Quincy Promes

CB Fry

Putting transfer rumours in the press that then don't happen doesn't give the club a meaningful PR boost. If anything it makes the situation worse as it ****es the fanbase off.

Of course they do. You just have to value the short term boost as greater than the risk of not being able to mitigate the long-term consequences of your story not panning out.

At the time, we were in free-fall in the league and all our early-window promises about signings had evaporated. I can absolutely believe that the club put out a face-saving rumour about Promes on the understanding that in 6 months we'd either be relegated, or in a position to spin a further story about priorities changing etc.

maybe but if the story about McCarthy in the Echo was fed to them by the club then his sceptic outlook might be right

Why?

Seems to be a realistic story outlining the Options available

In the end it all depends on McCarthy

Why?

Seems to be a realistic story outlining the Options available

In the end it all depends on McCarthy

why ?

i refer you to the line about any contract for McCarthy would account for a significant chunk of the wage budget.

Doesn’t exactly suggest any big signings will be in the offing this summer.

why ?

i refer you to the line about any contract for McCarthy would account for a significant chunk of the wage budget.

Doesn’t exactly suggest any big signings will be in the offing this summer.

Our clubs forgotten how to offload players that aren't forcing a move. Too many pats on the back at the board for the increase in assets thanks to all these average players on long contracts.

Just watched the England game and saw Ahmed Musa come on, possible warning sign for Promes? Mus is a similar quick, young forward who did well in Russia and then was pretty rubbish in the PL and has been loaned back to CSKA, and has started scoring goals again (6 in 10 I think)

Just watched the England game and saw Ahmed Musa come on, possible warning sign for Promes? Mus is a similar quick, young forward who did well in Russia and then was pretty rubbish in the PL and has been loaned back to CSKA, and has started scoring goals again (6 in 10 I think)

Hard to infer much from half a season at a club that was suffering a hangover - looked very dangerous against Arsenal in the Europa League.

We were linked with him in the past.

Did the club ever say such a thing?

No - and nor would they...but Adam Blackmore, Jeremy Wilson, Simon Peach etc, all said that was the case...keep the fans content for a terrible Jan window. We've been utterly incompetent in the last few years in certain areas.

No - and nor would they...but Adam Blackmore, Jeremy Wilson, Simon Peach etc, all said that was the case...keep the fans content for a terrible Jan window. We've been utterly incompetent in the last few years in certain areas.

Did they all say it was 100% signed and sealed for a summer move? I don't think they ever went that far.

Wasn't it more the case of them saying the club would look again at bidding for him in the summer? Which is not the same as saying the deal has already been wrapped up for the summer.

If anyone believed anything but the opposite of what the club says with regards to transfers then they are fools. Sorry. But that has to be said by now. By "club", I include all media outlets the club commonly use. i.e. Wilson Et al.

Media speculation. Local journos trying to make it sound they knew more than they did. Fans are fools if they were taken in by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone believed anything but the opposite of what the club says with regards to transfers then they are fools. Sorry. But that has to be said by now. By "club", I include all media outlets the club commonly use. i.e. Wilson Et al.

This is my favourite article from last season: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/28/southampton-keen-daniel-sturridge-ready-make-audacious-move/

:lol:

The ultimate...."keep the fans happy by leaking a few names out there" jobby.

It does look that way.

Sturridge, Walcott, Shaw, Sessegnon, Tosun, Mawson.... which one happened?

"Southampton’s scouting network is also active across Europe, especially in France where one potential deal is close..."

It does look that way.

Sturridge, Walcott, Shaw, Sessegnon, Tosun, Mawson.... which one happened?

"Southampton’s scouting network is also active across Europe, especially in France where one potential deal is close..."

Otherwise known as £19m panic buy!

• 2 weeks later...

“Quincy Promes has been arrested in Ibiza. This is reported by the VI Oranje Blijft Thuis program . The attacker of Spartak Moscow was involved in a fight.

Promes might have also beaten his girlfriend. Before he left for Russia, Promes played in the Netherlands for, among others, FC Twente.”

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/2233784/quincy-promes-gearresteerd-op-ibiza

A few more details here...

“Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 23:04

Quincy Promes has been involved in a fight in Ibiza, claims Johan Derksen on Thursday-evening at VI Oranje stays at home. The Dutch national team, after a step-up with Wesley Sneijder, who, according to Derksen, had nothing to do with the brawl, broke away from his wife.

"Promes has gone through the ribbon in Ibiza, where his blows have fallen and his wife is said to be one of the victims, and other people who wanted to appease were also beaten ," says Derksen in the RTL4 talk show. Promes was out in the evening with Wesley Sneijder, among others. "But he was already gone at the moment of the incident, his agent says."

According to Derksen, a friend of table mate René van der Gijp was an eyewitness. Presenter Wilfred Genee says that there are several sources that confirm the story. According to the VI men, Promes was even arrested by the Spanish police.”

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/824744/nieuwtje-van-derksen-en-co-promes-betrokken-bij-grote-vechtpartij-op-ibiza.html

“Quincy Promes has been arrested in Ibiza. This is reported by the VI Oranje Blijft Thuis program . The attacker of Spartak Moscow was involved in a fight.

Promes might have also beaten his girlfriend. Before he left for Russia, Promes played in the Netherlands for, among others, FC Twente.”

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/2233784/quincy-promes-gearresteerd-op-ibiza

Hmm... Sisto then.

• 1 month later...

https://en.as.com/en/2018/08/29/football/1535555770_918311.html

As above looks like he is going to Sevilla for significantly less then we were quoted.

Can't help but speculate on why we were allegedly given a £30mil plus pricetag while Sevilla, by many standards a 'bigger' club, are getting a reasonable deal.

Real shame as he looked the sort who could have added something to our team.

As above looks like he is going to Sevilla for significantly less then we were quoted.

Can't help but speculate on why we were allegedly given a £30mil plus pricetag while Sevilla, by many standards a 'bigger' club, are getting a reasonable deal.

We were desperate and known to be.

And I don't think he has the right mentality anyway. Move on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought he had a minimum release clause of £25m-£30m, and that on top of that we would also have to pay his cut of the transfer - at least that was the talk (though I never understood how it was our responsibility to pay something in his contract with Spartak).

So it would seem that was all a load of b0110cks.