Quincy Promes

CB Fry

It's on the page of Reuters global sports editor.
The original article quotes "the British press" as the source though and I havent seen that anywhere reliable over here i.e that he doesnt want to sign for us because of league position.

Crux is will we pay 30m and the answer to that is surely, no.

Hopefully our back is Dany N'Guessan who is surely an upgrade on Redmond or something.

Ossian Shine ‏Verified account @ossianshine 40m40 minutes ago

Russian media is reporting #SaintsFC will not pay full price for Quincy Promes, and that Spartak will not come down from 35m Euros... also say "the Dutchman himself does not want to go to one of the worst clubs in the Premier League" ...

Hahaha take that Les Reed! At least he is honest [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The original article quotes "the British press" as the source though and I havent seen that anywhere reliable over here i.e that he doesnt want to sign for us because of league position.

Crux is will we pay 30m and the answer to that is surely, no.

Hopefully our back is Dany N'Guessan who is surely an upgrade on Redmond or something.

Ossian Shine is A Saints Fan as well asx Reuters sports editor

Well, that's something.

Of course he could mean everything is false.

But let's have some hope. After all, he could have not commented about us at all.

Agree.

If I was being cynical, I think he is disputing the bit in quotation marks, but he could've stayed silent as you say.

However, the more I hear from him in interviews and press quotes the more I'm actually starting to realise his level of intelligence. He certainly appears to me to be a pragmatist and realist with an understanding of where he would like this team to go and how he would like it to develop.

What is the point in being able to talk well about your hopes and aspirations for your team, if you are incapable of actually translating it into achieving success on the pitch, where it matters?

We don't need an intelligent post-match analyst, there are plenty of pundits around, both during and after the match. We need somebody capable of tactically choosing the best team to face our opponents, one who can assess our strengths and weaknesses during the progress of the match and react to them strategically to influence the outcome in our favour.

Any assessment of Pellegrino's level of intelligence as a football manager depends far more on his ability to get his team winning matches, than his ability to speak pragmatically about why we lost yet another match.

What is the point in being able to talk well about your hopes and aspirations for your team, if you are incapable of actually translating it into achieving success on the pitch, where it matters?

We don't need an intelligent post-match analyst, there are plenty of pundits around, both during and after the match. We need somebody capable of tactically choosing the best team to face our opponents, one who can assess our strengths and weaknesses during the progress of the match and react to them strategically to influence the outcome in our favour.

Any assessment of Pellegrino's level of intelligence as a football manager depends far more on his ability to get his team winning matches, than his ability to speak pragmatically about why we lost yet another match.

I don't find his postmatch assessments particularly honest or instructive either, Les.

This. I'm most worried about his inertia during games. The mark of a tactically good manager is the ability to do three things. Pick the right team and formation, read the game and make proactive changes if things aren't working or the game situation changes, and respond to opposition changes in tactics, formation or personnel.

For me, MP only does the first. Which is why we've lost our way during so many games and thrown away winning positions.

I suppose a 4th thing is motivating players and I'm far from sure on that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Probably doesn't want to be associated with derogatory comments in public, but still might be privately be thinking it or at least along those lines.

I mean it's harsh but a fairly fair assessment of our current state and easily could be a reason for a player not wanting to join.

The optimist in my suggests he does want to join, and we wouldn't have got this far without encouragement from the agent/player, but the sticking point is the fee with Spartak, with us not wanting to pay over £30 million and pretty much doubling our record transfer fee.

Plus Spartak probably want the maximum possible as some is apparently due to Twente.

Les Reed 12 months ago...

"January is a very difficult window because it’s a panic window and players who are available in January are available for a reason.*

Unless you are going to break all kinds of transfer records or you are the type of club with the finances to do that whatever you do you are going to pay over the top and probably go for a player you would rather not have because the guy you want is not available*

Our focus is that we don’t panic and we are not tempted to patch things up"

Guess promes is a player we rather not have

"January is a very difficult window because it’s a panic window and players who are available in January are available for a reason.*

Unless you are going to break all kinds of transfer records or you are the type of club with the finances to do that whatever you do you are going to pay over the top and probably go for a player you would rather not have because the guy you want is not available*

We're just trying to replace Pelle & Mane properly.

Or a player we are going to break all kinds of transfer records for.

This insidious sniping is tedious and pointless.

This. I'm most worried about his inertia during games. The mark of a tactically good manager is the ability to do three things. Pick the right team and formation, read the game and make proactive changes if things aren't working or the game situation changes, and respond to opposition changes in tactics, formation or personnel.

For me, MP only does the first. Which is why we've lost our way during so many games and thrown away winning positions.

