Quincy Promes

CB Fry

We were also jealous of everyone's signings in the summer. I remember how awesome everton and bournemouth were going to be.

We've lost someone who wasn't playing and didn't want to be here and signed a striker.

The big mistake is Pellegrino is still here. Give him Messi, he's still Pellegrino and we're still going to struggle to stay up.

Why people obsess all the time about big signings when Gabbiadini and Lemina are regularly out the team I don't know. We're at our best as a club and have our best seasons when we have a decent manager making 1/2 first team signings and finding a consistent team. Adding loads of new players will be a nightmare with a manager who still doesn't know his team after 6 months.

I completely agree but I’ve resigned myself to Pellegrino being here until the situation is utterly desperate (ie if we lose the next two but even then I’m not convinced he’ll get the sack). In the absence of a managerial change we needed an active window to try and inject something and at the moment, despite exciting names being leaked to appease a disgruntled fan base, we’ve not delivered save for a player that the fans are rightly sceptical of given he’s a Pellegrino signing. If we get Promes it’ll have been a decent window and we will have invested in a big way given our recent history but it’s a big if. Even then, we are probably still a CB short.

We were also jealous of everyone's signings in the summer. I remember how awesome everton and bournemouth were going to be.

We've lost someone who wasn't playing and didn't want to be here and signed a striker.

The big mistake is Pellegrino is still here. Give him Messi, he's still Pellegrino and we're still going to struggle to stay up.

Why people obsess all the time about big signings when Gabbiadini and Lemina are regularly out the team I don't know. We're at our best as a club and have our best seasons when we have a decent manager making 1/2 first team signings and finding a consistent team. Adding loads of new players will be a nightmare with a manager who still doesn't know his team after 6 months.

News flash pal: our best players left ages ago.

This in spades. Caught a bit of coverage of Stoke yesterday on Sky I think it was. Paul Lambert has banned phones from the canteen and asked his players to talk to each other instead. He's also as polite to the shirt cleaners as the rest but advocates being tough enough but nice enough as a balance. I think they'll shoot up the table under his leadership. And we will struggle on with someone who just seems like he is at sea without a paddle. Nice bloke, possibly, but that won't cut it. And Les is banking on this gamble being one he can dine out on for years, when it looks foolhardy. A manager is worth any number of marquee signings

We can't really blame Saints for this. If the Russians don't want to sell him then they won't, no matter what we say or do this end.

We've made an offer, player appears to be willing to move but the Russians hold the nap hand.

Personally I'm not sure buying a huge ego in is a sound move but I'm usually wrong anyway.

But surely if they'd said "No, not under any circumstances", we wouldn't still be pursuing it right down to deadline day. If they're holding us to ransom, we should pay the ransom - much like we did with VVD.

Let's also not forget that this team is more than good enough to pull away from trouble without any signings. We have some very good players capable of some really good performances. We're not doing well right now, but if we do go down, I honestly don't think it will be because we didn't sign people in January.

We can't really blame Saints for this. If the Russians don't want to sell him then they won't, no matter what we say or do this end.

We've made an offer, player appears to be willing to move but the Russians hold the nap hand.

Personally I'm not sure buying a huge ego in is a sound move but I'm usually wrong anyway.

I thought there was a release clause? Didn't "the Russians" already confirm that?

But if there is a release clause and we pay it Spartak have no choice but to accept ?

Let's also not forget that this team is more than good enough to pull away from trouble without any signings. We have some very good players capable of some really good performances. We're not doing well right now, but if we do go down, I honestly don't think it will be because we didn't sign people in January.

Agree, other than with respect to centre back where we're pretty weak.

Simon Peach‏Verified account @SimonPeach 6s6 seconds ago

#SaintsFC’s attempts to sign Quincy Promes being met by resistance - player understood to be interested but, understandably, Spartak Moscow are not keen to let their best player go

Hasn't it been suggested he has a release clause in his contract? So, if we satisfy the release clause then it doesn't matter how keen they are to keep him, does it?

