of home.. There is a reason so few British players move overseas, and few of those who do so are successful.

If the heart is elsewhere, team set-up and tactics are irrelevant. For his own sake, I hope Gabbiadini goes back to Italy and re-discovers his smile. I doubt he will move to a foreign country again.

Truth is he hasn't ever had a good goal scoring record at any club really!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

In fairness he's never had a decent run in the team anywhere he's been. You'll probably say that tells you everything, but I disagree. Strikers need games to develop form, & he's got a much better game to goal ratio than Shane. Gabbi is being severely mismanaged, he can't score goals if he's not in the team. He's obviously got the quality, saw that much under Claude.

People dissing Gabbi are the clueless football fans, watch him run off the ball and his movement he tried to run onto through balls and 1st time crosses into the box, him and Austin are great in the box strikers, we need the ball in the box, but when you have Redmond, Tadic and Boufal missing the runs not a lot you can do, Tadic is the best of the 3 picking his runs out, shame really as Redmond was picking his runs a lot last season.

MP needs to impose what he thinks fits, but you just get the impression that he has higher orders to adhere to, hence why he's not being sacked as no other f***ing manager would put up with it.

This is absolute ********. Where's the proof? I want stone cold facts, not assumption.

What you've said is fantasyland I'm afraid.

Both manager and players are not good enough. The board, coaching team and Les Reed aren't licking their lips with delight every time we lose because of some regimented tactical masterplan.

I think there's something very wrong behind the scenes morale-wise and Pellegrino can't do a lot more to resolve it, imo.

This is absolute ********. Where's the proof? I want stone cold facts, not assumption.

What you've said is fantasyland I'm afraid.

Both manager and players are not good enough. The board, coaching team and Les Reed aren't licking their lips with delight every time we lose because of some regimented tactical masterplan.

I think there's something very wrong behind the scenes morale-wise and Pellegrino can't do a lot more to resolve it, imo.

the players are good enough. Good enough to be 5 places or so further up the table.

to suggest otherwise is insane

Really? A first XI containing McCarthy, Stephens, Yoshida, Long, and a 33-year-old Davis is destined to struggle in this league I'm afraid.
Whereas a first 11 containing Hoedt, Soares, Austin, lemina, Bertrand and Boufal should not be facing the prospect of sliding into the relegation zone this weekend.

Whereas a first 11 containing Hoedt, Soares, Austin, lemina, Bertrand and Boufal should not be facing the prospect of sliding into the relegation zone this weekend.

Yeah, I guess so.

But Austin has been relegated with QPR already and Bertrand was part of an Aston Villa side that was safe by the scrape of their teeth before joining us.

That leaves three others that I doubt would be up for a fight, regardless of talent. Hoedt's the only one left I think can help.

Yeah, I guess so.

But Austin has been relegated with QPR already and Bertrand was part of an Aston Villa side that was safe by the scrape of their teeth before joining us.

That leaves three others that I doubt would be up for a fight, regardless of talent. Hoedt's the only one left I think can help.

that does not make sense. it is like saying Djimi Traore should have been signed to win the champions league for other clubs after his success with Liverpool in 2005

in reality, he was shyt

People dissing Gabbi are the clueless football fans, watch him run off the ball and his movement he tried to run onto through balls and 1st time crosses into the box, him and Austin are great in the box strikers, we need the ball in the box, but when you have Redmond, Tadic and Boufal missing the runs not a lot you can do, Tadic is the best of the 3 picking his runs out, shame really as Redmond was picking his runs a lot last season.

Absolutely this. I can’t remember another Saints player so badly wasted by his teammates. Gabbi is an intelligent centre forward, Shane Long makes one straight run through the middle, whereas Gabbi will make 2 or 3 in one passage of play hoping his teammates find him, but they very rarely do. I remember watching Austin against Sunderland last year and it was the same, he kept getting flagged offside and everyone around me was moaning, when the reality was that he made his run perfectly but him and Gabbi are the type of players that need the pass instantly, otherwise that split second of quick thinking results in them running offside. The players behind them are so scared of giving the ball away that they just don’t take the risk, and Gabbi as a result is starved of anything that remotely resembles good service.

