If you protest today you are...

Alain Perrin

... helping to seal relegation in my opinion.

There’s no doubt we’re in a pit, confidence and form are shockingly bad and maybe MP isn’t the man to lead us out of it.

However, the club need signings to give it a kick up the arse and the window for that is closing. Imagine if you considering a move and you see a poisonous atmosphere / see the manager on the brink - that could sway opinion.

Before the forum’s resident decorators (any colour as long as it’s black or white) jump in, this is not the only factor. You’d hope players were mentally strong enough to ride it out - but if you’re on the pull, do you go home with the girl you know has an STI or one that you know hasn’t?

A house divided amongst itself etc...

COYR!

Got to say, it’s hard to disagree with that logic. What many will tell you is said potential incomings will not give a fig about a minority of protesting fans because the money will be the deciding factor and anyway, if they’re good enough (and most Prem players think they are) to change the fortunes of their new team, then it’s an opportunity to be a hero and earn them a lucrative deal to a top 6 club (read Liverpool) in a season or two.

There’s no doubt we’re in a pit, confidence and form are shockingly bad and maybe MP isn’t the man to lead us out of it.

However, the club need signings to give it a kick up the arse and the window for that is closing. Imagine if you considering a move and you see a poisonous atmosphere / see the manager on the brink - that could sway opinion.

Before the forum’s resident decorators (any colour as long as it’s black or white) jump in, this is not the only factor. You’d hope players were mentally strong enough to ride it out - but if you’re on the pull, do you go home with the girl you know has an STI or one that you know hasn’t?

COYR!

Completely agree with this. Maybe if we go 3-0 down a protest is warranted, but a toxic atmosphere from the start only depletes our already slim chances of getting a result. We should go into every game ready to support the team and react accordingly as the game unfolds, rather than arrive with the express intent of chastising.

Go into things with a negative attitude and they to turn out negatively. im hoping for a win to take us up to 14th. COYR!

Agree with this 100%.seen enough relegation battles over the years to know the way you need to fight your way clear. Protest isnt the way forward. although look back to the Dark branfoot Days and it there was no other alternative.

the question is whether you think we are back in similar times.

Totally agree. Supporting the team gives the best chance of a good result.

In some ways I see this game as a free hit. We likely won't get anything and most results went well yesterday with only Stoke winning in the bottom half.

The biggest games are Brighton and WBA plus the whole of March - that will determine our fate.

Was noticeable the positivity and excellent atmopshere at Anfield last week when Liverpool beat City. We could do with some of that, otherwise I feel playing at home is a disadvantage to us. You know all the oppos will be saying keep it tight, score first and the crowd will turn on their team.

Reed et al will know they have made some bad decisions, MP will know his position is precarious. They don't need pieces of crap A4 photoshop waved in their faces to work that out.

We'd have still been stuck with Lowe or Branfoot without protests.

That it's come to this is down to the board and our useless manager.

If things were ok on the pitch in the first place nobody would be protesting.

Stoke's protesting fans got a win yesterday under their new manager and are out of the bottom three.

COYR!

Garbage.

1. We're down already

2. Even if half the Northam ran on the pitch to help out, we'd lose to Spurs

3. If the board and manager realise just how fed up we are it MIGHT cause a change of heart about manager and MIGHT kindle a tiny chance of saving ourselves.

Agree with this 100%.seen enough relegation battles over the years to know the way you need to fight your way clear. Protest isnt the way forward. although look back to the Dark branfoot Days and it there was no other alternative.

the question is whether you think we are back in similar times.

The statistics tell us this is MUCH, MUCH WORSE than the Dark Branfoot days. MoPe's record is abysmal, even compared to Branfoots. And with Branfoot we had MLT.

When are some of you going to dig you heads out of the sand ???

Regardless of opinions, there won't be much in the way of protest today unless we start getting hammered. A 1-0 loss with us defending all game will elicit discontented murmurings at best and some half hearted boos at full time. I'm sure Alan perrin and his ilk will be content with that outcome.

Simo, aintforever and Hypo are spot on.

Even a section of the fan base is sleepwalking to the Championship

As usual Alpine, you throw hyperbole from your distant mountain lair.

No one is sleepwalking except you and you glass is three quarters empty brigade. The point of my post that you, Simo and Hypo Miss is that we need new recruits in THIS transfer window. It has a week left.

If there are significant protests today then I fear it may influence player decisions negatively.

