Current players who remind you of former players

Nordic Saint

Shane Long reminds me of John Sydenham. He is fast, runs in a straight line and scores a goal about every 10 games. Long would probably have made a decent left winger back in the 60s and 70s but playing him as a central striker is a bit like playing Sydenham as an old-style centre-forward would have been.

Fraser Forster reminds me of Campbell Forsyth, a big, imposing looking goalkeeper but not especially quick or agile.

Your wardrobe would probably come and claim a cross in to the 6 yard box every once in a while too...

This is what I cannot understand, I played at a decent level as a keeper and was coached by some good keepers in my time and coming for crosses was something that I worked on regularly.

I was always encouraged to claim the ball even if you had no chance of catching it get a solid punch and if necessary go through the attacker as you will not get penalised.

Now I am only 6-1" and i would claim as much as possible, not only that if the opposition know you are going to come for these crosses it deters them from making them.

This is what I cannot understand, I played at a decent level as a keeper and was coached by some good keepers in my time and coming for crosses was something that I worked on regularly.

I was always encouraged to claim the ball even if you had no chance of catching it get a solid punch and if necessary go through the attacker as you will not get penalised.

Now I am only 6-1" and i would claim as much as possible, not only that if the opposition know you are going to come for these crosses it deters them from making them.

I'm 5'6", played 3 seasons goal in Sat/Sun local Yeovil league Div 4 (ok, 15 years ago when I was still taller standing up than lying down).

Mind you, I have sharp elbows and a loud voice (I'm a teacher) and a defence that did as they were f***ing told, so everyone just got the f*** out the way!

The 18 yard box was MY area, not the piffling 6 yard tin can. Proud to be lowest goals conceded in the league 2000/01 season... :smug:

... and I came for more crosses than FF!! :lol:

Redmond reminds me of Danny Wallace, but I think it's more a recollection of Wallace in a Rank Xerox shirt than much else. Pretty sure I've seen Nick Holmes out there this season as well a couple of times this season.

Nick Holmes - Sam McQueen?

Guido Carrrillo - Gordon Watson? In style of play if not appearance.

JWP reminds me of Stevie Williams, tackles as well, just as quick and strong. Mind you, Williams is 59.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Williams had a nasty streak, JWP needs one and doesn't tackle anything like Williams, JWP is a pussy when it comes to tackling.

JWP reminds me of Stevie Williams, tackles as well, just as quick and strong. Mind you, Williams is 59.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I was going to say the exact same thing but agree with Derry about Williams being nastier, I particularly remember the two legged tackles which I don’t think Jwp would get away with these days.

It was a joke Derry , a corny one copied from Bill Shankley. When a reporter asked Shanks if he agreed that Mick Channons performances drew comparison with Tom Finney replied "Aye you could be right, but to be fair to Tom, he is in his 50's".

For the avoidance of any doubt, my opinion is this. Williams is one of the best players I've ever seen pull on the shirt. JWP, isn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter