Saints vs Watford FA Cup thread 27/01/18

Bad Wolf

McCarthey

Cedric Stephens Hooedt McQueen

Hojnberg Romeo JWP

Boufal Gabbi Tadic

Bench: Forster, Yoshida, Lemina, Obafemi, Davis, Bertrand

IMO we should keep a strong team, try and keep the momentum going. Just give a one or two fringe players a go. I'd also like to see Obafemi get a half an hour run out. It might be too much pressure on him to start.

Obafeme has looked great in the U18s this season so would like to see him get a run out in the cup. Would rest Romeu, partly due to his bookings tally. Yoshida back in if fit. One spot on the bench for either Redmond or Gabbi.

McCarthy

Cedric - Hoedt - Yoshida - Bertrand

Lemina - Hojbjerg

Sims - Boufal - Tadic

Obafeme

Bench: Forster, Pied, Stephens, JWP, Davis, Redmond or Gabbi, Long

AM

CS - JS - JB - RB

ML - PEH

JWP - MO - TD

MG

I wouldn't risk Hoot in this one as we're one knock away from Stephens and Bednarek starting league games. (Have a horrible feeling Hoot is Virgil's replacement in Les' mind). Romeu I think is nearly on a suspension.

I’d love to win this and get a cup run going, but clearly the club are going to prioritise Brighton at home in midweek. Watford also have a big game away to Stoke on 31st so if both sides make many changes it will be a battle to see who has greater squad depth.

Fair play to Watford, they’ve sold just over 3000 so far and are confident they’ll shift all 4500 tickets by next Saturday, will hopefully make it a decent cup atmosphere.

We desperately need to create a team, let them gel. It's not the time for resting players, we haven't had that many games and have rotated like fck already this season.

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

JWP Højbjerg Lemina Tadic

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Totally agree with this statement, I accept that over the Xmas period when we have 2 or 3 games in a week, changes are inevitable but now the priority is teamwork and the best way to achieve this is through consistent selection !

Key partnerships in defence, midfield and up front can only develop this way IMHO.

Clearly there will be some injuries, suspensions and maybe even one or two new signings in the mix but the fundamental challenge now is to find your best side and stick with it !

I often consider that managers think that they are ever so clever and that rotation proves it but when you look at the most successful one right now (Pep G) he seems to do it far less than the others !

IMO it would be mental not to rest at least:

Hoedt - only quality CB we have

Romeu - on 8 yellows

Tadic - only effective creative player

Bednarek must start at CB to give him game time as will likely be needed in the league assuming we don'!t bring in another CB.

I would rest Romeu, I think he went to 8 bookings today, which is too close to a 2 match ban and there are 2 very important games the following week.

Good plan. Play Hojbjerg deeper, give Boufal a start in the number ten role. Maybe play Davis or JWP instead of Lemina as he has previously been nursing that knock.

Other than that, I would pick our "best" team, other than giving Yoshida some match time if he's fit.

Getting Gabbi or Long scoring is more important than giving Obafemi game time.

Good plan. Play Hojbjerg deeper, give Boufal a start in the number ten role. Maybe play Davis or JWP instead of Lemina as he has previously been nursing that knock.

Other than that, I would pick our "best" team, other than giving Yoshida some match time if he's fit.

Getting Gabbi or Long scoring is more important than giving Obafemi game time.

I'm currently convinced Boufal needs to play for us to win a game.

May rest a couple of midfielders as it’s start of a huge week, but would play a strong team. As bad as things look we have actually lost one in five in all competitions and this is a very winnable game. Bring in Long, Boufal and Davis for Gabbi, Tadic and Lemina. Possibly rest both fullbacks as we need them bombing on in the next two games, and Yoshi May come back. So maximum six changes albeit good players coming in.

Although I don't particularly care about a cup run this season, we need to keep the winning feel-good factor going and we're less likely to do that with a second-rate team. The momentum and motivation that comes from winning could be vital for us at this stage. Equally, losing that feeling so quickly after the Spurs game, could set us back again.