I am not against protests per se - that is people's choice, even if I disagree - just the timing.

Protest if you want

Just remember that regardless of who is the manager the club will still have its fans

A lot of our younger fans probably don’t remember 10 years ago

This is not FIFA. This is reality of a business having to make harsh decisions to to be competitive.

The atmosphere at St Mary’s over the last year has been poor, The Northam is like a library compares to few years ago.

Go to the game, get behind the team then vent your spleen at the end of the game.

No one is sleepwalking except you and you glass is three quarters empty brigade. The point of my post that you, Simo and Hypo Miss is that we need new recruits in THIS transfer window. It has a week left.

If there are significant protests today then I fear it may influence player decisions negatively.

I am not against protests per se - that is people's choice, even if I disagree - just the timing.

Agree about the timing. It should have been a month ago.

I'm undecided as to what the best course of action is at this moment in time. I can see pros and cons of protesting and not protesting (which, of course, makes me "uncourageous" and "without conviction" according to the self appointed Saintsweb intelligentsia... ;) )

However, I'm inclined to agree with the OP regarding today's game.

There is every chance that today's game will be watched by our prospective signing(s) (either at the stadium or remotely on TV). I don't think we should underestimate the impact a negative atmosphere might have on their decision to join the club.

Yes, we are in danger of relegation and fans not protesting in some shape or form could be equally unhelpful to our fate, but I feel the time to unleash the cavalry is after the window has closed, not before.

The danger of doing it before the window closes is that we end up shooting ourselves in the foot and/or cutting off our nose to spite our face.

And, yes, I accept the danger of leaving it until after the window is that we could find ourselves in stable doors and horses bolting territory.

However, after today's "free hit" game there is only one more league game before the end of the window. As such, I would venture that the difference between protesting today versus starting the protests on 1st February is negligible.

So, whilst I'm still undecided on the benefits of protesting at a conceptual level, it's fairly clear in my mind that starting the ball rolling before the window closes is, on balance, not the right thing to do.

Edited by trousers

I'm undecided as to what the best course of action is at this moment in time. I can see pros and cons of protesting and not protesting (which, of course, makes me "uncourageous" and "without conviction" according to the self appointed Saintsweb intelligentsia... ;) )

However, I'm inclined to agree with the OP regarding today's game.

There is every chance that today's game will be watched by our prospective signing(s) (either at the stadium or remotely on TV). I don't think we should underestimate the impact a negative atmosphere might have on their decision to join the club.

Yes, we are in danger of relegation and fans not protesting in some shape or form could be equally unhelpful to our fate, but I feel the time to unleash the cavalry is after the window has closed, not before.

The danger of doing it before the window closes is that we end up shooting ourselves in the foot and/or cutting off our nose to spite our face.

And, yes, the danger of leaving it until after the window is that we find ourselves in stable doors and horses bolting territory.

However, after today's "free hit" game there is only one more league game before the end of the window. As such, I would venture that the difference between protesting today versus starting the protests on 1st February is negligible.

So, whilst I'm still undecided on the benefits of protesting at a conceptual level, it's fairly clear in my mind that starting the ball rolling before the window closes is, on balance, not the right thing to do.

Its already past that point.

Its already past that point.
That's your opinion. Other people have different opinions. We won't know whose opinion turns out to be correct until the end of the season. Might be worth keeping your "glad I was proven wrong in hindsight" card up your sleeve, just in case.... (I can supply you with a new one if your old one is too worn out due to over use... ;) )

But anyway, it seems like we're in agreement that the difference between starting the protests today or on 1st February are negligible, given "we're already doomed"...

Edited by trousers

Leave protests until the end of the game, or at least till the last 10 minutes or so if we're losing badly.

We we need to win this game, and what little chance we have will be made even less if the crowd get on the players' backs.... And the bloody annoying spurs fans will love it if the crowd is protesting before or during the game.

Problem is I'm all for supporting players but to me there seems to be no fight in the players, they don't seem to want to play for mp , if there is no fight in players what in God's name can we do but accept the inevitable, imho the only thing that can change is a new manager that the players can respect/work with this will make a huge difference even without signings

I believe nearly everyone on here is a fanatical Saints fan, otherwise they wouldn't be on here but people react to adversity in different ways.

Some try to adapt to the new reality, make the best of it and offer support whilst others see themselves as victims of a disaster and want to blame and fight everyone.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, one position is probably too passive and the other too aggressive.

