Silva sacked at Watford

eurosaint

MOTD extra mentioned an issue with Silva was his reluctance to change tactics and insisting on only playing one up front - sound familiar? I'd support him if he came him but would still prefer Koeman personally.

The same Silva who brought Deeney at half-time last week and went 2 up front?

I'm with you on Koeman though.

I'd get him him, people were talking about him for the Arsenal job a few months ago and Everton were obviously desperate to have him.

He has had an impact at both Premier League clubs he has gone into, both with worse squads than ours and seems to get the players working harder, covering more ground and he is not negative either. I'm sure as well that Richarlson was his signing so I'd reckon he'd probably have a decent say in transfers as well.

Sure they are not a great run but obviously he lost focus a bit after the Everton approach and that impacted the team as well.

When a manager gets sacked, there seems to be a long delay whilst their legal teams agrees compensation with his old club.

Even if MP gets sacked tomorrow, Silva will not be available for a while, as Watford would not pay much compensation if his is already back in employment.

I think Silva will "take time to consider his options" which will mean scouting players for a few months until BFS gets the bullet at Goodison.

Yes it's almost like people think he is just going jump in his car and drive down to SMS to beg for the job and been in post by tomorrow.

Where as Everton have made no secret of the fact BFS is a temporary appointment and Silva is very much on their radar.

A more likely scenario than him taking over a struggling saints side is him taking a nice winter break before joining Everton in the summer.

I'd say we have a better squad and an unbalanced first 11.

Either way, Watford started really well and then had a poor run. We did the same the season we came 6th. It happens. You won't find clubs outside the elite who don't have a poor run. The trick is doing off the back of a good run, not just being consistently rubbish as we've been!

If you'd mixed up Silva's results, had the exact same points, goals etc but in a more consistent order, he wouldn't have been sacked. But the way they get through managers I wouldn't judge any of them too much. I'd love Silva or Sanchez Flores here instead of MP.

But Koeman would probably be better.

I mean I'd rather have a fresh start under Vieira and some investment, but this isn't the time for long-term planning really.

However you look at it, they're on a run as bad as ours, thus on current form he's no better than MP. It's current form that we need.

Sky sports saying Watford already have their new boss lined up and will be announced in next 24-48 hours and he's a foreign manager with zero premier league experience.

That is how you replace a manager - the already lined up bit. Take note Les & Co.

Watford were on a terrible run of results. I thought he would be fired after the first half in our game against them but based on the second half display he managed to pull his nuts out of the fire for one week.

Closer to 18th than to 8th. Isn’t that your Puel argument???? ffs

Not sure I've made a "Puel argument" but completely ridiculous to suggest that leading a team into the top half is "equally as bad" as leading them into the relegation zone.

Yes it's almost like people think he is just going jump in his car and drive down to SMS to beg for the job and been in post by tomorrow.

Where as Everton have made no secret of the fact BFS is a temporary appointment and Silva is very much on their radar.

A more likely scenario than him taking over a struggling saints side is him taking a nice winter break before joining Everton in the summer.

They gave Sam a 3 year contract. What are you talking about?

Why do people think 1 up front = negative and 2 = positive? It's about how you approach the game. Man City play 1 up front and couldn't be more attacking. We played 1 up front for ages and were a good attacking side. Burnley often play 2 up front but keep it very tight and solid.

Saints problem has been completely isolated attackers, endless passing backwards and negative approach.

Nail on head.

Silva is perhaps the best of what's available atm. His record doesn't inspire, but let's not forget that WGS's managerial claim to fame before he came to us was taking Coventry down.....

However you look at it, they're on a run as bad as ours, thus on current form he's no better than MP. It's current form that we need.

That's the key phrase here. Silva has at least shown himself to be capable, before the whole Everton saga. MoPe on the other hand is just Wigley with better hair.

[/b]Silva is perhaps the best of what's available atm. His record doesn't inspire, but let's not forget that WGS's managerial claim to fame before he came to us was taking Coventry down.....

Silva is the best available IMO.

He also has something to prove as he still has doubters. He has to get back to the level where he was earlier in the season.

That's the key phrase here. Silva has at least shown himself to be capable, before the whole Everton saga. MoPe on the other hand is just Wigley with better hair.

That's utter boll0cks. Wigley had great hair.

