Quincy Promes

CB Fry

We can't really blame Saints for this. If the Russians don't want to sell him then they won't, no matter what we say or do this end.

We've made an offer, player appears to be willing to move but the Russians hold the nap hand.

Personally I'm not sure buying a huge ego in is a sound move but I'm usually wrong anyway.

Perhaps Heisenberg met them at Moscow airport and that put them off coming, after he gave them his in depth knowledge of football...only teasing

Why? He's not really a similar player firstly. He likes to come off the wing with the ball at his feet rather than break lines and beyond defenders ala Promes and Mane.

Secondly we're not the only team who haven't opted for him and he's been available more than once at least before.

That's a fair point apart from Sisto being far more similar to Mane than Promes is.

Am I missing something here? 12 pages of speculation over this guy and NO mention (that I can find) of him in any of the gossip columns?

You haven't looked very hard! There are multiple articles linking him with Saints over the past weeks in newspapers... plus Pellegrino has publicly confirmed the club's interest in Promes in press conferences.

But surely if they'd said "No, not under any circumstances", we wouldn't still be pursuing it right down to deadline day. If they're holding us to ransom, we should pay the ransom - much like we did with VVD.

This, exactly stop messing about and get it done!

If we meet the release clause I don't see how Spartak have much of a say in it.

Maybe we aren't bidding at a price to meet the clause. Just because there is one in the contract doesn't mean that is what he is worth. I believe Pique has one in his new contract for €440M, nobody would ever bid that for him though would they..

Fair enough. I should probably add that my viewing is restricted to BBC sport and the Guardian.

Promes to Saints have been mentioned on the BBC gossip page multiple times in recent weeks.

Plus the Guardian have mentioned Promes multiple times in conection with Saints...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/southampton-deal-sign-guido-carrillo-monaco

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/27/southampton-watford-fa-cup-match-report

Anyone got the feeling he's going to be paraded on the pitch before the game tomorrow night as our record new signing ?

When was the last time we did that? I'm thinking Papa Wagio, in league 1, doing keepy ups in his white shirt and expensive Italian shoes before doing that weird goal celebration thing in front of the Northem.

When was the last time we did that? I'm thinking Papa Wagio, in league 1, doing keepy ups in his white shirt and expensive Italian shoes before doing that weird goal celebration thing in front of the Northem.

Rudi Skacel!

He signed on the pitch. We even got him a wonky wodden table to sit at.

Social media team has to get back to these production values. Gritty and lo-fi.

Edited by shurlock

Summary here:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-need-pay-close-e35m-want-transfer-done-wednesday/

So his release clause is €30m but an additional €4.5m is to the player, so €34.5m before wages are taken into effect.

We want to pay no more than €27m, nearly €8m short of what it will take.

If this is true, then surely its obvious we won't be suddenly adding a whole €8m to what we are offering until now before the end of tomorrow?

Unless it changes very quickly then even logistically it will be nigh on impossible to complete such a big deal within a day.

Virtually all the other big deals that have been talked about for a while, Aubameyang, Laporte, Moura etc are at much more advanced stages than still being millions of Euros apart.

Massively unlikely.

Summary here:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-need-pay-close-e35m-want-transfer-done-wednesday/

So his release clause is €30m but an additional €4.5m is to the player, so €34.5m before wages are taken into effect.

If this is true, then surely its obvious we won't be suddenly adding a whole €8m to what we are offering until now before the end of tomorrow?

Unless it changes very quickly then even logistically it will be nigh on impossible to complete such a big deal within a day.

Virtually all the other big deals that have been talked about for a while, Aubameyang, Laporte, Moura etc are at much more advanced stages than still being millions of Euros apart.

Massively unlikely.

Nobody knows exactly what’s in the release clause but you can well imagine the clause is poorly drafted and doesn’t make explicit who pays the player’s 15%. Otherwise I can’t think why Saints would still be offering less than the trigger of 30m a day before the window closes.

Anyone got the feeling he's going to be paraded on the pitch before the game tomorrow night as our record new signing ?

yeah. Personally I think the deal is all done and dusted, it's just the final editing of the unveil video that's taking longer than expected. Maybe Promes didn't like the drawn version of himself and it had to be reworked.

Summary here:

Massively unlikely.

Isn't there a massive flaw in that logic? Promes' contract is with Spartak, not with Southampton. So he is owed 15% of whatever money they receive. If they receive €30m, presumably they have to accept and pay the player out of those funds. I can't see how Promes can possibly have a contract where the buying club have to pay him 15% of the transfer fee, because that contract would be between him and all non-Spartak clubs.

It's possible that his release clause is actually higher than €30m to allow for the 15% fee, but surely (?) there's no way Southampton would be obliged to make some sort of additional payment on top.

Edited by mrfahaji

Isn't there a massive flaw in that logic? Promes' contract is with Spartak, not with Southampton. So he is owed 15% of whatever money they receive. If they receive €30m, presumably they have to accept and pay the player out of those funds. I can't see how Promes can possibly have a contract where the buying club have to pay him 15% of the transfer fee, because that contract would be between him and all non-Spartak clubs.

It's possible that his release clause is actually higher than €30m to allow for the 15% fee, but surely (?) there's no way Southampton would be obliged to make some sort of additional payment on top.

It's also entirely possible that Spartak will agree to let him go for less than the amount specified in the release clause if they feel that it's still a good deal for them and the player makes it clear he wants to go.

It's also entirely possible that Spartak will agree to let him go for less than the amount specified in the release clause if they feel that it's still a good deal for them and the player makes it clear he wants to go.

As if a release clause for a player in a Russian club would be in euros anyway. All of the figures bandied about are pure guesswork.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Similar price to Walcott then. I wonder if we will increase that now or not? You would think they would have to if they want to keep some credibility and not push the fans to riot level later in the season.

It is a case of push until deadline day and hang on for best price, i suspect we will get him for 26 -27m

Riot! Bit over dramatic TBF, no one is going to do that