In this rapidly changing world we all have to adapt to some extent to changing situations or we are toast. It is hard to fight because you are going against the tide and as far as football is concerned many people have more important things in there lives to fight.

The best you can hope for is the tide to turn. Sometimes it does as in politics and sometimes it doesn't (technology).

In football it often does, eventually.

COYR!

Whilst your logic has some merit it only points even more to position we are in. Bottom three is most definitely a massive cross against coming here and much more powerful that the natives making some negative noise ...

We are in the bottom three for s very good couple of reasons and nothing has been done. Indeed senior management seem almost totally oblivious.

So calm and logical as your idea might be this is a crisis in football terms now and it’s time for the uprising

The big dissuading issue is not the crowd it’s bottom three and bottom of the form League in the whole country....

Walcott is a shining example of that!

COYR!

If the Board were to act like a Board should there would be no need to protest.

COYR!

Have you actually seen any games this season?

I think relegation is already sealed.

Maybe MP isn't the man.......no sh1t!

The club need signings......yes we do, but with this bloke in charge they ain't coming are they.

So lets just sit there with an appreciative smile on our faces and thank the lord we have air to breathe.

Players will make little difference if we keep this manager. Besides, protests will have little to no effect on players. If someone decides to come here then it will be for the money and they will be fully aware of our situation.

Protest if you want

Just remember that regardless of who is the manager the club will still have its fans

A lot of our younger fans probably don’t remember 10 years ago

This is not FIFA. This is reality of a business having to make harsh decisions to to be competitive.

The atmosphere at St Mary’s over the last year has been poor, The Northam is like a library compares to few years ago.

Go to the game, get behind the team then vent your spleen at the end of the game.

Blame 31 league goals in 31 league games for that...we scored 17 goals in 19 home games last season...thats our record low you know?

Previous to that the lowest was 21 goals at home in a season.

This year we have 14 already despite being really rubbish...

Well I for one am protesting today ... voting with my feet. We're going to get thumped, the atmosphere will be somewhere between dreadful and toxic, the players look like they can't be arsed, the manager clueless and the board directionless. It's cold, wet, the game is on tv. Shame I have a season ticket so it won't really hit the club in the pockets, save for an overpriced pie and pint. But if anyone connected with the club thinks they've done anything in the last month or so to deserve me making any sort of effort to support them they're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Bee a supporter for almost 40 years and there's times when I've been sad, angry and disappointed. Don't ever recall feeling this apathetic though. Maybe it's my age but I'm finding it a real struggle to be bothered right now.

Totally agree. Supporting the team gives the best chance of a good result.

In some ways I see this game as a free hit. We likely won't get anything and most results went well yesterday with only Stoke winning in the bottom half.

The biggest games are Brighton and WBA plus the whole of March - that will determine our fate.

Was noticeable the positivity and excellent atmopshere at Anfield last week when Liverpool beat City. We could do with some of that, otherwise I feel playing at home is a disadvantage to us. You know all the oppos will be saying keep it tight, score first and the crowd will turn on their team.

Reed et al will know they have made some bad decisions, MP will know his position is precarious. They don't need pieces of crap A4 photoshop waved in their faces to work that out.

I agree with this. It's a shame that some of our fans don't show as much passion and enthusiasm for getting behind the team as they do with a chance for a protest.

I think its a tough one really. Reed and co have really ****ed this club up and Kat sold us down the river so you can understand peoples anger.

However the most important thing we can do is cheer the players on and try and support them. But if we go say 0-2 down pretty quickly and the players/manager continue to look as though they don't give a **** then they will deserve everything coming their way.

Its easy for the staff/players to come out and say stick together etc but they themselves have to show effort/passion and give the crowd something to cheer. If they do nothing and we get smashed I can see it becoming pretty hostile which is such a shame but its a natural consequence of how everything has gone.

I agree with this. It's a shame that some of our fans don't show as much passion and enthusiasm for getting behind the team as they do with a chance for a protest.

Unfortunately, enthusiasm from the crowd won't bestow improved managerial abilities on Mauricio Pellegrino and whilst we have him at the helm we will go down no matter what the fans do or say.

Our support has been pretty bloody fantastic recently (5,000 at Fulham in the cup, full away end at Watford) when you consider how bad its been. Didn't Steven Davis taking a dig at us for being "unhelpful". Tell you what's "unhelpful", players and managers making basic mistakes which cost us goals and results.