Therefore, I'd rest a couple (Bertrand, Romeu, Stephens if he's injured) but I'd keep a strong team. It will also give Gabbi a chance to get back to his best and get used to playing with that team.

If we're in a good position by the end of the game, then make changes to rest key players.

Although I don't particularly care about a cup run this season, we need to keep the winning feel-good factor going and we're less likely to do that with a second-rate team. The momentum and motivation that comes from winning could be vital for us at this stage. Equally, losing that feeling so quickly after the Spurs game, could set us back again.

Therefore, I'd rest a couple (Bertrand, Romeu, Stephens if he's injured) but I'd keep a strong team. It will also give Gabbi a chance to get back to his best and get used to playing with that team.

If we're in a good position by the end of the game, then make changes to rest key players.

I do. Assuming we can stay-up, which I don't think a cup run will have a negative impact on, then a good cup run could actually make this an enjoyable season.

Call me stupid if you like, but I'd give Redmond a go, see how he reacts to being dropped for a couple of games. I'd rest hoedt and romeu, and give boufal a run out. I might even give Forster a chance as well. Any ideas if hesketh is fit? Assuming not I'd go

Forster

Cedric Stephens Yoshida McQueen

Peh lamina

Redmond Davis © boufal

Gabbi

Subs McCarthy bednarek Bertrand jwp Romeu sims long

Of course, that assumes we haven't signed dozens of new amazing players by then ...

Normally I'm up for the cups and all for playing strong teams. When a club like ours are comfortably mid table we should be having a good go at the cups...however given our current predicament and lack of squad depth, due to injuries and form, I wouldn't be bothered about a second string and save our best team for the Brighton game.

Normally I'm up for the cups and all for playing strong teams. When a club like ours are comfortably mid table we should be having a good go at the cups...however given our current predicament and lack of squad depth, due to injuries and form, I wouldn't be bothered about a second string and save our best team for the Brighton game.

The Brighton game is Wednesday night. There are three completely clear recovery days in between, plus Wednesday. Plenty of recovery time and if we win we are only two rounds away from a semi-final at Wembley. Although we're in the relegation zone, we're only something like six points off ninth place.

I say, go for it. By all means rest a few in terms of considering accumulated fatigue and possible suspensions but the attitude that we shouldn't be bothered is to my mind just plain wrong. What's the point of being here supporting Saints? Let's win something. We've seen what happens when you finish near the big boys - you just get picked apart; so let's go for it. A bit of luck and a favourable draw... you never know.

The Brighton game is Wednesday night. There are three completely clear recovery days in between, plus Wednesday. Plenty of recovery time and if we win we are only two rounds away from a semi-final at Wembley. Although we're in the relegation zone, we're only something like six points off ninth place.

I say, go for it. By all means rest a few in terms of considering accumulated fatigue and possible suspensions but the attitude that we shouldn't be bothered is to my mind just plain wrong. What's the point of being here supporting Saints? Let's win something. We've seen what happens when you finish near the big boys - you just get picked apart; so let's go for it. A bit of luck and a favourable draw... you never know.

I agree with you. Personally, I am sick of this disrespect for the FA Cup. Getting through to the 5th Round will start to create a buzz in the fanbase and within the club - which will help in our fight against relegation. Play a full, settled team!!

Just about sums up what I was about to write myself. Presumably Watford will be looking at resting players as well. Start with a strong team, and maybe swap a few around if we get into a comfortable

position ..... (tries to forget being 2 up and only drawing at their place!!).

No playing 17 yr olds for the sake of it ... this needs to be taken seriously. Ask any fan or player who was at Wembley in March and that was for a tin pot trophy ;-)

A shambles like we saw against Arsenal last year will just ruin any positive atmosphere created on Sunday and ramp up the pressure on the BHA game as well. A result against Watford and beat Brighton and suddenly we go into the next game on the back of a good spell of form.

Forster in for me, see how he's taken the dropping. Hope he plays well and flog him to 'Pool for £50m?

Rest our most important players, I'd rather lose with no casualties than win with Bertrand/Cedric getting injured or Romeu getting another yellow.

