New manager or New players

SKD

If you had to pick 1, what would it be?

For me, it would be a new manager.

I think we have got a decent enough squad (individually), we do lack a few key aspects:

- A focal point to our attacks. so a target man.

- Pace out wide.

- A commanding right sided CB who can bring some leadership on the pitch.

3 things we have lost and not replaced.

With our squad, we should be nowhere near where we are now. I'd argue with the current state of the PL, we have a squad comfortably good enough for top 10, maybe even 8 (after the big 6 then Everton and Leicester I'd say). I'm convinced that a competent manager would be able to get more out the squad we have and would keep us up, for this season at the very least.

For me, it seems like we lack leadership and respect on the sideline and over the past 2 seasons have had managers who have a fear of losing, rather than an appetite to win.

I've not seen anything from Pellegrino to suggest he has the ability to turn things around. We can't defend, can't score and recently seem unable to keep the ball for any period of time. I'm not sure a new player or 2 will help that.

Knowing us at the moment, we'll probably end up with neither.

"decent enough squad"

If the squad was as good as what Puel had then getting a new manager might be all we need. But there are signs that this squad is worse than Puel had for the 2nd half of his season.

The players we have include ones that were carry overs from previous regiems and have missed out from clear outs that should have happened with each new manager. Much as happened to us in the Prem relegation season when the then French head of our Academy said that there was not much quality in the squad.

"decent enough squad"

If the squad was as good as what Puel had then getting a new manager might be all we need. But there are signs that this squad is worse than Puel had for the 2nd half of his season.

The players we have include ones that were carry overs from previous regiems and have missed out from clear outs that should have happened with each new manager. Much as happened to us in the Prem relegation season when the then French head of our Academy said that there was not much quality in the squad.

How is it worse? I don't think we've lost anyone since then have we? van Dijk was injured, and he's the only one I think makes a big difference (i.e. him at his best vs him going through the motions).

In addition, Austin has been fit (for some of the season at least), Boufal has been fully fit, and we signed Lemina and Hoedt.

New manager on Monday

Monday til End of Season:

A new manager takes our players and initially just plays a formation that plays to our strengths and plays the best players for that in their strongest positions.

Using the remaining games he then improves them as players in that formation to get us across the line of the end of the season.

Pre-season he brings in players for the way he wants to play and then drills them on that approach.

Clearly right now a new manager might have an impact. The squad has clearly deteriorated the last couple of seasons and ultimately I don't expect any manager to be getting us back up to higher mid-table without major squad surgery. We should have enough to avoid the relegation that MoPe seems to be taking us towards however.

Having said that I think this season and our decline can't really be laid at the door of just one individual event or person it's the slow culmination of a bunch of factors that seem to have caught up with us.

How is it worse? I don't think we've lost anyone since then have we? van Dijk was injured, and he's the only one I think makes a big difference (i.e. him at his best vs him going through the motions).

In addition, Austin has been fit (for some of the season at least), Boufal has been fully fit, and we signed Lemina and Hoedt.

Jay Rodriguez and Van Dijk for starters and add in players getting older and slower such as Davis etc.

New manager on Monday

A new manager takes our players and initially just plays a formation that plays to our strengths and plays the best players for that in their strongest positions.

Using the remaining games he then improves them as players in that formation to get us across the line of the end of the season.

Pre-season he brings in players for the way he wants to play and then drills them on that approach.

Yep, this would be my approach.

In an ideal world, we'll bring in a new man Monday and he'll have 10 days to bring his own players in.

New manager on Monday

I was just about to say the same thing, wont bother now :lol:

New manager without a doubt.

Now what would people prefer if a new board was added to the list of options? That's a trickier question.

Right now it would have to be manager as the board can't directly impact on field performances, without changing players / manager, but in long term (i.e summer) I would have to say new board assuming they would replace manager & players.

Definitely new manager but the current guy isn't going anywhere.

Not saying the players have covered themselves in glory but until you get someone in charge who knows what they are doing it's very hard to judge them. Redmond for example gets a lot of stick but who knows - maybe with a more attack oriented manager he could be a very decent player? He certainly has the attributes.

If I'm right and MP stays till the bitter end then relegation becomes a real coin toss this season.

Jay Rodriguez and Van Dijk for starters and add in players getting older and slower such as Davis etc.

Ok, so van Dijk was injured the second half of last season. Rodriguez was sh1te. I'll give you Davis, but would rather Lemina over him in any case.

New manager, provided he can stand up to Leslie.

I only buy that approach if he is a manager not a coach (think Benetiz v Poch).

A coach improves players and manager just manages resources (hence always needs to buy or say who he needs to buy to improve) a coach will have a say but is confident he can improve whoever he gets.

I actually think Rodger, Poch, Dyche are all coaches who improve players whatever their standard to make the team stronger.

New manager on Monday

as ideal as this is- what happens if we hire another Pellegrino :(

Ok, so van Dijk was injured the second half of last season. Rodriguez was sh1te. I'll give you Davis, but would rather Lemina over him in any case.

Which may explain the form in 2nd half, 4 wins from end of Jan? Yet Puel still exited with twice the win rate that Pelligrino had.

I’m not a huge fan of hypotheticals, and in this case I want both but if I could only take one I’d sack Pellegrino.

The club should have fired Pellegrino after the Leicester debacle. I think we all knew at the time that Les and Co. would be too stubborn to do the obvious and get rid of him even at the point where it was blindingly obvious that a change of manager was required.

After firing Pellegrino in mid-December, a new manager could have come in and had time to discuss transfer targets with Les and Co. Perhaps we could have picked up a few better results, performed better, and enjoyed a slightly less precarious league position. Perhaps the new manager could have persuaded Theo that a return to Saints was the right move for him, instead of getting shown up publicly by Sam ****ing Allardyce.