Judging by the presence of at least four Marco Silva threads on here, I assume that posters are keen on him.

He’s a mercenary- the situation at Watford proves that. The first big club to come along and bat their eyes at him, and he’d either be off or we’d get a repeat of Watford.

If it’s a matter of just bringing him in short term, like Hull City did, it might work largely on the basis that he’s probably better than Pellegrino.

Judging by the presence of at least four Marco Silva threads on here, I assume that posters are keen on him.

He’s a mercenary- the situation at Watford proves that. The first big club to come along and bat their eyes at him, and he’d either be off or we’d get a repeat of Watford.

If it’s a matter of just bringing him in short term, like Hull City did, it might work largely on the basis that he’s probably better than Pellegrino.

you see i dont mind that- means he will have done well with us! same applies to players.

We are the perfect showcase club for people who get their head turned.

opps sorry I forgot...its like Walcott desperate to sign until evil Les drove him up to Mersyside himself and forced him to sign for Everton.
We all know that when anything goes wrong here there's only one person to blame. @easyscapegoats.com.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

They gave Sam a 3 year contract. What are you talking about?

Because contracts are water tight in football

Anyway I was reading the other day that the owner (forgotten his name) was asked about BFS staying beyond the end of the season and his answers gave the impression BFS was not in Everton's plans after this season.

Fair play - this morning Sky saying they definitely wouldn't announce his replacement today.

Anyone think we could do that?

Lowe did for the Gray/Strachan appointment, on a Sunday evening as well as I recall, and Cortese did for Adkins/Poch. As for Reed, we can hope, but it seems unlikely for the Master of Dither to act in such a fashion, our dealings are far more drawn out.

The biggest questions from me are, assuming Silva would even be interested in the job are:-

1. Would Les etc want him as Silva seems a strong minded character who would want his own way?

2. Would Les etc allow him to do things his way without interference from Les?

3. Would he be allowed to get rid of the present lot of back room staff?

The biggest questions from me are, assuming Silva would even be interested in the job are:-

1. Would Les etc want him as Silva seems a strong minded character who would want his own way?

2. Would Les etc allow him to do things his way without interference from Les?

3. Would he be allowed to get rid of the present lot of back room staff?

Alternatively it might be an appointment to the end of the season, massive bonus to keep us up.

If I was in Reed's shoes I wouldn't expect him (Silva) to be looking any longer than that. It seems pretty clear he covets the Everton job*.

*Perhaps Les will see this as another opportunity to fleece them for compensation when he leaves for them though.

Because contracts are water tight in football

Anyway I was reading the other day that Moshiri was asked about BFS staying beyond the end of the season and his answers gave the impression BFS was not in Everton's plans after this season.

found the link

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/11/sam-allardyce-wembley-nothing-to-lose-everton-future-tottenham-hotspur

It was a crass choice of words on Moshiri’s part but in regards to Everton’s on-pitch fortunes, not the most significant thing he said to shareholders gathered at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall. Arguably that was his response when asked how far Sam Allardyce can take the club, having been appointed manager in November. “We’ll have to wait and see,” Moshiri said. Such a clipped, less-than-enthusiastic reply felt telling.

Still think Everton will move for Silva in the summer especially as BFS isn't pulling up any trees.

well if this bit true he certainly won't be coming here

When Silva took the job in the summer he was looking forward to working in the Pozzo’s continental model, which was why he took the job in the first place. But in reality he was frustrated that he could not sign all of the players. When he arrived at Hull City last January, Silva could sign who he wanted: Evandro Goebel, Omar Elabdellaoui, Lazar Markovic and so forth. But when he arrived at Watford, where Filippo Giraldi is in charge of transfers, it was not so simple. The club signed Richarlison at Silva’s request. But there were plenty of Silva targets they could not get, like Benfica centre-back Jardel or Shakhtar left-back Ismaily.

Silva’s agitation about transfer targets caused friction with the Watford board

Christ the Puel stuff is tedious.

Why do some, and not just Saints fans, struggle with the difference between 'X did a poor job at this club' and 'X is a rubbish manager'?

Puel seemed to have done alright in some jobs before. He did a poor job here and got sacked. Maybe that made him reassess a few things, or maybe he's just having a better run of a form with a squad that won the premier league. Who knows. I wish him well but don't especially care how Leicester do...although normally I'd be wanting to be above them.

We watch Saints and talk about Saints so why you'd judge on anything except someone's time here is beyond me. He struggled, we went backwards. It wasn't a disaster, just a decline. This season is the disaster and the fault lies purely with the poor managerial pick in Pellegrino, and the failure to rectify it when painfully obvious it's been a disaster.

I'm wondering why do some struggle with the difference between 'X did a poor job at this club' and 'X did a decent job at this club under the circumstances'.

Saints team from that game was Forster, Martina, Yoshida, Virgil, Bertrand, McQ, Davis, Clasie, Reed, Boufal, Long

That's at least 8 first team regulars.

Saints team when they lost 5-0 to Arsenal (a few days after their League cup semi-final victory over Liverpool).

Lewis

Martina

Stephens

Gardos

McQueen

Højbjerg

Reed

Clasie

Sims

Long

Isgrove

The problem with the team is with the quality in the team. The Les Reed gamble of selling our best has not just removed our best players but rotted the ambition and competitiveness of those who remain.

It was a strategy always doomed to fail.

But, to motivate players for the relegation fight you need a tough no nonsense scary bloke in charge - which is why teams head for the Hodgsons, Pulis’, Big Sams etc. Managers who can organise and motivate premadonnas for a short term purpose.

Our manager appears to be a top half, long term build but shielded by enough quality to not have to worry about staying in the league - which is where we all thought Saints should be.

But we are not. We are not because of gross mismanagement in the Boardroom.

So what? We have a manager in unfamiliar Territory with a poor squad who is now even having to play relatively unproven 17 year olds.

It’s a tough call - sack MP? Well he will be useless in the Championship- something the Pardews give you - but he might be good in a couple of years if we fluke it and stay up. As I said it’s a hard call.

I want to give him a chance. But I want to survive.

Yesterday however showed some players care - JWP, even Bernard. MP has addressed the goalkeeper situation, he’s had the courage to ditch the clueless Redmond (Les Reeds buy). He’s tried to change the tempo and instil some fight.

But he is not the manager needed to guarantee success in a fight.

For me it depends now on reinforcements and spending £75m. But we won’t... because we never have reinvested in the team after selling.

MP showed he had something whilst working with nothing yesterday. My conclusion? Stick with him - if he gets his reinforcements be amazed with our Boardroom, but back him. If he doesn’t get reinforcements (& I doubt he will get enough) then sack him and take Silva or a Pardew,Lambert,Big Sam, Pulis type but do it by the end of the transfer window when we know what we have. We are going down, despite some trying harder yesterday. We are still going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with SaintRobbie. I want us to play the long game unless we look like getting cut adrift - the next couple of matches are crucial.

I don't think the squad is bad - just look at those around us and see who you'd swap out. My opinion is the problem is two fold, ability to score and motivation - and motivation so deep seated, it is difficult for any manager to shift. I am not sure Silva or anyone is the answer here.

The cause of motivation issue? It's clear Saints cannot grant every player their wish to leave but, post cup final particularly, some of our key players have been looking over their shoulders wanting away. It's the unintended consequence of selling people, those left behind think why not me.

The cause of the scoring issue? Buy another Pele to hold the ball up. If you score goals (I think Graeme Le Saux made this point yesterday), it relieves pressure on the whole team.

The guts of the machine are there, we just need some oil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p056sqj7

The above link is a clip from the BBC from Tim Vickery back in the summer. Listen to it and hear the glowing report he did on Pellegrino. Fast forward six months and a fair chunk of Saints fans are probably wondering what the hell he was on about!:lol:

I'm not really sure who it is that is pushing the agenda for these coaches, but it feels like Marco Silva has got a cracking PR team behind him. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, he hasn't done a bad job at all so far in his managerial career. But is he really THAT good? Jury's out for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p056sqj7

The above link is a clip from the BBC from Tim Vickery back in the summer. Listen to it and hear the glowing report he did on Pellegrino. Fast forward six months and a fair chunk of Saints fans are probably wondering what the hell he was on about!:lol:

I'm not really sure who it is that is pushing the agenda for these coaches, but it feels like Marco Silva has got a cracking PR team behind him. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, he hasn't done a bad job at all so far in his managerial career. But is he really THAT good? Jury's out for me.

Lol. States he hasn't done a bad job in his managerial career then questions whether he's that good.

Win % is over 50 and considering some of the **** he's managed that is pretty impressive. Seems some on here just see that Hull got relegated but fail to realise they were rock bottom when he took over with some absolute **** to work with.

I don't actually think he's a long term solution either BUT I'd more confident of staying up AND whilst seeing some attacking football

Got his head turned by Everton and Watford have one win in the last eleven and nosediving. I don't get the hype. People celebrate him because he ALMOST kept Hull up, but the reality is, he didn't.

Not what we need right now.

The reality was Hull were well adrift at the time he took over, it looked hopeless. Yet he had them in with a chance up until the end. With a couple more wins on the board when he took over he would have kept them up. With your argument Pep Guardiola could take over a team that had lost it's first 19 matches, and fail to keep them up and you would label him a failure.

The reality was Hull were well adrift at the time he took over, it looked hopeless. Yet he had them in with a chance up until the end. With a couple more wins on the board when he took over he would have kept them up. With your argument Pep Guardiola could take over a team that had lost it's first 19 matches, and fail to keep them up and you would label him a failure.

You miss my point. If we were comfortably mid table or in pre-season I would say that he is a good option (even then I would have reservations about his attitude if someone else came calling). But we are in a relegation battle and his only previous experience of that ended in relegation. It's a significant risk in our current position.

If we (we won't) replace MP now then it needs to be someone with significant Premier League experience.

Edited by georgeweahscousin

You miss my point. If we were comfortably mid table or in pre-season I would say that he is a good option. But we are in a relegation battle and his only previous experience of that ended in relegation. It's a significant risk in our current position.

If we (we won't) replace MP now then it needs to be someone with significant Premier League experience.

So by this logic you would have Tony Pulis over Silva?

Looking at his (Silva's) previous record it looks like he is a bit of an impact manager (arguably just what we need). We are only 6 points away from 10th, I'd be a lot more confident in getting those 2 wins in our up and coming fixtures with Silva than what I would MP.

If Silva was to come in, with his style of play, he wouldn't need to change a great deal - he'd just need to get players onside and get more out of them.

So by this logic you would have Tony Pulis over Silva?

Looking at his (Silva's) previous record it looks like he is a bit of an impact manager (arguably just what we need). We are only 6 points away from 10th, I'd be a lot more confident in getting those 2 wins in our up and coming fixtures with Silva than what I would MP.

If Silva was to come in, with his style of play, he wouldn't need to change a great deal - he'd just need to get players onside and get more out of them.

On a short term deal to keep us up? Absolutely.

FWIW - Adam Blackmore said to me on Twitter that the club chose MP over Silva in the summer.

Personally I think that's bullsh*t (timelines of the appointments would suggest this too) and he's lapped up what the club have told him - however, IF it is true, then hard to see him jumping at the chance of coming here.

FWIW - Adam Blackmore said to me on Twitter that the club chose MP over Silva in the summer.

Personally I think that's bullsh*t (timelines of the appointments would suggest this too) and he's lapped up what the club have told him - however, IF it is true, then hard to see him jumping at the chance of coming here.

It is bullsh*t, I can assure you.

We spoke to Silva early doors in the summer (I know at least 1 board member wanted him), but the club decided that Tuchel was the better option (we put all our eggs in the Tuchel basket).

Silva didn't want to wait around (can't blame him) and decided to go to Watford.

MP wasn't our first, second or probably even 3rd choice - it was a case of having MP or FDB (who the club had ruled out the previous summer).

It is bullsh*t, I can assure you.

We spoke to Silva early doors in the summer (I know at least 1 board member wanted him), but the club decided that Tuchel was the better option (we put all our eggs in the Tuchel basket).

Silva didn't want to wait around (can't blame him) and decided to go to Watford.

MP wasn't our first, second or probably even 3rd choice - it was a case of having MP or FDB (who the club had ruled out the previous summer).

I've heard this too and that's from someone on the Watford side. They were surprised he didn't end up here and felt it was a foregone conclusion. Blackmore has been the club apologist since the calls for MP to be sacked have increased.

I've heard this too and that's from someone on the Watford side. They were surprised he didn't end up here and felt it was a foregone conclusion. Blackmore has been the club apologist since the calls for MP to be sacked have increased.

On the other hand Blackmore probably knows more about the situation than you or SKD