It will be interesting to see how strong a side Watford play, I'd imagine their best team given it's Gracia's first game. Hope the fans are in good booing voice for the volleyball player.

A shambles like we saw against Arsenal last year will just ruin any positive atmosphere created on Sunday and ramp up the pressure on the BHA game as well. A result against Watford and beat Brighton and suddenly we go into the next game on the back of a good spell of form.

Forster in for me, see how he's taken the dropping. Hope he plays well and flog him to 'Pool for £50m?

Rest our most important players, I'd rather lose with no casualties than win with Bertrand/Cedric getting injured or Romeu getting another yellow.

It will be interesting to see how strong a side Watford play, I'd imagine their best team given it's Gracia's first game. Hope the fans are in good booing voice for the volleyball player.

This is the trickiest of fixtures, and i find myself partially agreeing with both of you. Although not as high a priority as it would be in a normal year, i wouldn't drop McCarthy, I would however rest Romeu for the yellow card risk. As our central defenders aren't exactly on top form anyway, I'd be tempeted to bring in Alfie Jones at CB, and hope he can emulate Obafemi's perforance and provide competition. But agree on resting Cedric and Bertrand.

The cup final was the joint third best day I've ever had as a Saints fan, along with the 03 cup final and Inter away. OK we lost all 3 but I'd love another day out so I hope we go for it.

It was third behind them, or joint third with them? If the latter, that begs the question, what are 1 and 2?!

I actually preferred the semi final at Villa Park in 03 to the final. I'd put the 2-0 v Everton (Pahars) in 99 and Le Tissier's last goal at the Dell up there too. That Le Tissier goal was the greatest moment in life, never mind football.

McCarthey

Cedric Stephens Hooedt McQueen

Hojnberg Romeo JWP

Boufal Gabbi Tadic

Bench: Forster, Yoshida, Lemina, Obafemi, Davis, Bertrand

IMO we should keep a strong team, try and keep the momentum going. Just give a one or two fringe players a go. I'd also like to see Obafemi get a half an hour run out. It might be too much pressure on him to start.

The one win in a thousand games momentum is that ?

No boycott, just massive apathy. Don't know any season ticket holders that have bought a ticket. Maybe (he hopes) this will get the message to the board that we've had enough?

Speak for yourself. I really enjoyed the match on Sunday, for the first time since the Everton game in November, and will be taking the chance to spend a day in the pub for a 3pm Saturday kick off with both hands! :)

Another game in which I wouldn't be too disappointed if we lost.

Looking at our next 8 fixtures, these need to take priority.

Forster (hopefully the rest has done him good)

Pied Stephens Yoshida Sam McQueen

PEH Davis JWP

Redmond Boufal (Sims if he is about)

Gabbi

McCarthy, Hodet, Lemina, Hesketh or Sims, Long

No boycott, just massive apathy. Don't know any season ticket holders that have bought a ticket. Maybe (he hopes) this will get the message to the board that we've had enough?

I reckon there will be plenty of late buyers and we’ll end up with a crowd of 27k or so, price is good, performance against Spurs was much better plus Watford are bringing quite a few down, they’ve sold 3600 so far so even if they don’t sell out the 4500 we’ve given them they’ll still have plenty there. Most of the season ticket holders I know are going but many choosing to sit in a different area for a change, £12 for a half way line seat isn’t bad.

Who knows if we announce an exciting signing in the next day or two that might attract a few more.

Call me stupid if you like, but I'd give Redmond a go, see how he reacts to being dropped for a couple of games. I'd rest hoedt and romeu, and give boufal a run out. I might even give Forster a chance as well. Any ideas if hesketh is fit?

As Trousers says above - He's in the training pics today, mate.

Will be interesting to see how Watford played. They physically dominated us in the league match @ St Mary's.

Play strongest team so they can build momentum and partnerships. This is not the time for messing around and resting players - didn’t do Hughes much good at Stoke did it ?. Win on sat and it’s suddenly 1 loss in 6, plus an actual home win to get the fans onside. I went to Fulham - we could have played a reserve side there but we didn’t, JWP grew in confidence and it almost launched us onto a great win at Watford.