Anyway, instead of giving the new guy all January to get his and the club’s targets planned and over the line, we’re in 17th, are stuck with a lame duck manager who may or may not get fired this weekend or next weekend or sometime next month, and one transfer target who may be coming because of a previous relationships with Pellegrino but who may or may not want to come if we fire Pellegrino after the Spurs game, potentially leaving us (as far as I can tell) with no transfer targets in the proverbial basket.

All that is to say, it has been a complete farce, and if the club has not yet run out of time to recover from this cock-up of elephantine proportions, soon it surely will.

Without doubt a new manager because we could sign Messi and still go down under this clown.

Any competent manager should be able at the very least to avoid relegation with the players we have so I wouldn't be too bothered about new players in this window.

New manager in now and then major squad surgery in the summer.

New manager.

People will say "but who do we get in??" And i say, "literally anyone!"

Some people didnt want Forster dropped because "we have no one to bring in" Well that hasn't work out too badly has it?

The facts are simple, no wins in 10, which is the worst run in all 4 divisions.

Let me repeat that, we are currently on the worse run of results in the whole of English football.

This clown HAS to go whilst there is a slight glimmer of hope of survival, its getting beyond a joke. I don't hate the guy, just feel a bit sorry for him being completely out of his depth, and the language barrier isn't helping at all

We'll be going down with this one, if only to support our new holier than thou, sub-Alex Ferguson belief that by sticking with him he will come good. He won't, because he's hopeless. And we won't see the Prem again for an age

I’m not a huge fan of hypotheticals, and in this case I want both but if I could only take one I’d sack Pellegrino.

The club should have fired Pellegrino after the Leicester debacle. I think we all knew at the time that Les and Co. would be too stubborn to do the obvious and get rid of him even at the point where it was blindingly obvious that a change of manager was required.

After firing Pellegrino in mid-December, a new manager could have come in and had time to discuss transfer targets with Les and Co. Perhaps we could have picked up a few better results, performed better, and enjoyed a slightly less precarious league position. Perhaps the new manager could have persuaded Theo that a return to Saints was the right move for him, instead of getting shown up publicly by Sam ****ing Allardyce.

Anyway, instead of giving the new guy all January to get his and the club’s targets planned and over the line, we’re in 17th, are stuck with a lame duck manager who may or may not get fired this weekend or next weekend or sometime next month, and one transfer target who may be coming because of a previous relationships with Pellegrino but who may or may not want to come if we fire Pellegrino after the Spurs game, potentially leaving us (as far as I can tell) with no transfer targets in the proverbial basket.

All that is to say, it has been a complete farce, and if the club has not yet run out of time to recover from this cock-up of elephantine proportions, soon it surely will.

Well said. Spot on!

New manager without a doubt. What I expect though will be for the club to stick with him, maybe get a loan signing or two as no decent player would risk joining us permanently until they know we are staying up... Then when there's no improvement in a few weeks they'll sack him but with no point in appointing new manager with no transfer window available, so step forward Kelvin to care take til the end of the season.

I really hope I'm wrong!

Whats Guus Hiddink up to these days? Chuck some money at him until end of the season
That's not a bad shout actually. I was thinking Van Gaal but Hiddink is brilliant. Sadly Reed would be intimidated by that appointment and we will only get a cheap option to replace Mr Bean. That considered and being realistic I would take Tim Sherwood. Anyone would be better than the one we've got. Still probably too opinionated for Reed though.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

New manager.

People will say "but who do we get in??" And i say, "literally anyone!"

Some people didnt want Forster dropped because "we have no one to bring in" Well that hasn't work out too badly has it?

The facts are simple, no wins in 10, which is the worst run in all 4 divisions.

Let me repeat that, we are currently on the worse run of results in the whole of English football.

This clown HAS to go whilst there is a slight glimmer of hope of survival, its getting beyond a joke. I don't hate the guy, just feel a bit sorry for him being completely out of his depth, and the language barrier isn't helping at all

Well said. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Even though Pellegrino appears out of his depth, I’m not so certain the answer definitely lies in his sack. I’m not confident a new manager has enough time to turn this pretty dire situation around unless 3-4 experienced Prem players are appointed...preferably not loans. But that will not happen...financially the club are against the ropes despite the supposed £75m from the VVD sale (never was going to be near that).

Based on the fact that we’ve played essentially the same style for more than 2 seasons, but pre-Puel with much higher quality, my feeling is that an enhancement in quality in our strike force may well be enough to get us out of trouble. Let face it, a couple of wins would completely change the face of our place in the table, the atmosphere in SMS and most importantly might restore much of the self-belief that seems vacant from the squad right now.

Now, having said all that, if Pellegrino has lost the changing room then all bets are off. Les won’t sack him IMO, so even with new signings whatever managerial nouse he may have will likely be completely lost on the players. Not only that, but my honest opinion is that Dear old Les has too much of an influence in football matters, also meaning that a new manager will have little or no effect...he will revert to “the Southampton (Les) Way” and ultimately fail with this unbalanced, Championship level squad.

PS: gives no pleasure doing the “told you so” thing, but I’ve been saying for months that our forward line is Championship quality and not good enough. How many goals? How many wins? Sad times...

I think that there is more chance of getting the Pope into St Marys and him blessing the stadium and team

than there is of this Saints management/owners lot sacking M.P. To sack him now would mean admitting that

they were hopelessly wrong and no one with a big ego likes to admit that.

He will go at the end of the season with a joint statement from the club and M.P. saying that he has a family

problem so is unable to stay. Saints will the add that they now have their sights set on a manager experienced

with getting a team promotion back to the PL.

How well this will all work out depends on who else from the whole management side retires, but I won't hold my

breath that any will.