Quincy Promes

CB Fry

Today's story of Spartak Moscow not agreeing to sell due to not being able to find a replacement in time sounds like BS.

As I understand it:

- If as reported we've met his release clause - then they'd have little say in the matter, and would be obliged to sell and it's up to the player to agree terms.

- I think a previous poster has already said that the Russian transfer window is open until 22nd February, so they'd have 3 weeks to find a replacement.

If the deal's off, then several of the reported 'facts' are contradictory.

Has that been reported? I think the consensus is we haven't done that hence why he isn't having photos taken in a saints shirt right now.

Today's story of Spartak Moscow not agreeing to sell due to not being able to find a replacement in time sounds like BS.

As I understand it:

- If as reported we've met his release clause - then they'd have little say in the matter, and would be obliged to sell and it's up to the player to agree terms.

- I think a previous poster has already said that the Russian transfer window is open until 22nd February, so they'd have 3 weeks to find a replacement.

If the deal's off, then several of the reported 'facts' are contradictory.

I don't think we have met the release clause and seems we have no intention of doing so.

People can have a pop at Reed if they wish but I tell you one thing, it's time so very under performing players step upnow. They know we've tried to replace them and it hasn't worked out so if they want to make a name for themselves theres places up for grabs. I'm looking especially at Redmond, Gabbi and Boufal/Tadic too. We need goals and if these players can add end products to their game they've got a spot in this team for the rest of the season and beyond. Someone has to step up now. Starting tonight.

People can have a pop at Reed if they wish but I tell you one thing, it's time so very under performing players step upnow. They know we've tried to replace them and it hasn't worked out so if they want to make a name for themselves theres places up for grabs. I'm looking especially at Redmond, Gabbi and Boufal/Tadic too. We need goals and if these players can add end products to their game they've got a spot in this team for the rest of the season and beyond. Someone has to step up now. Starting tonight.

I agree that the players need to be accountable, but what if either (a) their talent was over valued and/or (b) their 'fit' into the existing system wasn't clear. These are both valid questions that must be addressed by the man responsible for their recruitment.

Edited by Ashby Saint
Typo

Maybe we don't have a spare £35m sitting in the bank and we'd have to break our 'living within our means' operating model to make this deal happen?

Does a release clause have to be met in full with the initial payment then? Or can it met/satisfied with a guaranteed fee? My understanding is that it is the latter (and I may be wrong), in which case it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S It's 35m euros ;)

Does a release clause have to be met in full with the initial payment then? Or can it met/satisfied with a guaranteed fee? My understanding is that it is the latter (and I may be wrong), in which case it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S It's 35m euros ;)

I don't know, but it's been suggested consistently that the selling club are only required to sell if the release clause fee is met in full up front. If you offer it in instalments, which is what I believe we may have done, it can be refused.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't know, but it's been suggested consistently that the selling club are only required to sell if the release clause fee is met in full up front. If you offer it in instalments, which is what I believe we may have done, it can be refused.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to know the answer for definite. MLG would probably know :D

Maybe it's not how much, but how its paid? Les probably offered 5M down and the rest in instalments that match the VVD payments, the The Ruskies want all their Rubels up front.

Yes, I suspect you are right, it's more the timing of payment we can't agree to rather than the amount. This probably means that we don't meet all requirements of the release clause therefore Spartak aren't obliged to sell.

Personally, I can accept there are issues that might mean we can't sign Promes - it always seemed like it would be a difficult deal to get done, both in terms of agreement with club and player.

What I can't believe is that we don't seem to be further down the line in terms of a backup option. Still holding out some hopes that something is in the offing but they are keeping it quiet, but my confidence is fading!

What if we break the bank but still end up being relegated?

Then we insert a £30million relegation release clause into his contract? Unless he’s a total flop then surely somebody in Europe would take the punt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which should really be largely enough to get more points than three other PL sides. We have enough players, most of them are easily good enough if they're even at 90% of their capacity. Just need to click and score that extra goal to put games away.

In theory yep. Personally I would rather we didn't panic buy - if we cant get Quincy over the line then sobeit, I'm pretty sure we did all we can. Time for our current squad to step up to the plate, stop talking a good game, and go for it. If we go down, we go down - but at least go down fighting.

In the meantime - I'd rather gamble and not bring in 2nd choice players because our main target has not come off, if we stay up we have funds to get decent signings in the summer.

In theory yep. Personally I would rather we didn't panic buy - if we cant get Quincy over the line then sobeit, I'm pretty sure we did all we can. Time for our current squad to step up to the plate, stop talking a good game, and go for it. If we go down, we go down - but at least go down fighting.

In the meantime - I'd rather gamble and not bring in 2nd choice players because our main target has not come off, if we stay up we have funds to get decent signings in the summer.

I'm kind of with you on this. It's always disappointing when we don't sign someone, but the sports pages aren't exactly awash with player movements (so far). I honestly believe we tried to get both Walcott and Promes, so then how far down the pecking order do you go?

This squad is easily good enough. Fingers crossed that Guido is the glue that makes everything finally hang together going forward.

Que sera sera.

so let me get this straight, even though plan A failed HALFWAY through the window and we moved on to plan B, we have now aparently FAILED with a similar type of player in plan B (probably meaning we have identified a failing in our squad and feel its big enough to need a rather expensive player to fill it) you think people are in the WRONG to think 'les is an incompotent bellend'

man talk about making yourself look an idiot