Absolutely this. I can’t remember another Saints player so badly wasted by his teammates. Gabbi is an intelligent centre forward, Shane Long makes one straight run through the middle, whereas Gabbi will make 2 or 3 in one passage of play hoping his teammates find him, but they very rarely do. I remember watching Austin against Sunderland last year and it was the same, he kept getting flagged offside and everyone around me was moaning, when the reality was that he made his run perfectly but him and Gabbi are the type of players that need the pass instantly, otherwise that split second of quick thinking results in them running offside. The players behind them are so scared of giving the ball away that they just don’t take the risk, and Gabbi as a result is starved of anything that remotely resembles good service.

Ok so if Gabbi is an intelligent footballer why doesn't change his game up. Yes his team mates could do more but if he just keeps doing the same runs expecting his team mates to suddenly start finding him despite all the evidence they won't how intelligent is he?

Ok so if Gabbi is an intelligent footballer why doesn't change his game up. Yes his team mates could do more but if he just keeps doing the same runs expecting his team mates to suddenly start finding him despite all the evidence they won't how intelligent is he?

I would consider JWP to be an intelligent player, but you're not going to see him start dominating the midfield making bursting forward runs like Pogba... he's not that kind of player.

Just because you are 'intelligent' doesn't mean you can just completely change your game. Gabbi is good at running off the shoulder of the last man, our midfield aren't good enough (or aren't instructed, as it's 'high risk') to find them through balls.

If you expect him to overnight become excellent with his back to goal or to be fantastic in the air you will be disappointed.

I would consider JWP to be an intelligent player, but you're not going to see him start dominating the midfield making bursting forward runs like Pogba... he's not that kind of player.

Just because you are 'intelligent' doesn't mean you can just completely change your game. Gabbi is good at running off the shoulder of the last man, our midfield aren't good enough (or aren't instructed, as it's 'high risk') to find them through balls.

If you expect him to overnight become excellent with his back to goal or to be fantastic in the air you will be disappointed.

So in effect he can't adapt to the game we need him to play as a lone striker so we might as well part ways with no hard feelings.

So in effect he can't adapt to the game we need him to play as a lone striker so we might as well part ways with no hard feelings.

I'd say that, in effect, we need to alter our game to adapt to the players we've got, who've proven what they can do when utilised. The treatment of Gabbiadini recently has been one of the bigger facepalms the club has made amongst supporters. Someone has said it further up - we're relying on Shane '6-goals-a-season-striker' Long to keep us up. It's going to end in tears.

The squad is a decent squad, on the whole. Gabbiadini is one of the better parts of it, IMO. Not using him is madness.

Both spot on. A striker is only as good as the service he's provided and it's criminal that Gabbi has been wasted by the abject service. For some inexplicable reason we stopped doing the basics when he came back from injury last season and, surprise surprise, he didn't score. This season as soon as Austin was started we got the ball to the byline, crossed it first time and he was on the end of it. Don't get me started on Tadic being played on the right!!

I'd say that, in effect, we need to alter our game to adapt to the players we've got, who've proven what they can do when utilised. The treatment of Gabbiadini recently has been one of the bigger facepalms the club has made amongst supporters. Someone has said it further up - we're relying on Shane '6-goals-a-season-striker' Long to keep us up. It's going to end in tears.

The squad is a decent squad, on the whole. Gabbiadini is one of the better parts of it, IMO. Not using him is madness.

But if Gabbi is unable to adapt his game why are we assuming the rest of the squad can adapt instead?

The consensus is Gabbi needs us to play certain way to get the best out of him but that our other players can't provide that type of service so either Gabbi needs to adapt or the rest of the squad do either way we are requiring someone to deviate from their natural game.