(Edit: Trousers....read previous posts before asking the same question that several others have already asked, you clot!)

At the moment we’re almost completely reliant on Tadic and Boufal for our creativity. We can improvise here and there -push Lemina further up, play Gabbi as one of the three behind the striker etc, though none of these options are proven. The issue is one of personnel and am pretty sure we’d be looking to strengthen this area regardless of league position.

Think the club have backed themselves into a corner on this one, if he doesn't sign, whether that's because of us or other parties, the club will get the blame, if our only incoming is Carillo I think things could turn nasty at the ground pretty quickly, especially if results don't go our way.

Personally I think the club have to pay what Spartak are asking, getting this player will go someway to appeasing fans and this is what's needed right now after we've suffered an entirley avoidable disaster of a season (so far), all of which looks to be the boards making through decisions. With the impending relegation scrap we find ourselves in the club need the fans behind them and like it or not signing good players, whether overpriced or not is what's needed. If we get away with it this year, then maybe next time the club are trying to be cheap, or too clever they'll have a little think.

So to be blunt.

After Sturridge (cheap loan), and theo (wages), the board are now baulking at another asking price... and won't pay it (i.e. release clause).

Honestly, did these utter cretins not realise that if you sell VVD before signing players, that the prices and wages will all go up? They certainly won't come down. And if we are minted there is no excuse not to pay the damn asking prices!!!

FFS.

This board and whoever is involved in recruitment needs to go asap as it stands.

Personally, I think this one gets done. Millbrook has made a good case above and there appears too many positive 'vibes' (for want of a better word) around this one (his liking of certain social media posts (which as dopey as it sounds holds some weight these days), Russian media's stance softening, Crook saying it won't happen (which is a blessing in itself)) and the fact that we simply don't survive without this injection of pace and assists. We need a pacey outlet to move stubborn defences around and to make room the other pedestrians in our team.

As bad and as useless as the board has been over the last few years, I believe even they know this...why they can't work on a deal for an animal of a CB at the same time is beyond me however!

Edited by Greedyfly

Buzzing for the PR spins from the club's favourite journalists as we finish the window with just one signing.

Still need a CB but everyone at the club seems arrogant towards that - again.

And blind to the need to improve the GK dept as well.

Personally, I think this one gets done. Millbrook has made a good case above and there appears too many positive 'vibes' (for want of a better word) around this one (his liking of certain social media posts (which as dopey as it sounds holds some weight these days), Russian media's stance softening, Crook saying it won't happen (which is a blessing in itself)) and the fact that we simply don't survive without this injection of pace and assists. We need a pacey outlet to move stubborn defences around and to make room the other pedestrians in our team.

As bad and as useless as the board has been over the years, I believe even they know this...why they can't work on a deal for an animal of a CB at the same time is beyond me however!

I give us a 60-65% chance of getting it done. Thought overcoming the player’s resistance to joining the club was a bigger issue and it appears we’ve done that.

Release clauses have to be paid up front, I would expect that to be the problem.

And blind to the need to improve the GK dept as well.

Nothing new there, we once thought going in to a premier league season with just Kelvin and Gazza was a good idea. Our blind spot when it comes to goalkeepers has been one of the most irritating things about us over the last 5.5 years. It has cost us every season.

The one thing I can't understand is if there is a release clause of €30M and Promes is entitled to 15% why have we got to pay the additional amount?

That should be coming out of the release clause.

Exactly this. But I fear we have left it too late to argue about it now.

It's more likely having to pay the lot up front if we do. Stage payments. if we negotiate without triggering the payment without Spartak's agreement.

Can't the club take out a 36 month 0% credit card, pay Spartak up-front and pay the balance back to the CC company over 3 years. Well, that's what I did for my new boiler a couple of years ago.... :)

Still can't believe we haven't chucked a £15m bid in for Sisto.

Why? He's not really a similar player firstly. He likes to come off the wing with the ball at his feet rather than break lines and beyond defenders ala Promes and Mane.

Secondly we're not the only team who haven't opted for him and he's been available more than once at least before.