I don’t particularly trust his ability to get the first thing right, either, although his team selections have improved as the season has progressed.

He gets that wrong most of the time too (Redmond on left, Tadic on right, taking half the season to drop the statue in goal, not using Austin in our crucial early matches).

You have been very clear in your dislike for Pellegrino. However, the more I hear from him in interviews and press quotes the more I'm actually starting to realise his level of intelligence. He certainly appears to me to be a pragmatist and realist with an understanding of where he would like this team to go and how he would like it to develop.

In business, having a consistent strategy and committing to it wholeheartedly is more than half of the battle. He seems to have one and he is articulate enough to suggest he has the intelligence and competence to follow it through.

Admittedly, the results aren't going our way. So there is work still to do. However, in a bizarre industry where the riches disproportionately outweigh the volume of intellectual people. I'm starting to feel like, despite the current league standings - he is someone we should be backing. Not disregarding.

Clearly, I will always respect and consider insider and/or closer views. But I'm not sure how qualified you are to really guide opinion anymore?

You mean seems "intelligent" like Peter Sellers in Being There?

In business, having a consistent strategy and committing to it wholeheartedly is more than half of the battle.

This is utter rubbish. If your strategy is sh*te it doesn't matter how wholeheartedly you commit it. And half the time wholehearted commitment to a strategy is actually the problem (as the print news business will tell you at length).

I think you're mistaking a South American speaking slowly and clearly in a second language for having a clue about how to win football matches. Look at his selections and game management - he either has no clue, or his ideas are junk.

Sounds like this is a long way off happening. Hard to see it being done as we won't pay 30m IMO.

In the Echo Pellegrino adds that he isn't sure we would move on to another target if we don't get Promes.

Whilst obviously not MP's decision that would be madness. We are such a one paced side, even more with Carrillo and JWP in the front three.

To not get Walcott, Promes or an alternative and just end up with buying Carrillo and selling VVD would be a 2 or 3 out of 10 window IMO.

Sounds like this is a long way off happening. Hard to see it being done as we won't pay 30m IMO.

In the Echo Pellegrino adds that he isn't sure we would move on to another target if we don't get Promes.

Whilst obviously not MP's decision that would be madness. We are such a one paced side, even more with Carrillo and JWP in the front three.

To not get Walcott, Promes or an alternative and just end up with buying Carrillo and selling VVD would be a 2 or 3 out of 10 window IMO.

Spartak would probably prefer to wait until the summer where they would have more interested clubs in for him. Not many clubs will shell out £30m in January. If we want him we have more chance in this window but we will have to pay a premium to do so. We desperately need someone with pace and a genuine goal threat.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Amazing how some love it when something derogatory is posted about the club.........
Have you made up the list of all the posters you claimed were in meltdown over this ?

Just looks like a few people thought it was funny.

Not like you to attack posters rather than have an opinion though [emoji23]

Take what ? No one claimed it was a true quote but its certainly funny . Pull your head in son

So a fake quote was enough for you to gleefully post a “take that Les” swipe, put when said quote is publicly refuted it is not ok to sarcastically point that out to you?

Maybe you should wind your neck in a tad eh? Son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promes clearly not coming. Hope we’ve moved on

If there’s no agreement now we have to move on. Not long to get someone else in.

Would be hard to imagine that when you input our requirements into the black-box for a speedy wide-man & an alleged £30m to spend that it would only throw up Theo & Promes as results.

I fear we don't have a back-up in mind.

If that's the case and after signing only Carrillo during a month where we've sold VvD for £75m would be pretty sh*te.

I really wouldn't worry. He'll probably be down for a medical tomorrow or Tuesday. We probably have 2 back ups, let alone one. It would be rare if this kind of deal didn't go down to the wire. Van G needs to look out for Southampton bound flights!

Yeah, you know it's getting real when we're watching the skies :)

Hope you're right.

Not sure how SSN are necessarily counting this as new news, but I'll post it anyway :)

SAINTS NEGOTIATING FOR PROMES

Southampton are in negotiations to bring Spartak Moscow’s Dutch winger Quincy Promes to St Mary's, Sky Sports understands.

Last week we reported the player is keen on a move to England, but Spartak are holding out for a fee in the region of £30m.

Southampton signed Guido Carrillo on Thursday but that hasn’t dimmed their interest in Promes, who has been capped 25 times by the Netherlands.

Can’t see us signing him, think it’ll be tight but my gut says he’ll stay in Russia and we’ll be left with the usual “we tried but it’s really hard” bull**** as usual.

We should be actively negotiating with other targets and their teams at the same time as Promes in case this happens. If we get Promes, we pull out of the other deals.